Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Lets take a quick aside to look at a book from another publisher: Released at a technically unknown point in 1993 (though given that it's a British annual, it had to be apparently around July-August that year), Grandreams published this. It seems like the interior contents were produced before StC's first stories, though I didn't start the thread off with this because it wouldn't feel right to start a thread about StC with a non-StC book.

Outside of editor Barrie Tomlinson (who was also editor on Fleetway's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles book, which was a mix of reprints from the American Archie comic and new stories from British creators), none of the stories in this book have credits; we know some stuff from outside sources but not everything.

Script: Alan McKenzie
Art: Richard Elson (who also did the cover)
Letters: appears to be John Aldrich's style

Richard Elson is perhaps the most iconic of artists to work on StC. Having got his start on 2000 AD, he would also do some art for the aforementioned TMHT series (and some other licensed books), which got him his gig on this, which led to his gig on StC proper. Post-StC he would become a major artist on 2000 AD, most notably being the artist on Kingdom. He would also do some stuff for Marvel, most notably doing the art for Amazing Spider Man #698 (aka the story that kicked off the whole Superior Spider Man stuff), written by former Archie Sonic writer Dan Slott.

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Script: Alan McKenzie (?)
Art: gently caress if I know
Letters: John Aldrich

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Script: Alan McKenzie
Art: you can read the artist signature on the first page, don't need me to tell you
Letters: I'm starting to think John Aldrich did this whole yearbook

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 15, 2021

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Script: Alan McKenzie(?)
Art: Still no clue
Letters: looks like someone other than Aldrich this time

And so ends the Yearbook

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

This is the ideal hedgehog body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Camel toe-eye

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

I read Der Sonic Comic in Germany, but I don't know if it was the same one ... It also had random not-sonic stories it, but it also had Tails side-stories where he was a knight or something? I also dont recall any review sections, just comics...

Also tails was sometimes drawn with an unusually large forehead that was really off-putting.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
lol, wow, the celeb zone bit is amazing, Julian Clary, Andy Green and Andy Peters, so nostalgic! Also; holy poo poo, Wolfchild! Haven't thought about that game in like 25 years... more?!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Script: Michael Cook
Art: Brian Williamson
Colors: Steve White (early StC doesn't separate out the artist and colorist in the art credit, the actual credit listed is Art: Brian Williamson/Steve White)
Letters: Elle de'Ville

Cook, Williamson, and White were all 2000 AD guys (with Cook being the writer of the 2000 AD serial Dead Meat). Pre-2000 AD White was known for his work at Marvel UK, having editor, writer, and colorist credit on various titles (such as editing on Action Force, aka what GI Joe was called in the UK, and coloring on Transformers). He's also the inspiration for the character Semi-Automatic Steve from Lew Stringer's (remember that name for later) Combat Colin that ran initially in Action Force and later in Transformers

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Lol at rating Make My Video and Gunstar Heroes within 10% of each other.

azurite fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 16, 2021

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Script: Mark Millar
Art: Peter Richardson
Letters: Tom Frame

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

Hell yea Kid Chameleon! Definitely a game series that deserves a reboot, imo

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Wonder Boy

https://twitter.com/sonicpodcast/status/1403405498653757442?s=20

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Kinda great to see these Judge Dredd artists consistently screw up drawing a character as simplified as Sonic. It's one thing to go off model but some of these panels are on their way to becoming real deviantart level shite. I love it.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Sourdough Sam posted:

Kinda great to see these Judge Dredd artists consistently screw up drawing a character as simplified as Sonic. It's one thing to go off model but some of these panels are on their way to becoming real deviantart level shite. I love it.

Assuming you're excluding Richard Elson from that (there will be a time when Richard Elson's Sonic starts to look a bit weird, but that's not until late in the comic's life) then agreed. Just you wait till you see the Kid Chameleon art team do a Sonic strip.

Most of the later non-Elson artists do a pretty decent job, but these early days are rough.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

This is a neat thread OP

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at finding out that Mark Millar worked on that crap. On par with finding out that Grant Morrisons first professional gig was writing for those small comics that came with Zoids. Those things sure where a step up from the ones you got with He-Man figures.

Also, all these comics become better if you read them with silly British accents. You best believe my version of Sonic sounds like the chav player voice from Saint's Row.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

(another Carl Flint cover)

For reference this origin actually came from Sega of America, it's just that UK media ended up following it more than American media did

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
That Streets of Rage comic is completely unacceptable.

The three cops who quit the force (to punch criminals on the streets... of Rage!) were Axel, Blaze, and Adam. Max was a pro wrestler who was added in the second game, and he was never a cop. If they're not going to take it seriously, then why even bother???

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

That Streets of Rage comic is completely unacceptable.

The three cops who quit the force (to punch criminals on the streets... of Rage!) were Axel, Blaze, and Adam. Max was a pro wrestler who was added in the second game, and he was never a cop. If they're not going to take it seriously, then why even bother???

Wouldn't be surprised if they were going off incomplete info of just the 2nd game, given that Max was given a different last name too

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Lodin posted:

Lol at finding out that Mark Millar worked on that crap. On par with finding out that Grant Morrisons first professional gig was writing for those small comics that came with Zoids. Those things sure where a step up from the ones you got with He-Man figures.
Yeah, I'm left wondering just how many British comic creators got their start doing media tie-ins.

quote:

Also, all these comics become better if you read them with silly British accents. You best believe my version of Sonic sounds like the chav player voice from Saint's Row.
I have been wondering how Sonic is supposed to be read in these things.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Oh poo poo i forgot to finish yesterday's issue

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Keromaru5 posted:

Yeah, I'm left wondering just how many British comic creators got their start doing media tie-ins.

I have been wondering how Sonic is supposed to be read in these things.

Charlie Brooker (of Black Mirror fame) cut his teeth doing sort of satyrical comics to advertise Computer Exchange (I think the equivalent would be like, gamestop, in the US? Basically just second hand games and hardware, and you can trade stuff in there). They shortened their name to CEX and their slogan was like "Have Group CEX", y'know they were kind of edgy (They have hand-drawn graffiti style posters in their stores to this day).

ALSO: OMG That Tomy water pump game thing as a prize, holy poo poo that's so cute, gently caress me, that's like being punched right in the nostalgia balls. Goddamn, this comic, I wasn't really ever that into Sonic, but this thread has made me realise that for whatever reason STC was a surprisingly dominant force on my childhood!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Dizzy 90%. We had to dock 10% for not being the Zed-Ex Spectrum version.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

worth noting from the convo you guys are having that Millar was already an established name on 2000 AD at this point, so it's not like we're seeing Millar's very first work here

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Looks like I started reading this thread just in time, heavily looking forward to how badly decap attack has aged since being the most hilarious comic ever when I was 9

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Doccykins posted:

Looks like I started reading this thread just in time, heavily looking forward to how badly decap attack has aged since being the most hilarious comic ever when I was 9

Decap Attack was the only game that featured as a comic I never played :smith:
I'm sure it was probably shite.

... Also my favourite controller ever was the 6 button megadrive pad, and I still have a 360 fightpad (currently being worn out by GG strive) that I mostly use for nostalgia reasons

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Script and Art: Nigel Kitching
Letters: Steve Potter

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

from late 1993 to early 1995 the UK's News of the World Sunday magazine ran a Sonic strip in it. What makes it relevant for this thread is the fact that the art for the strip for a good chunk of its life was done by Richard Elson. (writing wise it was done by Barrie Tomlinson, the guy who served as editor on the yearbooks)

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

from late 1993 to early 1995 the UK's News of the World Sunday magazine ran a Sonic strip in it.

Sonic hacks a dead child's phone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

Decap Attack was the only game that featured as a comic I never played :smith:
I'm sure it was probably shite.

It was ok.