Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Couple of first questions:

Speedo needle shakes - is this common/typical?

Whole car shakes a little between about 60 and low 70s MPH - gone on either end of that range. Alignment or?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

1. Replace the speedo cable. Common.

2. 65 mph shimmy is also common. (hunter) Roadforce balance your tires. Search "65 mph shimmy" if you want to find out more.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My speedo needle shakes, and I was like 'hmm what could that be' until the telltale WHACKWHACKWHACKWHACKWHACK of speedo cable noise kicked in for the entire 3 hour drive home from buying it.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wouldn't bother replacing the speedometer cable unless if it was making noise.

Pro tip: do a few autocrosses and sign up for Mazdaspeed.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Hog Obituary posted:

Oh, I was wrong, turns out '97 had a "touring package" option
http://miata.net/faq/Miata90-97A3.pdf

leica - no idea how you got a VLSD though unless somebody swapped it in?

Well all I know is it doesn't feel like a torsen but I have traction to both wheels so I figured it must be a viscous.

My options are weird too though, I have a OEM CD player which only comes with an M edition or STO, and headrest speakers with no cruise.....So maybe mine was special ordered? Was that even possible? I don't know.

[edit] Isn't there a number to call Mazda with a vin# and they send you an option list for your car?

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 5, 2014

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

Well all I know is it doesn't feel like a torsen but I have traction to both wheels so I figured it must be a viscous.

My options are weird too though, I have a OEM CD player which only comes with an M edition or STO, and headrest speakers with no cruise.....So maybe mine was special ordered? Was that even possible? I don't know.

[edit] Isn't there a number to call Mazda with a vin# and they send you an option list for your car?

1 800 222 5500

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Just remember to shift at about 3500 and you'll enjoy driving it that much more.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iv46vi posted:

Just remember to shift at about 3500 and you'll enjoy driving it that much more.

That's a funny way to spell redline.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

iv46vi posted:

Why on earth would you shift there?

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

TrueChaos posted:

Why on earth would you shift there?

I'll be a boring goon and tell you exactly why. Most people buying a first Miata tend to shift at a usual place for most cars, so about 2k. Since those engines got not very much going on there, people tend to be a little disappointed. If you got other suggestions, by all means.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

iv46vi posted:

I'll be a boring goon and tell you exactly why. Most people buying a first Miata tend to shift at a usual place for most cars, so about 2k. Since those engines got not very much going on there, people tend to be a little disappointed. If you got other suggestions, by all means.

He's suggesting you're shifting way too early if you're shifting at 3500.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

iv46vi posted:

Nobody is shifting a Miata at 2k because it bogs down like loving crazy at 2k.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah you gotta wring 'em out to have fun, especially the 1.6 Miatas.

I haven't been doing it to mine for awhile cuz I have a water pump leak and I'm afraid I'll pop it wide open if I push it like I normally do :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iv46vi posted:

I used to shift my old beater Subaru at fuel cut, and I'm still disappointed by the 1.6. I keep the 1.8 at 4k or above basically all the time and it's nice and fun, although it's roughly sodomizing my wallet whenever I drop in for another chance to spill fuel on it at the gas station.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah, the open loop starts at 4k, and you can really tell at the pump.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I used to shift my old beater Subaru at fuel cut, and I'm still disappointed by the 1.6. I keep the 1.8 at 4k or above basically all the time and it's nice and fun, although it's roughly sodomizing my wallet whenever I drop in for another chance to spill fuel on it at the gas station.

You might want to check it out because I beat the poo poo out of mine and still get at least 20mpg.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I just got the car so I'm slowly working my way through maintenance stuff. I have a suspicion that something's gone out on it since I'll get a high idle once the car gets warm.

I found an old bottle of Seafoam this afternoon while cleaning out the storage room so I might puke that down the PCV next time I do an oil change.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Yeah, the open loop starts at 4k, and you can really tell at the pump.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Rollbars - everyone seems to be rolling Hard Dog; are they substantially better than everything else? If so, what's the cheapest/best place to buy? I don't want to cut corners on the quality of the product, but I would like to get it at the best price possible while knowing its the genuine article and not a knockoff.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you looking at tracking it? If not, I'd advise against putting in a rollbar.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Unless you're going to race it I wouldn't bother with one. Otherwise try to find a used one locally because you're going to pay out the rear end for a new one plus shipping.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
It took blk a long time to find a car. I'd drive it for a while close to stock before starting to cut up the interior bits and put mounting holes through the body.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If you're looking to stiffen up the chassis there are better ways to do it. Rollbars for mostly street driven cars cause more problems than they solve.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Purely for safety, not for stiffening things up. Wife really wants me to get one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
OR COLLECT LIFE INSURANCE!?!?

It's less likely that you'll wind up shiny side down than you cracking your skull in a 10mph fender bender.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

You're safer without one on the street honestly. The Miata's windshield frame is perfectly capable of preventing you from being squashed should the .000001% chance of you flipping happens.

You don't need a rollbar.

[edit] never mind the fact that they make putting the top up and down a pain in the rear end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Missed a very clean 1990 for $1000 by an hour today. Dude missed my texts and finally responded with "it just drove away, sorry dude."

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

leica posted:

If you're looking to stiffen up the chassis there are better ways to do it. Rollbars for mostly street driven cars cause more problems than they solve.

What problems do you mean? The only complaints I have are rearview visibility is slightly reduced, you can't one-hand the top, and installing the side nuts on the new top was a goddamn torturous experience.

EDIT: I should also add that the rollbar is literally dead center on the back of my head when I sit up properly, but I really shouldn't be driving a Miata with stock seats anyway. I need to go buy padding.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 5, 2014

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Beach Bum posted:

What problems do you mean? The only complaints I have are rearview visibility is slightly reduced, you can't one-hand the top, and installing the side nuts on the new top was a goddamn torturous experience.

EDIT: I should also add that the rollbar is literally dead center on the back of my head when I sit up properly, but I really shouldn't be driving a Miata with stock seats anyway. I need to go buy padding.

You have the option to crack your skull on the bar in any minor accident, which is sort of a big deal

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

blk posted:

Purely for safety, not for stiffening things up. Wife really wants me to get one.

Skull cracking, etc.

You can get non-racing bars that are usually the double-hump style that may help in a rollover, maybe. You won't hit your head on those. I, however, have a hard top sized Boss Frog Clear view and have no real complaints. Being 5'7" helps though I suppose.

Joe Mama fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 5, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Beach Bum posted:

You're adding a piece of tubular steel next to your head that doesn't really NEED to be there. You're creating another way to potentially risk cracking your skull and turning into a vegetable in an accident.

also:

leica posted:

never mind the fact that they make putting the top up and down a pain in the rear end.

And as someone that is constantly putting the top up and down, I wouldn't use one for that reason alone.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 5, 2014

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Joe Mama posted:

You can get non-racing bars that are usually the double-hump style that may help in a rollover, maybe. You won't hit your head on those. I, however, have a hard top sized Boss Frog Clear view and have no real complaints. Being 5'7" helps though I suppose.

If you are talking about the style bars, those don't help at all and are actually worse

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yeah, think of those things as a mouse trap waiting to collapse on you.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Nodoze posted:

You have the option to crack your skull on the bar in any minor accident, which is sort of a big deal

This. I don't have any padding on my bar, but with a bucket seat it's no longer possible for my head to hit the bar. I should do something about the passenger side though.

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game
Have any you ever seen or heard of a specific case of someone hitting their head on a roll bar in a Miata? It does seem more likely than a rollover, but I've seen several pics of rolled Miatas and zero reports of head injuries from minor collisions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I saw one on Mazdaroadster within the past week or two. I think he gave himself a concussion.

I can do some example finding once I get home if you really want it.

E: btw, rollbar padding is designed to not crack your helmet on the rollbar, not your head

Konrad
Jul 17, 2002

Every stop I get to I'm clocking that game

Phone posted:

I saw one on Mazdaroadster within the past week or two. I think he gave himself a concussion.

I can do some example finding once I get home if you really want it.

E: btw, rollbar padding is designed to not crack your helmet on the rollbar, not your head

I'll take your word for it. I was just looking to see if there was any anecdotal evidence because I'd never heard of it actually happening.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I cracked my head pretty good in the '97. The high-density stuff probably saved my rear end from anything serious.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Getting a high fixed back seat like a sparco sprint really goes a long way to making you feel better about having a rollbar.

This picture isnt perfect (i made it to show off deleting my softtop) but you sit so low in them and there is so little gap i dont feel worried about the bar at all. My passenger is of course, screwed.

edit: oops table breaking sorry, edited.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 5, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
Dual durometer padding or the Orange Aid stuff is another option.