Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

value-brand cereal posted:

Let's talk about lovely greedy families instead.

​My wife [42] and I [39M] own a successful restaurant, and our relatives are always trying to shame us into hiring them/their kids to work for usPersonal issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4vppaa/my_wife_42_and_i_39m_own_a_successful_restaurant/

This poo poo is infuriating. Leech families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

​My wife [42] and I [39M] own a successful restaurant, and our relatives are always trying to shame us into hiring them/their kids to work for usPersonal issues

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/4vppaa/my_wife_42_and_i_39m_own_a_successful_restaurant/

Hold the line. Hiring your dipshit nephew is one of the top 10 Kitchen Nightmares sins.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

burial posted:

I realise I’m way late with this, but the monopoly man doesn’t have a monocle. :colbert:

This is true. It’s called the Mandela effect after Nelson Mandela—a lot of people remember him being around until the early 2010s, when actually he died in the 1980s

There’s also one where a lot of people vividly remember a movie called Kazaam where Shaq plays a genie. No such movie exists, though people are possibly remembering a similar movie starring Sinbad.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

From the department of judgy insecure assholes, or what happens when an incel finally gets laid.

Am I (27M) overreacting with this girl (27F) admitting to have had unprotected sex in the recent past?

quote:

I've never been in a serious relationship, but now I am trying to invest in something with this girl I've met 2 months ago, because I like a lot of things about her and feel things with her that I've never felt before with anyone. Our situation is quite complicated: I am living abroad (in her home country), and will be going back to my home country next month because I found a job there. So we have been discussing about the possibility of her going to live there with me. Even though it's been only 2 months since we've met, we both feel like something quite strong has developed, so decided to try to make it work, and have been discussing about all the things that we think might impose an obstacle to the success of our relationship as well as our relationship goals, because we want to make sure that everything is aligned before moving forward.

Some time ago, before we had sex for the first time, this girl told me that she had a IUT inserted that prevents her from getting pregnant. I told her that I preferred to use a condom, and at the time she said she also preferred because it was safer, so for the single time we had sex at the beginning we used a condom. Fast forward some weeks, my trust for her started becoming stronger, and a couple of days ago after we were making out for some time, we started having unprotected sex. The next morning she told me that she wanted me to know that in the last year she had had unprotected sex with 4 people, such that one of the times it was with a guy who she had only known for a couple of days. Moreover, she said that 5 months after the last guy she had had unprotected sex with, she made a blood test to check if she had contracted any STD from that, and it all came negative, so that was the only reason why she had unprotected sex with me. She showed that she felt that having unprotected sex with a person who she barely knew was a mistake and that she regretted it. But that it was her past and she couldn't change it, so the only thing she could was to not repeat it. She also said that at that time she was at a very tough time of her life, because she had broken up with her boyfriend of 3 years.

Now, what I felt when hearing about her having unprotected sex with a guy she had known for just a few days was pure disgust, because to me it just screams to me an attitude of "I don't care about the consequences, I just want to have sex", and I really can't understand how someone can be so careless about that. So I feel like after knowing this it can be hard for me to trust her anymore, because someone who is this impulsive might do more stupid impulsive things in the future. I have to remark though that she has done nothing wrong to me, so I'm not sure if this is just my insecurity talking. So I want to know, what is you guys' take on this?

tl;dr: Girl who I have known for 2 months admits to have had unprotected sex with 4 people in the last year, one of them who she had known only for a couple of days. I feel disgusted by this, but don't know if I'm overreacting.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

fruit on the bottom posted:

This is true. It’s called the Mandela effect after Nelson Mandela—a lot of people remember him being around until the early 2010s, when actually he died in the 1980s

There’s also one where a lot of people vividly remember a movie called Kazaam where Shaq plays a genie. No such movie exists, though people are possibly remembering a similar movie starring Sinbad.

You have the Mandela thing exactly backwards.

(edit)

I'm an idiot/in the wrong timeline

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
He was named after the effect??

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

He was named after the effect??

Yes.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

13Pandora13 posted:

You have the Mandela thing exactly backwards.

(edit)

I'm an idiot/in the wrong timeline

I bet you think it’s the Berenstain bears too.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lol. “I, a bartender, and my wife, a babysitter, got half a million dollars in bank loans to start one of the highest-failure-rate businesses on the planet. We definitely did this 100% on our own merit, and with no cosigners, family assets, or assistance from relatives.”

I was going to compliment you on this, but you’d already landed one before I could manage to hit reply.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Oh yeah, then how come he is seen here alive and well?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

burial posted:

I realise I’m way late with this, but the monopoly man doesn’t have a monocle. :colbert:

This notion started due to the rich dude Ace knocked out in Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Dats da joke

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Oh sorry I guess I just didn’t get it

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

CheesyDog posted:

I wonder if these people tell jokes with no punchlines too

Hey, did you hear the one about how a cannibal dumped his girlfriend?

Now you have.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
There's actually a crazy subreddit about Mandela effects and every post is like, "something is this way now, but I remember it this way, what!!! timelines!! alternate universes!!! ahhhhh the government is mind-wiping us!"

It's super dumb but to be honest I was pretty surprised about the fruit of the loom cornucopia not actually being a thing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

empty sea posted:

There's actually a crazy subreddit about Mandela effects and every post is like, "something is this way now, but I remember it this way, what!!! timelines!! alternate universes!!! ahhhhh the government is mind-wiping us!"

It's super dumb but to be honest I was pretty surprised about the fruit of the loom cornucopia not actually being a thing.

The best part is that even eyewitness accounts taken directly after an event are unreliable. How could you possibly ever have remembered something from twenty years ago incorrectly? It’s gotta be aliens.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haifisch posted:

My employees played a horrible prank on a coworker — what do I do now?

quote:

I’m writing seeking advice as to how I as a manager can handle the aftermath of a joke gone wrong. The joke never should have been played in the first place, but that ship has sailed. I manage four reports and two of them made another think $50,000 had gone missing and she was being arrested for stealing it (my other report was not involved at all). They went so far as to get one of their wives to pretend to be a police officer there for the arrest. The one who was accused wept so hard she vomited. She was adamant she didn’t do it and asked to phone someone to go stay with her sick mother while she was in custody. It was only then she was let in on the joke. She has not returned since it happened and will not answers calls or letters.

Isn't impersonating a police officer like, a crime or something? Isn't an employer obligated to report a crime or they become an accomplice to a crime?

It's flimsy as hell, but the local cops might get a kick out of arresting and/or scaring her a bit. It's just a prank bro.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The person who named it was a “paranormal consultant” who also suggested the timeline poo poo so unfortunately that’s just part of the lore

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The "Berenstein Bears" thing is especially dumb, people are obviously just remembering a common surname suffix instead of a weird one and somehow it got blown up into this whole pseudoscience thing

I was a Jewish kid; I promise you, if it were Berenstein I would have noticed

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

loquacius posted:

The "Berenstein Bears" thing is especially dumb, people are obviously just remembering a common surname suffix instead of a weird one and somehow it got blown up into this whole pseudoscience thing

I was a Jewish kid; I promise you, if it were Berenstein I would have noticed

I never realized people were remotely serious about this stuff, and that the whole joke was predicated on how we were obviously misremembering it. But I guess kids have literelly killed each other over Slenderman, so I should have known.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Doc Hawkins posted:

I never realized people were remotely serious about this stuff, and that the whole joke was predicated on how we were obviously misremembering it. But I guess kids have literelly killed each other over Slenderman, so I should have known.

Wait, what?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Running a successful restaurant is hard as gently caress and kudos to these folks for even turning minor profits. Congrats and kill your families.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Outrail posted:

Wait, what?

It was a thing a few years back, some 12-year-old girls killed their friend because Slenderman said to or something

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

loquacius posted:

It was a thing a few years back, some 12-year-old girls killed their friend because Slenderman said to or something

Oh... right.

Yeah he told me to eat the rest of the ice cream as well. Real fucker he is.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

loquacius posted:

Nah it came up in this thread this week even it's worse than that... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man_stabbing stabbed their friend 19 times and she lived!

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

empty sea posted:

Is this still the joke because including an easily googled logo is a lame example.

Edit: Well poo poo.

Danger fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 2, 2018

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Outrail posted:

Oh... right.

Yeah he told me to eat the rest of the ice cream as well. Real fucker he is.
So he stays that slender by commanding other people to eat all the junk food. Genius!

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

This poo poo is infuriating. Leech families.

If my business took off or I hit the lottery. I would give each of my aunts/uncles/cousins about 50 k a piece. I'd give my close friends and close relatives like 500 k or 1 m. Then after that I'm done.

It's cheaper to partition it. Or go the "ill buy you a house route" that way you don't feel guilty if they get a drug habit from the money aspect.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!

Salty Josh posted:

If my business took off or I hit the lottery. I would give each of my aunts/uncles/cousins about 50 k a piece. I'd give my close friends and close relatives like 500 k or 1 m. Then after that I'm done.

It's cheaper to partition it. Or go the "ill buy you a house route" that way you don't feel guilty if they get a drug habit from the money aspect.

that's real dumb you'll get shredded in gift taxes. not to mention giving lump sums to people will just make them want more, and more relatives will ask for some too (you better believe they will be real shitbags about it too)
just setup set up a trust/annuity

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

darkhand posted:

that's real dumb you'll get shredded in gift taxes. not to mention giving lump sums to people will just make them want more, and more relatives will ask for some too.
just setup set up a trust/annuity

I'd be rich. I wouldn't give a gently caress.

You don't understand my lack of empathy for em man. Like, after I give you you're money, go the gently caress home and leave me alone. They don't fine, I'll have the security guards at the gate tase them.

The point is that the family members that really care wont bother you after you help them out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
If you win the lottery, the correct move is 'tell no one(except for your spouse, but make sure they're also not going to tell anyone else) and don't go on a conspicuous consumption spree'.

As a bonus, the estate fight will be extra hilarious when you die. "Grandpa Salty Josh had how much money? :eyepop:"

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
it's not really about empathy for them. You have like double-digits multiplier chance of getting murdered, sued or kidnapped after getting gently caress-you-rich. Your dear old aunt will try to sue you because nephew tommy stubbed his toe in your pool, etc.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Haifisch posted:

If you win the lottery, the correct move is 'tell no one(except for your spouse, but make sure they're also not going to tell anyone else) and don't go on a conspicuous consumption spree'.

As a bonus, the estate fight will be extra hilarious when you die. "Grandpa Salty Josh had how much money? :eyepop:"

I thought it was a no go that route since the media or someone like that finds out from the state.

If anonymity is a thing then gently caress yes. That is always the choice.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
IIRC there are ways to claim the prize through a trust or something, at least in some states.

darkhand posted:

it's not really about empathy for them. You have like double-digits multiplier chance of getting murdered, sued or kidnapped after getting gently caress-you-rich. Your dear old aunt will try to sue you because nephew tommy stubbed his toe in your pool, etc.
And there's a mental toll to everyone you've ever spent more than 5 minutes with crawling out of the woodwork looking for a handout. If the lottery was a thing in ancient times, there'd be a shitload of 'be careful what you wish for'-style myths and fables about it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

???
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kazaam

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

There’s a whole internet subculture of people who go around creating fake Wikipedia articles like that one to support their dumb timeline conspiracies and/or because they think it’s funny.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The gift that keeps on giving.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Gift tax just reduces your estate exemption which is like 10 million now. So no you won't get shredded if you give away 1 to 2 mil. (This is USA I'm taking about and I assume you all are too). There's only actual tax to pay after that 10 to 11 mil point.

I'd still just set up trusts or annuities though.

I will probably never be rich.

Hellblazer187 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 2, 2018

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Salty Josh posted:

easier way is to create an endowed fund at a foundation that gives scholarships to your family members only

or create an endowed scholarship that awards on a set of criteria that involves you and only award to friends/family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

easier way is to create an endowed fund at a foundation that gives scholarships to your family members only

or create an endowed scholarship that awards on a set of criteria that involves you and only award to friends/family

The easiest way is abandon the retarded idea of a large wave of largess that is hard cut off and acting like you wouldn't bleed the rest of your windfall out paying lawyers to fight your distant cousins off.