Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Or you just have a person as a standin for a lot of the shots covered with tracking markers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Probably kind of like how they did Frozen:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

The "handheld" shake might all be added in post or possibly they're using some sort of motorized rig where the shake is pre-programmed which allows them to film the scene dozens of times with the exact same shakes.

They can probably put sensors on the camera that track its motion in the real world (including shakes) and use that data directly to help sync it up.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

FreudianSlippers posted:

The "handheld" shake might all be added in post or possibly they're using some sort of motorized rig where the shake is pre-programmed which allows them to film the scene dozens of times with the exact same shakes.

No, it was real handheld.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

AlternateAccount posted:

Or you just have a person as a standin for a lot of the shots covered with tracking markers.

You'd put them on the ground and other fixed places, no use putting them on a person or to even have a person there. Once you have enough markers it's simple math (for a computer) to figure out what the camera movements were and then to move the CG characters accordingly.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So I watched the otherwise-meh movie Dark Skies since it was on Netflix. I've heard mention of an alternate ending that's found on the BR, but it's not a movie I care enough about to go out and buy it. My Google-Fu is failing me on any description of it other than "You should watch the alternate ending!"

Does anyone happen to know what it is?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Schweinhund posted:

You'd put them on the ground and other fixed places, no use putting them on a person or to even have a person there. Once you have enough markers it's simple math (for a computer) to figure out what the camera movements were and then to move the CG characters accordingly.

On a real set, you can generally get away with just tracking certain points on the image, instead of having to put tracking markers all over. Removing the markers is a pain all by itself.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
How often is executive producer a real job? (I'm assuming that some people get this credit for putting up money, and that some actors or directors negotiate it as part of a deal where they get a cut of the gross.)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Halloween Jack posted:

How often is executive producer a real job? (I'm assuming that some people get this credit for putting up money, and that some actors or directors negotiate it as part of a deal where they get a cut of the gross.)

Not some, all. The "executive" in executive producer is like the "executive" in CEO and if they get involved with the project it is usually only with extremely high-level decisions like packaging stars. The people who do the organizational work seeing the project through are usually credited as producers, and the ones who manage day-to-day operations are line producers.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Not some, all. The "executive" in executive producer is like the "executive" in CEO and if they get involved with the project it is usually only with extremely high-level decisions like packaging stars. The people who do the organizational work seeing the project through are usually credited as producers, and the ones who manage day-to-day operations are line producers.

Not strictly true. An EP can be the person who procures and structures the financing of a film, not just someone who puts up or represents money. (In fact, the term for that job is exec-producing). It might also be someone who was very involved in the genesis and/or development of the film but not enough to warrant a full producer credit. An EP credit is very broad; it can mean a lot of things.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Vince McMahon got an EP credit in The Scorpion King solely for allowing Dwayne Johnson to use the WWF trademark "The Rock" in the credits.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

and the ones who manage day-to-day operations are line producers.

Is the boss of those line producers the executive producer? For example, if there are multiple crews and multiple locations those boss of those crews are line producers, the one that overseas them all is the executive producer?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

xcore posted:

Is the boss of those line producers the executive producer? For example, if there are multiple crews and multiple locations those boss of those crews are line producers, the one that overseas them all is the executive producer?

No, the producer. EPs are not usually involved in the day to day manufacture of the film. Producers are.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

therattle posted:

No, the producer. EPs are not usually involved in the day to day manufacture of the film. Producers are.

Beneoff/GoT, Lindeloff/Lost, Gilligan/Breaking Bad are all EPs involved in the day to day of their show.

Are the rules different with TV?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

xcore posted:

Beneoff/GoT, Lindeloff/Lost, Gilligan/Breaking Bad are all EPs involved in the day to day of their show.

Are the rules different with TV?

Yes they are but I am not sufficiently familiar with TV to know or explain the difference . I think the producer is responsible for day to day and the EP oversees the whole thing and guides it creatively.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

EP credits work differently in TV because writers are relatively more powerful and the head writer is usually the one who also oversees the production of all the episodes, so they (or another producer) get the executive producer credit to reflect that. Each episode will usually have their own director and producer but there is a bigger chain of command above them as compared to features.

Though you still get the titular EP credit in TV as well, JJ Abrams had almost nothing to do with Lost after getting the project off the ground and directing the pilot

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 11, 2015

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mark Wahlberg was also EP of Boardwalk Empire and I can't imagine he did anything beyond ringing up a few people and connecting the right people.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
So are producer credits how directors make star money? Or do they never make movie-star money? I know that the top directors can command high salaries, but it seems like they have far fewer ancillary opportunities to make big bucks (like Dior paying Jennifer Lawrence $15 million to wear free clothes). Speaking of stars and merchandising, do they get a cut of things like toys? For example, I figure Jennifer Lawrence gets a royalty from Katniss Everdeen action figures, but Christian Bale and Andrew Garfield don't get royalties from movie-related Batman or Spider-Man toys...unless the mask comes off and you can see a likeness of their face.

I'm often a lot more interested in how the money gets spread around in big Hollywood productions than I am in the films themselves.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I imagine as far as the toys go that it's whatever's in their contract. Mark Hamill had it in his contract for Star Wars that he got one of any Luke Skywalker figure ever made. Somewhere he has a warehouse filled with thousands of dolls that look somewhat like him.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Directors often make money by directing commercials. Like the Coen Brothers do a bunch of stuff for The Gap, Werner Herzog has done some paper towel ads... For a lot of people in the film industry, ads are what pay.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I do remember that David Lynch did a panel wherein someone asked him why he did a car commercial. I believe his answer was "Because they paid me $3 million for two days of shooting, young man."

Y'know, that reminds me of another question that's been on my mind. The most alarming and intriguing articles I've read on film in the past few months have all been about the death of mid-budget cinema--I loved Only Lovers Left Alive and soon after read several articles about how hard it is to get funding for that kind of film nowadays. I wonder, is it a sign of the times that actors who made their reputation in heartfelt indie films are appearing in blockbusters, or is that simply something that's always happened? (I'm thinking specifically of Jennifer Lawrence and Jena Malone in The Hunger Games.)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Halloween Jack posted:

I do remember that David Lynch did a panel wherein someone asked him why he did a car commercial. I believe his answer was "Because they paid me $3 million for two days of shooting, young man."

Y'know, that reminds me of another question that's been on my mind. The most alarming and intriguing articles I've read on film in the past few months have all been about the death of mid-budget cinema--I loved Only Lovers Left Alive and soon after read several articles about how hard it is to get funding for that kind of film nowadays. I wonder, is it a sign of the times that actors who made their reputation in heartfelt indie films are appearing in blockbusters, or is that simply something that's always happened? (I'm thinking specifically of Jennifer Lawrence and Jena Malone in The Hunger Games.)

Always happened. Think of Easy Rider and everyone went from that to big blockbusters.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I wonder, is it a sign of the times that actors who made their reputation in heartfelt indie films are appearing in blockbusters, or is that simply something that's always happened? (I'm thinking specifically of Jennifer Lawrence and Jena Malone in The Hunger Games.)

Granted there is the "X Hollywood star is the new Batman/James Bond" style of blockbusters but they are normally outweighed by the Daniel Radcliffe, Robert Pattinson, Elijah Wood, Vin Diesel type blockbuster.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Vegetable posted:

Mark Wahlberg was also EP of Boardwalk Empire and I can't imagine he did anything beyond ringing up a few people and connecting the right people.

I think with TV the people involved with the pilot get royalties for the entire series, which is why big names in film will direct TV pilots well below their paygrade.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Vegetable posted:

Scorsese wasn't enough?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

xcore posted:

Granted there is the "X Hollywood star is the new Batman/James Bond" style of blockbusters but they are normally outweighed by the Daniel Radcliffe, Robert Pattinson, Elijah Wood, Vin Diesel type blockbuster.
I'm confused as to what you mean by that.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

xcore posted:

What? Skyfall made over a billion dollars.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know what half of you are talking about. There are no "Big actors" that only do indie films. The fact that you know their name means that they have done projects that were popular. Actors who are popular can always do projects with larger budgets, and why wouldn't they want to? Sure, some actors are highly selective as well as highly successful, but almost all of them have also been in big budget hollywood films.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm confused as to what you mean by that.

I was trying to say that it seems to be more common that a Blockbuster franchise get a relative unknown and turns them into a star (Twilight, LotR, Fast & Furious, Harry Potter, Hunger Games) rather that a franchise getting an established mega star and launching a franchise (Iron Man, Batman, Bond)

Unmature posted:

What? Skyfall made over a billion dollars.

I wasn't trying to say they were unsuccessful, but that this specific formula is less common (although now that I think about it, Daniel Craig was a relative unknown too)

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

xcore posted:

I was trying to say that it seems to be more common that a Blockbuster franchise get a relative unknown and turns them into a star (Twilight, LotR, Fast & Furious, Harry Potter, Hunger Games) rather that a franchise getting an established mega star and launching a franchise (Iron Man, Batman, Bond)

Downey Jr. wasn't a mega star when he did Iron Man, he was pretty much considered washed up until that and Tropic Thunder came out the same summer.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

penismightier posted:

Downey Jr. wasn't a mega star when he did Iron Man, he was pretty much considered washed up until that and Tropic Thunder came out the same summer.

Also, while a known actor, Christian Bale wasn't exactly a star before Batman.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Skwirl posted:

Also, while a known actor, Christian Bale wasn't exactly a star before Batman.

Come to think of it, Brosnan was the only Bond who was a star before taking the part, too.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Downey was in a recovery period, not exactly a star anymore, but he was on a creative upswing with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Good Night and Good Luck, A Scanner Darkly, and Zodiac all happening in succession right before Iron Man and Tropic Thunder cemented his A-List status.

Though to be fair, none of those movies made any money.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

penismightier posted:

Come to think of it, Brosnan was the only Bond who was a star before taking the part, too.

What do you call Roger Moore and The Saint?

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
I've seen the term Tactical Realism thrown about on the forums, but have never seen an actual definition, either here or on the internet at large.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Tactical realism is like those Everything Wrong With [movie] videos but not joking. They're the kind of people who view movies as challenges to be beat, and if you beat it then you can be like "yeah this movie sucks and I don't care about it because [list of niggling details]" and then you "win" the movie, or something. It's lovely surface-level analysis.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

& honestly how famous was Brosnan?

the only pre-bond roles I can think of are Sally Field's new boyfriend in Mrs Doubtfire and him popping up at the end of the Long Good Friday.

I mean by that count even Daniel Craig has him beat with just Layer Cake and being in Munich.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

Oh, forgot about that! Him too, then.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

& honestly how famous was Brosnan?

the only pre-bond roles I can think of are Sally Field's new boyfriend in Mrs Doubtfire and him popping up at the end of the Long Good Friday.

I mean by that count even Daniel Craig has him beat with just Layer Cake and being in Munich.

Brosnan had Remington Steele.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

I imagine as far as the toys go that it's whatever's in their contract. Mark Hamill had it in his contract for Star Wars that he got one of any Luke Skywalker figure ever made. Somewhere he has a warehouse filled with thousands of dolls that look somewhat like him.

This must be like a monkey's paw curse for him by now. I can imagine him being like 23 and thinking it was a weird novelty to be a doll and thinking it would be fun to pull out and show his kids someday, but now the doll deliveries never stop. They haven't stopped for 15 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jack Gladney posted:

This must be like a monkey's paw curse for him by now. I can imagine him being like 23 and thinking it was a weird novelty to be a doll and thinking it would be fun to pull out and show his kids someday, but now the doll deliveries never stop. They haven't stopped for 15 years.

Mark Hamill is actually a huge comic book nerd who collects toys for fun so he's probably loving it to this day.