Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So, did the D6 get nerfed across all of Flash Isaac or just in Super Hardcore Bullshit mode?

GuavaMoment posted:

Achievements are hosed apparently, the steam forums have a temporary fix. I'm pretty certain I got well over 7 hearts from eternal hearts, but I guess it doesn't count if you Guppy's Paw them away.

The Steam forums should have a permanent fix, where you replace one of the files, unless this update broke it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
"Roguelikes are games for masochists!" :v:

Seriously though, this sounds like The Absolute Worst. Making things take longer is never an appropriate way to adjust difficulty.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Manatee Cannon posted:

Maybe picking up all of the Lost items sans Godhead gives you something.

Picking up three or more of the Lost items... turns you into the Lost. :unsmigghh:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Codiekitty posted:

So, did the D6 get nerfed across all of Flash Isaac or just in Super Hardcore Bullshit mode?

It doesn't look like Hard Mode's balance changes apply to regular WOTL. Although I have no idea if regular WOTL carried over Most Unholy Edition's nerfs. (Mutant Spider is a special item, Mom doesn't drop the Polaroid unless you triggered the devil deal, Habit works like it did in Rebirth.)

I really hope Edmund doesn't think that some of these changes are a good idea, and tries to use them in Afterbirth.

Rocketlex posted:

"Roguelikes are games for masochists!" :v:

Seriously though, this sounds like The Absolute Worst. Making things take longer is never an appropriate way to adjust difficulty.

Honestly, the attack pattern changes by themselves would have been enough. Some of them change up the fight significantly to make the fight more interesting and difficult in the good way. And then a huge pile of tedium had to be added on top of that.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
They really took the effort to putting in a hard mode in the game nobody plays anymore? Why?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

"I wonder if Color Printer will look at the code for the new version and see how lovely everything really became." is probably what someone is wondering.

The answer is no, gently caress this update. It's garbage. gently caress it.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Color Printer posted:

"I wonder if Color Printer will look at the code for the new version and see how lovely everything really became." is probably what someone is wondering.

Yeah I don't think anyone is really curious about it.

Anyone who would be excited for an update to original Isaac has moved on to Rebirth, except for Florian I guess.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I don't even feel like installing it and playing it because practically every single thing here has made me go "wow!!! no???" but lord knows I will because I hate myself.

I should probably update the OP with stuff soon (especially about Afterbirth).

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Jibo posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone is really curious about it.

Anyone who would be excited for an update to original Isaac has moved on to Rebirth, except for Florian I guess.

Maybe after all this time Toothpicks finally gives a tears up. Maybe SMB Super Fan even gives a speed upgrade! Who cares, because Rebirth exists.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Prop Wash posted:

Maybe after all this time Toothpicks finally gives a tears up. Maybe SMB Super Fan even gives a speed upgrade! Who cares, because Rebirth exists.

Well for what it's worth, Shot Speed is a better stat in Hard Mode, and Mom always drop's Mom's Purse along with the Polaroid. But like you said, who cares since Rebirth already fixed those problems.

Justin_Brett posted:

They really took the effort to putting in a hard mode in the game nobody plays anymore? Why?

Basically, Florian got a better computer, so when he tried to reprogram Isaac in Flash, it only crashed half the time instead of all the time. So he said that he made this update just because he could. Nobody actually asked for this.

Color Printer posted:

Your contributions were greatly appreciated during the era of WOTL Isaac! Also don't play this because hard mode is just tedious garbage.

EDIT: Something else I forgot to mention. Regular bomb pickups have a chance of turning into Troll Bombs when you touch them.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 3, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Dr. Fetus posted:

-Eternal Envy's chunks can fuse back together. On top of having too much HP.
-The game chugs like crazy if there's too many bullets on the screen. Some of the eternal enemies spam bullets like crazy.
[...]
Oh yeah, while he was showing off the new update on Youtube, he was told repeatedly that the enemies had too much HP and that they needed to be toned down. Apparently he didn't listen.

I was going to give this a shot, because Florian said he was fixing some long running game bugs too and I think he also said he was improving the overall performance....

But this Eternal Envy poo poo sounds something that I would wish to a person who wronged me. and if the game still has frame rate issues (I suppose there's only so much you can do with a Flash game), then there's little fun to be had here.

Maybe his idea was to show his changes as he originally envisioned them, and then rebalance them according to feedback. Kind of like WOTL did (and rebirth at a lower degree), although in WOTL's case they mostly had overpowered items show up more frequently for the gamer to notice the changes; the initial unbalanced stuff did not actually spell WE HATE YOUR GUTS AND YOU SHOULD SUFFER.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, it's basically The Binding of Isaac: poo poo Edition. In fact, let me go over more of Florian's genius changes.

Even outside of Dota 2 Eternal Envy ruins everything

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I forgot to mention this, but the Envy chunks can also shoot at you! Oh and some more things about bosses.

-Eternal Chad mass spawns the red flies that explore into four bullets. She's basically Green Duke of Flies on steroids. It's nearly impossible to damage her without enough damage or something like Brimstone. On top of having too much HP.
-Eternal Peep has 6 eyes, but you can actually destroy them. But both the eyes and Peep have way too much HP, so your choice is to either get overwhelmed, or just plink away at the eyes in boredom.
-Eternal Mom's Heart/It Lives!: This video I found can probably tell you more than I ever could. And apparently that was at max damage. (More details below)

Okay, so somebody actually took a look at the code in the update. Here's what gets changed in Hard Mode. (Does not include bosses.)

And apparently some things in regular WOTL got changed as well. Here's the item pool changes to both WOTL and Hard Mode.

The important stuff:

-The D6 has a 20% chance to destroy an item in Hard Mode only. This is affected by luck. (Yes lower luck now has consequences.)
-All special items that don't provide a direct damage or fire rate increase to Isaac's tears (aside from IPECAC) are no longer special.
-All damage increase items that weren't special before are now special. This also includes certain fire rate items.
-Brimstone, Epic Fetus, and Dr. Fetus are now more rare despite being special.
-The Sun and Full Health pills no longer fully heal you. They just heal you for 7 and 5 red hearts, respectively.
-There is a DAMAGE CAP when you play in Hard Mode. This means that you will NEVER have enough damage to fight the Eternal bosses. (WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS!?)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 07:51 on May 3, 2015

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Apparently I already had WOTL installed and it got updated overnight so I gave the normal mode a shot to see if anything had changed there. It's been a while since I played the game, so it feels different in many ways.

But, the most obvious change is that the explosive diarrhea pill is back.

Edit: And I almost managed to get my last missing achievement for TWOL (take no damage in the Caves), because I had flight and curse of the labyrinth, but the last boss was Peep and the fucker jumped on rocks (where I was hiding). Was he always able to do that?

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 3, 2015

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Note for the eternal achievements - beating Satan does not count as beating the game, you have to go through the chest. And instead of needing 7 heart containers from eternal hearts it's more like 12 to get that achievement (but it does give you flight when you unlock it.)

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

GuavaMoment posted:

Oh my God, did this game always run like complete poo poo? It's really jarring to play again.

I'm sure it didn't. I remember Isaac running fine on my machine but it's super framey now for no apparent reason.

This update is already tedious to play, but that's just adding insult to injury.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Dr. Fetus posted:

-Eternal Mom's Heart/It Lives!: This video I found can probably tell you more than I ever could. And apparently that was at max damage. (More details below)

I know it's hardly the worst thing there, but I love how he extended Mom's Heart by adding solid lines to the top.

Although I don't doubt that thing has way too much HP, could the damage cap nerf of dividing by the rate of fire combined with Tech 2 be making it worse?

Dr. Fetus posted:

-The Sun and Full Health pills no longer fully heal you. They just heal you for 7 and 5 red hearts, respectively.

I was reluctant to pick up Rebirth because I wasn't overly impressed with the Flash game. Oh, I sort of warmed up to it after using it as my unwind-after-work game for a couple weeks, but the only thing I especially liked about it was the soundtrack. Then I grabbed Rebirth and it surprised me. Then I tried to play Flash Isaac and was reminded of why I was always lukewarm towards it.

And now Florian fucks it up even harder.

At least I can download the HIB version if I really feel like playing it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I watch a lot of BoI runs and holy poo poo, the response to this "update" is hilarious :allears: Everyone is going "cool, an update to the original BoI!" to "wow, this is kinda bullshit" to "gently caress this piece of poo poo garbage forever". What was Florian thinking?

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Your Computer posted:

I watch a lot of BoI runs and holy poo poo, the response to this "update" is hilarious :allears: Everyone is going "cool, an update to the original BoI!" to "wow, this is kinda bullshit" to "gently caress this piece of poo poo garbage forever". What was Florian thinking?

I think he misunderstood why the Holy-aligned hearts were called "Eternal"

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes, it's basically The Binding of Isaac: poo poo Edition. In fact, let me go over more of Florian's genius changes.

-Eternal Monstro is faster, shoots more bullets, leaves creep, and splits into two Monstros when he gets down to half health. And those Monstros split into two more when you get those down to half health. On top of having too much HP.
-Eternal Pestilence fires several IPECAC shots in a row and leaves creep. And turns into an Eternal Headless Horseman when you get him down to half health. The Body acts like Pestilence, which means that it still fires several IPECAC shots in a row, and it can summon regular flies. The head is faster and leaves creep. On top of having too much HP.
-Eternal Hollow is impossible to take down if you fight it in a room layout that has a lot of rocks. On top of having too much HP.
-Damage up items are INCREDIBLY RARE. Remember how Polyphemus and Mutant Spider were so common in WOTL? Not anymore! So yeah, eternal enemies also take a long time to kill because you have no damage.
-The game chugs like crazy if there's too many bullets on the screen. Some of the eternal enemies spam bullets like crazy.

I was wrong about one thing. There is a new trinket. It's called the Game Squid and just has Isaac occasionally fire a tear that can slow down enemies.

Oh yeah, while he was showing off the new update on Youtube, he was told repeatedly that the enemies had too much HP and that they needed to be toned down. Apparently he didn't listen.

Verify the integrity of the game cache. That should fix it.

Most of these changes sound like they would be OK for a hard mode and/or the very rare random boss variant... If the HP wasn't so ridiculously high.

edit: to clarify, I mean the changes to the boss patterns, not the other balance changes listed on this page. They all sound like poo poo.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 3, 2015

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
So I guess we just wait for the mod that keeps the eternal enemies (at lower health for certain bosses), the new AI, but removes all the other bullshit changes? Because that might actually be fun.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Dr. Fetus posted:

-The D6 has a 20% chance to destroy an item

every other change in this update sounds like absolute poo poo but I actually really like this change. especially in original isaac where it was so overpowered.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

I actually kind of like the regular eternal enemies as long as there's room to maneuver, but the eternal bosses are complete bullshit. Eternal bloat spawns a new eye every time it jumps.

Still no save/continue. :getin:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For those of you that want The Lost to be buffed, you're getting your wish. Also talks about new alt floors.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Dr. Fetus posted:

For those of you that want The Lost to be buffed, you're getting your wish. Also talks about new alt floors.

I don't see "remove from the item pool those items that are completely useless to The Lost" on the ballot.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Smh at Edmund still being salty about The Lost's existence being discovered by hacks when the ARG thing was like a day or two away from being solved anyway

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fedule posted:

I don't see "remove from the item pool those items that are completely useless to The Lost" on the ballot.

This.

Those are all kinda lovely choices.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fedule posted:

Well, that's what the D6 is for :v:
D6 + Spectral Tears is honestly enough to make it feasible. You can reroll all the garbage you don't need, and Spectral Tears lets you camp inside rocks.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh thank god. I just unlocked The Lost yesterday and immediately went into "NOPE" mode.

Still gotta get that Lvl 4 Meat Boy and all...

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

bucksmash posted:

Oh thank god. I just unlocked The Lost yesterday and immediately went into "NOPE" mode.

Still gotta get that Lvl 4 Meat Boy and all...

Do it before he gets buffed for bragging rights.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Dr. Fetus posted:

boo, loving pussies

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'd recommend just giving The Lost a regular health pool but have those little invincible ghosts that come with The Haunt spawn in every room to chase you. Starting with one in the basements levels, two in the depths, then three in Cathedral/Chest.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Vakal posted:

I'd recommend just giving The Lost a regular health pool but have those little invincible ghosts that come with The Haunt spawn in every room to chase you. Starting with one in the basements levels, two in the depths, then three in Cathedral/Chest.

I cleared all the Lost achievements and I still think this would be unusually cruel and terrible.

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

AnonSpore posted:

I cleared all the Lost achievements and I still think this would be unusually cruel and terrible.

yeah same. think of some of the levels you face once you reach necropolis and how absolutely horrible they would be with invincible fast flying enemies chasing you around

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

yeah same. think of some of the levels you face once you reach necropolis and how absolutely horrible they would be with invincible fast flying enemies chasing you around

I've thought that a getting-chased-by-monsters challenge might be cool, but not if they're on top of you immediately. Make them spawn in rooms based on how long you've spent in the map and how far you are from the start room.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

IMJack posted:

I've thought that a getting-chased-by-monsters challenge might be cool, but not if they're on top of you immediately. Make them spawn in rooms based on how long you've spent in the map and how far you are from the start room.

Have the challenge start with spelunker's hat and it could be a spelunky themed challenge

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fetus posted:

What kind of drugs is he on? :psyduck:

quote:

...The Lost.... ...the most rewarding... ...most exciting aspect of the game... ...having more fun than i ever have before...

And those "fixes" do nothing to address the problem of the lost; losing to pure RNG. It's like he honestly believes his game is perfectly fair, but he also posts this picture of a room that looks completely bullshit (flaming hoppers in a tight space.. with two more enemies :rolleyes:):

There aren't even that many legitimately unfair things in the game anymore, if he just worked on fixing those instead of adding more then The Lost would be a very interesting character instead of the worst idea ever.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Giving the Lost the D6 will go a real long way towards mitigating his item pool issues though.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

YF-23 posted:

Giving the Lost the D6 will go a real long way towards mitigating his item pool issues though.

But then he's just Isaac with flight and no health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

YF-23 posted:

Tbh I think the d4 would be better for that, but then I really like the d4