Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

interwhat posted:

Uhhh, actually, I haven't felt this free in a while. Im still depressed and hate most of the world around me. But finding myself not putting those feelings out there to all my idiot friends and family, and more importantly, not feeling like agendas and thoughts aren't being injected constantly between my ears has been INSANELY rewarding. It should be a good feeling, friend. The world you live in has always been depressing and bleak, Facebook just allowed you to put the blinders on. hth ly

honestly i was never really "on" facebook in the first place...

now xanga... i had the gently caress out of a xanga haha

getting off facebook was really a formality... but even the little but i was on it, was so awful

christ people are so dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I still find it tolerable as long as you avoid their app, and use Social Fixer to hide all the ads and dumb video bullshit they're pushing. But I absolutely won't miss it if it finally dies. I have a lot of international acquaintances, but we'll find other ways to keep in touch, and when those collapse we'll find more.

It's the circle of life in the internet age: Thing becomes huge, Thing creator gets rich because obviously Thing is the future forever, the next generation of users doesn't give a poo poo about Thing, and once a successor is clear Thing withers and dies.

I hope the dumb Metaverse idea dies with the company, ideally before anyone starts taking out mortgages on NFTs of virtual land.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I like Facebook marketplace. Rest of it can go to hell though

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
bucking social trends and sidestepping groupthink is easy when you're an independent free thinker, who coincidentally doesn't have any friends :cool:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I dunno, my friend buys lechon on facebook from some guy that cooks it in his backyard. Also gets fresh crab off someone on Nextdoor. I guess its possible that just code for something else though

Virtual reality market farmers with max headroom kramering around in the background.
I'm not sure the same would be done here on mad cow island.

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
mark zuckerburg is a lil bitch lmaoooo

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

precision posted:

in retrospect, as stupid as everyone's MySpace was (yes, even yours, and mine, all of them. none of us were cool) at least they had,you know... personality

everyone's FB page was always just like... here's a name and some pics, the end

myspace had all the little spots for actual information like "which bands do i think will impress you"

To be fair, the original Facebook profiles were essentially exactly the same as MySpace profiles, just cleaned up and streamlined. I distinctly remember editing my Music/Movies/TV sections on one and copy/pasting to the other, for instance. Early Facebook was awesome and entirely about, well, social networking. Learning about people in your life and finding people with similar interests. It's weird to think about how quaint it started vs. the gargantuan monster it became.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

sporkstand posted:

mark zuckerburg is a lil bitch lmaoooo

Ran this through a fact checker, turns out it's 100% true!

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

To be fair, the original Facebook profiles were essentially exactly the same as MySpace profiles, just cleaned up and streamlined. I distinctly remember editing my Music/Movies/TV sections on one and copy/pasting to the other, for instance. Early Facebook was awesome and entirely about, well, social networking. Learning about people in your life and finding people with similar interests. It's weird to think about how quaint it started vs. the gargantuan monster it became.

Early Facebook was made to creep on girls at Zuck’s school and MySpace let me destroy everyone’s eardrums with horrendous midi covers of Linkin Park songs.

Also MySpace Tom was fuckin’ brilliant and cashed out at its height to leave News Corp et. al. to take it in the pants once it crashed down.

Basically MySpace was the best social media network because the smart people bailed out and left rich idiots to eat poo poo.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

STABASS posted:

bucking social trends and sidestepping groupthink is easy when you're an independent free thinker, who coincidentally doesn't have any friends :cool:

au contrare mon frere, it seems to me that people who don't have any friends or have never done are the ones who are most poinsoned by Online Cancer

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

kntfkr posted:

everyone who is not mark zuckerberg, is better than mark zuckerberg. far and away the worst person born in the last 50 years

it's a stretch goal but i really want to nail him to a cross

Don't give him the same death as Jesus and St. Peter

Pull a Diogenes and throw his body over the wall for the dogs to eat

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
im pretty sure Facebook were the bad guys in the Year Zero ARG

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Don't give him the same death as Jesus and St. Peter

Pull a Diogenes and throw his body over the wall for the dogs to eat

dont let dogs eat bad robot man.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
Can someone go to whatever university is churning out tech grads, and find what will replace facebook please?
SomethingICantRememberTheNameOf -> MySpace -> Facebook -> ???

Second Life is not the correct answer.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
nothing 'needs' to replace facebook. we can just go back to myspace and call it a day

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Doug Sisk posted:

LiveJournal?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Junk posted:

LiveJournal?

Now owned by a Russian company so maybe

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Bonzo posted:

Yep. Around 1999 I think.
Now owned by a Russian company

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Doug Sisk posted:

Can someone go to whatever university is churning out tech grads, and find what will replace facebook please?

Ask a teenager.

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

Ask a teenager.

TikTok then

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I feel bad for all those people who used to run blingee / pimpmyprofile / AOL buddy icon websites.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Such a good thread title holy poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
socal media is never going away

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

precision posted:

socal media is never going away

Social media will die with society.

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

I worked with Facebook for three years and was horrified about how they talked about targeting behind closed doors. All they care about are "SMB"s or small to medium businesses and how much cash they can extract from them.

I visited the head quarters once which is like loving Disneyland but empty. After we walked through security we immediately ran into like 8 nerds on a couch watching horse racing and losing their minds.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Internet Old One posted:

Could be that companies sometimes rebrand when they have a bad reputation. Comcast has atrocious approval ratings and then they rebranded their cable service as Xfinity.

wow you really know alot about business

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Gay Hitler posted:

I worked with Facebook for three years and was horrified about how they talked about targeting behind closed doors. All they care about are "SMB"s or small to medium businesses and how much cash they can extract from them.

I visited the head quarters once which is like loving Disneyland but empty. After we walked through security we immediately ran into like 8 nerds on a couch watching horse racing and losing their minds.

I mean it totally makes sense that their target demographic is SMBs. What I don’t understand is why anyone thinks Facebook advertising is worth a drat. They charge so much for so drat little.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Betty Wight posted:

I mean it totally makes sense that their target demographic is SMBs. What I don’t understand is why anyone thinks Facebook advertising is worth a drat. They charge so much for so drat little.

It’s not only Facebook. Prices for advertising on all of the major social media platforms have risen.

A purely online retailer now has about the same margin as a retailer with a physical store.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
die attention economy, die

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i was just looking into john carmack's role at facebook after the oculus acquisition and yeah it turns out he's neck deep in this meta stuff
is this common knowledge that i just missed? cause this is actually really depressing to me. for all his hilarious flaws carmack was always one of my biggest heroes. brb gotta go pop another ambien

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Do you think the world will become marginally less stupid when facebook dies?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Doug Sisk posted:

Instagram. But the fact that I know that means that Instagram isn't cool any more and everyone's on the hip new thing that I don't know about yet.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Meme Poker Party posted:

In recent years we have seen many examples of how a marketing budget + media coverage can make many people believe things that are completely ridiculous. In light of this it's actually kind of impressive the Metaverse is so universally unappealing that no force on this Earth could gaslight people into thinking it's the future/good. It just obviously sucks rear end to anyone who looks at it. We have the discovered the Suck rear end Threshold. The point at which something sucks so much rear end that combined forces of marketing, media, and money are unable to convince the public that a lie is the truth.

yeah, it's kind of a silver lining that they seem literally incapable of hiding how morally bankrupt and disgusting they are, and this manifests visually in a way that an average person can understand despite decades of marketing advancements.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Is there actually anything interesting on Facebook? I mean, Twitter, Instagram, Tik Tok, etc., all those services have some cool stuff hidden in there if you can sift through the large amounts of garbage. Facebook just seems like a place where people mostly talk about themselves, maybe make an attempt to pretend to give a poo poo about distant family members they don't give a poo poo about, and realize how many of their friends and family members are completely unhinged from reality.

I just follow a few accounts on Twitter and avoid reading other poo poo on there unless someone posts a neat thread or something that honestly would be better served as a blog post if people gave a poo poo about blogs in the 2020's. If you're seeing people talk about politics on social media, you're using social media wrong.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Beartaco posted:

The same dumb old people will stay on Facebook until they literally die, the same young people will use the videoclip app de jour, nerds will use forums and Reddit and the severely mentally ill and/or journalists will use Twitter and so it must and will be.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mega64 posted:

Is there actually anything interesting on Facebook?

if there is, it's impossible to find

kinda like youtube. i mean, i watched this youtube video this morning that was insanely awesome and cool and it has six thousand views. out of everyone on the planet. six thousand lmao

even spotify will often recommend you bands with very few listeners... their algorithm actually works. one of my favorite bands ever is this band that spotify just randomly rec'd me 6 years ago... a band that has i think 1000 monthly listeners and only put out one shoegaze album in 2010 and i've never heard of anywhere else

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

Mac and Cheese posted:

i was just looking into john carmack's role at facebook after the oculus acquisition and yeah it turns out he's neck deep in this meta stuff
is this common knowledge that i just missed? cause this is actually really depressing to me. for all his hilarious flaws carmack was always one of my biggest heroes. brb gotta go pop another ambien

It’s sad but I guess he’s just chasing wherever the new developments are, and new developments come from people with a ton of money. He at least is negative about the idea of meta being a monopoly which ‘owns’ virtual space

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
whatever the Facebook equivalent of weird Twitter is can be amusing, but the bizarre algorithmic content policies keep stamping out large groups

most of the actually interesting stuff I've seen recently happens in smaller groups of people who've coalesced out of those bigger groups

I just heavily curate my friends list and never ever talk about anything serious and also turn on adblock and don't use their loving app

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I don't necessarily hate Facebook, but I feel like it was better 10-15 years ago when it was basically a way to keep in touch with people, share photos, etc. Now, 1/2 my stream is advertising.

However, if it disappeared tomorrow, I'd really only miss a few people's posts and a few of the niche groups I belong to where most of the people migrated to from dying forums. Oh, and Marketplace. It's users are typically much more level-headed than the typical Craigslist user. I've never been offered pitbulls or broken lawn equipment as payment on Marketplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Beartaco posted:

Yeah, until the next social media platform run by sociopaths replaces it.