Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I think there have been a few cases when families facing deportation have actually been allowed to stay after community outcry so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

I think there have been a few cases when families facing deportation have actually been allowed to stay after community outcry so :shrug:

yeah but you gotta gently caress duttons mate and clean up after his kids

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
They're white, so it's a real possibility.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

gay picnic defence posted:

Well in theory if you can apply enough electricity to something it will undergo electrolysis and seperate into its component elements. Not sure how that would go with something impure like iron ore, you’d need to add something to make a slag to soak up all the poo poo you don’t want contaminating the iron. You’d also still need to add carbon in order to get steel because pure iron is a bit useless without the right mix of alloying ingredients.

I remember seeing an article about a Swedish smelter experimenting with using hydrogen (presumably produced using renewable energy) as the reducing agent instead of carbon, not sure how long until something like that becomes economical though.

If you have enough energy at hand, you could straight up strip carbon from atmospheric CO2 and make a purer coke substitute. If the energy came from a clean source it would essentially make the process carbon neutral without having to change any of the existing steel manufacturing infrastructure. MIght even be a slight carbon sink with part of the atmospheric carbon ending up in the steel.

So it's not like we have to dig it up, it's just far cheaper and more convenient than the alternative options. At least for now.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
It's only right to send their pale arses back to where they came from, we cannot allow our strong borders to weaken based on the colour of someone's skin.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

yeah but you gotta gently caress duttons mate and clean up after his kids

In a remarkable twist no, these were different cases. IIRC it was one member of a family with a minor disability and that would be an burden on society or some poo poo.

e: how will you pick fruit in some farmer's slave harem if you're even slightly challenged?

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 24, 2019

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
Tom Gleeson has announced he's quitting Hard Quiz to focus on his stand up. God I hope it doesn't come out he's a sex offender or whatever.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
Sincerely, what's the likelihood that Albo faces a wipeout in his own seat if he ends up turning right like it seems he wants to?

Isn't it already heavily under fire from the local Greens candidate?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Goodpart posted:

Sincerely, what's the likelihood that Albo faces a wipeout in his own seat if he ends up turning right like it seems he wants to?

Isn't it already heavily under fire from the local Greens candidate?

They'd need a 12% swing (in the ALP and Greens votes, idk about the rest of it)

If there are liberals that may be tempted to the greens I guess they could have a crack, but who knows

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

JBP posted:

They'd need a 12% swing (in the ALP and Greens votes, idk about the rest of it)

If there are liberals that may be tempted to the greens I guess they could have a crack, but who knows

Is that counting the boost you get from being leader, or just as is now?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Whitlam posted:

Is that counting the boost you get from being leader, or just as is now?

As is. I'm sure local boy albo in charge would bump him significantly thanks to being likeable.

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

greens have largely stagnated in grayndler and i dont see that changing till albos gone even if he pushes further right. they spent a shitload of money on the seat in 2016 and only knocked off a single percent off of the alp primary vote

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

GotLag posted:

A few years ago, while I was receiving Newstart I worked two different placements for the same temping agency in the same year. Despite the facts that I had reported my income correctly for every fortnight over those placements and the period in between, and that my reported amounts added up to my gross from that employer according to the ATO, Centrelink assumed that I had kept working for that agency the whole time and had been paid the entire time at the average rate. And thus I allegedly wasn't supposed to have received several thousand dollars from Centrelink.

After my family's last few interactions with Centrelink I'm pretty certain their systems are deliberately designed to break or reduce data precision. Combine that with contracted staff who seems to know less about the regulations than I do after 5 minutes' googling, and it all adds up to a system that places the burden for fixing up the problems on the poor bloody citizen.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 10:29 on May 24, 2019

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

Mr Chips posted:

After my family's last few interactions with Centrelink I'm pretty certain their systems are deliberately designed to break or reduce data precision. Combine that with contracted staff who seems to know less about the regulations than I do after 5 minutes googling, and it all adds up to a system then places the burden for fixing up the problems on the poor bloody citizen.

Its okay guys I wrote my MP.

This will all be fixed by... Bob Katter. :suicide:

Edit: I actually just got a reply and apparently they've had a pile of people write them and Bob is speaking to the Minister as soon as there is one.

I don't have high hopes but if after all of this, Bob loving Katter, a man who wears a cowboy hat to work, solves this. I will be equal parts relieved and angry.

Ol Sweepy fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 24, 2019

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

may is over in june

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Ranter posted:

Well yeah because usually people on centerlink are liars and fraudsters. Not our fault that you were innocent, blame the bludgers.

Who bought my senile dad an account I feel very attacked

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm having trouble with Centrelink because my dad's wife is an illegal immigrant worker and won't disclose her income or assets and now he can't get a pension and aged care is not cooperating. So basically my only option is to call Peter Dutton :)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I was fortunate in my case that I was able to get it resolved by downloading all my payslips from the temping agency and spending an hour on hold to Centrelink so I could tell someone what happened.

Of course something wasn't entered right on their end so I had to call up the next day and wait on hold again to get it corrected.

meteor9
Nov 23, 2007

"That's why I put up with it."
I had to print out 8 fortnights worth and manually hand them over to get them to see it, and then they compared the figures and found out the robodebt system was reading yearly gross instead of weekly pay because of loving course it was.

Got it all cleared out of course, but loving hell. Especially annoying since it had apparently done it wrong six months earlier as well when it knocked me back for a low-income medicare card, but apparently the team it was 'sent up' to either never fixed it then either or never existed.

Three more years of them getting away with this poo poo, huh? I have absolutely no hopes of ever getting on disability at this rate, do I? Have to keep losing all strength in my limbs, going numb and tingly, and cold sweating constantly, and then zombie shuffle across the retail floor for upwards of 2 hours a day before I have to go home while managers keep asking if I need a wheelchair, I guess! Who needs to pay rent?!

Seriously what the hell am I gonna do? gently caress MS for being disabling but not disabling ENOUGH for centrelink, I guess.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

meteor9 posted:

Seriously what the hell am I gonna do? gently caress MS for being disabling but not disabling ENOUGH for centrelink, I guess.

I honestly ascribed the 2 year struggle my misso had to get on the dsp to the fact that she has a relatively obscure illness but lmao even loving MS gets the full gauntlet holy gently caress dude I’m sorry

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Macquarie's down to 100 votes and 88.8%

Nailbiter.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Lol I had centrelink assign me a debt from my brief period with them in 2012 that was bullshit (apparently businesses don't need to accurately report your employment periods so the onus is now on you too demonstrate that you did not commit fraud) and they lost my documentation twice, had no record of my calls past a certain point and didn't bother calling me back (as they said they would) after "investigating" the issue for 2 years.

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

ATTN Anidav:

bowmore posted:

:toxx: ban me if LNP win government

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Count me in as well :toxx:. I toxxed myself for the last Liberal leadership spill and survived due to the general incompetence of the party so let's see if I can survive another.

racing identity posted:

I :toxx: that the final 2PP will be within 50.5-52.5 to Labor

Lizard Combatant posted:

What's your job? Do it anyway.

This may as well be a :toxx:, if the libs manage to win I'm loving done.

Word cloud guy checking in - I ran a script, I think these are the ones that have been missed

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JBP posted:

I'm having trouble with Centrelink because my dad's wife is an illegal immigrant worker and won't disclose her income or assets and now he can't get a pension and aged care is not cooperating. So basically my only option is to call Peter Dutton :)
how do they know about her?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

bowmore posted:

how do they know about her?

They're married.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Urcher posted:

ATTN Anidav:

Word cloud guy checking in - I ran a script, I think these are the ones that have been missed
Thanks you loving snitch lmao

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

After not being on Centrelink for about 5 years, when I got the first notice I had to take a day off work to lodge a name and gender change, because apparently that can't be done online. Then I had to take a second day off to go back in because despite the staff member asking me to write down the name I wanted to use (literally written on my amended birth certificate) they managed to gently caress up my two middle names, including the one that didn't change because they decided it should be spelled with a double letter. I waited on hold for an hour and a half to complain first, and the DHS staff member said they had the scan in front of them but couldn't change it, so I needed to go in in person.

Then I had to out myself to two former work places to get my pay slips, including the one I left because I was worried about transitioning in such a homophobic/misogynistic environment. GOOD TIMES

Silver lining, it took Centrelink about 12 months after that to issue the first debt notice because apparently the system couldn't handle the name change.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Urcher posted:

ATTN Anidav:

Well well well :commissar:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
In the AAT it would go a long way if you could show that at least some of the calculation Centrelink made was wrong, even if you can’t disprove the whole amount it at least calls into question their methodology (and maybe let’s you run an argument that they aren’t acting in good faith).

Also hit them with an FOI and/or a notice to produce documents that even if you can’t get documents it’s annoying for them to deal with.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/DickMacMahon/status/1131871973582229504

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Lol I had centrelink assign me a debt from my brief period with them in 2012 that was bullshit (apparently businesses don't need to accurately report your employment periods so the onus is now on you too demonstrate that you did not commit fraud) and they lost my documentation twice, had no record of my calls past a certain point and didn't bother calling me back (as they said they would) after "investigating" the issue for 2 years.

I once went to centrelink and tried to say "As of <date 2 months in the future> my circumstances will change. Please reduce my payments appropriately", which somehow turned into an 18 month long shitfight for reasons I'm still not quite clear on.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
i'm just gonna say PRAISE LABOR they can do no wrong

Janitor Ludwich IV fucked around with this message at 12:32 on May 24, 2019

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

gently caress

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i couldn't keep away from you misanthropes for too long it seems

hyperbowl
Mar 26, 2010

Bernstrike posted:

In the AAT it would go a long way if you could show that at least some of the calculation Centrelink made was wrong, even if you can’t disprove the whole amount it at least calls into question their methodology (and maybe let’s you run an argument that they aren’t acting in good faith).

Also hit them with an FOI and/or a notice to produce documents that even if you can’t get documents it’s annoying for them to deal with.
Oh god. I'd blocked from my mind that in disputing my robodebt last year I had to submit an FOI request. Centrelink said it was the only way to get a copy of the hours and wages I'd submitted to them 4 years earlier. Sending the request did get them to extend the deadline for disputing the debt. The FOI request took the maximum 30 days allowed by the legislation.

I spent half the financial year working part time, studying and receiving austudy and half the year working full time. My reported income each fortnight wasn't equal to my gross income from the ATO divided by 26 so it was up to me to prove that I'd reported correctly. Luckily I was able to get pay slips for the period I was receiving payments. Centrelink then turned around and demanded pay slips for the whole year, including the six months I wasn't claiming any payments.

I was about 1 hour out somewhere in the 6 months, so they concluded that I owe them $10 that they won't collect if my total debt never exceeds $50.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

i remember working for job network / jobs australia. fun times @ wise employment.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

hambeet posted:

i couldn't keep away from you misanthropes for too long it seems

Wizard Master posted:

I thought this rereg was garbage personally.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

boostrike

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Anidav posted:

Well well well :commissar:

Do it you coward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

wait that quote was from the 24th page of a 247 page thread. do you like, bookmark that poo poo?