Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

For those of you who get to play with databases, how'd you get your start or your experience in them?

I applied for a jr dev position on an implementation of an open source online game server. It uses SQL for various important things and I mentioned during the "interview" that I was familiar with it. They asked me to describe some simple joins and then I got a "SQL" flag in our ticketing system and occasionally I was assigned features/changes that had to deal with the SQL back end.

Would recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

So, what about the people that aren't developers?

This is almost exactly what I'm planning for. We have engineers out the wazoo but we'll be picking up a lot of marketing / HR folks in the near future, and the ones we already have I wouldn't trust with a TV remote let alone a brand new laptop. This is also just training for myself - I have no idea where this company is gonna be in two or three years, so the more job skills I can start to develop, the better.

i'm working on a proposal for my boss to let me set this stuff up. I'll be spinning up a Windows Server VM with MDT 2013 in our Google Dev cloud, and purchasing a Mac mini along with OS X Server so I can administrate either operating system. There are four of us in the company that use Linux (myself included), and any new engineers who want to use that will probably know enough to get set up on their own. It's a little scary because literally nobody has done anything like this at the company yet. We don't even have a working inventory of our IT resources yet.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

WDS/MDT is the way to go with that many workstations. You can throw the image together in an afternoon; gathering up all the necessary drivers will be the part that takes a little while depending on your machine spread.

Each of the System Center components is a beast unto itself, especially SCCM and SCOM. Don't try and do things all at once, like others have mentioned. In the Small Shop thread someone mentioned PDQ Deploy and Inventory to me, so if you only have 40 to 96 machines I'd go that route rather than System Center. They're quite good.

Chiming in on this SCCM is super powerful but probably the most "Microsoft" management tool I've ever used as in it's obtuse as gently caress and harder to use than any 3rd party solution that does similar tasks.

I'm at the point where I think Microsoft keeps tools like this entirely to sell certs and classes because uuuunnnggghhh learning it from scratch is just awful.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Rhymenoserous posted:

Chiming in on this SCCM is super powerful but probably the most "Microsoft" management tool I've ever used as in it's obtuse as gently caress and harder to use than any 3rd party solution that does similar tasks.

I'm at the point where I think Microsoft keeps tools like this entirely to sell certs and classes because uuuunnnggghhh learning it from scratch is just awful.

The sheer amount of undocumented information and details on deployment behavior is mind boggling. You'll get much more how-to knowledge out of blogs and forums than you ever will from the SCCM MCSE course.

On a sidenote, if anyone has a good online resource detailing Orchestrator that would be great. SCCM may be bullshit in its own special snowflake way but at least it gave SOME indication of how to get the ball rolling.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 11, 2015

vibur
Apr 23, 2004

Roargasm posted:

So I'm interviewing at a large software company and they just got back to me telling me it's myself or one other person for the job - but they want my current salary first. They already have my number for what I want ($75K). Is it normal to not only get my current comp but also make a decision based of it? This is the first and only red flag I've seen so far, seems like a great company to work for and I really want the offer :ohdear: Currently at $61K with great benefits
"I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to disclose that information."

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Roargasm posted:

So I'm interviewing at a large software company and they just got back to me telling me it's myself or one other person for the job - but they want my current salary first. They already have my number for what I want ($75K). Is it normal to not only get my current comp but also make a decision based of it? This is the first and only red flag I've seen so far, seems like a great company to work for and I really want the offer :ohdear: Currently at $61K with great benefits

Be polite but be direct and firm. What you currently make is none of their business.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

So I've moved to a new position, baby's first system admin. We use office 365 here. Is this the thread where I would ask if the way we're doing things is fuct or is it legit? Or is there another thread for that sort of thing?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Coredump posted:

So I've moved to a new position, baby's first system admin. We use office 365 here. Is this the thread where I would ask if the way we're doing things is fuct or is it legit? Or is there another thread for that sort of thing?

In theory I think this thread is more general career advice. There's a dedicated Windows thread where you might have better luck with specific O365 questions. But honestly all of the IT threads spill over into each other all the time anyway so it doesn't matter too much!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Roargasm posted:

Nope.

They're trying to see how far they can lowball you on what you want. If you offered up $75K number first when they asked what you are expecting, you've already potentially left money on the table. Don't leave any more.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I like MC Fruit Stripe's answer. Write on a napkin "I will not disclose my salary" and then sign it, and then when anybody asks you can honestly and truthfully say you've signed an agreement that you can't disclose your current salary.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I just retired a DL360 G3 today, built circa 2003. :angel: I wish I could say it's the last one, but there are a couple more I know about that are that old still up and running.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

flosofl posted:

Nope.

They're trying to see how far they can lowball you on what you want. If you offered up $75K number first when they asked what you are expecting, you've already potentially left money on the table. Don't leave any more.

This. 2 years ago when I applied to this job I asked for a 50% raise (I was making ~40k asked for 60) They immediately offered me the position at what I asked letting me know that I should have asked for more. Probably an expensive lesson.

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

vibur posted:

"I'm sorry but I'm not allowed to disclose that information."

This is a good way to deflect that question. Say it's covered by an NDA.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spudalicious posted:

This. 2 years ago when I applied to this job I asked for a 50% raise (I was making ~40k asked for 60) They immediately offered me the position at what I asked letting me know that I should have asked for more. Probably an expensive lesson.

They're loving assholes if they actually told you you should have asked for more.

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Inspector_666 posted:

They're loving assholes if they actually told you you should have asked for more.

Sorry that was unclear. The fact that they readily agreed to my asking price was what told me that I should have asked for more. I feel like if I had asked for the correct amount they would have countered at a lower amount.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
When a potential employer asks for your current salary, what's the worst that could happen?

Based on some comments earlier in this thread, if the potential employer is Robert Half, they might use that salary data to try and convince your current employer that they can fill your position for less money.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Roargasm posted:

Can you please not disclose your current compensation?

Now you can honestly say you've been asked not to disclose your current compensation, and leave it at that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Or you know, just tell them you won't be discussing your salary history instead of going through all these verbal gymnastics and technicalities.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
Or lie and say you're currently at $large number. You have no obligation to be honest in a salary negotiation. This has worked out well for me once or twice when they push.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Thanks guys. I would never give out my current salary at the beginning of the negotiation but I've already finished all of the interviews and was waiting on a potential offer, which I really want, so I'm feeling the pressure. Now they're asking for my mediocre college GPA, which they already have. I'm going to get on the phone with their HR after work today, but I feel like I'm getting dogged. Will not be accepting a lowball unless it's the number I gave them, though

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When a potential employer asks for your current salary, what's the worst that could happen?

Based on some comments earlier in this thread, if the potential employer is Robert Half, they might use that salary data to try and convince your current employer that they can fill your position for less money.

I am willing to give my current salary to people, but I never tell them before I find out what the range for the position is and tell them how much I want. I'm still at the low-end of the totem pole, though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KS posted:

Or lie and say you're currently at $large number. You have no obligation to be honest in a salary negotiation. This has worked out well for me once or twice when they push.

You don't even have to necessarily lie. Compensation should be looked at as a total package.

I have excellent benefits with a low deductible PPO and over 4 weeks PTO at my current job, that's all worth serious $$$$ to me.

I have my base cash salary, but I also earn an annual cash bonus. I've received stock options in the past that have all turned into additional cash, and then I have certain non cash compensation perks like they pay for my cell phone which is worth a 100/mo to me.

I can put a very large cash number together when I take everything into account and compare it to a job offer.

In the little recent experience I have interviewing though the phrases "I'm looking for a salary in line with the going rate in the current local market" and "I like to take a look at the overall compensation package when considering cash compensation requirements" have worked ok for me.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Che Delilas posted:

Or you know, just tell them you won't be discussing your salary history instead of going through all these verbal gymnastics and technicalities.

But that's too confrontational for most goons.

KS posted:

It's better to say that your current salary doesn't matter, and that you're expecting ${whatever_rate} for their position, because that's the market rate.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

I am willing to give my current salary to people, but I never tell them before I find out what the range for the position is and tell them how much I want. I'm still at the low-end of the totem pole, though.

There's a danger in that as well. If the number you're currently making is lower than what they'd expect a person with your experience to be making, that can bias them toward thinking you're either padding your resume, or an under-performer. I'm not saying it's common, but between that and negotiating yourself into a lower salary, I've never seen an upside to revealing it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Coredump posted:

The Exchange thread covers the email part of Office 365 as well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

skipdogg posted:

I just retired a DL360 G3 today, built circa 2003. :angel: I wish I could say it's the last one, but there are a couple more I know about that are that old still up and running.

Still in production. Install date on the WINNT folder is 11/12/2002. :patriot:

And don't worry, it'll be gone very, very soon. I had a whole lot of things to un-gently caress at this sister company when I took over, and this has been the least of my worries.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 11, 2015

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
It's easy to sit at a distance and be cavalier about not disclosing your salary and I get the hesitation to do it. It really isn't something they need to or should ask in an ideal scenario.

BUT... He's in a competitive situation and it sounds like it's a job he really wants so it needs to be approached carefully. If you feel like that NDA thing would fly that's idea, otherwise I might think about inflating it a bit and saying you have great benefits provided you're in a location where they can't verify salary. Somewhere between 10-20% is normal for a job hop, and you're slightly over that so it might make sense.

Good luck!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I'd just say my current employment contract forbids me from discussing that, and trust that I'd honor my new employment contract just as well.

It's the same poo poo I do whenever someone asks me to just quit my current job and come over with no notice.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I'd stay away from lying. The new company might ask your references or old employer to disclose your former salary or at least a ballpark number. Or even ask you to turn over your most recent W2/1099 as part of their final background check, although I'd consider that a huge red flag that they're probably awful to work for.

Many companies don't go to the :effort:. But if they really want to find out whether you massively inflated your salary history, they probably can. And if they find you've lied hilariously that could be grounds to revoke the offer or fire you.

Just being up front that you are not willing or able to discuss it seems like the best approach.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Docjowles posted:

I'd stay away from lying. The new company might ask your references or old employer to disclose your former salary or at least a ballpark number.

I can't imagine any companies disclosing salary information unless they shared the same union and were sharing the candidate's previous position and wage scale under the collective bargaining agreement.

I also don't really understand the trepidation for saying "I'm not comfortable disclosing that information". I guess I can sympathize with the feeling that the job offer might hinge on compliance, but it's something I would be willing to take a stand on.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mewse posted:

I also don't really understand the trepidation for saying "I'm not comfortable disclosing that information". I guess I can sympathize with the feeling that the job offer might hinge on compliance, but it's something I would be willing to take a stand on.

I always lead with saying I would rather not give it out, but it's always met with "We will need it at some point along the process." I will never give it out without at least a good idea of what they are offering, but I'm not gonna sandbag myself out of a job over it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

skipdogg posted:

No G3s, but we have at least two DL380 G4 still in production. :suicide:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

I always lead with saying I would rather not give it out, but it's always met with "We will need it at some point along the process." I will never give it out without at least a good idea of what they are offering, but I'm not gonna sandbag myself out of a job over it.

I've never been forced into it. I just say that I've been asked not to disclose that information to third parties, and that's that. Some people try to poke a little harder, but I never got the feeling that I was hurting my job chances, probably because I frame it as a matter of respect for my current company.

e: Today was my coworker's last day (in another office). No wonder he didn't answer a single question that I sent him, or take the high-priority ticket I was trying to hand off to somebody.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 11, 2015

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
Don't disclose your salary to anybody. That also includes guys on your team who want to shoot the breeze and compare notes. It can do nothing but cause you grief.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Still in production. Install date on the WINNT folder is 11/12/2002. :patriot:

And don't worry, it'll be gone very, very soon. I had a whole lot of things to un-gently caress at this sister company when I took over, and this has been the least of my worries.

I have an NT4 box originally built in 1999, rebuilt November 11, 2003, in production, serving up a production copy of Lotus Notes.

It's been 'exempted' from the upgrade / decom process due to 'extenuating circumstances'. I don't know what those circumstances are, but I don't like 'em.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mewse posted:

I can't imagine any companies disclosing salary information unless they shared the same union and were sharing the candidate's previous position and wage scale under the collective bargaining agreement.

My point is more that it could happen than that it will. And just in general I think "lie your rear end off" is almost always bad advice even if it works :angel:

I'm with you that just straight up saying no is the best course of action if you are comfortable doing it and feel like you have the leverage to pull it off.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I don't usually have a problem disclosing my previous salary if I've already listed a hard salary requirement. I just make it clear that the requirement is a requirement and they can gently caress right off (in gentler words) if they have no intention of playing ball. Things are different if I'm refusing to name a number first.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Yeah if they ask for a salary requirement and interview you afterwards, I don't see a problem giving your current salary. They've already indicated they'll meet your requirement, and if they try to undercut your requirement based on your current salary then money is going to be an uphill battle the entire employment. Feel free to take it as a red flag.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mewse posted:

Not only are there companies that disclose salary information for former employees there are services that will handle it for them:

http://www.talx.com/Solutions/Compliance/Verifications/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhoNeedsAName
Nov 30, 2013

Collateral Damage posted:

No G3s, but we have at least two DL380 G4 still in production. :suicide:

The company that I work for has 10 G4s still in production and 2 in dev.