Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Jack Trades posted:

Capcom hosed this up for real. How dare they give Vega and Urien more clothes?!
I'm being completely serious here.

I actually like Vega's design in V, waiting to see Urien in action before passing judgment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

General Morden posted:

shaheen is based off that guy

I bet Shaheen could beat up Rashid

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
Shaheen doesn't have a scouter or a jetpack. It's not even a fair fight imo.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://clips.twitch.tv/capcomfighters/SuccessfulCurlewRuleFive

EDIT: The aftermath

https://clips.twitch.tv/capcomfighters/ExuberantNewtWutFace

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Also I already hate the hypothesis of playing Balrog online and I didn't like that match in 4 already. Low rush spam into throw gimmicks, it's like Blanka all over again.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Also they basically gave him a slightly weaker version of his SF4 charge super as a V-Trigger combo and BIONIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRM-! as a Super.

EDIT: No reversal but has an armored EX move (not on 1st frame) and I think a 3f move?

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
i see balrogs normals all have the range of a poo poo jab

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dangerdoom volvo posted:

i see balrogs normals all have the range of a poo poo jab

So he outranges most of the SFV cast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is he all charge or did they give him a motion like chun?

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

Dias posted:

So he outranges most of the SFV cast.

oooooooohweeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That looks like the most annoying character to fight in 8 frames of lag ever, have fun duders

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
Was there any tactics against Balrog in 4 that might be applicable in 5?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/Twitch/status/747913565303017472

Real hurthling! posted:

Is he all charge or did they give him a motion like chun?

I missed the first couple minutes of the stream audio but I believe is still charge with some tweaking to stuff like his dashing low (down + K gives you the low mid-dash); his Super is qcfx2 + P, though.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Lothire posted:

Was there any tactics against Balrog in 4 that might be applicable in 5?

Counter his moves with a Focus Att...oh wait. Nah, get hosed by Balrog I guess.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

AnonSpore posted:

That looks like the most annoying character to fight in 8 frames of lag ever, have fun duders

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

croutonZA posted:

I'm sorry but Popeye had gigantic biceps and he was pretty much unstoppable as long as spinach was in his vicinity.

You don't know what biceps are.

edit: holy poo poo Balrog looks FAST.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 29, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

attackmole posted:

Male characters are made dumb muscular to be cool male wish fulfilment. Girl characters are made sexy and scantily clad also for dudes to look at, not because (most) girls want to imagine their heroines looking like that. It's not really the same thing.

There's a difference between idealised body image

But any ways this is a dumb derail that happens once a month and has the same usual arguments rehashed, and Capcom isn't interested in talking about their gameplay issues let alone the nuances of gender politics that Japan's never really been into so it's pretty much a moot point.

I know this is two pages ago but I just want to tack on that this line of thinking eh.

It's less that laura is fanservice (which most females put into fighting games are, hell even makoto is meant to appeal to guys who like tomboyish girls) , its more that because it's designed by males for the male gaze makes it the issue.

Not the clothes themselves.

I'm not sure if some of you guys are capturing that in what you're saying, because picking the one outfit nina has form tekken without like boob outlines or cut outs isn't the character.

but end of the day sf is literally full of caricatures of sexes, races, professions etc that are not even surface level deep. This one isn't any less bad then the others just on level with,.

Like we all know this poo poo needs to change, hell a lot of the industry does. There's just the loud vocal minority and lazy developers who have marketing teams that tell them this poo poo still sells. Otherwise :shrug: you guys will have this discussion for each costume released at this rate

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SectumSempra posted:

It's less that laura is fanservice, its more that because it's designed by males for the male gaze makes it the issue.

In that case the solution would clearly be to hire some folks that would be competent at designing characters for the gazes that aren't of the male variety, as well.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 29, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jack Trades posted:

In that case the solution would clearly be to hire some folks that would be competent at designing characters for the gazes that aren't of the male variety, as well.

Other than the neck ribbon, Makoto is fine. Get rid of the heels, and Karin is a solid design too. It's not that Capcom can't make reasonable designs, they just generally choose not to.

Also, they need to make fewer blonde people. Other than Hugo and Vega (half the time) I can't think of any non-blonde European characters.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Besides, we all know who has the sexiest plunging neckline in all of street fighter:

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

You don't know what biceps are.

edit: holy poo poo Balrog looks FAST.

This isn't a bicep?

It's kinda cool seeing how excited PR Rog is. For months he's been all "if Balrog's good I'll play him otherwise meh" on stream but now he's theorycrafting and poo poo.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

SectumSempra posted:

Like we all know this poo poo needs to change, hell a lot of the industry does. There's just the loud vocal minority and lazy developers who have marketing teams that tell them this poo poo still sells. Otherwise :shrug: you guys will have this discussion for each costume released at this rate

please dont

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Other than the neck ribbon, Makoto is fine. Get rid of the heels, and Karin is a solid design too. It's not that Capcom can't make reasonable designs, they just generally choose not to.

Also, they need to make fewer blonde people. Other than Hugo and Vega (half the time) I can't think of any non-blonde European characters.

This is the flip side where I kinda step out sometimes because I always have the question but never ask it.

Are you female by chance? What makes makoto fine but Karin wearing heels not fine?

Realism in fighting? Ryu shoots fireballs, she can wear heels and fight.

Like we can all agree the idea of laura being designed like she is is clearly sexual.
But Can we really dictate the idea that, well because Makoto is dressed in a way you find acceptable that she's ok? Capcom depicts here with a visible bra sometimes so I guess thats a bit unneeded too is what im getting at in this particular case.

The blonde thing I'm entirely on board with.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 29, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
That's because he hasn't gotten to play boxer yet

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

What is the problem with Makoto's sick ribbon that looks really cool in motion

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Even Karin's heels are OK, but you still have stuff like her intro being vaguely upskirt-ish. Otherwise, yeah, A+ redesign.

EDIT: And yes, it's entirely possible to have a setting with fireballs and have combat heels take you out of it.

croutonZA posted:

It's kinda cool seeing how excited PR Rog is. For months he's been all "if Balrog's good I'll play him otherwise meh" on stream but now he's theorycrafting and poo poo.

Depends; looks at Dieminion and Nuckledu initially being excited for Guile but ultimately going back to people they were already using in SFV (or at least not immediately switching to him full-time). It's not like Necalli is a bad character, either.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

croutonZA posted:

This isn't a bicep?

Now post an on-model Popeye without Spinach. His forearms are what's bulging, not his biceps.

AnonSpore posted:

What is the problem with Makoto's sick ribbon that looks really cool in motion

There's nothing wrong with it as a pure design element.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 29, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

NarkyBark posted:

Besides, we all know who has the sexiest plunging neckline in all of street fighter:

Come on Capcom, cover it up. He clearly needs a black latex suit under his suit.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Design hasn't been their strong suit, but 4's characters were definitely more interesting so far.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

bhsman posted:

Depends; looks at Dieminion and Nuckledu initially being excited for Guile but ultimately going back to people they were already using in SFV (or at least not immediately switching to him full-time). It's not like Necalli is a bad character, either.

Good point.

I'm far, far from PR Balrog, but I remember being super excited for Alex to the point where I thought he would save the game for me, then I played him and...

.....oh.......

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

SectumSempra posted:

This is the flip side where I kinda step out sometimes because I always have the question but never ask it.

Are you female by chance? What makes makoto fine but Karin wearing heels not fine?

Realism in fighting? Ryu shoots fireballs, she can wear heels and fight.

Like we can all agree the idea of laura being designed like she is is clearly sexual.
But Can we really dictate the idea that, well because Makoto is dressed in a way you find acceptable that she's ok? Capcom depicts here with a visible bra sometimes so I guess thats a bit unneeded too is what im getting at in this particular case.

The blonde thing I'm entirely on board with.

People keep bringing up the bra thing. Yeah, her bra showing during her dizzy animation is ridiculous, but the fact that she wears a bra is... normal? It's not a prominent part of her design, so it's not as big a sin as permanent underboob or chronic upskirt. It's an element that if it didn't exist would not change the base design at all and except for a few people with more brains in their little head than in their big would go unnoticed.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Makoto is good and so is juri and urien is spicy hot

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

People keep bringing up the bra thing. Yeah, her bra showing during her dizzy animation is ridiculous, but the fact that she wears a bra is... normal? It's not a prominent part of her design, so it's not as big a sin as permanent underboob or chronic upskirt. It's an element that if it didn't exist would not change the base design at all and except for a few people with more brains in their little head than in their big would go unnoticed.

People likely bring it up because it was a lot more prominent in sf4. But wasn't tasteless. It was just there. (was also in more then just a dizzy in sf3, just less visible because it was a low res sprite)

it's really not ever really shown in a sexy way necessarily.

The post about the solution about making characters more on the male gaze is all I have to say on the matter tbh.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 29, 2016

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Now post an on-model Popeye without Spinach. His forearms are what's bulging, not his biceps.

Oh right, my bad then.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Night Blade posted:

Good point.

I'm far, far from PR Balrog, but I remember being super excited for Alex to the point where I thought he would save the game for me, then I played him and...

.....oh.......

This guy has been putting in a lot of work on Alex and it's inspired me to main him once I feel competent enough with Ryu.

Pomp posted:

Makoto is good and so is juri and urien is spicy hot

:yeah:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 29, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

There's nothing wrong with it as a pure design element.

Then what is the problem with Makoto's ribbon outside of its pure design elementness, I'm not even shitposting unlike 99% of my other posts in this thread I literally do not see what the problem is and can't even think of what it might be

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Then what is the problem with Makoto's ribbon outside of its pure design elementness, I'm not even shitposting unlike 99% of my other posts in this thread I literally do not see what the problem is and can't even think of what it might be

It's not really a problem. You're kind of blowing it out of proportion.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

It's not really a problem. You're kind of blowing it out of proportion.

Dude you are the one who said,

A.o.D. posted:

Other than the neck ribbon, Makoto is fine.

How am I blowing anything out of proportion when I ask what this thing, that you said, meant

Like if you said "Rufus is a fine design except for his mustache" I would be equally perplexed

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Dude you are the one who said,

How am I blowing anything out of proportion when I ask what this thing, that you said, meant

Like if you said "Rufus is a fine design except for his mustache" I would be equally perplexed

Look, you care about the damned ribbon way more than I do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I wish Balrog had a ribbon.