Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Why don't we ever see the Grizzelas? They sound pretty chill. I hope the next series has a Grizella character to just hang out with and party until he's like -- oh sorry guys I'm feeling super tired. Then we don't see him again until next year except maybe once or twice by the replicator and he's cranky. Also jeez I hope someone's watching their planet when they're asleep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think TOS's Court Martial is, despite the decades of dumb poo poo to follow, probably the dumbest use of technobabble in all of Trek. There are weirder science things, or more outlandish, but the whole heartbeat and white noise generator thing is just some impressively fake science. Or at least a critical misunderstanding, since I think these days that kind of thing might actually be half possible. That is to say nothing of how retarded the whole trial is handled otherwise, which is a whole other level of stupid.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 11, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I believe Lt. Bear was a Grizzela?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Even after all these years I almost laugh each and every time Pulaski called Data "dah-ta" because she hates him and doesn't give a gently caress about the toaster's feelings.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Nessus posted:

Worf was probably protected entirely and solely by the depth of his connections with Klingon society. Even if the Klingons were fairly reliable allies at the time, Starfleet probably knew that if they sacked him, he would've been contacted by Klingon intelligence before he made it to the holosuites to program in Suicide Ritual Alpha-Six.

Think it was the other way around - being in Starfleet at that point was probably the only reason Gowron wasn't risking sending a Totally Honorable Murder Squad after him...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

"In space, people have gotten over all interpersonal differences and we can't ever do stories about it. Except for Pulaski. Also she does her hair like an old loving granny. Yeah this character is a winner." - Gene, probably

I think my favorite part of learning about what Patrick Stewart was like behind the scenes is that while the character of Picard is an intellectual "social worker," Stewart wanted to do Kirk-like stuff and asked writers to have him do more "loving and shooting." I'm going to guess that a lot of that became the basis for the dreadful TNG movies.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
Pulaski is great

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

dont even fink about it posted:

"In space, people have gotten over all interpersonal differences and we can't ever do stories about it. Except for Pulaski. Also she does her hair like an old loving granny. Yeah this character is a winner." - Gene, probably

I think my favorite part of learning about what Patrick Stewart was like behind the scenes is that while the character of Picard is an intellectual "social worker," Stewart wanted to do Kirk-like stuff and asked writers to have him do more "loving and shooting." I'm going to guess that a lot of that became the basis for the dreadful TNG movies.

[Dunebuggy.gif]

Orv
May 4, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

Pulaski is great

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
when The Greatest Generation TNG podcast (gagh.biz) was reviewing the episode where the whole crew starts disappearing, they pondered what would happen if it was Pulaski instead of Crusher. They concluded she would head straight to ten forward, pull a bottle of real alcohol from under the bar, yank the cork out with her teeth, roll credits.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sounds right.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Even Picard knew Kirk was better. :smug:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Delthalaz posted:

Pulaski is great

Casimir? Yes.

Katherine? Not so much.

Orv
May 4, 2011
TNG doctor war now.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MikeJF posted:

What that episode really needed was the payoff of Worf in the gold speedos.

and then he gets booted out of starfleet and goes to prison

Right?! I was waiting for that!

Pwnstar posted:

These people on vacation were not fully prepared to be attacked by enemy soldiers with no prior warning. This is evidence of the downfall of society.

Yeah, their argument was extremely flimsy. Earth was preparing to go to war with the Dominion, while this tiny out of the way holiday planet that's the Federation equivalent of the Caribbean is clearly going to be where they start.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
At the very least Jadzia should have peaced out because of how batshit he was acting. He just intentionally sabotaged your vacation, to say nothing of how he did it or that he basically joined a cult in the process. Seriously, those guys reminded me of fundamentalist christians who think everything fun is from satan .

Gorewar
Dec 24, 2004

Bang your head

His appearance on Extras wasn't very far off from how he is irl, it would seem.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pulaski actually had a character arc with growth. This puts her well ahead of most Trek characters.

Others in this elite club include Rom, Nog, Damar, The Doctor, Seven, and Shran.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

Pulaski actually had a character arc with growth.

People keep saying this, but what is her arc? She becomes slightly less of an rear end in a top hat towards Data?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Worf becoming a terrorist was probably viewed as them allowing him to have fun and get it out of his system.

I once saw a Fantasy Island where the fantasy was robbing a bank so maybe it was like that

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

People keep saying this, but what is her arc? She becomes slightly less of an rear end in a top hat towards Data?

Yes?

It might not be world-changing, but she has a major shift in attitudes because of personal experiences. That's more in one season than most characters did in 7.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I wouldn't really call that an arc. Nog has an arc, he starts as a kid and ends up in Starfleet. A slight change in attitude isn't a big enough change to be a character arc.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

skooma512 posted:

Seriously, those guys reminded me of fundamentalist christians who think everything fun is from satan .

I think that was pretty much the vibe they were going for. Walking around the ridiculously sunny place in long dark robes.

Also, the squad just beam down to a random grove? I can't believe there's not official fancy disembarkation landing spaces like cruise ships get.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

I wouldn't really call that an arc. Nog has an arc, he starts as a kid and ends up in Starfleet. A slight change in attitude isn't a big enough change to be a character arc.

I did list Nog, and I'll gladly admit Polaski's growth is far smaller, but it's still more than about anybody.

Data gets one too, but it mostly feels like the writers and actor fixing on the character, and then binary external changes like the emotion chip.

When he almost blasted Kivas Fajo, I thought there was more, and maybe they were playing at him having emotions but not recognizing them, but it never went anywhere. They weren't even brave enough to have motherfucking B4 whistle "if I only had a brain"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Phimosissy posted:

When he almost blasted Kivas Fajo, I thought there was more, and maybe they were playing at him having emotions but not recognizing them, but it never went anywhere.

drat I love that episode so much, and you're right, it's a huge shame they didn't build on it, it would be a great place to springboard into an emotions plot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pretty much. While he had a certain amount of influence over Generations and First Contact, he successfully lobbied for an associate producer credit on Insurrection, which came with a significant amount of creative control, causing no small amount of agitation for Michael Piller. Fade In, Piller's unpublished memoir about writing Insurrection, goes into pretty extensive detail about how Stewart couldn't make up his mind whether he wanted to play a thoughtful explorer or an action hero. He was basically going, "Picard has to have a love story but he has to have action beats but he can't be too macho but he can't just fall in love with some rando but there isn't enough romance in this script wait where'd the action go hold on this romance doesn't feel earned wait this is Star Trek why is there so much action wait where's the loving and sucking."

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Orv posted:

TNG doctor war now.

Doctor Ogawa 4 lyfe

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Doctor Philip 'Have you tried drinking your problems away?' Boyce.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The_Doctor posted:

Jeez, "Let He Who Is Without Sin" is full of people who hate fun. Worf commits an act of terrorism for people he just met, and the group in question are all glass half empty naysayers.

That episode is worth it for

"No, he's the same old Worf."
"PRUNE JUICE, EXTRA LARGE."

Delthalaz posted:

Why don't we ever see the Grizzelas? They sound pretty chill. I hope the next series has a Grizella character to just hang out with and party until he's like -- oh sorry guys I'm feeling super tired. Then we don't see him again until next year except maybe once or twice by the replicator and he's cranky. Also jeez I hope someone's watching their planet when they're asleep.

I guess it depends on why their species hibernates. If it was a winter thing, the one half would hibernate, then the other half. But then that would work for Picard's needs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pulaski is better than Crusher because she's flawed, which means she actually has character while Crusher never got written into anything. Pulaski is always drinking, hates Data and loves getting one over on Picard. Crusher has like no characteristics whatsoever.

Phimosissy posted:

When he almost blasted Kivas Fajo, I thought there was more, and maybe they were playing at him having emotions but not recognizing them, but it never went anywhere. They weren't even brave enough to have motherfucking B4 whistle "if I only had a brain"

Data kind of freaks me out in this episode. Him trying to kill that dude and then lying to Riker about it is Step 1 to murder machine uprising.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Someone earlier in this thread, i think, called Patrick Stewart an English redneck.

He likes fast cars, hot women, and fight scenes. When he and Spiner got more creative control over their characters, we got Insurrection and Nemesis.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PostNouveau posted:

Crusher has like no characteristics whatsoever.

If you read between the lines in The Fifty Year Mission, it's pretty clear that McFadden was absolutely miserable by the seventh season and only did the movies for a paycheck (I think she flat-out refused to talk about Insurrection because she had nothing to do).

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Doctor Ogawa 4 lyfe

Dr. Selar :swoon:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

The objectively correct answer. :colbert:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Timby posted:

If you read between the lines in The Fifty Year Mission, it's pretty clear that McFadden was absolutely miserable by the seventh season and only did the movies for a paycheck (I think she flat-out refused to talk about Insurrection because she had nothing to do).

Yeah with Pulaski the writers couldn't use their go-to moves for female characters: She's a sex object, she's a bog standard mother for a character who actually has stuff to do, she loves chocolate or yoga or theater. Older lady character neutralizes a lot of that bullshit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

jng2058 posted:

The objectively correct answer. :colbert:

The logical choice, logically arrived at.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Orv posted:

TNG doctor war now.

That one irrationally angry doctor from the Rashomon episode who hated Riker and tried to kill him.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Orv posted:

TNG doctor war now.

The doctors who couldn't finish a simple cardiac replacement and had to call in Pulaski across several light-years to come fix it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
TNG should have had Drs Pulaski and Selar instead of Crusher. Nobody cares about your irritating son or his dead dad, Beverly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

TNG should have had Drs Pulaski and Selar instead of Crusher. Nobody cares about your irritating son or his dead dad, Beverly.

but she has teh moves of a striptease queen