Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Meltzer & Bryan talking about how Bray Wyatt isn't a very effective heel made me think of JR. I saw his live show recently, and he said the same thing. He was talking about what a good heel should be, then basically rolled his eyes and did the "whole world in his hands" song and said that that's NOT a good heel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
No mention from JR about blowing out the electric lantern?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

triplexpac posted:

Meltzer & Bryan talking about how Bray Wyatt isn't a very effective heel made me think of JR. I saw his live show recently, and he said the same thing. He was talking about what a good heel should be, then basically rolled his eyes and did the "whole world in his hands" song and said that that's NOT a good heel.

Yeah I noticed that as well, In a way I disagree because the idea of a cult leader is swaying the masses with a lot of words that don't mean anything but a whole lot of charisma. So in that respect it works, the problem is people are loving stupid and buy into it exactly like buying into a cult. Which just makes him over like a babyface.

So... in a way it works in regards to his gimmick, but Bray's not done something to get the audience to completely turn on him, and you can say he did when he was facing Bryan, but I don't wanna hear this bullshit that it's Cena so he's gonna be cheered. Edge knew exactly how to get the audience to hate his guts to the point of cheering Cena.

ExplodeYourself
Jan 19, 2006
Bray Wyatt is in a feud with a guy who half of their audience despises and poetically articulates why that half despises him. It is like call Mr. Plinkett from Red Letter Media a bad heel over his reviews of the Star Wars prequels.

ExplodeYourself fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 20, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ExplodeYourself posted:

Bray Wyatt is in a feud with a guy who half of their audience despises and poetically articulate why that half despises him. It is like call Mr. Plinkett from Red Letter Media a bad heel over his reviews of the Star Wars prequels.

But here's the thing. The only time Bray has ever been booed was his feud with Bryan, because the audience rightfully picked up that this was an attempt to turn Bryan heel and get him out of the title picture. Edge could get the crowd to cheer Cena over himself, he was amazing as a heel because he could get anybody cheered over himself. Punk was a better cult leaded with the S.E.S. because he did things that were legit creepy and assholish and acted like he was Jesus. Hell even during the year long title reign he was able to turn the fans against him. Paul Heyman went out in London to the crowd loving him and ATTEMPTED TO GET THEM TO BOO HIM.

The problem is... What's Bray ever done in this feud in an attempt to get boos?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Bray Wyatt is dropping hometown names and doing sing song chants. He never does like Paul Heyman and at least TRY to turn it back on the fans and get boos, he just eats them up. I mean, it's good a guy is over, but this build is weird. Everything is weird right now.

Just think, the storyline that had so much momentum and got everyone excited for WM was actually never supposed to happen. WWE had no intention of Daniel Bryan winning the title, at all. If they hadn't been smart enough to seize on it, the wrestling situation would been even more dire.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think they're just very very afraid of people actually booing Bray since the storyline they're doing kind of hinges on people 'following' him. I doubt it's much more complicated than that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think they're just very very afraid of people actually booing Bray since the storyline they're doing kind of hinges on people 'following' him. I doubt it's much more complicated than that.

It's just so weird though haha. Like if you make the crowd enjoy the heel and have them cheer him, is he even a heel anymore? :psyduck:

I'm very curious what the payoff to this feud will be. I assume Cena wins in the end and vanquishes his doubts, but that won't make the crowd happy.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

triplexpac posted:

It's just so weird though haha. Like if you make the crowd enjoy the heel and have them cheer him, is he even a heel anymore? :psyduck:

I'm very curious what the payoff to this feud will be. I assume Cena wins in the end and vanquishes his doubts, but that won't make the crowd happy.

This is why they never should have dragged the crowd into this. You can't control the crowd and as Dave said, the only result this feud has had is making Cena Segments draw less viewers and making it so the crowd is less into it since there's less cheers and boos.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yep. Tweeners don't draw. A good heel and a good face do. Bray comes out and does every babyface action in the world (because he's a cult leader) and it just isn't working. You need to understand what the audience likes and dislikes and not do what they like if you're a heel, and do the opposite if you're a face. I agree with what Dave said, but I saw it and pointed out that this was hurting John Cena before Wrestlemania.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bray was a fine heel against Bryan. The problem is that you can't stick a guy you want to be an over heel in a feud against someone a large percentage of your audience is sick of and resents and expect that person to not be cheered by a portion of the crowd.

A certain group of people are just so sick of John Cena that it's almost impossible for him to be in a feud where his opponent isn't a tweener.

It also does not help you one bit when you don't allow your "heel" to do anything that could make John Cena look weak in any way.

When you have a heel who is getting cheers from a sizable percentage of the crowd and you want your face over more, the last thing you need to do is constantly put your face over in any situations where they interact. Their pussyfooting around John Cena just makes Bray Wyatt look sympathetic.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 20, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Bray was a fine heel against Bryan. The problem is that you can't stick a guy you want to be an over heel in a feud against someone a large percentage of your audience is sick of and resents and expect that person to not be cheered by a portion of the crowd.

A certain group of people are just so sick of John Cena that it's almost impossible for him to be in a feud where his opponent isn't a tweener.

It also does not help you one bit when you don't allow your "heel" to do anything that could make John Cena look weak in any way.

When you have a heel who is getting cheers from a sizable percentage of the crowd and you want your face over more, the last thing you need to do is constantly put your face over in any situations where they interact. Their pussyfooting around John Cena just makes Bray Wyatt look sympathetic.

So basically, Bray has had a total of one guy on the entire roster that the fans didn't want to see him beat, because it was perceived as a burial for Bryan. And this is Cena's fault. Because I don't know if you were paying attention, but he got cheers against everyone else too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Onmi posted:

So basically, Bray has had a total of one guy on the entire roster that the fans didn't want to see him beat, because it was perceived as a burial for Bryan. And this is Cena's fault. Because I don't know if you were paying attention, but he got cheers against everyone else too.

It's not any one thing, is the issue here.

a) They've neutered promo work for so long that even good heel promos are going to be viewed as a breath of fresh air.
b) Bray panders to the crowd too much.
c) A significant portion of fans are just sick of John Cena and will champion his opponent simply out of spite.
d) They've done nothing but put Cena over for the duration of the feud.
e) John Cena feuds have been booked the same way for so long that it was/is only a matter of time before people cared less.
f) I think Wyatt goes so far over the heads of Cena's kid fan base that I'm not sure they even know how to respond, especially when their guy is winning everything anyway.
g) They've hosed up enough non-Shield poo poo since Mania that response in general has gone down.
h) There have been reports of the company encouraging the tweener poo poo for "realism"
i) People are popping for newer acts because they're fresh

In short, Bray could do more to make himself look like a stronger heel but the extent to which he can control things simply by doing so is limited to begin with.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

It's not any one thing, is the issue here.

a) They've neutered promo work for so long that even good heel promos are going to be viewed as a breath of fresh air.
b) Bray panders to the crowd too much.
c) A significant portion of fans are just sick of John Cena and will champion his opponent simply out of spite.
d) They've done nothing but put Cena over for the duration of the feud.
e) John Cena feuds have been booked the same way for so long that it was/is only a matter of time before people cared less.
f) I think Wyatt goes so far over the heads of Cena's kid fan base that I'm not sure they even know how to respond, especially when their guy is winning everything anyway.
g) They've hosed up enough non-Shield poo poo since Mania that response in general has gone down.
h) There have been reports of the company encouraging the tweener poo poo for "realism"
i) People are popping for newer acts because they're fresh

In short, Bray could do more to make himself look like a stronger heel but the extent to which he can control things simply by doing so is limited to begin with.

But this has been going on since before Cena, He was not getting booed against any of his opponents and never made an attempt to get booed by them until the Bryan stuff where he was naturally booed because it was taking Bryan away from the title picture.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
You can't do Charlie Manson cult leader in the PG era. Adding an uncomfortably violent side to him would help turn the crowd. Cena needs to be bloodied up (like Eddie Guerrero at Judgment Day 2004) while Bray has an orgasm spreading the blood over his face and body. Then write a message on the mat with the blood.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Onmi posted:

But this has been going on since before Cena, He was not getting booed against any of his opponents and never made an attempt to get booed by them until the Bryan stuff where he was naturally booed because it was taking Bryan away from the title picture.

And my point is that even accounting for his flaws, this is primarily attributable to prolonged booking incompetence of the company. I don't think it's a coincidence that the only person he was able to get booed against is the only person they've actually been able to make a universal face.

It's hard to make someone a fully-realized heel if you don't have fully-realized faces. They've booked so many people into a purgatory that Bray is likely going to seem like a cool guy regardless of what he does because he actually gets to cut promos you haven't heard an infinite number of times over the last decade and he actually has some kind of discernible personality. When your pool of possible opponents consists almost exclusively of guys fans are sick of or guys fans just don't give the slightest poo poo about, it's hard to get heel heat while being something that's fresh and exciting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Jubs posted:

You can't do Charlie Manson cult leader in the PG era. Adding an uncomfortably violent side to him would help turn the crowd. Cena needs to be bloodied up (like Eddie Guerrero at Judgment Day 2004) while Bray has an orgasm spreading the blood over his face and body. Then write a message on the mat with the blood.

Or like when Lesnar in 2012 busted him open hard and then licked the blood from his gloves like a complete Psycho. I know they don't wanna make Mattel sad but at the same time

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

THE PUNCHSPORT ROADCAST

Me, The Goog & MassRafTer hung out this weekend to check out RING OF HONOR: WAR OF THE WORLDS.

The following podcast is a recording of our drive out of the city, eating food at a diner and going back home.

Note: Audio quality is not great. There is also a point around the 35 minute mark poo poo gets kinda windy and audio starts to suck real bad. Kind of clears up around 42:21 though. Goog used a wacky voice recorder and I used my phone so there are a few points where the audio changes sort of drastically.

00:09:10 - Recorder to Phone (Gets lower)
00:15:58 - Phone to Recorder (Gets louder)
00:17:48 - Recorder to Phone (Gets lower)
00:17:58 - Phone to Recorder (Gets louder)
00:36:02 - Recorder to Phone (Gets lower)
00:36:44 - Phone to Recorder (Gets louder)
00:41:16 - Recorder to Phone (Gets lower)
00:42:20 - Phone to Recorder (Gets louder)
01:03:44 - Recorder to Phone (Gets lower)
01:07:53 - Phone to Recorder (Gets louder)

We should hopefully be back later this week to actually do a 10 Count.

I consider the first 10 minutes a musical intro.

Me and Goog did recording the next day also giving a shout out to everybody we met as we had breakfast - but that audio didn't come out well so I'm just gonna say again it was cool to meet the bunch of you that showed up.

Apologies for not getting this out sooner - on Monday I deleted everything I had done and wanted to redo the whole thing.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 21, 2014

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I learned from listening to jericho's podcast that the honey badger guy has a podcast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

DannoMack posted:

I learned from listening to jericho's podcast that the honey badger guy has a podcast.

I don't know who the honey badger guy is, but I heard the trailer for his podcast and it sounded pretty awful.

On the plus side, "The Adventures of Steve Austin: Hapless Husband Home Alone" has been pretty hilarious.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HulkaMatt we're over.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

weekly font posted:

HulkaMatt we're over.

Absolutely not!!!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Hulkamatt why didn't you just turn off the radio when you started recording.

Discount Trombones
Jan 22, 2014
He was waiting for it to tell him everything it knew.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Karmine posted:

Hulkamatt why didn't you just turn off the radio when you started recording.

Because I didn't want to start recording yet I wanted to listen to some music and drink something for my throat.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

MassRafTer posted:

Because I didn't want to start recording yet I wanted to listen to some music and drink something for my throat.

What a diva!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
This is getting ridiculous. Goldberg now has a show called "Who's Next?" debuting this Friday.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Daniel Bryan posted:

This is getting ridiculous. Goldberg now has a show called "Who's Next?" debuting this Friday.

Is it also on PodcastOne?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Guys I am starting PodcastTwo and signing Horshu, Sick Boy, Val Venis, Chris Chetti and Roadkill to do shows. The Val Venis show will be the token Ron Paul podcast.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

triplexpac posted:

Is it also on PodcastOne?

Yes. NASCAR driver Tony Stewart is the first guest.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 21, 2014

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Daniel Bryan posted:

Is it 2-3 min long?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I personally can't wait until Austin, JR, and Jericho all come on his show to tell us their stories!

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Daniel Bryan posted:

Hopefully he gets more guests like this because the wrestling podcast scene is beginning to get as stagnant as the stand-up comedy podcast scene

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Daniel Bryan posted:

If you're not familiar with Tony, know that this will probably own because he has a notoriously poor filter

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

let's nobody listen to the Goldberg show because who could possibly care

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Colt Cabana must be ragin with all these big names muscling in on his territory and him having gone through all the big names he can get twice.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
This PodcastOne bubble has to burst at some point, right? Or are they run by some giant media conglomerate?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Wrestler podcasts are the new wrestler autobiographies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

epitasis posted:

let's nobody listen to the Goldberg show because who could possibly care

Probably people who are into cars and stuff. Plus Goldberg is a pretty cool guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Wrestler podcasts are the new wrestler autobiographies.
I want a Hogan podcast which is nothing but alternate retellings of historic events from his perspective...even if he wasn't involved or if it involved wrestling.

• Locked thread