Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Bad Purchase posted:

plus you can bring your guitar with you to parties and begin playing unprompted, they will love it

I mean, don't force it, but busting out a guitar around a fire after everyone has had a few beers can lead to loving awesome times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*(((decresendo)))* (((((help)))))

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

-open water swimming

not even for fitness just try and swim in as many open waters as possible

remember ABS: Always Bring Shorts (and a towel)

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i like cooking as a hobby but cooking on a weekday after getting home from work at 6:00 is a totally different thing than having nothing to do on a Sunday so you make chicken marsala and a loaf of bread from scratch or whatever.

My wife and I make candles. We're suburban winos so we cut the tops of empty wine bottles off and make scented candles in them. It's something fun to do at home together besides watch more loving TV. Also I have 2 dogs so my other hobby is picking up poo. Other cool hobbies are smoking weed, eating candy, and reading in a big chair.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Learn to crochet or knit. There's lots of YouTube videos that will show you how to do it and it's like 10 bucks at Michaels to get into it. Your friends will tease you about being a grandparent but you will become so much cozier than any of them and you can laugh from underneath your warm blankets while they shiver in the... wait. You're in LA. I dunno I got nothing for you.

Hey, crafting things for simple enjoyment of the process is very rewarding. I picked crochet up from YouTube during the 2008 recession while unemployed.

Amigurumi is crocheting tiny cute stuffed things and v. fun, it's a good way to get some easy wins under one's belt while building skill for larger projects. Once gave someone I knew well an unnaturally large, uncircumcised, happy-face-having, soothing oil-scented and bran-stuffed dick+balls amigurumi pillow as a gag gift. Was proud of having worked out the mobile foreskin, the pattern/proportions, the color way, and the sealing of the bran compartments. Crochet can be mentally challenging! (Amigurumi totally doesn't have to be dicks either - have turned out many friendly forest creatures in my day. Good "just because" presents if not overused.) Once basic stitches are down, move on to household goods like potholders & bedspreads, and from there - who knows?

Knitting is horrible though and everything I've ever knitted was hideous and/or defective. Still, I keep trying ;_;

Darning is OK, it's fun to customize your clothes and play with colors sometimes. Fast, easy projects with a needle, thread & rubber band.

That bug macro is neat and I'm glad the poster gets to go and find lots of cool bugs. :3:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

my dad's main hobby is ham radio and while yes it's true you can start with an amateur license and basic transceiver for $20, there is a high likelihood that within the decade you will be arguing with your local city council about the height of your antenna tower and getting up at 430 in the morning to spend 30 seconds exchanging greetings with some nerd who sailed out to a rock off the coast of new zealand so that he can send you a postcard categorizing said rock as a rare "country". so maybe warn your family

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I wanna do kendo but there's no good kendo stores in walking distance.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

frumpykvetchbot posted:

Bug macro photography.

You can put together a starter kit for a few hundred bucks from eBay dumped 2nd hand stuff since only dorks use actual box cameras these days.

I said bugs not spiders damnit.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

numberoneposter posted:

-open water swimming

not even for fitness just try and swim in as many open waters as possible

remember ABS: Always Bring Shorts (and a towel)

What kind of waters are you opening? Like Evian or fiji? :thunk:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Take up bowling.
You get to buy customized gear and HOT BALLS plus just get out of the house and also it's not hard at all to get decent at and hang out with people if you want or just do it on your own

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Cosmik Slop posted:

I mean, don't force it, but busting out a guitar around a fire after everyone has had a few beers can lead to loving awesome times

Yeah don't
Absolutely no one likes this like you think they do

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

jacks
marbles
hoop and stick

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Masturbate until parts fall off

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
OP is such a boring shut in with no interests he has to ask GBS for hobbies lol

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Photography is hella fun. You can get a nice Fujifilm camera, lenses, case, and sd cards for like $5-600. Lodge North in SA Mart has Lightroom/Photography plans for like 5 bucks/month

Photography is great because it gets you out of the house and you can literally take pics of anything and it will probably turn out neat. I just take random pics as I'm walking around my neighborhood. Also your friends would probably like having some nice shots of them for social media :)

Here's a kite I saw over the weekend

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

you could just get into anime thats a barrel with no bottom

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Baking is my go-to hobby because it can be incredibly easy, rewarding, and everyone can enjoy your work. One of my favorites is French apple cake since it's so goddamn simple and doesn't make an absurd amount of dessert. I bake all the birthday cakes for my family, so I'm always relieved when someone wants that apple cake.

Sometimes I like trying to find a version of a baked good for someone who usually doesn't like that baked good. Like my sister generally doesn't like banana bread, so I poked and pushed around different versions until I found one she loves. Turns out the key was rum, which she otherwise hates.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Big Beef City posted:

Masturbate until parts fall off

reported

in a few months time when gene reads it you will be absolutely annihilated

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

kntfkr posted:

I wanna do kendo but there's no good kendo stores in walking distance.

put a 'kendo club' sign before your house and when the first kendoist appears rob him at gun point

what's he gonna do? hit you with a stick?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I like to gently caress, op

You can do it socially distanced

Also you can eat the rear end

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

sexy tiger boobs posted:

I said bugs not spiders damnit.

typical sexapodal-normative reactionary twaddle.
that spider identified as a bug and that's all that matters.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

over the last year, my girlfriend went down the wormhole on learning crochet (through you tube) and now I have a giant collection really comfy woolen winter socks and a sizable pile of headwear that allows me to cosplay the Edge from U2.

Now I've asked her to make me some of these.

These would great with to wear to the grocery store.

Mne nravitsya fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jan 6, 2022

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Walking is a nice hobby op. Don't bother with the geocache stuff! just go get a navigation app like gaia and download a chill hiking route or plot your own.

Go do a longer hike every week till you start doing overnighters and then you can go down the enedlessy expensive ultralight gear buying route.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
Get real serious about masturbation

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Jump on a train and get married in the first town it stops in, the disappear mysteriously in a fortnight and repeat. You'll be creating a legacy for yourself and our struggling rail network

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
If you go Lego, go by your local Walmart today and check the clearance aisle. Usually after Christmas and New Years they put stuff that hasn't sold in the last year at great prices. I've gotten some wonderful builds for $40 vs the $100 original price. It is hit or miss, 1 out of 4 times you'll see a great deal though.

Also, archery kicks rear end. Cost of entry is not cheap, someone said $300 minimum and I would agree. Expect another $100 on that easily though. The key is that you can learn to shoot solo. Then when you join a class or club a decent instructor will point out 2-3 things to focus on and suddenly your shooting improves by a mile.

If you have snow, x-country or snowshoeing is greatly fun and good exercise too. In the summer go hiking.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
OP have you considered depression? You just sleep away all your free time so you don’t even need hobbies.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Depression is boring, add some anxiety to the mix so worrying about not having hobbies can become your new hobby!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Colonel Cancer posted:

Depression is boring, add some anxiety to the mix so worrying about not having hobbies can become your new hobby!

:hmmyes:

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Extreme Ironing is a thing. Look it up. It may be exactly what you are looking for

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
get reptiles. also get into weird fandoms

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Writing erotic fiction and selling it on Amazon for Lego money

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP
You're probably a white guy and going to be old soon enough.

Beat the rush and collect stamps!

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Meme Poker Party posted:

Study the blade, OP.

Yeah this

By that I mean check out a fencing club, it's an incredibly good work out and there's three different flavors of weapon to choose from to match your style and level of athleticism to. It's also a really good primer for footwork which will carry through to other martial arts if you ever have an interest in them

I cant speak for what most clubs are like but mine was full of pretty cool people of all walks of life who just wanted to learn how to poke things with a sword

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tiberius Christ posted:

you could just get into anime thats a barrel with no bottom

Let's start an Anime Club, OP!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

pretty soft girl posted:

Yeah this

By that I mean check out a fencing club, it's an incredibly good work out and there's three different flavors of weapon to choose from to match your style and level of athleticism to. It's also a really good primer for footwork which will carry through to other martial arts if you ever have an interest in them

I cant speak for what most clubs are like but mine was full of pretty cool people of all walks of life who just wanted to learn how to poke things with a sword

Soft girls with swords :vince:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I have this problem where I'm always starting new hobbies that I don't have time or money for because I already have too many other hobbies (also a job and 2 children) but I'll attempt to catalogue my own experiences here op and you can draw what information you want from them. Usually something catches my eye and then it's on my mind for a few days before I think "haha that would be neat to do, pretty fun to think about doing that haha, oh well I have other things to do" and then I do about 200 hours of research on the topic before deciding "well I already know everything about it so I might as well start doing this". In roughly chronological order of when I took them up:

Making maille: started this one when I was 16 or something and it was the first step into the descent of madness of having way too many esoteric hobbies. I got my mom to buy me 2 pairs of pliers and a simple steel rod to wrap wire around by hand and then some mini bolt cutters to cut them all. I started just doing butted rings but eventually I moved onto rivetted, but since I didn't have my own money I just stuck with the really time intensive method (I had a lot more time then though). If I did this today I'd definitely invest in some better pliers and also use a drill and mandrel to make the rings, along with my dremel to cut them from the coil instead. Ended up making a coif and a byrnie (basically a short sleeveless shirt) which was dope, I'd always intended to add sleeves to the byrnie but I lost interest and sold it to some random on FB marketplace some years back. Conclusion: result was awesome but process is really boring, 5/10

Brewing beer: started this when I moved out at 18 (actually I think I was 19 or 20 when I started, but I digress) when I wasn't even sure I liked beer lol. I lived in an apartment which made it harder but I built all my equipment from scratch. There is tons of resources out there and the process itself is quite straight forward but the devil is in the details which can go quite deep. The styles are varied and many styles have their own process quirks which makes experimentation fun. Best of all you get to make beer exactly how you like it, to your tastes. It's much cheaper to brew your own (depending on where you live, and also as long as you don't count the time you take to make the beer), and it easily scales - that is to say the effort is the same to make 20 L of beer as it is to make 60 L. I'm now over a decade deep into this one and it's probably my most established hobby. I've taken breaks here and there (I'm on a break from it right now), but I always go back. I have a keezer that I also built that holds 4 5 gallon kegs and it's definitely worth it so I don't have to bottle. When I go back to it, I'm planning on building a whole new semi-automated brew stand. As an aside, I've also been making mead, cider and wine lately with most of the same equipment and processes. Conclusion: easy to start and everyone will love you giving them free booze, 9/10

Making cheese/yoghurt/dairy products: This was a follow-on from brewing after I'd made a fair few batches. I'd say it's comparable in scope and effort to brewing, and I made a lot of good fresh cheeses and yoghurts. The reason I stopped this (and probably won't take it back up unless I get a lot more space and time) is that I didn't feel the effort for hard cheeses was worth it. It takes a fair bit more equipment to go to hard cheeses and it takes a lot longer, and then you only make something like 1 lb for every gallon of milk. I made a few small wheels and then because I love to share the fruits of my hobby, they were gone so fast after waiting months for them to mature. If I were to do this again I'd scale it like brewing and only consider hard cheese batch sizes of probably 10+ gallons. Conclusion: deceptively similar to beer brewing, but different in many small but important ways, 6/10

Coin collecting: I love history and this is sort of a corollary to that. I stumbled on an old half-dollar at an antique shop in Victoria, BC when I was visiting my grandmother when I was (I think) 23, and bought it knowing nothing about it. I since bought a few collecting manuals, have an excel sheet with what I bought them for and stuff, have a couple binders with a bunch of silver in them, and carry a 1901 Deutches Reich funfmark around in my pocket to use as a flipping coin and talking piece because I like the heft of it (weighs about an ounce!). This is just your standard collect-em type hobby, rarely "fun" but it's cool and not a completely worthless waste of money - actually I just checked my sheet and it's probably the only profitable hobby I've ever had. Conclusion: collecting hobby, but of something actually valuable, 6/10

Miniature wargaming: This one is actually probably technically the oldest and should go at the top but it's been another one of those on-an-off things in my life. I started with Warhammer, like most, as a kid, but I absolutely loathed the community and it was so heinously expensive that my parents would never support it. I got back into it when I was like 24 or 25 though with historicals. I bought a shitload of 6 mm Napoleonic dudes from Baccus miniatures in the UK and played a bunch of games with my brother and couple friends. I tried a few different eras as well, ancients and medievals, but I had a ton of Naps. I ended up selling it all a few years back because I wasn't using it and I absolutely loving hate painting them even though I painted literally thousands of them. I recently got back into this and am going to play Battletech with some friends because now I have a 3D printer and that makes the barrier to entry a lot lower. Conclusion: rewarding to finally play games once you have everything made, but really nerdy and painting is torture for me, 7/10

Amateur astronomy: I'm a big physics geek and love astronomy. I bought a cheap dobsonian telescope along with some binocs, and spent a while studying star charts and stuff. Found a whole bunch of local really dark spots and probably went out 20 or 25 times in one year to observe. For whatever reason I just didn't stick with it as a dedicated "hobby". I always wanted to do sketches like astronomers of olde, and also get a better tracking mount so I could do astrophotography. I still use the scope from time to time but don't really consider it a "hobby" of mine now. Conclusion: pretty location dependent actually, to get the most out of it you need reliably dark and clear skies. But amazing to see the planets and distant galaxies with your own eyes, 7/10

Fishing: Started this when I had my first kid at 25 (actually I think it was when she was 1 so I'd have been 26) because I wanted to do more outdoors stuff but I needed a reason to go outside. Fishing is really fun and I still do it here and there during the warmer months. When I first started I was obsessed and fishing year round, and also got into making my own tackle. Eating food you catch yourself is really rewarding too, if you're in a place that has good eating fish. I love the sense of exploration/hunting that comes with wading up river looking for where the fish are hanging out. Plus it's pretty relaxing and serene even when I don't catch anything. Conclusion: going outside is fun and sometimes you can catch and eat tasty fish, 8/10

Photography: This one wasn't actually really my hobby to begin with, I bought an entry-level DSLR for my then wife and bought a few books on photography. Despite her telling me she wanted this as a hobby she never really used it much lol, and I ended up doing a lot more with it and teaching her how to use it. Ultimately I didn't feel much sense of accomplishment or reward from it so I never kept on it or bought my own camera. Always considered pairing it with astronomy too but never got around to it. Conclusion: pairs well with other hobbies but for me kinda boring. A supplementary hobby at best, 4/10

Canoeing/Hiking/Camping/"Outdoorsman": This began as a supplementary or maybe natural extension of fishing. I actually love this and my favourite activity in it is the portage adventure. I haven't invested a lot of money into it however and mostly go with a friend who is way more into it than me. This one came on at a point when I was already overloading myself with other hobbies and also I was in engineering school. It's always in the back of my mind as something I want to invest more time and money into, I just have so many other things on the go still. Conclusion: really awesome "ultimate" outdoors hobby, comprehensive of a lot of skills. I'm not that deep but one day I can see myself being all the way in, 8/10

Boxing: Started this as a form of physical exercise to do with my then wife. I detest the concept of "working out to be fit", I'd much rather do an activity that is also a sport or skill and not just pick something up and put it down 1000 times and that's my "hobby". I did actual boxing training for about 3 months, 3 days a week, was pretty expensive and also required a lot of focus but was crazy to see myself transform from someone with basically no sport-body-control (never done any sports before) to being able to stand and fight/spar and slip/weave punches and stuff. Very very time intensive to actually learn to box (as opposed to taking "boxing fitness" classes), but insanely rewarding and a big confidence booster. I definitely don't have the time for this one though. Conclusion: a martial art is a classic hobby, but a big lifestyle commitment, 7/10

Cars: Actually I'm going to break this up into 3 parts because for me, there are 3 distinct hobbies within my "car" hobby:

--- Car racing: This was actually my first experience with cars. Most people start with video games and obsess about cars that way (so did I when I was young, but that was me "gaming", not being "into cars"), and then grow up and buy a shitbox to tool on, and then eventually find themselves interested in motorsports and such. I got into cars when I was in school for engineering, I joined the Formula E club and started out designing the suspension for our schools formula race car. We had a sister club, the Baja club, which I actually ended up finding more interesting but I never joined. I liked that the design for Baja cars was focused on strong, robust cars that could tackle all sorts of environments, rather than the picky, specific pavement princesses that formula cars are. I ended up eventually buying a Subaru and joining my local rally club. I started volunteering and marshalling for events but eventually started racing in rallycross and building my own race car. Last year I co-drove in 7 performance rallies, finished 4, and got to experience all sorts of firsts like being in a car rollover and also crashing into a tree. Eventually I'd like to buy my own caged rally car but covid keeps holding me back from taking that plunge. These days I'm coming back around on circuit racing being cool and am interested in that again, but only from the sidelines at the moment. Conclusion: auto racing is easily the most expensive thing on this list and it's not even close lol. But going fast as gently caress in a barely controlled car in snow and gravel is without peer. 9/10

--- Classic cars: Race cars are fun and everything but unfortunately you can't drive them on the street so they sit in the garage all day (I'm talking true race cars, not the lame tuners that kids call race cars these days). I have all these tools now from building and maintaining a race car so I bought an old RX-7 to work on. Buying an old sportscar is great because you get to experience the thrill of a barebones performance car that you can't really find these days in new cars, but also actually drive it daily (if you can get it to a working state, that is). Plus it's an old sportscar with a lot of quirks so I get loads of comments and compliments on it and it's a great conversation piece with people who care about cars. I know a lot of people that have a project car that sits as much as my race car does though, so that's a pitfall to avoid lol. Conclusion: car stuff except you can actually drive it around on the street, 9/10

--- Sim racing: A much, much cheaper way to enjoy cars (though like anything, it can be expensive if you want it. Definitely pales in comparison to the real deal though). I built a sim rig to use in the off-season and during downtime to keep my skills sharp. This is chiefly responsible for my renewed interest in circuit racing, since I mostly do circuit rather than rally, which is my real life racing focus. Conclusion: racing games except serious, much lower barrier to entry than IRL race cars, but nowhere near as fun, 8/10

Dirt biking: Got into this this year with a friend and now my daughter is really into it too so I'll probably need to buy her a bike next year. All the thrill of loose-surface car racing but at a much lower price point, and the maintenance is way easier and cheaper. Can easily tear the whole bike down in a very compact space. My garage was at the limit last time I did a engine swap on one of my Subarus, but currently my dirt bike is in pieces in my garage without occupying much space at all. Will probably try doing some racing on this as well once I'm better, but I'm still a noob on motorcycles so I need more practice lol. Conclusion: loud machine go fast, cheaper than cars, 8/10

Terrain modelling/dioramas: This is a brand new fresh one for me and its complimenting my current effort to play tabletop Battletech with my friends. When I was playing historical wargames, I bought all my terrain, but I was never happy with how it looked. I used a mat and placed features on top of it, which made it look really clearly like a table with features on it. I always told myself if I ever got back into wargaming I'd make my own, modular terrain boards. Bought a hot wire cutting table, made and bought a bunch of jigs, 3D printed some tools and now I'm making a fully modular hex terrain board. I can see myself making some dioramas using the same tools and methods, but who knows, we'll see. Conclusion: if you're serious about wargames, you gotta make your own terrain. But it's another big time and money sink, 7/10

I have a couple more that I've been considering, but haven't tried or bought anything for yet. I mean I have a lot of things I've considered over the years, but these ones are at the front of my brain for stuff I will very likely do:

Rock climbing: I'm lazy and sedentary again lately, and I want to work out without doing stupid weight lifting or whatever (see the boxing entry). Kinda dovetails with the outdoorsy stuff too. Covid keeps making the climbing gyms close so I haven't been able to approach this.

Biking: Obvious corollary to racing and dirt biking, but as an alternative to rock climbing. Go fast and adventure but also work out.

Sewing/garment making: I'm not super fashionable but my older daughter is. She's expressed interest in modifying/making her own clothes and I've done a ton of research on this front. Specifically I'd buy an old (like century+) treadle powered Singer because I love old machines, and start down this path in some capacity.

I do a whole bunch of other stuff I don't know that I consider "hobbies", like PC gaming (not a hobby just like watching TV isn't), playing board games with my friends (even though I have an extensive collection of designer board games), and stuff like 3D printing (even though I do a lot of that, it's not a hobby, just a tool. Using my welder/grinder/wrenches aren't a hobby, just stuff I do when metalworking/working on the cars, for example). I also probably missed a bunch of poo poo, especially the smaller things I picked up and put down over the years. Actually I just thought of one, I was buying scrap silver and refining it in my backyard, and pouring ingots and selling them. Not going back and making an entry for that because this post is already obscenely long (almost 3000 words, the average length of a D&D post!!!).

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

imagine wasting money on all this poo poo lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Boxing with your wife? Lmao ok lowtax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don’t have hobbies because I end up being a pro at everything. That’s just how I roll dawg. :dukedoge: