Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Razputeen posted:

i am pretty sure it is clear to everyone that whatever else is true i am, in fact, criticizing you. this may be difficult but please note that you are feeling the emotion you feel when your print copy of tv guide says there is a show about trains on, but there is not

No, you're flailing like the smoothbrain you are because it was pointed out by multiple people that your belief in Hersh's poo poo and other known wrong stuff makes you look like a clown. And once again, the hilariously sad fact that you went and registered a whole new account to dodge a probation within 30 minutes. Take your pills, Tezzor.

Didn't he do this before the referendum he held too, or was that less explicit in the original Turkish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

so ban the opposition. great

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

fishmech posted:

No, you're flailing like the smoothbrain you are because it was pointed out by multiple people that your belief in Hersh's poo poo and other known wrong stuff makes you look like a clown. And once again, the hilariously sad fact that you went and registered a whole new account to dodge a probation within 30 minutes. Take your pills, Tezzor.

Didn't he do this before the referendum he held too, or was that less explicit in the original Turkish?

i definitely agree that it is hilariously sad that i get banned for irritating the likes of you but i suspect we think this is for different reasons

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Can both of you fucks, center right mediocrity and schizoid tankie, respectively, respectfully, plz stop ruining this thread with ur slap fight? Thanks

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Can both of you fucks, center right mediocrity and schizoid tankie, respectively, respectfully, plz stop ruining this thread with ur slap fight? Thanks

You're thinking of Volkerball, he's largely stayed out of it.

Razputeen
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
i'm a schizoid tankie not because i have affirmatively said anything positive about hersh or his story at all, but rather because i note that implausible stories based on anonymous sources are totally fine with these Very Serious People when they are just trivialities like justifying a war or assassination or saying that the president drinks russian hooker pee and loves it

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

It would be funny considering they supported Erdogan crusade against HDP, except for the part where everybody are hosed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Razputeen posted:

i definitely agree that it is hilariously sad that i get banned for irritating the likes of you but i suspect we think this is for different reasons

You're actually constantly getting banned because you were permabanned and permaprobated on a bunch of accounts and then insist on probation evading constantly. You appear to not even have noticed that this morning's ban and probation for you wasn't even related to this thread.

Rincewinds posted:

It would be funny considering they supported Erdogan crusade against HDP, except for the part where everybody are hosed.

What would even be the putative "next" opposition party if the HDP was completely banned?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't post about posting, gently caress

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Hi guys what thread is this?? the title isn't clear!

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
At least to me, openly going after the CHP (which has more or less has been around in some form since the fall of the Ottoman Empire) is well pretty unprecedented (I will be happy to be corrected). The HDP itself has already been relatively neutered, and the MHP has already been co-opted but the CHP was always one constant (left) in Turkish politics.

To be honest, I think Erdogan would be better off just turning it in sham opposition party than dismantling it out right.

(Also it would be loving dark if the only offical opposition left were the f'ing Grey Wolves and friends.)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Razputeen posted:

i'm a schizoid tankie not because i have affirmatively said anything positive about hersh or his story at all, but rather because i note that implausible stories based on anonymous sources are totally fine with these Very Serious People when they are just trivialities like justifying a war or assassination or saying that the president drinks russian hooker pee and loves it

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

That gif. I like it a lot.

Squalid posted:

I mostly remember you earnest posting about your conversion to Quakerism

Actually I was raised Quaker and converted to nihilism.

No worries though, I'm amazed you remembered anything. I always get seriously weirded out by all these dnd posters that remember stupid spats from 5-10 years ago. You people are all just echoes in the void to me.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ardennes posted:

At least to me, openly going after the CHP (which has more or less has been around in some form since the fall of the Ottoman Empire) is well pretty unprecedented (I will be happy to be corrected). The HDP itself has already been relatively neutered, and the MHP has already been co-opted but the CHP was always one constant (left) in Turkish politics.

To be honest, I think Erdogan would be better off just turning it in sham opposition party than dismantling it out right.

(Also it would be loving dark if the only offical opposition left were the f'ing Grey Wolves and friends.)

So if CHP gets banned and HDP is neutered, who the hell is left? I don't know a ton about Turkish politics, but don't they have parliamentary elections again in not too long? The referendum barely passed (or maybe "passed") and Erdogan had serious opposition last election. He's not that popular. Banning the established opposition seems like a great way to empower more dangerous and radical elements. Maybe he thinks he'll just crush whatever popular uprising comes next, but flirting with this kind of radical reaction is a great way to provoke another coup attempt or even drive the country into civil war.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
In all SA spats, I figure the odds-on favorite is always fishmech, just due to his sheer longevity.

I also actually quite enjoy reading fishmech's posts and don't quite get the :fishmech:-themed beef goons sometimes have with him.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Tweezer Reprise posted:

In all SA spats, I figure the odds-on favorite is always fishmech, just due to his sheer longevity.

I also actually quite enjoy reading fishmech's posts and don't quite get the :fishmech:-themed beef goons sometimes have with him.

I mostly liked him, too, until he got all doe-eyed about political violence. That's when I put him on ignore. Now I just see his effects, which is a much better way of experience Fishmech.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/07/qatar-formally-respond-saudi-led-list-monday-170702202036876.html

seems kuwait got the GCC to give Qatar another 48 hours. i assume they are trying to talk the saudies out of this poo poo.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/07/qatar-formally-respond-saudi-led-list-monday-170702202036876.html

seems kuwait got the GCC to give Qatar another 48 hours. i assume they are trying to talk the saudies out of this poo poo.

What are they going to do? They've already done everything they can short of either a full starvation blockade or an invasion, if they do either of those it's pretty much the end of the GCC as a functioning unit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

What are they going to do? They've already done everything they can short of either a full starvation blockade or an invasion, if they do either of those it's pretty much the end of the GCC as a functioning unit.

who knows. my guess is that kuwait is trying to buy everyone time so cooler heads prevail. but i doubt saudies care, my guess would be full death blockade, maybe invasion. trump doesnt care and apparently legit thinks Qatar is the hub off all terrorism and probaly gave the green light for the sauds to do whatever. honestly idk.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Given Qatar more or less owns AJ, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the US right actually, unironically believes this "mother of all terrorism" bullshit.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I mean, if by US right you mean their supporters then I wager most of them don't even know Qatar is a country that exists. How many Trump supporters are even aware of or give a flying gently caress about something as fundamental as like, the Shiite/Sunni divide?
The politicians don't actually unironically believe in anything so that doesn't matter.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I mean, if by US right you mean their supporters then I wager most of them don't even know Qatar is a country that exists. How many Trump supporters are even aware of or give a flying gently caress about something as fundamental as like, the Shiite/Sunni divide?
The politicians don't actually unironically believe in anything so that doesn't matter.

I mean anyone who is aware enough to have heard Fox call AJ a terrorist news station in the aughties or some poo poo, I don't mean like massive awareness.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Punkin Spunkin posted:

pretty much. gorka legit thinks droping copies of the federalist papers in arabic would end wahabism(that and death to all browns) trump is a easly bought off idiot who believes anyone who flatters him enough, the saudies did that.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

The Atlantic had a good article out on the city of Benghazi and Eastern Libya as a whole recently. Here are a few choice quotes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/07/benghazi-libya/532056/

Whoever Controls Benghazi Controls Libya posted:

In February 2014, [Khalifa Haftar] appeared on television and announced the dissolution of the elected parliament, meeting only ridicule. “The coup that wasn’t,” people called it. Then, that summer, amid Benghazi’s intractable violence, he found his opening. With just a few hundred followers drawn from disaffected army units and eastern tribes, and some dilapidated aircraft, he launched Operation Dignity to take on the city’s Islamist militias. Within a year, his forces controlled most of the east. The campaign was unsanctioned by the Tripoli government and would soon throw the country into civil war.

Operation Dignity, Haftar explained to me then, sought not only to drive out the Islamists, but to reclaim the honor of the uniformed officers who’d been sidelined by militias. He complained that the officers of the ex-regime were paid far less than untrained Islamist militias with ties to jihadists, and blamed the situation on the corruption of the parliament and civilian leadership in Tripoli. Most importantly, though, Haftar wanted to remake Libya’s politics by expunging political Islamists, especially from the Muslim Brotherhood, who he accused of complicity in the violence. This goal aligned neatly with the policies of Egyptian strongman Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, whose speeches Haftar copied and whose military and political support would prove vital.

quote:

But Haftar had erred. By attacking the Islamists, he had lumped moderates together with jihadists and, as time wore on, the balance of power shifted to the radicals, bolstered by an influx of Tunisians, Egyptians, and other foreigners. In early 2015, the Islamic State arrived and exploited the chaos. Islamists who might’ve reconciled with the Libyan state were killed off or exiled, or they cast their fates with the so-called caliphate.

quote:

In Misrata, I met several of the militiamen who’ve shipped weapons to the Islamists fighting Haftar. They complain that his war has stoked a new nativism among some of the eastern tribes allied with Dignity. Those whom these tribes deemed not native to Benghazi and the east they brand as ghuraba, or “westerners.” No matter that Misratan families had migrated to Benghazi centuries ago, settling in the city’s downtown, where they thrived as traders and builders. Now, tribes who came to Benghazi in recent decades from its rural environs accused them of not belonging. Even worse, they labeled the Misratans Turks or Circassians, references to the Misrata’s historical links with the Ottoman Empire. “This is a tribal racism,” said one of them.

quote:

Another byproduct of Operation Dignity has been a surge in conservative Islam in Benghazi and across the east. Despite the common portrayal of Haftar as secular and anti-Islamist, he has co-opted and supported conservative, Saudi-inspired Salafists. These so-called “quietist” Salafists embrace a doctrine of loyalty to a sitting political ruler and hostility to more activist and jihadist forms of Islamism, like the Brotherhood and al-Qaeda. Unsurprisingly, they joined Dignity from the beginning. They later sent a delegation to Saudi Arabia to secure a fatwa from their clerical mentor in Saudi Arabia authorizing support for Haftar.

In recent months, the pro-Haftar Salafists have attempted to consolidate their control of security affairs and social life in Benghazi and to the east. They field their own militia, and deploy it across the city’s frontlines. They are also active in prisons; I met one of them who works on the theological “rehabilitation” of captured jihadists. The Salafists also function as a sort of morality police. They have confiscated and burned books deemed heretical and shut down an “Earth Day” celebration, branding it as un-Islamic. Their influence unnerves many of Haftar’s liberal supporters: They thought he’d restore security and oust the Islamists, not unleash Islamists of his own.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

awful as gently caress, but gently caress em. the stupid fucks should have figured this was coming when they joined up with isis. still horrible. apparently the russians are part of some russian PMC that is made up of veterans from the Chechen wars judiging from the facebook page.

This is a poor line of thinking. Torture is never ok or justifiable.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

This is a poor line of thinking. Torture is never ok or justifiable.

The retard Assad supporter quoted here is correct. shame he's too much of a shithead to realize how big a hypocrite he is.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

The retard Assad supporter quoted here is correct. shame he's too much of a shithead to realize how big a hypocrite he is.

I am not defending the torture. It's hosed up and it never works. All I was saying in my petty way was I am not gonna weep over some Isis soldiers falling into the Russians hands.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am not defending the torture. It's hosed up and it never works. All I was saying in my petty way was I am not gonna weep over some Isis soldiers falling into the Russians hands.

Oh of course I got what you're saying, you're right to not feel sympathy for ISIS troops. I wast calling you a hypocrite I was calling the person who loves a mass murderer I quoted one.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It's OK to murder the people. They're enemies of the people. Obviously.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Duckbag posted:

It's OK to murder the people. They're enemies of the people. Obviously.

Who's arguing this?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I voted for dobald trump because hillary would have already had us balls deep in syria. shed have orderedthe NFZ rapidly and none of the chemical aytacks would have happened however the cards would have all been on the table. T has kept us afloat in syria without raising sails far enough to defer our course. were setting up bases in east syria. they arent going anywhere. qatar is our ally. we wont let SA invade tbem this whole spat is dumb. T knows this. this is why he has been quote presidential i. his approach to the crisos. thanks GOD for T

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

steinrokkan posted:

I find it darkly humorous that the militantly xenophobic Islamist currency depicts the place of Christs's second coming, from which he shall unite all people of the Books in peace.

I find their constant depictions of minarets worthy of a smirk, given what they've done in Al Nuri

LeoMarr posted:

I voted for dobald trump because hillary would have already had us balls deep in syria. shed have orderedthe NFZ rapidly and none of the chemical aytacks would have happened however the cards would have all been on the table. T has kept us afloat in syria without raising sails far enough to defer our course. were setting up bases in east syria. they arent going anywhere. qatar is our ally. we wont let SA invade tbem this whole spat is dumb. T knows this. this is why he has been quote presidential i. his approach to the crisos. thanks GOD for T

It's like the BBC comments section all over again. God help us.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

You've called for (on repeated occasions I might add) for the violent murder of every member of the SyAAF.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

Who's arguing this?

You.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Razputeen posted:

No, you're the projecting autistic shrieker claiming that others are autistically shrieking while you do so harder than anyone on this forum has managed for 15 years. Jesus.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

LeoMarr posted:

I, too, am a McDowell parachute account.

For the sake of content, Iraqi forces are reportedly celebrating victory in Mosul.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
This will go over well

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/881781747762962433

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Who's arguing this?

When it comes to the scw, the question is who isn't arguing this?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I like how people complain when Chechen soldiers make marks on historical things when we're making history as we speak. The Syrian Civil War is the same kind of history as the days of Roman rule. Why shouldn't it make its mark on the antiquities of the area?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Per Kurdistan24.

https://twitter.com/ShiaPulse/status/881775760436080640

• Locked thread