Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don't forget the old, deceased brother:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I wish I were rich so I could collect all of those beautiful machines. :swoon:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Butt Savage posted:

I wish I were rich so I could collect all of those beautiful machines. :swoon:
Good thing they're not collectors items so you can buy them for cheap when people dump them :v:

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Am I the only one that thinks an 11" air is just too small? 13 is fine, but 11" might as well be an iPad.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

PRADA SLUT posted:

Am I the only one that thinks an 11" air is just too small? 13 is fine, but 11" might as well be an iPad.

It's awesome. If they got rid of the bezel and fit a 12.5" 1600x900 screen in there...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

PRADA SLUT posted:

People said that about the 12" iBook G4 too. Those people were wrong.

I traded my 13" MBP for an 11" air as my only computer. I flew literally every other day in January, and loved being able to do actual work with almost-iPad portability.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Feb 3, 2013

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bob Morales posted:

It's awesome. If they got rid of the bezel and fit a 12.5" 1600x900 screen in there...

The form factor is fine but the screen is minuscule. If they could remove the bezel and squeeze a bigger display in there, that would be pretty slick.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

japtor posted:

Good thing they're not collectors items so you can buy them for cheap when people dump them :v:

Touché. Some day.

11" Chat: There's something awesome about having a little laptop like that that can do almost everything most people need a computer to do. Especially when compared to the awful attempts by netbooks (goddammit, Jobs, you were right! :argh:). Even though an iPad could perform most of the same tasks, it's still not as flexible as a real deal laptop. Airs are only going to get better year after year, and it's pretty exciting to see where mobile computing is going thanks to them.

Didn't some company recently come out with new LCD tech that makes screens even thinner and would be available within this year? Maybe your dream will come true some day, Bob.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

PRADA SLUT posted:

The form factor is fine but the screen is minuscule. If they could remove the bezel and squeeze a bigger display in there, that would be pretty slick.

I tried the 11 and 13 side by side for an hour before deciding on the 13. I love the form factor of the 11 but the screen resolution feels too small.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Thank you all for the input on whether to wait on the next gen rMBP. I ended up giving in and buying a 15 rMBP and at present time I couldn't be happier. For my use cases (software development, general tasks (email/docs/etcetc)) this thing is quite amazing. I don't do any graphic design or play taxing games so any shortcomings there have no effect on me. I'm hoping that I don't experience any of the setbacks that some of you have but so far so good.

KarmaticStylee fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Feb 3, 2013

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

I tried the 11 and 13 side by side for an hour before deciding on the 13. I love the form factor of the 11 but the screen resolution feels too small.
My dream is a retina 11" so I could scale it for more usable screen space.

...granted with how tiny things could get it might not be all that usable at that point. But hell I've remoted into my Mac's 24" 1920x1200 screen from my iPad and used that fine.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Should have added to my last post. I am going to add to our Mac family by picking up a 13" Air for my wife. Her use case is college work so nothing more than documents and so forth but she does a fair amount of writing at home so I'd like to get her an external monitor to dock it at her desk. Is the 13" Air powerful enough to work with a Thunderbolt display? Or would I be better off getting something with a smaller resolution?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

If you just need writing/email on the go and have a monitor at home, the 11" is perfect. It's a pain in the dick for using for any kind of development or anything because you just can't fit poo poo on the screen with 768 vertical pixels. Swiping between Spaces doesn't help one bit when you're trying to look at a bunch of code or use FireBug/Chrome Inspector.

KarmaticStylee posted:

Is the 13" Air powerful enough to work with a Thunderbolt display? Or would I be better off getting something with a smaller resolution?

Of course it is.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
Does anyone have any experience running something like Ableton Live on an Air / MBP? I'm not sure if I need an MBP to get the job done or if I'd be fine with an Air.

how!!
Nov 19, 2011

by angerbot
Typical Mac users

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
My G4 1.33 GHz Mini is running a bit sluggish so I'm considering buying more ram for it. Right now it has 512 mb of ram and I want to up it 1 GB.

I have a few questions: Do I need to buy 'special' mac ram? Many electronic retailers sell ram specifically for Macs that almost seem identical to PC ram. Also I read somewhere online that that my Mini only supports up to PC2700 but system profiler is telling me I have PC3200.

Also, is it possible that switching back to Tiger from Leopard will speed up my old machine?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Bedurndurn posted:

Does anyone have any experience running something like Ableton Live on an Air / MBP? I'm not sure if I need an MBP to get the job done or if I'd be fine with an Air.

Ableton ran fine on my C2D MB with 2GB and a 5400rpm HD. It'll be great on an Air. I imagine an SSD would be a huge advantage.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

My G4 1.33 GHz Mini is running a bit sluggish so I'm considering buying more ram for it. Right now it has 512 mb of ram and I want to up it 1 GB.

I have a few questions: Do I need to buy 'special' mac ram? Many electronic retailers sell ram specifically for Macs that almost seem identical to PC ram. Also I read somewhere online that that my Mini only supports up to PC2700 but system profiler is telling me I have PC3200.

Also, is it possible that switching back to Tiger from Leopard will speed up my old machine?

I'm pretty sure it will, but software compatibility will probably be even lower. I doubt that's a dealbreaker for you.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

You don't need special Mac RAM but PPC Macs can be pretty picky with the timings that they'll support. As long as you get something that matches the old you'll be fine.

To make it faster it can depend on how much money you want to spend. You can get it a SSD or at least a new, faster, larger disk.

10.4 will probably be a better fit for it unless you really need Time Machine.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

~Coxy posted:

To make it faster it can depend on how much money you want to spend.
And at a certain point (cause the cost of upgrades) you should just look into just replacing it with an Intel model, ideally 2009 or later.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Oh yes, definitely. I just assumed there is some sort of PPC-only reason to keep using the mini. (It can't be Classic mode, though...)
If not then don't bother buying any expensive old RAM/HDD/OS for it, just put the money towards a new machine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bedurndurn posted:

Air should be fine, unless you're doing heavy VST work. Even so, just freeze the tracks. I was running Live on a C2D.

The bigger hangup would be RAM and HDD speed.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I'm coming up on 1 year for my mac mini. I'm going back to school in about 3 months. Should I:
- Buy the apple care, for 2 more years of warranty
- Sell it, live without it for a few months, and then buy a new laptop (mba 11 or 13) in 2-3 months time
- Buy the apple care, use it for the 3 months, sell it then, and then buy said laptop then

If I do sell it, how much should I expect to get for it, both with and without apple care? Main reason being, if anything major breaks, it's going to cost far more than $150 to fix.

Stock late-2011 mini
2.3ghz i5
upgraded to 8gb ram
upgraded to 128gb Crucial M4
Cosmetically, almost perfect.
Apple aluminum keyboard

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Mac minis tend to have ridiculous resale value so I'd just hold on until you need whatever new machine. Looking at eBay completed listings most 2011s are getting $500+. It'll go down if new Mac minis come out by the time you look sell (unlikely if that's in 3 months) but even then the value generally doesn't really drop that much.

Whether you want AppleCare or not is up to you, I usually just go by how the machine has been working up to now...but poo poo can always go wrong randomly down the line. And one more thing that might change the equation for you, you can get AppleCare from B&H for $104.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

KarmaticStylee posted:

Thank you all for the input on whether to wait on the next gen rMBP. I ended up giving in and buying a 15 rMBP and at present time I couldn't be happier. For my use cases (software development, general tasks (email/docs/etcetc)) this thing is quite amazing. I don't do any graphic design or play taxing games so any shortcomings there have no effect on me. I'm hoping that I don't experience any of the setbacks that some of you have but so far so good.

I fired wow up on my 15 rMBP and to my suprize it runs on ultra at full resolution. Sure its only 20-30fps but that is all you need in wow. At recomended settings it was in the 90s.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

bloodysabbath posted:

I've got 3k allotted for a 15 inch retina MBP with 16gb of ram, and now this thread has me terrified that I'm going to end up with a laggy mess. :(

I was planning on holding off until the next refresh, though. Is the lag in the retinas a common problem? Every site I've read had nothing but praise for it, but then again, lol tech journalism.

Sorry I'm a bit late on this, but as a previous owner of two 13" Macbook Airs that just picked up an rMBP 15", it's been a great experience for me. I can understand on an intellectual level that it's a bit laggier but it doesn't bug me at all. You should try them out to see for yourself which camp you fall into. I'm a software developer, for the record.

The only thing that bugs me coming from those Airs is that it's a little heavier than I'd like. But even that hasn't been a big deal. And the screen is just as fantastic as everybody says. It was definitely worth switching for me by itself.

Fistful of Silence fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Feb 4, 2013

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fistful of Silence posted:

Sorry I'm a bit late on this, but as a previous owner of two 13" Macbook Airs that just picked up an rMBP 15", it's been a great experience for me. I can understand on an intellectual level that it's a bit laggier but it doesn't bug me at all. You should try them out to see for yourself which camp you fall into. I'm a software developer, for the record.

The only thing that bugs me coming from those Airs is that it's a little heavier than I'd like. But even that hasn't been a big deal. And the screen is just as fantastic as everybody says. It was definitely worth switching for me by itself.

Owning a rMBP allows you to sing this song in public:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8

etalian fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 4, 2013

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

spunkshui posted:

I fired wow up on my 15 rMBP and to my suprize it runs on ultra at full resolution. Sure its only 20-30fps but that is all you need in wow. At recomended settings it was in the 90s.

Yup rMBP 15' runs Hard Reset, Star Craft 2, Borderlands 2, XCOM Enemy Unknown at decent settings to 60 fps. It's a good gaming machine and great development machine.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Next week I'm pulling the trigger on a 27" iMac. I'm going with the 3.2Ghz version for the bump in the video card. I asked before about the Fusion drive, and everyone said that the 7200 RPM drive should really be sufficient. I'm going to go with the bigger hard drive since I do need storage. However, I have two other questions:

-Should I bump up the CPU to the i7? I don't really think I'll be doing anything which would really require the hyper-threading.
-Should I bump up the GPU? Is that other card + 1GB more VRAM worth it? I imagine I'll be doing some gaming on my Windows partition?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you're dropping $1800, is another $200 worth it to you?

You're talking about a 10% price increase for the i7 and 1GB.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Joe Don Baker posted:

Next week I'm pulling the trigger on a 27" iMac. I'm going with the 3.2Ghz version for the bump in the video card. I asked before about the Fusion drive, and everyone said that the 7200 RPM drive should really be sufficient. I'm going to go with the bigger hard drive since I do need storage. However, I have two other questions:

-Should I bump up the CPU to the i7? I don't really think I'll be doing anything which would really require the hyper-threading.
-Should I bump up the GPU? Is that other card + 1GB more VRAM worth it? I imagine I'll be doing some gaming on my Windows partition?

The upgraded 680MX is a brute compared to the 675MX, the added VRAM is just a bomus.

675MX - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-675MX.82580.0.html

680MX - http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-680MX.83519.0.html

This image is terribly poor but its all I could find.

EDIT : To put it in perspective you will get roughly the same performance out of the 680MX as you would get out of the desktop 660TI card (Which is the best value/power card in the current 600 series and is at the upper end). Likewise you will get roughly the same power out of the 675MX as the 560TI (The previous generation of the aforementioned 660TI, which fulfilled the same role in their product lineup).

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 5, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh wow thanks. That's 680mx is definitely worth it considering the card isn't upgradable later.

Couch Life
Aug 20, 2010

Would you guys say a fully upgrade late 2010 MBA (4GB ram, 2.13 intel core 2 duo, 256 SSD) for $800 is a good deal, or should I hold out for a newer refurbished MBA from Apple?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Couch Life posted:

Would you guys say a fully upgrade late 2010 MBA (4GB ram, 2.13 intel core 2 duo, 256 SSD) for $800 is a good deal, or should I hold out for a newer refurbished MBA from Apple?

I would not be buying anything with a C2D in it. It's already 3 years old. If you already owned it I would say don't upgrade unless you're being held back by it, but I wouldn't go out and get one.

There was as 2012 13" Pro in SA-Mart for $800 a week or so ago. Best Buy had that open-box sale 2 weeks ago, last week Amazon and Best Buy had the 13" Air for $999....deals are always out there. And used 2011 13" Airs 4GB/128GB are always for sale for $700-ish.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

iMac image retention, anyone? This is a 2010 21.5"

See the big black streak?

This is what my screen looks like most of the day.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I would not be buying anything with a C2D in it. It's already 3 years old. If you already owned it I would say don't upgrade unless you're being held back by it, but I wouldn't go out and get one.

There was as 2012 13" Pro in SA-Mart for $800 a week or so ago. Best Buy had that open-box sale 2 weeks ago, last week Amazon and Best Buy had the 13" Air for $999....deals are always out there. And used 2011 13" Airs 4GB/128GB are always for sale for $700-ish.

Yeah and the older versions have worse battery life, worse camera and also much slower SSD write speeds. It just makes sense to sell the old laptop and use the money to upgrade when convient such as waiting for the June Haswell refresh.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Looking at buying a new laptop for uni work and stuff on the go, and the 13" air looks perfect for me. I have a 2007 Macbook Pro, but the logic board poo poo the bed last year and I never managed to get it fixed. Looks like I can get a new logic board for <£200 (and there's a place that will do it for £96 for a new one if I send them my broken one)...would that be a better option until the new Airs come out?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A new air would be so so so much better than your MBP. I wouldn't put any more money in it.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Potential good news for anyone waiting on a BTO 27" iMac. My order just shipped a week early! Hopefully they have sorted out the production issues and the shipping times will return to normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Legdiian posted:

Potential good news for anyone waiting on a BTO 27" iMac. My order just shipped a week early! Hopefully they have sorted out the production issues and the shipping times will return to normal.

I was just about to ask this question. I just pulled the trigger on a 27" and was wondering if the shipping estimates were correct or whatever.