Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
just purchased a Sunday GA ticket for IMSA at IMS this weekend, can’t wait. I definitely wanna see the GTP cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

at Maple Grove Raceway this week. Its really really nice for a middle of nowhere racetrack. I like it better than Summit Motorsports Park. Anyway, I'm posted up by time slips watching the cool cars go by. Safely away from the predations of HR(who like to take pictures of me asleep, hosed up) and all other life's annoyances.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I love these little slices of life from random drag strips

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
agree, please dont stop posting

most of the fun of this thread is the views into series I dont follow at all and youre perspective on drag racing is great

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The racing has been pretty fun, the cars have been fresh af. A couple of good explosion too!

Here’s the commentary team gettin loose while a dude does a quarter mile wheelie

https://youtu.be/TPl93W7eYAc?si=z3qIBb1mCWSUUprW

The commentary dudes have been a lifeline of sanity both on the track and off the track. Just some pretty chill dudes that love seein engines blowed up.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
nice of it to rain so i can watch drag racing today (maybe? gently caress) instead of missing the whole thing

shadowzero313 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 17, 2023

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

shadowzero313 posted:

nice of it to rain so i can watch drag racing today (maybe?) instead of missing the whole thing

yeah, that was a thing. We expected it to rain, planned for it. Got every class to the semifinals when it started raining. Did the world's fastest turnaround(shoutout to Safety Safari), got a pair off and it rained again. Not bad enough to destroy track prep so we waited it out. As soon as we fired the second pair, it started raining insanely hard. Announcer and trackside DJ went through all the stages of grief at once.

I assure you, its worth the NHRA.tv sub for rainouts and long night commentary.

They're going to attempt to run cars tomorrow but the forecast is none too favorable. And somehow make Charlotte in time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

News:

https://twitter.com/astonmartin/status/1709221768953843846

Aston Martin teasing an announcement for today/tomorrow

Views: Oh, now you assholes want to announce and confirm an LMH program. Took you long enough! At least we get to see Gabe Newell spend money on something that isn’t knives.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Maybe they’ll move Lance over?

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

:pray:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I was wondering when it was coming out but it looks like the (final?) season of road to Le Mans is coming out buy the end of the month.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

Lance Stroll, 24 hour of Le Mans winner participant

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lance participated in the 24 Hours of Daytona in an LMP2 a number of years back and I think he did okay? I think his F1 experience would help in a Hypercar, and certainly it’s fewer work days than the F1 season as well. More time for tennis I guess.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Didn't post about it, but my Dad and I went to the Supermotocross Championship last weekend at the Coliseum in Los Angeles and it was pretty freaking great.

Got bummed out because Hunter Lawrence couldn't compete in the 250cc class because of a tweaked back, so that took a little of the shine off, but the two races were great and the guy we ended up rooting for (Jo Shimoda) came within a second of winning the title. Ended up finishing second to Haiden Deegan, but all around great races.

The two 450cc races were just as fun, and Jett Lawrence ended up coming out on top after Chase Sexton went over the handlebars right in front of us in a sand section. Ken Roczen ended up finishing second and Chase got third overall, great experience overall.

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit
Lance Stroll definitely belongs in sports cars, it’s closer to his talent level, better for AMR F1 since they can attempt to fill the seat with a good driver instead, and will probably make Lance a lot happier personally since he’ll still be at his Dad’s company but with less of a spotlight on him. Which is good because he’s not a bad guy and I have nothing against him, but he just doesn’t quite have what it takes to not be a liability in F1

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

harperdc posted:

Lance participated in the 24 Hours of Daytona in an LMP2 a number of years back and I think he did okay? I think his F1 experience would help in a Hypercar, and certainly it’s fewer work days than the F1 season as well. More time for tennis I guess.

I remember him inexplicably running for Chip Ganassi in the Ford DP days, looking it up you're right he also did it with JOTA.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

an oddly awful oud posted:

Lance Stroll definitely belongs in sports cars, it’s closer to his talent level, better for AMR F1 since they can attempt to fill the seat with a good driver instead, and will probably make Lance a lot happier personally since he’ll still be at his Dad’s company but with less of a spotlight on him. Which is good because he’s not a bad guy and I have nothing against him, but he just doesn’t quite have what it takes to not be a liability in F1

It might be next year, it likely would be when Honda joins them and they would have a thought of a driver to put into the team (hi Yuki), but there is a point where Lance becomes a cap on the F1 team’s upward mobility. And while Fernando is likely outperforming the car, it’s showing that time might be soon.

As one driver of six in a two-car LMH works team, he’s just a platinum-rated former F1 driver and not an anchor. It makes too much sense.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Uh so Aston have un shelved their Hypercar... I'm cranking the "we are so loving back" dial even more now.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 4, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Uh so Aston have un shelved thier Hyper car... I'm cranking the "we are so loving back" even more now.

https://www.dailysportscar.com/2023/10/04/aston-martin-confirms-valkyrie-hypercar-programme-revival-for-2025.html

quote:

“Just as the learnings we gain through endurance competition will feed directly into our road car programmes, further improving the ultimate performance of our products. I would like to thank Gabe Newell and Heart of Racing for partnering with Aston Martin on this programme, and I look forward to working with him and the team as we aim for success in the greatest endurance race of them all.”

Ah so this is why they released CS2, need a bigger fortune to fund the Aston Hypercar project.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
drat it you quoted me before I fixed my shameful typos. :negative:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I watched a demolition derby on YouTube tonight. Pretty chaotic production, including a solid 9/10 dick joke that I can’t recall. There was a 3 car limo derby. One team had welded 2 different car front ends together and had passengers along for the ride.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

coconono posted:

I watched a demolition derby on YouTube tonight. Pretty chaotic production, including a solid 9/10 dick joke that I can’t recall. There was a 3 car limo derby. One team had welded 2 different car front ends together and had passengers along for the ride.

How does that work, you have one car in forward and one in reverse?

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I'm guessing they took out the 2nd... everything.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

orange juche posted:

How does that work, you have one car in forward and one in reverse?

One car in forward the other neutral. And I think they had to pay double entry fees because the tech cards are transmission inspections.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

coconono posted:

Link it !

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Oh my bad

https://www.youtube.com/live/0d8hxH8As5w?si=Cb4Cmi8Usoi7heqi

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
ACO sent out an email today, if you are an ACO member LeMans 24h tickets will go on sale at 1000 CET on the 7th November otherwise 1000 CET on the 15th. Save the date if you plan on going.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so we're out in the Dallas are at the Texas Motorplex, and I just saw the slowest wall bonk. Dude's steering wheel broke off and he slowly ran into the wall. Header snapped off unfortunately tho

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

And now someone’s brake pedal snapped off.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Didn't know that many people tracked their Teslas.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

coconono posted:

so we're out in the Dallas are at the Texas Motorplex, and I just saw the slowest wall bonk. Dude's steering wheel broke off and he slowly ran into the wall. Header snapped off unfortunately tho

Amazon / nrg wheel owner spotted

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

There's like 2 tesla drag teams based out of Vegas. They're ok(as in haven't caught fire, completed their runs) but not terribly spectacular. If I had EV money, I would build a funnycar EV

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

coconono posted:

If I had EV money, I would build a funnycar EV

Jonny Smith of fifth gear and other assorted youtube series got into Guinness world record speeds with far less than your average dentist special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX4W5eYxeRA

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

SlowBloke posted:

Jonny Smith of fifth gear and other assorted youtube series got into Guinness world record speeds with far less than your average dentist special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vX4W5eYxeRA

Oh neat. He ran into the same problem I had when I started tinkering with EV stuff: batteries expensive

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
And then there's these college kids that built a Formula Student EV that does 0-60 in .956 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvoFemftA34

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

And then there's these college kids that built a Formula Student EV that does 0-60 in .956 seconds

Gott in himmel, Swiss German is a trip.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

high speed gokart!

Speaking of kids, we had student day at the track. Part of the draw for the students is they can get cast off tires as souvenirs. Except no one really worked out the consequences of having several thousand students wandering around looking for discarded tires. So the announcer has been making regular calls for the kids to return some of the sportsman race team's tires they absolutely need.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Large collection of bin tyres?

I think we all know it's not the kids.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

Large collection of bin tyres?

I think we all know it's not the kids.

Don’t tell the F1 thread.

Picking up marbles off the track was fun the couple times I’ve gotten to do it, and I saw people took whole-rear end used tires home from pro races at PIR before. I’ve seen some used for glass coffee tables, things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah one of the track mommies told me she takes the used racing slicks, inverts them and uses them as planters.