Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

I get it but why not "hang the rich" or "hang the cops"? The Kochs have done more to hurt some poor loser schmuck's chances in the modern economy than any woman or person of color. You can take just as much vitriol about your broken wasted life and actually blame someone who had something to do with it.

Yes, but that requires some basic level of intellectual competence/education. Most leftist movements are fighting uphill because it's so much easier to hate historically-othered enemies than the venerated rich. I'm not opposed to trying though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Feral Integral posted:

I wasn't aware that the Intercept was definitively pro russia?

Greenwald's ultimate aim is to show that America does bad things. He does this to such a degree that he gets mad at anything that shows that someone else does bad things or that the US is justified in any action it takes.

So it's not so much pro Russia as it is "The FBI is bad therefore they're probably lying"

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Is this press briefing gonna start before the end of the work day? Lol

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

greenwald isn't specifically pro-russia as he is anti-anti russia

like he's a republican who claims not to be pro trump but spends every waking moment attacking democrats for being so crazy about trump

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Lemming posted:

Her name is loving Reality Winner
I have some friends with the same last name and they are really stoked that she's part of their family as an extended relative.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Javes posted:

Is this press briefing gonna start before the end of the work day? Lol

Yeah for an urgent press briefing they sure don't seem to be in any sort of hurry. About to hit the one hour mark after when it was supposed to have started. Trump admin looking good and organized as always. Maybe the plot twist is she's the Friday firing and this is how we're finding out.

3,723 watching a government watermark expecting things like information and expediency in dispensing it from said government.

e: Oh poo poo we have action. She sounds as energetic as ever.

Kale fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 1, 2017

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
https://twitter.com/jpaceDC/status/903699071520690176

🤔

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

greenwald isn't specifically pro-russia as he is anti-anti russia

like he's a republican who claims not to be pro trump but spends every waking moment attacking democrats for being so crazy about trump

wait, Greenwald's a Republican?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

theflyingorc posted:

Then the Intercept published it in a way that made her super duper easy to catch because they're dumb.
That's certainly one possible explanation.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

theflyingorc posted:

Greenwald's ultimate aim is to show that America does bad things. He does this to such a degree that he gets mad at anything that shows that someone else does bad things or that the US is justified in any action it takes.

So it's not so much pro Russia as it is "The FBI is bad therefore they're probably lying"

I mean, Greenwald being a borderline tankie is just a part of why he's a douchebag, but "bad people want to use the problem of Russia being real bad guys to try and have another cold war" is not an illegitimate point, in the current climate. It's just that Greenwald completely downplays the exact level of threat Putin represents and how successful they are at assisting the resurgence of fascism in the west.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's a new Russian Pope

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

^^^^:arghfist:

they elected a new pope!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

pumpinglemma posted:

That's certainly one possible explanation.

I doubt they'd kill their ability to get further sources as a calculated move. They've really hamstrung themselves because nobody is gonna want to leak anything to them

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/press-briefing-press-secretary-sarah-sanders-8

SHuckS live

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean, Greenwald being a borderline tankie is just a part of why he's a douchebag, but "bad people want to use the problem of Russia being real bad guys to try and have another cold war" is not an illegitimate point, in the current climate. It's just that Greenwald completely downplays the exact level of threat Putin represents and how successful they are at assisting the resurgence of fascism in the west.

that and a lot of centrists are still v. mad at him for demonstrating Obama's commitment to civil rights can be best summed up as "lol"

:nsa:

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't think the Intercept or Greenwald have ever been pro-Russia, so much as they think that the threat of the neoconservative bloc and military-industrial complex drumming up another cold war is more dangerous than Putin backing fascist parties across the western world, so they take a contrarian position of extreme skepticism essentially to be devils' advocates. Your mileage may vary on how smart that is.

I just think that Greenwald is personally a massive prick, irrespective of his political leanings. He does good reporting on Brazil tho! :downs:

It's getting kind of hard to differentiate between "devil's advocates" like Greenwald, ideologues like Sy Hersh, grifters like Louise Mensch and probable Russian assets like Assange. Not to say that American Jingoism shouldn't be opposed... it should just be done on factual grounds.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

no, hes LIKE those republicans who claim to be against trump but spend every waking moment attacking any attacks on him such that there is not a meaningful distinction between them and pro-trumpers, just with russia (and, as a consequence, trump)

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Yes, but that requires some basic level of intellectual competence/education. Most leftist movements are fighting uphill because it's so much easier to hate historically-othered enemies than the venerated rich. I'm not opposed to trying though!

I wonder if the Trump Admin all by itself can break enough brains to get a few of these idiots wanting to eat the rich. I mean he's so stupid and bad at this. Some have to lose the faith but since they're still losers they'll need some new scapegoat, and look here strongdaddy turned out to be weakdaddy.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
[quote="“theflyingorc”" post="“475976113”"]
I doubt they’d kill their ability to get further sources as a calculated move. They’ve really hamstrung themselves because nobody is gonna want to leak anything to them
[/quote]

This, and really every other Greenwald post in the last two pages, is what makes Greenwald a useful idiot

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Family Values posted:

Really want a picture of this.

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/903694203586318337

Not quite the described outfit, though I think it may be only the hat.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hellblazer187 posted:

I wonder if the Trump Admin all by itself can break enough brains to get a few of these idiots wanting to eat the rich. I mean he's so stupid and bad at this. Some have to lose the faith but since they're still losers they'll need some new scapegoat, and look here strongdaddy turned out to be weakdaddy.

most of them don't like the rich which is, ironically, how trump was successful: he promised not to run as a pro-rich people republican

but he doesn't actually have any political ideas so he just outsourced his presidency to paul ryan and lo and behold his policies are now pro-rich

most republicans favor higher taxes on the wealthy, it's just the donor class that demands them

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

TVs Ian posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidNir/status/903694203586318337

Not quite the described outfit, though I think it may be only the hat.

He looks like Gabe Newell in colonial garb

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

juicero is dead :smith:

how will we ever get fresh juice now?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Pembroke Fuse posted:

It's getting kind of hard to differentiate between "devil's advocates" like Greenwald, ideologues like Sy Hersh, grifters like Louise Mensch and probable Russian assets like Assange. Not to say that American Jingoism shouldn't be opposed... it should just be done on factual grounds.

I mean, the problem with Greenwald is that he buys into the tankie framing, i.e. using "America is specifically bad" as a starting baseline assumption and then working backwards to prove it, even if it means embracing shitheel human scum like Putin or the North Korean government that happen to position themselves as anti-American. it's essentially a weird variation on team politics instead of anything based on principles or ideology and it makes him come across as super douchey, because well, he's a douche.

Kale
May 14, 2010

"Donald Trump loves people" :thunk:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

the argument the motion makes is that she was not, quote unquote "officially arrested" when she made her statements but the actions the police took made it so that she was de facto arrested, and miranda requirements applied

it's fact intensive and i don't know what her chances of success are but my eyes didn't roll out of my head when i read it and i was sort of expecting it to be bad

Yeah, it's hard to tell what the circumstances were, and I have a feeling the court is going to side with the FBI in a he said she said battle.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Kale posted:

"Donald Trump loves people" :thunk:

Corporations are people my friend

Kale
May 14, 2010

"Wait till Tuesday"

Basically the entirety of this press conference. And now she's being belligerent about people asking for information. Why wouldn't people ask? That's what they're there for, why is she somehow surprised and annoyed by this?

aware of dog posted:

Corporations are people my friend

Ah that old debate.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Good Onion today.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

marshmonkey posted:

Pulled from FB

This is good stuff

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

:vince: Unironically dismantle NYT and transfer its budget to the Onion, it does better reporting.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

juicero is dead :smith:

how will we ever get fresh juice now?

lifeprotip

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Hellblazer187 posted:

Unfortunately people who are looking for a strongdaddy are almost always going to find a new one (blaming the Jews or whatever the fifth column dejure is in the process). Unless you're willing to go all the way to the left and sell them on something crazy like "Stalin murdered more people than Hitler, therefore Stalin is #strongerdaddy". I've seen tankies try this... but honestly I'm not a Stalinist and have no intention of ever being a part of that argument. You'd create something just as bad.

I still thinks it's worthwhile to try to tap into that hatred, loathing and anxiety to try to direct people against the actual orchestrators of their problems. Just don't expect it to look exactly like /pol/ or redpill, simply because leftism requires education about the world and economic/social/political systems instead of the rejection of all facts and the creation of a completely effort-free narrative about how you're always the victim of PoCs.

Javes
May 6, 2012

It's hilarious that they're trying to push this narrative that tax reform is a priority for normal everyday Americans.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

evilweasel posted:

pro-russia trolling comes from rightists and jill stein level 'leftists' it virtually never comes from moderates

Yes, your average centrist probably thinks of Russia as evil commies (rather than the Imperialist bandit state that it is).

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Javes posted:

It's hilarious that they're trying to push this narrative that tax reform is a priority for normal everyday Americans.

She's using "the tax code is unfair" as their metric, which gladly scoops up the left into their column for no reason.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

They elected a new Pope?

E: f;b

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

theflyingorc posted:

Libertarian, just the rare kind that takes civil liberties seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Javes posted:

It's a priority for Republican voters, in the sense that while they might agree in the abstract that "rich people should pay more taxes," they're more likely to buy into the idea that "our current tax rate is fine, we should just close the loopholes." Remember, Republicans live in a perpetual state of "I play by the rules but everyone else cheats," whether it's rich people dodging taxes via loopholes and tax shelters or poor people "cheating welfare." They just happen to zero in on the latter because 'poor people" means "black people" to them.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Libertarian, just the rare kind that takes civil liberties seriously.

No loving way, for real? hahahaha oh my god everything about him makes so much more sense, what a shitheel.

• Locked thread