Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ze Pollack posted:

that and a lot of centrists are still v. mad at him for demonstrating Obama's commitment to civil rights can be best summed up as "lol"

:nsa:

you do realize you could have phrased this in a way that doesn't involve smug sniping at "centrists", right

and also maybe in a way that actually shares more information, but eh, let's not get crazy here, i'll take a vague reference to his past work without trying to stir poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Javes posted:

It's hilarious that they're trying to push this narrative that tax reform is a priority for normal everyday Americans.

And that Trump isn't pre-occupied with and constantly rubber necking towards poll numbers and crowd sizes and people being critical of him. Also again this whole press conference is just refusing to answer basically any questions whatsoever and belittling the very idea that the press would ask questions. Like just so loving belligerent. Like I'll take some questions now->Tons of pertinent questions that are on people's minds->WHAT A STUPID QUESTION, NOT GETTING INTO THAT, GOD I THOUGHT I WAS CLEAR ON THIS GUYS! TUESDAY!!!!!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

TVs Ian posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/903694203586318337

Not quite the described outfit, though I think it may be only the hat.

:allears:

aware of dog posted:

He looks like Gabe Newell in colonial garb

:aaaaa:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

No Butt Stuff posted:

^^^^:arghfist:

they elected a new pope!

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if some of the "diplomatic staff" suddenly got a strong urge to serve God as part of the clergy of the local Russian Orthodox Church.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
My understanding of the smoke thing is that the implication is that they're burning documents, yes?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Lightning Knight posted:

My understanding of the smoke thing is that the implication is that they're burning documents, yes?

No they elected a new pope.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
"Are we the baddies?"

Kale
May 14, 2010

I hope the press grills the ever loving loving poo poo out of her about all this stuff on Tuesday. Like just drown her in questions and point out this conference about how adamant she was about the Tuesday thing.

Also this Trump visit tomorrow intrigues me as does the idea of him actually meeting with real people and trying to demonstrate sentiments like empathy. I have a hard time believing this would ever actually happen. I've never seen Trump go into any environment that isn't guaranteed to be stocked with his hard line supporters and where things can go off script in a way that he isn't in control of.

e: second mentioning of this President loves people crap. Okay cool show it because all I see from him is hatred, bile and beefs about his enemies.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 1, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, the problem with Greenwald is that he buys into the tankie framing, i.e. using "America is specifically bad" as a starting baseline assumption and then working backwards to prove it, even if it means embracing shitheel human scum like Putin or the North Korean government that happen to position themselves as anti-American. it's essentially a weird variation on team politics instead of anything based on principles or ideology and it makes him come across as super douchey, because well, he's a douche.

Which undermines his stated aims and add to the confusion. Assuming that American Imperialism is the only thing that matters and therefore it's fine to ignore/deflect from Russian Imperialism is terrible. The only serious way to oppose fakenews, etc is with some actual loving honesty.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
When they closed the consulate they turn off the heat, everyone's huddled around the fireplace for warmth.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
This is sickening. These people are monsters.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/903691364122152962?s=15

Yup

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

TVs Ian posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/903694203586318337

Not quite the described outfit, though I think it may be only the hat.

Comedy is dead. Farce has outrun it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
lol that guy just gave you a huge opportunity to condemn antifa violence and she didn't take it

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes, although to be fair literally every foreign consulate on earth would be destroying documents like mad if they were about to be shut down/ compromised.

The funny part is that they might be using the chimney like loving amateurs instead of machines specially designed for the purpose of destroying documents past the NSAs ability to recover them.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Libertarian, just the rare kind that takes civil liberties seriously.

He's been very critical of the Temer government for it's deep austerity cuts. Why do you say he's a libertarian?

Kale
May 14, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

lol that guy just gave you a huge opportunity to condemn antifa violence and she didn't take it

She's too busy being standoffish, belittling and seemingly hating her job to notice.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Jesus Christ.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

you do realize you could have phrased this in a way that doesn't involve smug sniping at "centrists", right

no, i'm pretty sure he couldn't

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
That last question was extremely reasonable and her "I'm not gonna talk about it" makes me really mad.

Also all the questions.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yes, although to be fair literally every foreign consulate on earth would be destroying documents like mad if they were about to be shut down/ compromised.

The funny part is that they might be using the chimney like loving amateurs instead of machines specially designed for the purpose of destroying documents past the NSAs ability to recover them.

So... is this happening because of Mueller? I assume Trump didn't authorize this poo poo.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

and also maybe in a way that actually shares more information, but eh, let's not get crazy here, i'll take a vague reference to his past work without trying to stir poo poo

I could have, sure, but I have fond memories of the usual suspects explaining why blanket surveillance of Americans was Good Actually. for some reason they defend this belief less aggressively now that Jeff Sessions is trying to use it to ID who's protesting against Trump

:nsa:

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
What the hell is this 'suggest charities to the President' nonsense?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

or hard drives

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

haveblue posted:

When they closed the consulate they turn off the heat, everyone's huddled around the fireplace for warmth.
Normally I'd make a joke here about how cold SF is compared to everything around it but it's apparently 98 degrees there right now :stare:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

So... is this happening because of Mueller? I assume Trump didn't authorize this poo poo.

Tillerson, I think. I'm pretty sure he authorized the blowback on Russia for closing our stuff.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Glad they got 24 hours notice.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/RWPUSA/status/903705260828577792

If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

this is because they're being kicked out of those consulates, standard practice is to burn and destroy all documents

i have my suspicious tillerson didn't fully brief trump on the plan to kick the russians out of those consulates but it definitely wasn't mueller

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

evilweasel posted:

or hard drives

Everyone knows you wash hard drives with bleachacid wash, duh!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Jealous Cow posted:

https://twitter.com/RWPUSA/status/903705260828577792

If at first you don't succeed, try try again!

holy gently caress

the party of small government, indeed

Kale
May 14, 2010

theflyingorc posted:

That last question was extremely reasonable and her "I'm not gonna talk about it" makes me really mad.

Also all the questions.

All the questions were frankly totally fine so either she can't understand the difference between asking for preliminary details versus finalized ones on the DACA thing or priority one is just finding angles to try to belittle the pretense of being asked questions. Like seriously you announce something like that and then turn around and be pissy with the press asking you about your next big policy drive that you start off by blowing a lot of smoke about but turns out you actually possibly haven't even started discussing in detail within policy making circles. Either way it makes the Trump administration look bad again because either their just stonewalling the press on details or they haven't even begun to draft any actual policy yet and they just look incompetent again.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 1, 2017

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

CascadeBeta posted:

Glad they got 24 hours notice.

It is a diplomatic consulate.

You can't just search it.

The guest country will burn everything they can, the host country will try to find something they missed.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

Tillerson, I think. I'm pretty sure he authorized the blowback on Russia for closing our stuff.

I thought Tillerson was supposed to be in Putin's camp? Wasn't that the big worry when he was appointed?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Xae posted:

It is a diplomatic consulate.

You can't just search it.

The guest country will burn everything they can, the host country will try to find something they missed.

yeah you don't gently caress around with diplomatic privileges because they'll gently caress you right back

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Lightning Knight posted:

Yes, but I believe that is standard procedure when any consulate is vacated.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Normally I'd make a joke here about how cold SF is compared to everything around it but it's apparently 98 degrees there right now :stare:

And it's gonna be 111 today 40 minutes East of there

Global warming is fake

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Lightning Knight posted:

I thought Tillerson was supposed to be in Putin's camp? Wasn't that the big worry when he was appointed?

I think the current consensus is that Tillerson is kinda-sorta trying to do his job, perhaps maybe

I don't want to commit too hard on that because I'll summon a "Tillerson does something crazy evil" story out of the ether in the next 6 hours just by acting like he's not a complete mustache twirling villain for 5 seconds

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

logger posted:

Yes, but I believe that is standard procedure when any consulate is vacated.

Oh yeah, this doesn't surprise me at all. What surprises me is that we're kicking them out at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Under normal circumstances I'd consider him pretty terrible, but in this administration he's done a pretty good job of being the adult in the room.

• Locked thread