Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
hahahahaha. Get hosed meta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRE6SqdranY

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
insha'allah may Succerberg be reduced to a pauper

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
gently caress. I made a typo. it should say die not did. Oh woe is me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
get this:

mark fuckerberg :twisted:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
#crucifymarkzuckerbergupsidedownonthestepsofbryantpark

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

gently caress. I made a typo. it should say die not did. Oh woe is me.

It says both

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Also I hope Facebook does die, yes

Apparently for the first time ever they lost members more members then they gained lol

Get hosed Zuck (he will still die with 4000000% more money than I will ever see in twelve lifetimes)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Your write its supposed to say die facebook did.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

What triggered the ~$230,000,000,000.00 USD loss?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

Your write its supposed to say die facebook did.

Ohh I thought you were asking if Facebook died due to the news

Both work tbqh

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

mkvltra posted:

Losing members for the first time ever

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

mkvltra posted:

I heard Apple’s new privacy options but I haven’t had to time to look into it

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

I genuinely don't know anyone who has used facebook in the last several years. Even my boomer parents don't use it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

apple made it so third party cookies dont work by default (like how facebook makes 99% of its money) and its super lol

(fucks my day up @ work too, tbqh)

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

when i turned up my nose and deleted my account in 2017 they should have seen which way the wind was blowing and closed down in shame

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

AHH F/UGH posted:

I genuinely don't know anyone who has used facebook in the last several years. Even my boomer parents don't use it.

Dude, I am sooo grateful my parents don't use Facebook and they never have.

Also interesting replies, thank you!

GolfHole posted:

apple made it so third party cookies dont work by default (like how facebook makes 99% of its money) and its super lol

Swag ownage. Sorry about you're job...

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I heard Apple’s new privacy options but I haven’t had to time to look into it

It's both of these

their growth is stagnating and there's really no new markets to push in. The only people who use FB anymore are boomers; the younger generation sees it as an old person thing and doesn't necessarily give a poo poo about it

beyond that, Apple's privacy options are severely limiting their ability to sell ads, which has been the cornerstone of FB's growth strategy. Also Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg are Grade A morons who don't understand how to pivot with the times

all in all a good time to be at Facebook Meta!

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
it loads fine for me op

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In recent years we have seen many examples of how a marketing budget + media coverage can make many people believe things that are completely ridiculous. In light of this it's actually kind of impressive the Metaverse is so universally unappealing that no force on this Earth could gaslight people into thinking it's the future/good. It just obviously sucks rear end to anyone who looks at it. We have the discovered the Suck rear end Threshold. The point at which something sucks so much rear end that combined forces of marketing, media, and money are unable to convince the public that a lie is the truth.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't even know what the metaverse is. Through osmosis I think I have learned it is a 3d version of second life. But I'm probably wrong and the marketing is so bad I can't figure it out.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't even know what the metaverse is. Through osmosis I think I have learned it is a 3d version of second life. But I'm probably wrong and the marketing is so bad I can't figure it out.

I'm not sure even the "pioneers" of the metaverse can define what it is

it's a buzzword, it gets people writing about it. What is it you ask? :iiam:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Waltzing Along posted:

No, that’s pretty much it and Zucks was SHOCKED to learn not a single person wants it.

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
You would think that even the robot man himself would just cash out and go live the billionaire life, it's loving wild that he's still subjecting himself to this humiliation.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

You would think that even the robot man himself would just cash out and go live the billionaire life, it's loving wild that he's still subjecting himself to this humiliation.

Having tremendous wealth is a mental illness. You always need more. It’s just never enough, no matter how much you have. They are also so out of touch with reality that they don’t really know how they are perceived because it’s filtered through many layers of bullshit and yes men.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Meme Poker Party posted:

In recent years we have seen many examples of how a marketing budget + media coverage can make many people believe things that are completely ridiculous. In light of this it's actually kind of impressive the Metaverse is so universally unappealing that no force on this Earth could gaslight people into thinking it's the future/good. It just obviously sucks rear end to anyone who looks at it. We have the discovered the Suck rear end Threshold. The point at which something sucks so much rear end that combined forces of marketing, media, and money are unable to convince the public that a lie is the truth.

Don't sign your posts.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've already spent about $500 commissioning my cybergoth furry avatar for vr chat, so I really hope that's gonna carry over to the metaverse somehow

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Meme Poker Party posted:

As dumb as people are, generally anyone who would be technically inclined enough to care about metaverse as a concept knows that Second Life did it almost 20 years ago and VR Chat is a thing that already exists.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Arven posted:

As dumb as people are, generally anyone who would be technically inclined enough to care about metaverse as a concept knows that Second Life did it almost 20 years ago and VR Chat is a thing that already exists.

:amen:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
One time I made a facebook thread in gbs and moridin constantly tripped over himself to brag about his petty crimes and got mad nobody praised him for them

That's my facebook story.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lame i thought this thread was about another website outage, is it about another bad day for their stock number?

also a day or two, or a few/several of bad stocks is fine, its medium to long term trends that matter.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I guess Facebook is reaching saturation point in South America and SEA. This isn't a milestone, it just means they ahve a very diverse set of boomers on the platform

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
i guess anyone who's dumb enough to come up with metaverse and think that anyone would ever want that in a million years i guess must be incapable of any kind of self-analysis

still hard to imagine having billions of dollars and not just retiring

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Faecesbook :smugdog:

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
I'm pretty sure a good chunk of the reasoning behind the "Metaverse" reveal was just to move media coverage away from Frances Haugen's whistleblowing about how Facebook had tons of internal research that their product is insanely bad for people and society and that they're perfectly ok with that. The media was covering it pretty heavily and negatively for about a month, then Facebook changed to Meta and the coverage died overnight. My guess is they planned on doing the change to Meta at some point in the future, but rushed it before they had anything to show because they wanted something to distract the media with. Seems like it worked.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i mean it worked for a little bit.

its like dumping a bucket of perfume on a pile of poo poo.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Mafic Rhyolite posted:

i guess anyone who's dumb enough to come up with metaverse and think that anyone would ever want that in a million years i guess must be incapable of any kind of self-analysis

you just have to look at his haircut to know that

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Is it dying? I hope so. Also can all the other sites spreading crazy misinformation die too? I can’t talk to anyone anymore without hearing insane conspiracies.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
the idea of boomers on meta boggles my loving mind.
Cyber-King of the Hill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

TastyAvocado posted:

My guess is they planned on doing the change to Meta at some point in the future, but rushed it before they had anything to show because they wanted something to distract the media with. Seems like it worked.

Could be that companies sometimes rebrand when they have a bad reputation. Comcast has atrocious approval ratings and then they rebranded their cable service as Xfinity.