Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

pulsor93 posted:

So, maybe I'm sounding like an idiot and am missing something obvious, but did anyone try resurrecting as many of the corpses as possible before starting the fight and then have them zerg rush Emil/throw them at Emil to use as human - er, android shields?

You can only have one at a time and it will almost certain get one-shot within seconds of the fight beginning. They're worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I remember trying this at like level 60 and lasting maybe one second before a projectile one-shot me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I remember trying this at like level 60 and lasting maybe one second before a projectile one-shot me

As opposed to trying it at level 6O and lasting maybe five seconds before it turns into a friendly conversation about flowers.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I did this fight at 82 and used a holy poo poo amount of healing items. I won tho, somehow

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
So if I'm reading that last weapon story correctly...

The original Emil created a lot of clones, and then vanished a long time ago.

The clones don't age, but can die of violence. So it's possible that IS an Emil Head you're wearing.

:yokotaro:

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Add one more thing to the pile of things I'm glad I missed when I played this game!

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

This is a different kind of "gently caress you, completionists" than I was expecting.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

DRAKENGARD!
:smith:
Maybe my hate-on for 9S makes a little more sense now, eh?

Not really? It's an optional sidequest that the player chooses to do for basically no other reason than being a completionist. Pinning that on 9S is silly.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
To be fair, the game makes God drat sure you, the player, know what you are doing at every step. You have to:
* find the place to begin with
* ignore your pod calling you a thief and confirm you do want to take his stuff
* go talk to him AND HEAR HIM poo poo TALK YOU FOR THEFT and talk about locking his stuff up to be safe
* decide that after all of this you want to go rob a head in a shack one last time for whatever the hell he has lying around, despite the forest of corpses right outside on every visit making it real clear what will happen.

That ain't on 9S by any means, which is why the consequences don't affect the character. They're meant to gently caress with you, you rear end in a top hat.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

To be fair, the game makes God drat sure you, the player, know what you are doing at every step. You have to:
* go talk to him AND HEAR HIM poo poo TALK YOU FOR THEFT and talk about locking his stuff up to be safe
* decide that after all of this you want to go rob a head in a shack one last time for whatever the hell he has lying around, despite the forest of corpses right outside on every visit making it real clear what will happen.

That ain't on 9S by any means, which is why the consequences don't affect the character. They're meant to gently caress with you, you rear end in a top hat.

And thanks to the achievement store, you can't even say you did it for a cheevo. It's all on you. All of it.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

chiasaur11 posted:

And thanks to the achievement store, you can't even say you did it for a cheevo. It's all on you. All of it.

:yokotaro:

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I'm happy with the Emil we got, but I do like Top Hat Train Emil and Dying Ghost of Christmas Present Emil. I suppose with the existing Emil lore, it's entirely possible those two are running around some other part of the world.

The Dark Id posted:

Everyone once in a while Emil’s car will run out of steam

Anyway, other the optic blast, that’s about it to the Emil boss fight.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I've gotta say, Yoko Taro has really been honing his craft when it comes to loving with completionists. Long gone are the simple days of spawning a chest on the other side of the map, or just having some flower growing minigame with obscure mechanics. Now he just punches you in the gut.

skylarkfreedom
May 23, 2009

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

I've gotta say, Yoko Taro has really been honing his craft when it comes to loving with completionists. Long gone are the simple days of spawning a chest on the other side of the map, or just having some flower growing minigame with obscure mechanics. Now he just punches you in the gut.
More like he gives you the option to punch yourself in the gut and wonders why you keep hitting yourself.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

skylarkfreedom posted:

More like he gives you the option to punch yourself in the gut and wonders why you keep hitting yourself.

Because my gut is there.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

END ME SCOOB posted:

the forest of corpses really does make it

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

skylarkfreedom posted:

The greatest punishments are the ones you inflict on yourself.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Is there a separate achievement for getting 100%, and for thieving from Emil?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

painedforever posted:

You can't get 100% without stealing from him because of the weapon. And enemy data I think?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

skylarkfreedom posted:

so we can blame a video game character for being accessory to hitting ourselves

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So hey, I just mainlined this entire LP in... About three days? My brain hurts now. Thanks for doing this, man.

For the lack of anything more productive to say, I'll add that the best song is is whatever one you heard the most recently, but specifically it's The Tower, wait no it's Possessed by a Disease, poo poo, they're both real good. Like I love The Tower as an atmospheric track, but Nakagawa Nami's loving range in Possessed by a Disease is absolutely bonkers.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Qrr posted:

You can't get 100% without stealing from him because of the weapon. And enemy data I think?

Does Emil give enemy data?

Mad Surge
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

Does Emil give enemy data?

Yes. And for the record, all the percentage based achievements just ask for 80% completion of certain indexes; 100%ing something does nothing but be a round number, so yeah, it's there to once again gently caress with compulsive completionists!

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think I'll just buy the "you the player are an horrible monster" achievement if and when I come back to get Automata's platinum.

Christ Emil :smith:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

painedforever posted:

you can't get 100% of the endings and side quests without stealing from Emil

although 100% of the endings is an achievement

Omobono posted:

I think I'll just buy the "you the player are an horrible monster" achievement if and when I come back to get Automata's platinum.

Christ Emil :smith:

sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind

Kase moch
Jun 5, 2012

Gentlemen prefer blondes
Screwing with completionists is all well and good, but at some point it hampers the player's enjoyment of the game. Knowing at least some sidequests would simply punish me for trying them made me skip any that seemed overly difficult, and led to missing a fair bit of content that would've fleshed out the story a little. Would've been nice for the game to have indicated "doing this sidequest gives a reward" and "doing this sidequest is for idiots whom the developer hates".

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Kase moch posted:

Screwing with completionists is all well and good, but at some point it hampers the player's enjoyment of the game.

Yes I think that's the point. He doesn't want you to enjoy it, and he doesn't want you to be able to tell which kind of quest this is in advance.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Kase moch posted:

Screwing with completionists is all well and good, but at some point it hampers the player's enjoyment of the game. Knowing at least some sidequests would simply punish me for trying them made me skip any that seemed overly difficult, and led to missing a fair bit of content that would've fleshed out the story a little. Would've been nice for the game to have indicated "doing this sidequest gives a reward" and "doing this sidequest is for idiots whom the developer hates".
This is really the only sidequest that actively punches the player, though. Most of them may have tragic outcomes at times, but it's rare that it would literally be better if you never get involved.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I am looking forward to the next update if it is what I think it will be.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jetrauben posted:

This is really the only sidequest that actively punches the player, though. Most of them may have tragic outcomes at times, but it's rare that it would literally be better if you never get involved.

There's a few that I would've liked a suggested level or something, like the clown parade or the one with the blood-stained robot in the desert. You can get them on a first playthrough but should really be done on route B, so it'd be nice to have a heads up rather than getting to the end and bashing your face in. Or the Jean-Paul ****-face one, it's waaaaay better to get fast travel first.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Mazerunner posted:

There's a few that I would've liked a suggested level or something, like the clown parade or the one with the blood-stained robot in the desert. You can get them on a first playthrough but should really be done on route B, so it'd be nice to have a heads up rather than getting to the end and bashing your face in. Or the Jean-Paul ****-face one, it's waaaaay better to get fast travel first.

Or loving SPEED STAR.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Emil deserved it. Retribution for the Aerie. :colbert:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

...! posted:

Also being in an adventuring party should have made him well aware the risks of leaving boxes out in the open.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ratoslov posted:

Or loving SPEED STAR.

Speed Star has nothing to do with levels or fast-travel, you don't even need chips for it, they just help.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.

...! posted:

But everyone in the Aerie save for that one shopkeeper in Kaine's backstory who was probably dead by that point was an rear end in a top hat. Emil Did Nothing Wrong.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Hunt11 posted:

Also being in an adventuring party should have made him well aware the risks of leaving boxes out in the open.

But this Emil isn't the same one from original Nier.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I only beat Emil by lowering the difficulty to easy.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Andyzero posted:

But this Emil isn't the same one from original Nier.

But he has his memories.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

...! posted:

But he has his memories.

Only in the sense that you also have his memories.

• Locked thread