Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mentholmoose posted:

I don't really know that there's anything else you can do, short of moving up rounds. Everyone has to have the same number of players in the end.

look if someone wants to trade me their first, second, and third picks for my first, 24th, and 25th I'm probably not going to say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bewbies posted:

I'll do a "team photo" for everyone also: GMs, send me a 150x150 team logo and team colors (main/secondary/pinstripes) by either HTML code or RGB.

since I'm being dull and playing as the Mets can you just use their OOTP default ones?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

since I'm being dull and playing as the Mets can you just use their OOTP default ones?

Yep, figured out how to do this. If you're an MLB team don't worry about it unless you want me to use a special logo or something.

Also for the sake of simplicity I'd suggest no draft trades; if you want to trade players after they're drafted that is fine but everything has to be even numbers (ie, 1 for 1, 2 for 2, etc)

bewbies fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 30, 2020

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

bewbies posted:

Yep, figured out how to do this. If you're an MLB team don't worry about it unless you want me to use a special logo or something.

Thank goodness. Do they have historical alternates so I can use the orange/yellow stripe jerseys for the Astros? No big deal if that's not option.

Oh, and just out of curiosity... What's the venue for the ASG/Derby?

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 30, 2020

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
But I want the fat guy team :smith:

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Yaya posted:

But I want the fat guy team :smith:

Make a fat guy team that is so good that the Babe will be begging to join you via midseason trade.

Yo bewbies, for the coin flip for years part:

quote:

Players will be either a straight lift from their draft year or a 3 year window averaging around their draft year, dependent on a coinflip. So, you can snag a one-year wonder hoping for that annus mirabilis, but you might get that player's 3 year average around the draft year instead. Note that this is not affected by injury seasons or missed time due to other reasons (ie, WWII)

Say a hypothetical player had the following years:

2000: very good
2001: great
2002: #2 in MVP votes
2003: injured, missed 120 games
2004: very good, plays 120 games

If someone drafted that player for 2002, and the coinflip landed on 3-year average, does it average 2001 thru 2003? The "this is not affected" phrase leaves me uncertain.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In other words don't draft Larry Doby or Hack Wilson

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Are we just picking in here or are we making a separate pick thread

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I figure picks/discussion ought to all be in here. Easier to keep track of and flows better.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

Make a fat guy team that is so good that the Babe will be begging to join you via midseason trade.

Yo bewbies, for the coin flip for years part:

Say a hypothetical player had the following years:

2000: very good
2001: great
2002: #2 in MVP votes
2003: injured, missed 120 games
2004: very good, plays 120 games

If someone drafted that player for 2002, and the coinflip landed on 3-year average, does it average 2001 thru 2003? The "this is not affected" phrase leaves me uncertain.

it is all based off of a kind of base talent level, so unless the injury was a debilitating/permanent one it won't affect anything.... in this case if he came back strong in 2004 then 2003 will have the same or similar base talent level regardless of the injury or actual stats

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Draft starts today?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

As far as I understand, it should start in about two hours.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah IcePhoenix is up at 10 AM.

Did we get a final draft sheet to sort everyone's picks out?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Draft Info

Please post your picks in the following format:

DRAFT PICK

With the X pick in the X round, (team) picks (Player Name) (Player Year) (Player Team)

Then enter it on the spreadsheet HERE

So, for example:

quote:

DRAFT PICK

With the 99th pick in the 99th round, the Kansas City Monarchs Select Neifi Perez, 2002 Kansas City Royals

Then please send a PM to the next GM in line letting them know they're up! (assuming they have PMs)

bewbies fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 1, 2020

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ehhhhhhhhhhhh just pay attention to the thread rather than sending PMs.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, i'm not sending PMs lol.

Also, i thought the list in the OP was the order. When my turn comes up i should be able to post within the hour (i'm at work), but my effort post will have to be tonight, or maybe on my lunch.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I will only PM the next GM during even rounds

but as a courtesy, whoever has the second pick should know that I'm only taking as much of the two hours as it takes me to notice that it's finally past 9:00 when I'm working

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Yeah we don't need to send PM's or format our picks perfectly, it'll be fine.

e: Also why doesn't the sheet have extra columns for years/player positions/notes?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ignore my previous note about PMs! (we did that in the old football drafts)

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Also it's close enough to 10 Eastern, I'm declaring this draft go.

On the clock: IcePhoenix (until 12PM EST)

On deck: El Gallinero Gros

In the hole: Julio Cruz
Duckman2008
Zodiac5000

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Before kicking off the draft, the Minnesota Twins are excited to announce that, in honor of the history that we are celebrating with this draft, they will be returning to their first home to play baseball, Metropolitan Stadium

With that sorted

With the first overall pick of the Something Awful All-Time MLB draft, the Minnesota Twins select

Barry Bonds, 2002, San Francisco Giants, LF/DH

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Not as important for the first round cause we're likely picking all time greats, but a couple sentences on why you're picking whoever you're picking would be cool.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I thought Babe Ruth would've been the slam dunk first pick, but yeah, Barry's 2001-2004 era was just as ludicrous with the bat, and you just can't beat those walk numbers. I like it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I was pretty near 100% certain that Bonds wouldn't still be available for me at #3. And I don't think Ruth will be either.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

mentholmoose posted:

Not as important for the first round cause we're likely picking all time greats, but a couple sentences on why you're picking whoever you're picking would be cool.

Barry Bonds is the best hitter of all time is the reason

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not even a hall of famer.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

love this...we should definitely put giant color pics of our ballpark choices in here.

Also kind of hard to choose between those late career Bonds seasons....

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bewbies posted:

love this...we should definitely put giant color pics of our ballpark choices in here.

Also kind of hard to choose between those late career Bonds seasons....

I debated it a little bit but it's the double whammy of being his highest OPS+ season (and the highest of all time) and also the best choice for a three year snapshot if that's the way the coin flips

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Nippon Ham Fighters are pleased to select Leftfielder Ted Williams, season 1941

We'll be playing in Petco Park

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 1, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the New York Mets announce they will be playing in Shea Stadium

and with the 3rd pick in the 1st round, the New York Mets select starting pitcher "Big Train" Walter Johnson, 1913 Washington Senators

thought about taking Ruth when it turned out I'd have the option, but instead I'm sticking with my original pick for reasons that may become clear as the draft progresses

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 1, 2020

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Assembling the key info in one post (El Gallinero Gros could you please edit into the OP when you get the chance? Merci!)

Draft Order (Snake-style)

1. IcePhoenix (Minnesota Twins)
  2. El Gallinero Gros (Nippon Ham Fighters)
  3. Julio Cruz (New York Mets)
  4. Duckman2008 (Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs)
  5. Zodiac 5000 (Sioux Falls Canaries)
  6. Carlosologist (New York Yankees)
  7. Paul Zuvella (Honkbal Hoofdklasse All Stars)
  8. Jordan7hm (Ottawa Lynx)
  9. The McD (Yomiuri Giants)
  10. Blind Pineapple (Houston Astros)
  11. kalensc (les Expos de Montréal)
  12. flyingllama (Atlanta Braves)
  13. Inanutshell (Toronto Blue Jays)
  14. T Bone (Wichita Jobbers)
  15. Ginette Reno (New York Giants)
  16. bewbies (Kansas City Monarchs)
  17. Philadelphia Phillies
  18. Yaya (Hanshin Tigers)

When announcing your draft picks, please begin the post using the following format:

With the X pick in the X round, (team) picks (Player Name) (Player Year) (Player Team)

You're also encouraged to include a brief explanation as to why you selected them (i.e. particular stats, personal fave, other anecdote, etc)

Lastly, please enter it on the spreadsheet HERE

Draft Rules
  • Snake format

• Full 25 man roster

• Runs from 10 am to 10 pm Eastern

• Pick window lasts 2 hours starting from previous pick

• Timer stops overnight, i.e. if pick X-1 at 9:45 pm then pick X has until 11:45 am

• If you miss a pick(s), make it whenever you get back

• If you will be unavailable then please send a shortlist to a fellow drafter that can pick for you

• You are drafting a player from a certain year: ie, "1941 Ted Williams"

• A player can only be drafted once (ie, once "1941 Ted Williams" is gone, no more Ted Williams)

• As a part of your first pick, choose your ballpark. Has to be a current or historical park that housed a MLB team at some point.
  • Players will be either a straight lift from their draft year or a 3 year window averaging around their draft year, dependent on a coinflip. So, you can snag a one-year wonder hoping for that annus mirabilis, but you might get that player's 3 year average around the draft year instead. Note that this is not affected by injury seasons or missed time due to other reasons (ie, WWII)

• No injuries, but both pitcher and player fatigue will be on so players will be rotated

• Only one pre-1900 player per team

• Note: Negro league players are not well represented in the database. I will build these players manually such that they are representative of their historical reputations in a major league environment, ie, Satchel Paige will be Real Good

Out of the Ballpark (Sim League)

• 162 game schedule including All Star Game and Home Run Derby

• 18 teams in two 9-team sub leagues (AL/NL)

• Top 4 teams in each subleague make the playoffs, so an 8 team bracket. Division series best of 5, Championship and World Series best of 7

• DH in both leagues

• Stats will be a rough average of post-integration stats

• Global tactics will be modern; managers can adjust specific team tactics however they wish

• No managers, no team chemistry, no player personalities

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

and with the 3rd pick in the 1st round, the New York Mets select starting pitcher "Big Train" Walter Johnson, 1913 Washington Senators

handsome fucker

You know one thing I'm pretty curious about...all of these guys would of course destroy a normal league, but I've never seen how this works when the baseline player is a hall of famer. Like, Can George Brett hit .300 when he's facing Walter Johnsons all year long?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

bewbies posted:

handsome fucker

You know one thing I'm pretty curious about...all of these guys would of course destroy a normal league, but I've never seen how this works when the baseline player is a hall of famer. Like, Can George Brett hit .300 when he's facing Walter Johnsons all year long?

Yeah I had asked this upthread, if you knew from past experience if batting or pitching held up better in a league of all-star teams.

Guess it's good for the rest of us that you are also uncertain! =P

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm just gonna draft a team of cool players and worry about that later

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm just gonna draft a team of cool players and worry about that later

recommend this approach, and then get really upset at your superstar-but-not-legend player when he can't get past the mendoza line

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

bewbies posted:

It all depends on how you approach the idea. There's room to say that Babe Ruth wouldn't be able to do poo poo against an elite modern relief pitcher just throwing ridiculous heat and breaking pitches that defy physics, or that he had legit talent that would've shone regardless of how much the game has evolved in the meantime. The same logic can apply to pitchers. The average hitter has evolved drastically from 1913 to 2020. Would Walter Johnson be that elite if he were in the current day? We can't really say. At least I sure as gently caress can't.

All this just muddles the waters even more when it comes to answering that question.

All we really have is simulation engines with inherent biases. So we from the Super-League have experience with Baseball Mogul 2013's biases, which for instance say that if Mike Schmidt faced elite pitchers all the time, he'd suck because he struck out a whole bunch, and obviously these elite pitchers would have him striking out even more and walking less. Which leads to Mike Schmidt putting up slash lines like .244/.318/.450, which isn't bad, but it's not Mike Schmidt, really.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

kalensc posted:

Assembling the key info in one post (El Gallinero Gros could you please edit into the OP when you get the chance? Merci!)

Draft Order (Snake-style)

1. IcePhoenix (Minnesota Twins)
  2. El Gallinero Gros (Nippon Ham Fighters)
  3. Julio Cruz (New York Mets)
  4. Duckman2008 (Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs)
  5. Zodiac 5000 (Sioux Falls Canaries)
  6. Carlosologist (New York Yankees)
  7. Paul Zuvella (Honkbal Hoofdklasse All Stars)
  8. Jordan7hm (Ottawa Lynx)
  9. The McD (Yomiuri Giants)
  10. Blind Pineapple (Houston Astros)
  11. kalensc (les Expos de Montréal)
  12. flyingllama (Atlanta Braves)
  13. Inanutshell (Toronto Blue Jays)
  14. T Bone (Wichita Jobbers)
  15. Ginette Reno (New York Giants)
  16. bewbies (Kansas City Monarchs)
  17. Philadelphia Phillies
  18. Yaya (Hanshin Tigers)

When announcing your draft picks, please begin the post using the following format:

You're also encouraged to include a brief explanation as to why you selected them (i.e. particular stats, personal fave, other anecdote, etc)

Lastly, please enter it on the spreadsheet HERE

Draft Rules
  • Snake format

• Full 25 man roster

• Runs from 10 am to 10 pm Eastern

• Pick window lasts 2 hours starting from previous pick

• Timer stops overnight, i.e. if pick X-1 at 9:45 pm then pick X has until 11:45 am

• If you miss a pick(s), make it whenever you get back

• If you will be unavailable then please send a shortlist to a fellow drafter that can pick for you

• You are drafting a player from a certain year: ie, "1941 Ted Williams"

• A player can only be drafted once (ie, once "1941 Ted Williams" is gone, no more Ted Williams)

• As a part of your first pick, choose your ballpark. Has to be a current or historical park that housed a MLB team at some point.
  • Players will be either a straight lift from their draft year or a 3 year window averaging around their draft year, dependent on a coinflip. So, you can snag a one-year wonder hoping for that annus mirabilis, but you might get that player's 3 year average around the draft year instead. Note that this is not affected by injury seasons or missed time due to other reasons (ie, WWII)

• No injuries, but both pitcher and player fatigue will be on so players will be rotated

• Only one pre-1900 player per team

• Note: Negro league players are not well represented in the database. I will build these players manually such that they are representative of their historical reputations in a major league environment, ie, Satchel Paige will be Real Good

Out of the Ballpark (Sim League)

• 162 game schedule including All Star Game and Home Run Derby

• 18 teams in two 9-team sub leagues (AL/NL)

• Top 4 teams in each subleague make the playoffs, so an 8 team bracket. Division series best of 5, Championship and World Series best of 7

• DH in both leagues

• Stats will be a rough average of post-integration stats

• Global tactics will be modern; managers can adjust specific team tactics however they wish

• No managers, no team chemistry, no player personalities

Done.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Folks, as I have alluded here and elsewhere, while I enjoy baseball, I do not have a strong grasp on it or follow it closely.

Therefore, one would think “well, how can Duckman know who to pick?”

Growing up, I did have one source that did teach me all my current baseball knowledge. I learned player names, it provided stats, abilities , and current team.

Thankfully, for me, I still have this source:

That’s right , the ultimate guide , and best (and only) baseball game I have really played intensely. Ken Griffey Jr 64.

And while I don’t have time at the moment to set it up to evaluate stats right now (I hope my system still works), I don’t need to turn on the game to know who will lead my Ken Griffey Jr 64 team.

The Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs select, as their team face and franchise

Ken Griffey Jr , year 1997
Edit Edit: The game had 1997 Rosters, so all players will be 1997 Rosters.

1997-1998 season (which will be everyone’s season)

A true legend, and baseball and video game hero. I will post his (video game) stats later, assuming my N64 and game work.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 1, 2020

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Ken Griffey Jr
1997-1998 season (which will be everyone’s season)

just FYI baseball seasons don't work this way, you need to pick either '97 or '98

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Julio Cruz posted:

just FYI baseball seasons don't work this way, you need to pick either '97 or '98

"The 1997-1998 season" should be "the 1997 season", I would figure.