Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

you do know he drank himself to death right

That’s a normal commoner death, Pick. Like a car crash or autoerotic asphyxiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Salty Josh posted:

What a way to go. The beats of Nine Inch Nails punctuated by a 357 mag gunshot.

cool it, david foster wallace

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Is Hajime Sorayama depressed, arguably the greatest artist ever so that puts a hole in that theory.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pick posted:

A lot of stable people do this

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

david collected, i don't think he made any of it himself?

I'm dumb a dd don't know artists and should Google first. I meant this dood

Ride The Gravitron posted:

rockefeller

Norman rockwell

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I'm dumb a dd don't know artists and should Google first. I meant this dood

heavily commercial artists tend to be waaay more stable : n c wyeth, norman rockwell , leyendecker , etc

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

do you have any idea how rare it is to be reading about famous figures in art history and have them not turn out to have had crippling personality disorders? it's like n c wyeth, and everyone gives him poo poo for making paintings that sold for money

Jim Davis.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Jim Davis.

see post above ^^^

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
And their shits always boring

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pick posted:

.... Still

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

heavily commercial artists tend to be waaay more stable : n c wyeth, norman rockwell , leyendecker , etc

It must be the copious amounts of money, drugs and women/men that keep them sane.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fruit on the bottom posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kinkaide was the most mentally stable artist of all time.

You mean the guy who yelled about Jesus in public but hosed everything with holes in private, screamed at everyone close to him, and CATASTROPHICALLY drunk himself to death while ripping off anyone running his galleries and underpaying foreign labor to mass-produce his "master highlighters" which were just art prints with like little dots of paint different on them?

That guy?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well that seems unfair, to be commercial you gotta be able to fake it so Im just left with the ones in holy orders like hrotsvitha and only christ got to date her

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Midnight Voyager posted:

You mean the guy who yelled about Jesus in public but hosed everything with holes in private, screamed at everyone close to him, and CATASTROPHICALLY drunk himself to death while ripping off anyone running his galleries and underpaying foreign labor to mass-produce his "master highlighters" which were just art prints with like little dots of paint different on them?

That guy?

That’s not unstable. That’s just incredibly American. He was a goddamn patriot.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ lol

We need an artist mock thread

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
You’ve given me no way to back down and save face, you understand. I must defend his honor now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

the ultimate american artist is Kehinde Wiley who has a chinese studio actually do the , you know, painting part of it. you know, the brush poo poo. with the color stuff, onto the cloth part.

such as the, official portrait, of president barack obama

sometimes reality is too good for itself

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

the ultimate american artist is Kehinde Wiley who has a chinese studio actually do the , you know, painting part of it. you know, the brush poo poo. with the color stuff, onto the cloth part.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost
I asked pretty good local artist in the area to paint Jesus for me.

He sighed when he thought I meant the typical halo poo poo. Nah, it was all bout that zombie slayer Jesus with combat sandals.

500 bucks well spent.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Zombie Jesus biting the necks of the money lenders and feasting on their guts, like he did in the Bible.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pick posted:

It's a really nice portrait but lmao. How does that work?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PetraCore posted:

Pretty well for them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Well that seems unfair, to be commercial you gotta be able to fake it so Im just left with the ones in holy orders like hrotsvitha and only christ got to date her

I'm sure you know this, but for the others here, it still makes me lm loving ao that leyendecker defined the "ideal man" of his era, the Arrow Collar man, by just painting his boyfriend over and over.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pick posted:

I'm sure you know this, but for the others here, it still makes me lm loving ao that leyendecker defined the "ideal man" of his era, the Arrow Collar man, by just painting his boyfriend over and over.

Tracing your favorite hot person is the secret to success, from collard shirts to buck rogers to every single renaissance painter

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

It's like paint by numbers. he does essentially the "concept art" version of the painting and then the laborers go in and paint it.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Tracing your favorite hot person is the secret to success, from collard shirts to buck rogers to every single renaissance painter

I think that's called stalking.

It usually results in a restraining order if you're really good at it.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

It wouldn’t surprise me if Kinkaide was the most mentally stable artist of all time.

Thomas Kinkaide's Wikipedia posted:

The Los Angeles Times reported that some of Kinkade's former colleagues, employees, and even collectors of his work said that he had a long history of cursing and heckling other artists and performers. The Times further reported that he openly fondled a woman's breasts at a South Bend, Indiana, sales event, and mentioned his proclivity for ritual territory marking through urination, once relieving himself on a Winnie the Pooh figure at the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim while saying, "This one's for you, Walt."[38][39] In a letter to licensed gallery owners acknowledging he may have behaved badly during a stressful time when he overindulged in food and drink, Kinkade said accounts of the alcohol-related incidents included "exaggerated, and in some cases outright fabricated personal accusations." The letter did not address any incident specifically.[39]

In 2006, John Dandois, Media Arts Group executive, recounted a story that on one occasion six years previously, Kinkade became drunk at a Siegfried & Roy magic show in Las Vegas and began shouting "Codpiece! Codpiece!" at the performers. Eventually he was calmed by his mother.[38] Dandois also said of Kinkade, "Thom would be fine, he would be drinking, and then all of a sudden, you couldn't tell where the boundary was, and then he became very incoherent, and he would start cussing and doing a lot of weird stuff."[38] In June 2010, Kinkade was arrested in Carmel, California, for driving while under the influence of alcohol. He was later convicted.[20][40][41]

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

it WAS American as hell. He literally drunk himself blind, exploited foreign labor, yelled about Jesus, and mistreated women and everything!

He called pissing in public "marking his territory" and did it more than once even

My SO [25M] wants me [25F] to wear a bra

quote:

So, like the title says my boyfriend doesn’t like that I don’t wear bras. I typically don’t wear bras when I’m dressing casually. My breasts are very small, fluctuates between an A and a small B. Basically, I don’t feel I need a bra. Additionally, I just hate them, and find them uncomfortable, especially in the dead heat of the summer (we live in the south US).

Sometimes I will wear a shirt and my nipples will become apparent, especially with a change in temperature or if the shirt is a little thinner (not see through, just not thick cotton). I don’t really care about this at all. I’ve seen men’s nipple through their shirts. Don’t care if anyone sees mine, don’t care if people are offended or turned on. Whenever I see another girls nipple through her shirt I basically just think “more power to you girl” mostly because I don’t think the sexualization of the nipple should persist. However my boyfriend really does care. He essentially doesn’t want other people (certainly men) to become aware that I have breasts/am not wearing a bra and doesn’t want other people thinking of me in a sexual way.

I told him that will happen even if I go out in public in a burlap sac.

I’ve basically been adamant that I’ll do whatever I want and wear whatever. I don’t think it’s unreasonable and it’s not like I’m rocking up to his grandma’s funeral with my nipples out inappropriately.

Am I in the wrong?

TL;DR: boyfriend wants me to wear a bra when we go out in public because he doesn’t want other men noticing my lack of bra.

quote:

This EXACT same situation happened to me with my ex! He was so afraid someone would see me nip. So I got him a cup, like from baseball, and told him he had to wear it every time we went out because I didn’t want anyone to get a glimpse of his dick print. He put it on once and never mentioned my nips again.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 9, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

poor edie sedgwick :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Cup guard woman is smart but also you should have dumped your idiot boyfriend there

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pick posted:

It's like paint by numbers. he does essentially the "concept art" version of the painting and then the laborers go in and paint it.
That's so dumb, it's a cool concept but if the laborers are painting it they should get more credit than I've heard about.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Voyager posted:

My SO [25M] wants me [25F] to wear a bra

:thurman:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

That's so dumb, it's a cool concept but if the laborers are painting it they should get more credit than I've heard about.

the art world doesn't really want to talk about it much because sssshhhh it's sort of an open secret since ye olde days that a lot of hacks still have their assistants do a lot of the work

a lot of them don't! but a lot of them do. you know, you see it in music too, like who writes their own stuff and who hires Max Martin

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

People don' t remember the framers or subcontractors. They only remember the Architect or Engineer. Same concept I guess.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Salty Josh posted:

People don' t remember the framers or subcontractors. They only remember the Architect or Engineer. Same concept I guess.
People only remember the subcontractors when the bridge falls down.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

PetraCore posted:

Gottem.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My [24 M] mom [58 F] has an obsession with laundry, because of that I can never take a shower

quote:

I grew up in a poor family, both my parents stopped working when i was around 10. My mom is sick, and my dad had some skin issues in which he couldnt work anymore. They got into a HUGE debt. We struggled. My half-brother left home when he was 18. Came back a few times but he was to poor to help us and I understood that. But living was ok. Because they showed me love. We were really close.

When I got older they never learned me stuff, like how important money is, or to work for your money. And don't get me started on personal hygene. Sometimes I didn't shower for like 1,5 week. Because if i wanted to i recieved snarky comments about how 'nobody showers everyday' and 'that it's a waste of water' and 'Why'. So i got bullied a lot because of that. They became depressed. My mom had a obsession with cleaning the house and the loving laundry. Like everyday everything had to be clean. My dad became a snob, he slept in everyday. Did not enjoy life. I was 17 when I became like him. I saw no future. Found my way through it all and found a study to enjoy and picked up my life. I never worked because if I every had money, doesn't matter if i recieved it or not it would go to my parents. I was afraid, and because it was just easy living. And that is my fault, i shouldve looked for a job or be more outgoing.When I got dumped by my ex I started to work on myself. Lost a lot of weight, went to the gym everyday, but since I could not shower after that I would sometimes skip school. It was that worse.

Few years later, and I was sharing my bank account with them. If i had money they could take it. Because I was reasonable, I lived there so I had to pay for it. If i didn't they would guilt trip me to oblivion.

Fast forward a bit now. I just turned 24, got a job, and still living at home but searching for a place to rent, but it's hard. My girlfriend and I got into some issues (Unexpected pregnancy and a miscarrage) They didn't even show emotion when that happend. Not even happy or sad or angry just, 'Oh ok, the baby can't live here you know that right???'.

They still complain about showering, my mom even has a tactic to make sure that I can't shower, and she did this for years. Its the laundry, since we have a small house, the washer and dryer are in the bathroom, when the washmachine is done she hangs the clothes in the bathroom, so that I can't shower. My dad even made a extansion of our house with wood and a roof so that she could dry her clothes there years ago, she never uses it anymore. If I try to reason with her, like asking, she goes into a rage; 'MAH LAUNDRY!!! IT'S NOT DRY YET!!!'. It's pissing me off, like for real. She has so much laundry for someone who doesn't even go outside.

Yesterday was the straw that broke the camel's back. I came home from work with my girlfriend. Both smelling like poo poo. She just had her first day at a new job. We came inside and food was ready. My mom was going to a hairdresser so they already had dinner. I go and sit down and the first thing that my mom says is: 'You can't shower tonight, my laundry is not dry yet'. (I hear this like everyday) I told her that it was a nice day today, sun was shining so I asked: 'why not hang it outside?' She told me that they said on the TV that it was gonna rain. I loving snapped. She is ALWAYS home, when you see rain just bring it inside again?

I went on a rage mode about everything that was bothering me. I was yelling at the top of my lungs. She tried to guilt trip me but I didn't care. She said that the reason why I was like this was because of my girlfriend. Yes, she made me open my eyes more. Then she yelled that I should go and make my GF moms my real mom. I laughed. I finally have the guts to stand up against this bullshit.

Few month ago we had the same fight about the same thing. After that I asked my brother if she did the same to him and suprise suprise she did. He even told me that it became worse when he was into a relationship. She denied it, i laughed. Told her she was 60 but acts like a child. Like what is the problem if I hang the laundry in the living room for 5 loving minutes.

Im loving ashamed to even talk about this. I know I'm not the best son in the world. I have my own issues. But I try to reason. They have no money, I try to support them. I try to let them be involved with my life, but they don't loving care. My dad can't be arsed about this, he keeps himself neutral. But deep down he know that i'm right, he told me that before. But if he says that he will recieve a tantrum the whole week.

But I don't know how to handle this. Trying to move out asap, but it's hard. Im sad because my home doesn't feel like home anymore for a long time now.

PS; english is not my first language sorry.

Old submission was deleted. Post it again.

Edit: Will be going home soon, let's see what she is gonna say. Atleast I'm gonna take a shower no matter what.

TL;DR: Mom is obsessed with the bathroom and laundry. Doesn't let me shower. I snapped because I feel like they treat me unfair and they don't try to reason with me.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

PetraCore posted:

Well the architect isn't the one who built it...

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

Well the architect isn't the one who built it...

Honestly, I think it was a contractor problem.

Oh well. Bridges fall down sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice