Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

Paingod556 posted:

Dunno if anyone has posted this yet but, I guess it's Vives counter to the super-cheap Oculus offer? :effort:

https://www.vive.com/au/front-defense-special-edition/

$100 off (it's ~$1300 in 'Straya so) free copy of a game I've not heard of before, and a special cover thing.

Front defense is garbage but the offer sounds good to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horrorosaurus
Oct 22, 2010

kaffo posted:

I am jelous as gently caress of you nerds. I am a truly single threaded man, I cannot concentrate on two things at once.

Either:
a. Miss entire blocks of the show as I 100% ignore it
b. Not realise my spaceship has been sitting in system waiting to jump for 10 full minutes (or more)
c. Miss the show and crash the ship into a nearby sun by leaving the throttle open after a jump, but hey on the good news I got another page down in the anonymous confessions thread!

Jealous, really? Reading the description and imagining laying on the floor watching Netflix and managing a polygonal space-ship all while restricting yourself into a VR environment, not really doing any of it 100% was one of the saddest, loneliest things to imagine going through :(

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Horrorosaurus posted:

Jealous, really? Reading the description and imagining laying on the floor watching Netflix and managing a polygonal space-ship all while restricting yourself into a VR environment, not really doing any of it 100% was one of the saddest, loneliest things to imagine going through :(

Maybe not that specific application, but it's to the extent I can't listen to someone talk while I read something. Or enjoy music and work.

I mean there's positives to being able to focus on one thing, it means I can super easily block out distractions since I just don't even notice them. But it's caught me out a gently caress load of times, like talking to someone and nearly getting run over by a bus.

I'm mostly jelous of people who can watch like an entire season of Archer on one monitor while they play Diablo or something.

The most I can do is poo poo and read SA on my phone :smith:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Horrorosaurus posted:

I mean, if you're playing videogames instead of doing literally anything else you're probably already pretty far gone so you're just taking it to its logical conclusion

Otherwise you might just have to be an adult and admit that doing doofy things you find fun is a good and okay thing to do as long as it doesn't hurt anyone or yourself v:shobon:v

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I couldn't resist that sale price and just ordered the rift + controllers bundle. Is there anything else I need? Did I read something about usb extender cables or a dedicated usb card needed for my PC? I've got 2 usb 3 slots on the front, 2 on the back and a couple of usb 2 slots on the back too I think, is that sufficient?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Bad Parenting posted:

I couldn't resist that sale price and just ordered the rift + controllers bundle. Is there anything else I need? Did I read something about usb extender cables or a dedicated usb card needed for my PC? I've got 2 usb 3 slots on the front, 2 on the back and a couple of usb 2 slots on the back too I think, is that sufficient?

For the best performance, you really need 3 different USB 3 ports on 2 different controllers.

I have found the Rift headset is a lot less picky about USB 3 ports. It can plug into my motherboard's (old-rear end Z68 Asus Maximus) onboard port without the Oculus software complaining, but the Oculus software does not like the onboard USB 3 for the sensors (downgrades them to USB 2.0).

For 2 sensors, an Inateck USB 3.0 PCI card works great. If you get this card, lots of people on Windows 10 have said to NOT get the manufacturer drivers, and just keep the stock Windows 10 drivers. I am on Windows 8.1 and the manufacturer drivers work great for me, especially when combined with the Oculus Tray Tool. I don't think the Inateck card can reliably run 3 sensors at USB 3.0, but even Oculus says that if you get a third sensor you should run it at USB 2.0.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bad Parenting posted:

If your motherboard isn't too old generally, you should be fine to have the headset and a sensor on 3.0 and the other sensor on 2.0 without problems. I'm guessing the usb 3.0 slots on the front are still part of the same controller? If they are a separate controller then you could probably have everything on 3.0. Still, its honestly not a big deal having one on 2.0.

Now, if your motherboard is older and has lovely usb controllers that aren't up to spec, then yeah, you'll probably need to pick up an pci-e usb card. this one is general recommended if you're going to pick up a 3rd sensor down the road and just want to augment your onboard. If all your onboard ones are poo poo, then you'll probably need to pick up something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Express-Supe...artech+usb+card which has 4 dedicated controllers so you can't overload it, but obviously its pricier.

My advice, just hook up with what you have built in, if at that point you have an issue, then start looking at doing something else.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, if you want to do a 360 setup with 2 sensors you will need an extension cable for at least one sensor this is a good one, however if you decide you want to grab a 3rd sensor at some point, it does come with its own 5m extension cable anyways so you wouldn't need to buy another (unless you need them to mount the 2 front ones up high if that isn't near your computer). Anyways, thats still my recommendation to start out of the box, front facing, and then if you go "holy poo poo this is amazing, I need to convert my whole room into a holodeck" pick up a 3rd sensor and start looking into mounting them up high in the corners and nerding out.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 4, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
raw data pvp is insanely fun. overwatch koth-lite

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Thanks for the replies, my PC is less than 2 years old, I've got an i7 6700k processor and an Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 motherboard so I'll just see how it goes when it turns up I guess.

I'll order one of those extension cables though for one sensor, are the headset cables long enough as is?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I'm behind the news, when is the Vive wireless stuff coming out.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I like how VR as a platform is already producing some cool documentaries. Nothing huge yet but stuff like Zero Days, the two Obama White House shorts, and the BBC stuff (well, the latest Easter Rising one at least) are all very well done. Well worth checking out if you're looking for more passive VR poo poo to do.

Bad Parenting posted:

Thanks for the replies, my PC is less than 2 years old, I've got an i7 6700k processor and an Asus Z170M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 motherboard so I'll just see how it goes when it turns up I guess.

I'll order one of those extension cables though for one sensor, are the headset cables long enough as is?
Depending on the size of your space, it can be worth getting a third sensor. My space is two small/awkward for two sensors to get proper coverage (it's not a particularly square/rectangular space). And people generally report better/fuller coverage with three. Worth bearing in mind once you've seen how the two sensors do for you.

The USB thing seems to be a crapshoot, try out onboard or whatever else and if needs be get the Inatek as above.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Aug 4, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Darke GBF posted:

drat, Arizona Sunshine is pretty intense at times. Robo Recall usually wasn't very challenging, so a game where you'll die if you're not accurate enough is pretty scary.

Although I'm kind of at the point where I can just empty the clips into oncoming hordes and still have enough ammo. Normal is pretty generous with the ammo pickups.

If all you did in robo recall was play the story through. Sure. Not challenging.

Now shoot for high scores with friends. And mess wth mods. Games got replay like huge

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Bad Parenting posted:

For my medium-sized living room I ordered the 3-ft AmazonBasics HDMI and USB 3.0 extenders. Those work perfectly with the Rift and give me the ability to be anywhere in my living area without putting pressure on the cable or connector on the Rift. YMMV.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

bobfather posted:

For my medium-sized living room I ordered the 3-ft AmazonBasics HDMI and USB 3.0 extenders. Those work perfectly with the Rift and give me the ability to be anywhere in my living area without putting pressure on the cable or connector on the Rift. YMMV.

This is what I did too, seems to add the perfect length. Also makes it much easier to disconnect the headset if you don't want to leave it plugged in.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

I'm behind the news, when is the Vive wireless stuff coming out.

You are not behind the news. There is no ETA on any wireless Vive stuff.

There are two major systems that should be out "shortly".

TPCast is out in China only and can be acquired if you order through a reshipper and provide your own battery. It appears this costs about ~$600 all said and done. I believe it used to take many weeks, but now the delivery is a bit faster. They've apparently demoed in the US and have stated it should be out "soon". I'm guessing they are dealing with FCC cert.

Intel has a wireless solution that requires a PCI slot I believe they've stated "soon".

No dates or prices for sale in the US unless you want to get a reshipped TPCast. There are numerous stories/reviews of the TPCast on reddit/vive.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 4, 2017

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

kaffo posted:

Maybe not that specific application, but it's to the extent I can't listen to someone talk while I read something. Or enjoy music and work.

I mean there's positives to being able to focus on one thing, it means I can super easily block out distractions since I just don't even notice them. But it's caught me out a gently caress load of times, like talking to someone and nearly getting run over by a bus.

I'm mostly jelous of people who can watch like an entire season of Archer on one monitor while they play Diablo or something.

The most I can do is poo poo and read SA on my phone :smith:

This comes up a lot in studies relating to distracted driving. I don't think anyone is really good at multitasking, they just think they are.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
TPCast for the Rift is supposed to be out later this year, which is doubtful considering it isn't out for the Vive in the west.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I have all 3 of my Rift sensors plugged into usb 2.0 slots on my mobo and it seems to work just fine. Am I getting some lower performance by doing this?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

jubjub64 posted:

I have all 3 of my Rift sensors plugged into usb 2.0 slots on my mobo and it seems to work just fine. Am I getting some lower performance by doing this?

People that have tested USB2 vs 3 have noticed no discernible difference. Granted there hasn't been any super duper detailed testing and it's all anecdotal, but I can agree. I tried using all USB2 and all USB3 and I as well can't notice any difference. The only difference is in USB2 the data the camera sends back is compressed vs uncompressed in USB3.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ordered mine today from oculus. Hopefully it doesn't take a month to get here.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Scanner Sombre is an amazing experience in VR and I'm really glad I picked it up for :5bux: during the summer sale, it is unlike anything I've ever played before. I was getting goosebumps last night while exploring a big cave area.

Despite having VR support added as an afterthought (I think its VR mode is still considered beta and you need to enable beta updates in Steam to get it) it feels really well suited to a headset + motion controller setup.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Poetic Justice posted:

People that have tested USB2 vs 3 have noticed no discernible difference. Granted there hasn't been any super duper detailed testing and it's all anecdotal, but I can agree. I tried using all USB2 and all USB3 and I as well can't notice any difference. The only difference is in USB2 the data the camera sends back is compressed vs uncompressed in USB3.

I guess the compression could make a difference if I had a large play area or maybe if my controllers were barely in view. But my play area isn't that big so it seems to be great.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Agreed, I'm not surprised it didn't sell well because the VR experience really makes the game. Filling in the environment scratches a nice little ocd itch like cleaning a car or powerwashing a deck.

also, anyone else tried the latest Serious Sam Last Hope update? It added a skill tree and powerups. Bumped it up from medium to hard with these additions and man, I always forget how good this game is until I come back to it. A ton of depth and strategy for a wave shooter, decent length, lots of replayability, online co-op, really a highly recommended pickup. I'd go so far as to call it a Must Buy shooter along with Superhot and Space Pirate Trainer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Darke GBF posted:

drat, Arizona Sunshine is pretty intense at times. Robo Recall usually wasn't very challenging, so a game where you'll die if you're not accurate enough is pretty scary.

Although I'm kind of at the point where I can just empty the clips into oncoming hordes and still have enough ammo. Normal is pretty generous with the ammo pickups.

Yeah its great. Arizona Sunshine and Doom 3 all make me pretty scared in VR even though they wouldn't be that bad on a monitor compared to real horror games (like RE7) its just you feel so vunerable in VR.

Like when you get surrounded by zombies in Arizona Sunshine your brain actually has a moment of panic and fear until you actually "die" and everything goes grey or whatever.

But yeah, the game is mostly pretty fun. But I think that's a good thing, if a game can trick you into thinking its harder than it actually is, or being scarier than it actually is, then you feel really cool.

If a game is easy and seems easy, you get bored. If its too hard, you get stuck and frustrated. Seeming hard while actually being easy isn't an easy trick, but VR can really deliver.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

If all you did in robo recall was play the story through. Sure. Not challenging.

Now shoot for high scores with friends. And mess wth mods. Games got replay like huge

recommend some mods?

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
just got my Oculus today after never having tried VR and I'm blown away. Very cool, feels very futuristic. The tutorial alone was mind-blowing and the physical presence of the robots in Robo Recall is a totally unique sensation in my vidyagame experience

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Just finished Arizona Sunshine, really cool game and experience! I wish you could push doors open without holding the handle tho, that's my only gripe. And i would also like rifles other than the static ones.
At the very end where grab onto the helicopter and get flown away, woooooo what a head rush! Just held onto the chopper with one had and mirked fools with my deagle in the other.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

The Walrus posted:

recommend some mods?

Locomotion V6: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50243/roborecall-locomotion-mod-v1
Uzi/Glock/Sawed Off: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50312/a-little-robo-recall-treat
Trump: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8PPTDhOw14CVnNVNjBxZXZTdE0/view
Star Wars: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/50700/robo-recall-star-wars-mod
Fortnite melee weapons: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/5x22ap/add_fortnite_weapons_mod_to_robo_recall_robo_file/

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Okay so as I said I am out of the loop. Sad to hear about the wireless stuff not being out yet.

But I am pretty sure I am almost over my latest stint with Battle Brothers and looking to get back into VR. I know theres new Rec Room stuff out now, and I am gonna grab the new Steam version of Gorn, buy beyond that...

Has anything great and vive compatible come out in the last three or four months?

Also I think there was a VR TBS people said was good I wanted to check out but forgot the name, anyone know what I am talking about?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Okay so as I said I am out of the loop. Sad to hear about the wireless stuff not being out yet.

But I am pretty sure I am almost over my latest stint with Battle Brothers and looking to get back into VR. I know theres new Rec Room stuff out now, and I am gonna grab the new Steam version of Gorn, buy beyond that...

Has anything great and vive compatible come out in the last three or four months?

Also I think there was a VR TBS people said was good I wanted to check out but forgot the name, anyone know what I am talking about?

Echo Arena

It's on the Oculus store but it's free and incredible

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

recommend some mods?

He already got you, But basically those, plus skim the oculus/epic forum. Theres heaps of random poo poo.

http://www.roborecallmods.com/ seems to be like, a weird feed of poo poo from everywhere. Gonna be installing those reptar pistols tonight I think. :getin:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
JanusVR is horribly optimised and crazy janky and also one of the coolest VR experiences I've seen in a while. It's the most convincing "physical internet" or metaverse-y thing I've seen so far, opening up doors that are portals to rooms that people have made which are somehow actually websites(?) that link to other doors to other rooms to other worlds is super loving cool. Performance completely shits the bed after opening a couple of places but I've seen weird anime clubs, bizarre museums and someone's even ported the levels from the old GTA games for you to tromp around like a big confused giant in 3D. My dad would have absolutely adored this sort of thing.

True to the internet, you're gonna see a lot of anime and quality levels vary wildly, but there's definitely some stuff to see and for a free experience you can't really go wrong. Point at doors and press a button on your controller to activate them, then step through.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

EbolaIvory posted:

He already got you, But basically those, plus skim the oculus/epic forum. Theres heaps of random poo poo.

http://www.roborecallmods.com/ seems to be like, a weird feed of poo poo from everywhere. Gonna be installing those reptar pistols tonight I think. :getin:

you mentioned increased difficulty, anything along those lines?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

The Walrus posted:

you mentioned increased difficulty, anything along those lines?

You hitting world record high scores in ace mode? There's difficulty built right in. I didn't say difficulty mods did I? Ok good I didn't. And off hand I don't, I'm still working on completing all the challenges.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

I've had my Oculus less then a week, but I just tried Lucky's Tale for the first time tonight.

Man... those people who were trashing it for being a platformer in VR are idiots. It's a joy to play.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Grey posted:

I've had my Oculus less then a week, but I just tried Lucky's Tale for the first time tonight.

Man... those people who were trashing it for being a platformer in VR are idiots. It's a joy to play.

Yeah but its not so much a VR game as just a stereo 3D game. 3rd person VR games kinda miss the point.

Its a comfortable way to make a VR game but its not really a VR game. After awhile the tabletop view gets old and you kinda wish you were just playing on a TV instead.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I disagree, VR games don't have to necessarily be first person. Being an omnipotent observer works fantastically with Lucky's Tale storybook conceit and it still draws you into his world far more than if you were just playing Mario with 3D glasses or something.

My only problem with it is that its just not a very good platformer outside of the novelty of being a cute VR game. Luckily you can just load up Dolphin and play Mario in VR though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
All games would be better in vr

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Lemming posted:

All games would be better in vr

Esp. the game of life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

homeless snail posted:

I disagree, VR games don't have to necessarily be first person. Being an omnipotent observer works fantastically with Lucky's Tale storybook conceit and it still draws you into his world far more than if you were just playing Mario with 3D glasses or something.

My only problem with it is that its just not a very good platformer outside of the novelty of being a cute VR game. Luckily you can just load up Dolphin and play Mario in VR though.

Exactly. Being able to "walk" around a level and peak around corners and stuff is really cool. Lucky's Tale isnt the best game but I'm having a hoot with it, and it makes me hope for more games like it.