Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I was thinking it'd be fun to do an all time MLB draft.

Some carryover rules from the NHL draft

-You can only draft a player once. If you do draft a player, specify what era. I.E, if you draft Rickey Henderson, what period?One of his stints in NY? Oakland?

- I propose a limit of only 1 player per team being allowed from the pre 1900's. Like, Bid McPhee played without a glove. That would not fly now.

-Im unsure if we should allow people who never made it to the show. Like Martin DiHigo was apparently amazing but simming it might be tough. Open to discussion on this, maybe bewbies can help.

-40 man rosters. If we sim it in OOTP, this will be necessary. Players get hurt.

-Gimmicks are encouraged but not required.

-Draft should be conducted snake style.

-Be any baseball team. I am claiming the Nippon Ham Fighters.

I can edit this if people have suggestions

El Gallinero Gros- Nippon Ham Fighters
IcePhoenix- Minnesota Twins
Carlosologist- NY Yankees
kalensc- Montreal Expos
Inanutshell- Toronto Blue Jays
flyingllama- Atlanta Braves
Julio Cruz- NY Mets (Apu's favorite squadron)
mentholmoose- Philadelphia Phillies
Zodiac 5000- Sioux Falls Canaries
Paul Zuvella- Honkbal Hoofdklasse All Stars
The McD- Yomiuri Giants
Jordan7hm- Ottawa Lynx
Duckman2008- LeHigh Valley Iron Pigs
Yaya- Hanshin Tigers
Blind Pineapple- Houston Astros
Ginette Reno- NY Giants
T Bone- Wichita Jobbers
bewbies- Kansas City Monarchs

Draft Order (Snake-style)

IcePhoenix (Minnesota Twins)
El Gallinero Gros (Nippon Ham Fighters)
Julio Cruz (New York Mets)
Duckman2008 (Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs)
Zodiac 5000 (Sioux Falls Canaries)
Carlosologist (New York Yankees)
Paul Zuvella (Honkbal Hoofdklasse All Stars)
Jordan7hm (Ottawa Lynx)
The McD (Yomiuri Giants)
Blind Pineapple (Houston Astros)
kalensc (les Expos de Montréal)
flyingllama (Atlanta Braves)
Inanutshell (Toronto Blue Jays)
T Bone (Wichita Jobbers)
Ginette Reno (New York Giants)
bewbies (Kansas City Monarchs)
Philadelphia Phillies (memtholmoose)
Yaya (Hanshin Tigers)

When announcing your draft picks, please begin the post using the following format:

With the X pick in the X round, (team) picks (Player Name) (Player Year) (Player Team)

You're also encouraged to include a brief explanation as to why you selected them (i.e. particular stats, personal fave, other anecdote, etc)

Lastly, please enter it on the spreadsheet HERE

Draft Rules
Snake format

Full 25 man roster

Runs from 10 am to 10 pm Eastern

Pick window lasts 2 hours starting from previous pick

Timer stops overnight, i.e. if pick X-1 at 9:45 pmthen pick X has until 11:45 am

If you miss a pick(s), make it whenever you get back

If you will be unavailable then please send a shortlist to a fellow drafter that can pick for you

You are drafting a player from a certain year: ie, "1941 Ted Williams" 

A player can only be drafted once (ie, once "1941 Ted Williams" is gone, no more Ted Williams)

As a part of your first pick, choose your ballpark. Has to be a current or historical park that housed a MLB team at some point.
Players will be either a straight lift from their draft year or a 3 year window averaging around their draft year, dependent on a coinflip. So, you can snag a one-year wonder hoping for that annus mirabilis, but you might get that player's 3 year average around the draft year instead. Note that this is not affected by injury seasons or missed time due to other reasons (ie, WWII)

No injuries, but both pitcher and player fatigue will be on so players will be rotated

Only one pre-1900 player per team

Note: Negro league players are not well represented in the database. I will build these players manually such that they are representative of their historical reputations in a major league environment, ie, Satchel Paige will be Real Good

Out of the Ballpark (Sim League)

162 game schedule including All Star Game and Home Run Derby

18 teams in two 9-team sub leagues (AL/NL)

Top 4 teams in each subleague make the playoffs, so an 8 team bracket. Division series best of 5, Championship and World Series best of 7

DH in both leagues

Stats will be a rough average of post-integration stats

Global tactics will be modern; managers can adjust specific team tactics however they wish

No managers, no team chemistry, no player personalities

Roster page: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1avgshODJ5xEm8wZK2u_ANqsy54lM4bihIx6xmXXKqek/edit?usp=sharing

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:47 on May 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

We're gonna win, Twins

Specifically the baby blues from the 70s/80s

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I would suggest picking a specific season for a player. Like say I wanted to draft 2007 Alex Rodriguez.

I'm down to play as the Yankees. I can cook up a drive spreadsheet and we can do draft order by RNG once we get everyone in. How many rounds?

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
EXPOS

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

I would suggest picking a specific season for a player. Like say I wanted to draft 2007 Alex Rodriguez.

I'm down to play as the Yankees. I can cook up a drive spreadsheet and we can do draft order by RNG once we get everyone in. How many rounds?

Well, 40 man roster with maybe 30-35 participants.

Specific season is fine. Allows someone like Larry Doby, who had a short peak to get picked

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Here's the Google Sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1avgshODJ5xEm8wZK2u_ANqsy54lM4bihIx6xmXXKqek/edit?usp=sharing

If anyone wants to take a stab at making it look cute be my guest, otherwise the skeleton is in place

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm down for loading this into OOTP and running a season. I'd recommend maybe an 18-20 team league maybe some additional roster rules for the sake of "fun" like:

- Player can only get drafted once (ie, "1923 Babe Ruth" is the only time Babe Ruth can get drafted)
- Have to draft one player from each decade from 1900s through 2010s.
- Have to have draft players from at least 4 different countries.

Also 40 rounds of this is a LOT. I recommend doing 16 rounds: aim for 9 hitters, 5 SPs, 2 RPs, but you can draft whoever you want. I'll fill in the rest of the 40 man with random replacement level guys.

Run 162 game regular season and then EPIC playoffs with 16 teams and 7 game series? I'm indifferent to the season structure.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
We already had the only draft a player once rule.

But I like the idea of shorter rosters

Not sure about the decade thing.

Also did you want a team, or...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'll just run the sim so as to maintain the illusion of fairness.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I'll take the Braves

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My brother is taking the Blue Jays

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

bewbies posted:

I'm down for loading this into OOTP and running a season. I'd recommend maybe an 18-20 team league maybe some additional roster rules for the sake of "fun" like:

- Player can only get drafted once (ie, "1923 Babe Ruth" is the only time Babe Ruth can get drafted)
- Have to draft one player from each decade from 1900s through 2010s.
- Have to have draft players from at least 4 different countries.

Also 40 rounds of this is a LOT. I recommend doing 16 rounds: aim for 9 hitters, 5 SPs, 2 RPs, but you can draft whoever you want. I'll fill in the rest of the 40 man with random replacement level guys.

Run 162 game regular season and then EPIC playoffs with 16 teams and 7 game series? I'm indifferent to the season structure.

I like these suggestions but have questions:

- If we select a specific year for a player, does that mean the sim will use only that season as the player's expected value (or however OotP labels things) or will it use a player's whole career? In other words, do one-year wonders gain a lot of value in this proposed sim?

- Mandating a variety of decades sounds like a fun reason to read up on old players. Just want to know how our chosen year affects the sim outcome, as mentioned above.

- Country-variety is also a nice touch!

I agree that a mandated 40 rounds is a tad excessive.

Perhaps a compromise of "GMs must make their first X picks and satisfy the decades/countries conditions themselves, but subsequently may opt to auto-draft their remaining 40-X selections"?

That way those keen to craft every aspect of the roster can do so, and other folks can lock down their starting lineup and core pitchers before entrusting the autopicker for the bench spots.

Although you did specify replacement-level, so perhaps that would prove too unbalanced. If there isn't a reasonable option for fairly handling all that, then I'd be fine with 20ish picks? Just to be able to add a personal fave or two to the roster who didn't merit a top-16 pick, or ensure depth via 6th pitcher, utility IF, utility OF, and/or backup catcher.

P.S. I shotgun Youppi! as mascot, this is non-negotiable. A carpetbagger and corrupt commiah stole my childhood team and moved em to DC, so I'm giving Youppi! a simulated lifetime deal dangit!

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My brother is taking the Blue Jays

Excellent, a new rival approaches!

Also I'm prob gonna include some Montreal Royal info from time to time. Different org obv but same city and there's some tales to be told.

I've no attachment to the Expos org post-2004, so the Washington Senators/Nationals are up for grabs.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
down for this as the Mets

if I can do better than 40-120 I'm calling it a win

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

kalensc posted:

- If we select a specific year for a player, does that mean the sim will use only that season as the player's expected value (or however OotP labels things) or will it use a player's whole career? In other words, do one-year wonders gain a lot of value in this proposed sim?

Yeah, I like the idea of picking a specific year for a player and being forced to represent different decades, but I'd like to avoid people like Brady Anderson being drafted

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
I think for now we should keep it similar to the NHL draft:

- Only player restriction would probably be limit of one pre-1900 player per team, similar to the pre-expansion rule we had in the NHL draft.
- And of course each player only being draftable once (a person could draft the same person as coach and player if they wanted)
- 25 man roster (+ a coach, so 26 rounds) instead of 40, that way you get a standard major league team and people should actually stay around the whole time.
- Drafting by year/era is up to you, the original idea of the draft was just a thought exercise and sims were considered later.
- Decades/countries conditions are too much of a pain in the rear end for a lot of people to deal with

e: Also I am obviously going to take the Philadelphia Phillies.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 28, 2020

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I'd be all in as the Sioux Falls Canaries!

edit - I'd also suggest a 25 man roster instead of 40. I'm down to draft a 40, but I think interest will wane in a bunch of folks by the mid twenties already.

Zodiac5000 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 28, 2020

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I am absolutely interested in this. I'll take the Yomiuri Giants as my team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Can my team be the Honkbal Hoofdklasse All Stars?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can my team be the Honkbal Hoofdklasse All Stars?

Absolutely.

I'm frankly surprised nobody has taken the Lansing Lugnuts.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress you kalensc.

I’m in, Ottawa Lynx.

The only two teams I know or ever cared about. I guess I cared about the jays but gently caress Toronto.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
I’ll take my home town Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs.
As will become apparent very early on, I have a very limited knowledge of baseball players.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

kalensc posted:

There's a few different ways to do this:

- Just load the player from a specific year (ie, you draft 1996 Brady Anderson, you get 1996 Brady Anderson's 156 OPS+)
- Do a 3 year rolling average with the specified year in the middle (ie, you get Brady Anderson's 1995-1997 OPS+ of 132)
- Do a coin flip to see if you get 1996 Brady Anderson's 156 OPS+, or a peak career Brady Anderson's OPS+ of 120

I kind of like the 3rd option the best, gives you a shot at a real outlier season while not incentivizing everyone to go after the Bob The Hammer Hamelins of the world.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

There's a few different ways to do this:

- Just load the player from a specific year (ie, you draft 1996 Brady Anderson, you get 1996 Brady Anderson's 156 OPS+)
- Do a 3 year rolling average with the specified year in the middle (ie, you get Brady Anderson's 1995-1997 OPS+ of 132)
- Do a coin flip to see if you get 1996 Brady Anderson's 156 OPS+, or a peak career Brady Anderson's OPS+ of 120

I kind of like the 3rd option the best, gives you a shot at a real outlier season while not incentivizing everyone to go after the Bob The Hammer Hamelins of the world.

My brother had a good question: is there a way to manage egos in OOTP? Like let's say your 4th outfielder is a multi time all star. Might not like being on the bench.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My brother had a good question: is there a way to manage egos in OOTP? Like let's say your 4th outfielder is a multi time all star.

There is indeed! You can make guys be huge selfish dicks and give them expected roles on the team and if they aren't given said roles they will throw tantrums.

Just the other day I had Bobby Witt Jr attack Maximo Acosta; I had to suspend him for 5 games.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

There is indeed! You can make guys be huge selfish dicks and give them expected roles on the team and if they aren't given said roles they will throw tantrums.

Just the other day I had Bobby Witt Jr attack Maximo Acosta; I had to suspend him for 5 games.

Good. My general concern is that some of the folks playing might not know that stars are also huge cancers. I don't want casuals getting hosed into a 52-110 because of locker room chemistry issues.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah...you can turn off all of the "team chemistry" stuff if you want to. I'd actually recommend it for an exercise like this as the historical players' personalities are often not very accurate and it wouldn't add much to the fun anyway.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bewbies posted:

Yeah...you can turn off all of the "team chemistry" stuff if you want to. I'd actually recommend it for an exercise like this as the historical players' personalities are often not very accurate and it wouldn't add much to the fun anyway.

I think that's the way to go.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I'm in, give me the Hanshin Tigers and their cursed KFC statue.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Would we draft in this thread at our own (reasonable) pace or use a third party app where we all have to be together at a certain time? If it's the former, I'd love to have something to pass the quarantine time, but with 2 kids doing the latter would be more difficult.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For the nhl one we post in the thread with some time restrictions and then a bunch of us are on discord for further shitposting.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Ok, well sign me up to rep the Houston Astros (80s orange/yellow stripe unis).

Edit: Also DH, yay or nay?

Blind Pineapple fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 28, 2020

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I'm down for the DH, and I like the idea of using the coinflip of the player's best season or their career average.

I also updated the sheet with the sign-ups, so far there's 15 teams in. What's gonna be the cap?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
My baseball knowledge circa High Heat 2002 is very strong. Give me the Wichita Jobbers please.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'll take the New York Giants.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Carlosologist posted:

I'm down for the DH, and I like the idea of using the coinflip of the player's best season or their career average.

I also updated the sheet with the sign-ups, so far there's 15 teams in. What's gonna be the cap?

I assume DH is yay since this is about fun

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

e: nevermind, not too keen on an all-time draft

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 28, 2020

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
could always do AL/NL DH/no DH, i bet the numbers would be pretty close

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Not sure who this inanutshell fellow is; but he sounds handsome, and has great taste in baseball.

Also very excited to see the obscure players on display for some of the teams that signed up. I almost feel guilty for playing as the Jays; but they're my jam. They're only 2 years older than me, so they've always been in my life.

Hoping we get a big turn out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I think DH for both.

Also, are we doing 20 teams? Or maybe 24?