Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Not directed towards me but I have had a long slow path up in IT so i'll give my experience:

In college I delivered pizzas. But as a teenager was into computers, mostly to play video games, but having no clue what IT involved and no skills beyond researching how to build my own computer, and troubleshooting mods.

I then got a helpdesk job by not being a mouth breather and having just the tiniest bit of computer knowledge. Worked helpdesk for 4-5 years while I learned as much as I could, volunteered for everything, was over my head a lot of the times. As part of that job I did new computer imaging, got sick of our manual process, and spun up a MDT server with new task sequences, and deployment scripts. I got my A+ and Net+ at this time.

I used that experience and certs to become an assistant help desk manager at another job where I handled SCCM. At this job I got my ITIL and Sec+.

I used that experience to become a windows sysadmin with a fair amount of exchange work. As I was dealing with exchange and windows server I could see a developing drinking problem coming up on the horizon. I always had an interest in networking so I started ponying up next to the networking guys and helping where I could. I got my CCNA and was offered a jr network admin position. This job was great because they gave me a ton of responsibility and opportunities to advance. I basically became a enterprise route/switch guy with a ton of wireless and firewall experience. That was over the course of 5+ years.

At that job I got my AWS Solutions Architect cert and my CISSP as I decided that layer 2 was going nowhere with the adoption of the cloud and I didnt want to get left behind. Used my experience in networking/sysadmin and certs (primarily CISSP) to break into security as a SOC analyst.

Did that for a year, got some more AWS certs and advanced to a security engineer position where I make great money, great benefits, some fun stuff but work for a crappy company. Still no better time to be looking for a job in tech, so I'll probably stick around a bit to get my sign on bonus then bounce.

My advice for new people at least is to start at helpdesk, or SOME entry level IT position. Literally anything to get your foot in the door. Use that experience to learn what other areas of IT you may be interested in and go from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

Just wanted to post a wonderful shout out to this thread.

2.5 years ago I poked my head in here to ask about starting an IT career to escape my old career in restaurant management. I have now worked for 2+ years professionally in IT, make a comfortable salary, and have (most) nights and weekends off for the first time in my working life.

If you're stepping in here, wondering the same things I did, it really is very realistic for you to move out of whatever job you hate now and into IT.

Same minus the restaurant.

Got in with the help desk, learned new poo poo everyday, helped people, eventually helped the right people who helped me get somewhere where I’m learning new poo poo everyday again. Granted, some of it is SharePoint and it makes me want to die, but the other stuff is pretty rad.

IT is dope.

E: don’t be the rear end in a top hat who never worked helpdesk who thinks they know poo poo about the environment. Your helpdesk guys (actual on prem helpdesk guys, not your call center people) know poo poo about the environment you’ve probably never seen. Knowledge works both ways and every environment is different.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 5, 2022

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I just switched from restaurant management as well with just the A+ to my resume. Plus, you know, years of restaurant management. 3 weeks into my desktop support job and every day is a joy compared to dealing with FOH and BOH. Weekends off and not working overtime alone is a massive boon even if I'm making a bit less money starting out. I managed to land myself in an org that is doing interesting poo poo and with tons of opportunity to touch a bit of almost everything.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

thewizardofshoe posted:

I just switched from restaurant management as well with just the A+ to my resume. Plus, you know, years of restaurant management. 3 weeks into my desktop support job and every day is a joy compared to dealing with FOH and BOH. Weekends off and not working overtime alone is a massive boon even if I'm making a bit less money starting out. I managed to land myself in an org that is doing interesting poo poo and with tons of opportunity to touch a bit of almost everything.

Right in my veins, buddy. That’s the good poo poo. Good for you.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I've been doing help desk for coming up on 3 years now. 1 year at an MSP and now nearly 2 years at a firm where I feel like I'm well compensated for what I do. My boss has been thrilled at the value I've brought to the team over the past 2 years and my evaluation earlier this year showed it. That being said I do feel like I'm interested in the next step. My position has been nearly entirely remote so I haven't really got a good grasp of the other IT departments but I do know if eventually like to more away from the phones and become more specialized. I have my A+ and my Net+ and I have another year to decide on sec+ to renew all three. However, I do think that I want to go likely towards networking. Security scares the poo poo out of me and seems very high stressed.

My company is great but I'm not really sure how to go about finding what options are available to me in terms of moving over to say networking. I'm sure my boss would love to keep me on his team, I haven't had my 1 on 1 with the CIO yet, and the head of networking works out of an entirely different office.

Either way I'm sure the CCNA is likely in the future. I have a few questions regarding it. I'm assuming I'll need to build a home lab, what is the expected cost to put something like that together? What courses for the CCNA do people recommend in late 2022? How long is reasonable to study for the CCNA? I know this last question is extremely variable, as everyone learns at a different pace and have differing levels of starting knowledge, but if I studied like say 3x a week for 4 hours, is 6 months reasonable? Longer?

Are there any certs that people recommend over the CCNA at this point as an intermediate cert? In mid 2020 when the market was horrible after Covid started, the CCNA still seemed like the best bang for the buck mid level cert to go after.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 8, 2022

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
When it comes to just “networking” then CCNA is still the golden standard for certs. Cisco just sucks at training material for new people who can’t be expected to just read white pages. I still recommend signing up for Junipers free learning portal and going over all their appreciate level stuff as most of it is platform agnostic and helps build a foundation.

As far as courses that’s hard to say as none jumps out to me as being great. I mostly recommend looking over the cert outline and looking up videos/reading the white pages for specific topics over trying to find an all-in-one course.

You don’t need a lab for CCNA. Even Packet Tracer might be excessive, although it’s a good tool to make sure you understand the fundamentals and not just learning for the exam.

6 months is extremely doable. 2-3 if you are actually committed.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

re: encouragement

I've doubled my salary in the past year because of certs. This is a journey that began 4 years ago but it really snapped into place last year. Thanks thread.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

navyjack posted:

I’m in the restaurant biz and trying to get my first IT job with Net/Sec+, so I’m curious as to what you’re initial path looked like to get your foot in the door. Helpdesk?

Finding an MSP in your area is absolutely your best bet. The churn is high and they're always looking to train new level one/help desk people from the ground.

edit: The money will suck for a bit but you can blast through the salary range if you really work at it. I was making $65k as a restaurant manager (with bonuses) and I got back to that within a year of working in IT, but I really really really ground away at developing my skills. The ceiling really is wherever you want to put it.

Unexpected Raw Anime fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 8, 2022

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Quick sanity check please:

Currently working at a small/medium size lab as a jr sysadmin/data security guy. Bringing in $70k/year with a great work life balance.

The company has offered to pay tuition if I go back to school, and I was thinking of getting a masters degree in Cybersecurity from WGU (already got accepted into the program)

Now the question is, would that be a good use of time versus spending that bandwidth on getting a bunch of Azure certs? Like, it’s a no brainer to get a masters if I don’t have to pay for it, right? FWIW I’m interested in both policy and data integrity, as well as cloud shittery. Nothing is technically stopping me from getting certs AND the MS except for time and effort

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Having a degree will never hurt you, and will allow you to apply for a lot of "degree required" government jobs. If work is paying for it I'd say go for it.

I think the WGU degrees have you test for a bunch of certs as it is.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're going to be getting certs from your program at WGU. When I looked at it a year ago I'm pretty sure the masters program was loaded with them. It doesn't make sense for me to get my masters right now as I'm still doing help desk. But after I get my CCNA and switch roles, I'll definitely consider it.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I am literally withdrawing from WGU as we speak (due to personal poo poo) but they did change it this term that instead of getting the cert then you pass the class you take a test in the class, then you can request a exam voucher, then do exam and then get cert.

Not sure if that's happening for all cert-focused classes but they did double the amount of AWS certs for my program this last term but one of them I wasn't going to get.

Also not sure if anyone cares about that info but figured I'd say it.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

cage-free egghead posted:

I am literally withdrawing from WGU as we speak (due to personal poo poo) but they did change it this term that instead of getting the cert then you pass the class you take a test in the class, then you can request a exam voucher, then do exam and then get cert.

Not sure if that's happening for all cert-focused classes but they did double the amount of AWS certs for my program this last term but one of them I wasn't going to get.

Also not sure if anyone cares about that info but figured I'd say it.

That’s very good info to have, thank you

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The masters program at WGU only has two certs, either of which is the caliber is CISSP which is super desirable. I wouldn’t put as much weight on those certs as I would the ones you get with the bachelors program but it’s still a good program nonetheless.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

So, I'm an old computer hobbyist. How old? My first build as a wee bairn involved putting a 10-megabyte hard drive mounted on an ISA card into an XT. That's how old. I've been a hobbyist all my life and I've never used a desktop PC I didn't build myself. I've had a few vaguely computer-toucher jobs over the years, but never really did it as a career. I'm thinking of changing that, as my current industry is finally starting to be encroached on by technology and globalization.

My brother ran the IT department for a non-profit, and he and I had always talked about me getting certifications and getting into IT. I always kind of pushed it off because I really dug working from home and the flexibility was nice to take care of family, but when a lot of tech stuff moved to remote with the pandemic it started to seem more appealing. When my brother passed away earlier this year-- he managed to avoid COVID, but heart disease got him-- he left me enough money that I could take the time and get said certs, so I'm going to do that.

I'm planning on doing the A+ first because that seems to be the start-here certification and I'm pretty sure I can get that done relatively quickly given the knowledge base I have. Net+ and Security+ would be obvious next choices, but I get the vibe that the CCNA path is a little more respected despite being vendor-specific. I've also looked into those Google certs they've been pushing everywhere, as well as stuff like that free-to-audit Harvard CS course and things like that.

So what would be a good path for someone who's pretty computer-competent but doesn't have the experience on his CV to get into this? I know I'll have to start off with something pretty low-level to get the resume built up and I'm fine with that. I'm not really sure what subgenre of IT I'd like to end up in at this point, so I just really want to get some certifications to get a foot in the door. Any recommendations as to what to do or oh my God what not to do?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
You're right that the A+ is the place to start, and also easy. It's also stupid so don't be surprised when they have you memorize ancient arcana that doesn't matter.

Not everyone agrees with me on this, but I do actually think the Network+ is a good cert with good material. It's wide, not deep, but it covers a lot of very relevant stuff. If you can pass a CCNA exam, yes, that is better and will effectively supersede the Net+ (no one will care that you don't have a Net+ if you have a CCNA, outside of the occasional weird job), but the CCNA is not easy and the Net+ is not a bad thing to get in the meantime.

I don't have a Sec+, I don't think it is very well respected, but specifically the DoD apparently requires it for many (most? all?) IT jobs, so get it if that's something you want to do.

The CCNA is still very well respected and is a great thing to have if you want to get into networking. It's good stuff to know even if you aren't planning to get into networking -- nobody outside networking understands networking, nor do many of the people in networking -- but if that's not the route you want to go, don't feel like you have to get one. The exam was recently reworked to be broader and shallower, I don't know everything that's on it now.

Cloud stuff like AWS or Azure certs currently print money, but you would probably want to have a little experience before going for those jobs. I will leave specific recommendations to people who know it better.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Before you dive into a specialization you should ask yourself what type of work you would like to do a few years down the line.

CCNA is a respected cert and will set you up for a career in network administration. Is that what you want to do though? If you're more drawn to cloud you should get a few entry level AWS or Azure certs. If you want to work with Windows servers/desktops get the relevant MS certs. Or take RHCSA if you'd love to dive into the linux world.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

guppy posted:

You're right that the A+ is the place to start, and also easy. It's also stupid so don't be surprised when they have you memorize ancient arcana that doesn't matter.

I actually started to go for my A+ back in the late 1990s before I tripped and fell into a job with the Postal Service, and the prep course I was taking involved loving soldering. Never got to the test so I don't know if knowing poo poo about resistors and capacitors was actually a part of it back then, but yeah even then I had a lot of "why the gently caress would I need to know this" vibes from the thing.

The good news is the ancient arcana is probably poo poo I experienced first-hand.

LochNessMonster posted:

Before you dive into a specialization you should ask yourself what type of work you would like to do a few years down the line.

CCNA is a respected cert and will set you up for a career in network administration. Is that what you want to do though? If you're more drawn to cloud you should get a few entry level AWS or Azure certs. If you want to work with Windows servers/desktops get the relevant MS certs. Or take RHCSA if you'd love to dive into the linux world.

Yeah, I definitely don't want to go too specialized before I realize what I really want to get into. I figure the A+ and the Network+ will be generalist enough and enough to get my foot in the door, just looking for other basic certifications that will help starting out. Cloud definitely intrigues me, but I don't know if that's enough to consider it as a field.

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 18, 2022

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

kazmeyer posted:

Yeah, I definitely don't want to go too specialized before I realize what I really want to get into. I figure the A+ and the Network+ will be generalist enough and enough to get my foot in the door, just looking for other basic certifications that will help starting out. Cloud definitely intrigues me, but I don't know if that's enough to consider it as a field.

The CompTIA certs are definitely entry level. CCNA is already more in depth and sets you up for your entry level network admin job, unless you're planning to take on more certs before applying to a new job.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

LochNessMonster posted:

The CompTIA certs are definitely entry level. CCNA is already more in depth and sets you up for your entry level network admin job, unless you're planning to take on more certs before applying to a new job.

If I passed Net+ without every having worked in IT and only done virtual lab networking, can I pass CCNA or is that going to require more hands on Cisco equipment to be able to challenge the test?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I built a small home lab when I took my CCNA a few years ago but from what I'm told Packet Tracer has come a long way and is a perfectly valid way to build out a test lab now.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Haven’t done CCNA since they changed it but Packet Tracer was good enough.

A lot of certs can be done without any experience. Studying will likely take a bit/lot longer since you’re learning so many new things.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

navyjack posted:

If I passed Net+ without every having worked in IT and only done virtual lab networking, can I pass CCNA or is that going to require more hands on Cisco equipment to be able to challenge the test?

Its been years, but the CCNA at the time at least, actually required you to know the cli and get in and configure devices.

I would recommend against buying hardware though. Something like Boson NetSim or PacketTracer or GSN3 with images will be just fine for what you need.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

So let's say my plan is to do A+ and Network+ before I start job hunting for serious. If I was going to add one more to that, what would be a suitable choice? (I could probably spend up to 12 months skiving at my day job and working on certs before I'd really need to start hunting for real.) The only thing I can say for sure I'm looking for in terms of a dream job is something loving remote in the plague year. :)

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 20, 2022

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

kazmeyer posted:

So let's say my plan is to do A+ and Network+ before I start job hunting for serious. If I was going to add one more to that, what would be a really good basic choice? (I could probably spend up to 12 months skiving at my day job and working on certs before I'd really need to start hunting for real.) The only thing I can say for sure I'm looking for in terms of a dream job is something loving remote in the plague year. :)

What kind of work do you want to be doing? If you're looking for remote I hear Cloud is a good option, but it can be hard to get into without doing some helpdesk. You could complete the A+ trifecta and get Security, but I'm not sure how much it would help you get a job doing security.

And since I haven't posted about it ITT before, I got my A+ in June and started working in July as a helpdesk technician at a nonprofit. Excellent pay for the work, not much room to grow in house but hopefully good for building a resume and eventually some cloud certs since we're doing a move to Azure. Been there for about a month, we're pretty small but actually decently funded. Been writing documentation, setting up user accounts and laptops, and doing normal "help reset my password" style helpdesking. The biggest issue I have right now is asking my boss for projects because I quickly exhaust doing those things for the day and want to start learning new stuff.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

kazmeyer posted:

So let's say my plan is to do A+ and Network+ before I start job hunting for serious. If I was going to add one more to that, what would be a suitable choice? (I could probably spend up to 12 months skiving at my day job and working on certs before I'd really need to start hunting for real.) The only thing I can say for sure I'm looking for in terms of a dream job is something loving remote in the plague year. :)

Security+ is more useful then Network+ because some gov branches require it for certain positions I believe. Not a US goon so maybe someone who knows it for sure can confirm this.

Generally speaking the CompTIA one are the starter certs. After that it usually boils down to personal preference and/or what skills you’d like to develop or are relevant for your current/future job.

So what’s next is really up to your personal preference. There’s entry level cloud certs for AWS/Azure that can be done with minor study time (1-3 weeks). Not very valuable but it gives you an idea what that field is like, the study materials are free and the cert is 100-150 bucks.

Linux doesn’t really have entry level certs as far as I’m aware. LPIC is extremely boring memorization, RHCSA is fully hands on and a challenge even with some experience. Not worth it at all if you don’t want to work with Linux. The latter is extremely valuable if you do.

I’d suggest doing some soul searching about the general direction you would like to explore. IT is so large that you have incredible amounts of choices.

Sys Admin, Desktop Support, Front End or Back End development, DB admin, Business Analist, Data Engineering, AI/ML, Scrum Master/Product Owner, Enterprise/Solution Architect, SRE, DevOps, etc.

So many options means you can’t really ask advice for your next step without at least having a direction which you’d like to explore. You’re not going to be stuck with it, but chances are your first choice will determine your next job (i.e. if you go for Windows Server cert you’re less likely to end up with a network admin job). The more experience/certs you’ll get, the more choices you’ll get later on so it’s perfectly fine to pick up skills/certs outside of your direct line of work.

tokin opposition posted:

And since I haven't posted about it ITT before, I got my A+ in June and started working in July as a helpdesk technician at a nonprofit.

Congrats on the A+ and the job! Any other certs you’re looking at next?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I just passed Security+. Adrenaline is still pumping from the terrifying moments it takes to do the survey. But I did it yay

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

KirbyKhan posted:

I just passed Security+. Adrenaline is still pumping from the terrifying moments it takes to do the survey. But I did it yay

:hfive:

Congrats! Yeah, that anticipation after hitting SUBMIT and then the NEXT buttons until you see a score.

The AWS Solutions Architect was even worse because I didn't find out pass/fail until the next day.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Hughmoris posted:

The AWS Solutions Architect was even worse because I didn't find out pass/fail until the next day.

I swear mine flashed “passed” for a second before loading the survey. Waiting for the mail to arrive was dreadful

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Just wanted to post a wonderful shout out to this thread.

2.5 years ago I poked my head in here to ask about starting an IT career to escape my old career in restaurant management. I have now worked for 2+ years professionally in IT, make a comfortable salary, and have (most) nights and weekends off for the first time in my working life.

If you're stepping in here, wondering the same things I did, it really is very realistic for you to move out of whatever job you hate now and into IT.

How long did it take you to study up? I took an intro to computer science course in college but I’ve forgotten almost all of it. Are there any good online courses or will I just have to muck it out with self-study.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Finally pushed myself to schedule the AWS Certified Developer exam in a few weeks. Been studying on and off for it since Q1 but things kept coming up.

Gonna dive straight into Solutions Architect Pro afterwards to upgrade the SA Associate that’s expiring in November. I’ve got a few years of AWS experience under my belt so I hope that’s gonna be enough to pull me through on this one.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Forgot I had a AZ-900 exam scheduled today (got a voucher from a webinar). Decided to raw dog it and see how I did since it’s relatively low value.

Ended up passing, but man was there a lot of guessing. Classic Microsoft exam.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

App13 posted:

Forgot I had a AZ-900 exam scheduled today (got a voucher from a webinar). Decided to raw dog it and see how I did since it’s relatively low value.

Ended up passing, but man was there a lot of guessing. Classic Microsoft exam.

:hfive:

I'm struggling to decide what I want to get a cert in next. I have a shitload of dead time with work, and my company will pay for training/certs. I picked up my DP-900 and AWS SAA a bit ago, looking at Azure Data Engineering or Azure SQL next?

*Unfortunately I don't directly use these technologies at my current job, and I feel like my limited tech skills are diminishing.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

How long did it take you to study up? I took an intro to computer science course in college but I’ve forgotten almost all of it. Are there any good online courses or will I just have to muck it out with self-study.

Professor Messer's A+ Program on YouTube is a great place to start. Honestly, the way I was hired, and the way I hire Tier 1/Basic Entry Level people now is based entirely around someone's motivation for self-learning and problem-solving skills. If you start out in something like Managed Services, you're going to be dealing with a lot of specific applications and simple tasks, like password resets.

Some good things to learn to demonstrate basic support knowledge for interview questions:

Active Directory (Basic account creation, account disable/enable, password resets)
Basic Windows "Networking" (IP Addressing, Subnet, Default Gateway Configuration, Wireless vs. Wired)

If you don't know the answer to an interview question for a level one position, the very best answer you can provide is how you would work toward finding the answer on your own. Non-specific questions via Google, Internet Forums, Internal Documentation. Application or Hardware Specific: Review support options, contact the vendor(s) support.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Professor Messer's A+ Program on YouTube is a great place to start. Honestly, the way I was hired, and the way I hire Tier 1/Basic Entry Level people now is based entirely around someone's motivation for self-learning and problem-solving skills. If you start out in something like Managed Services, you're going to be dealing with a lot of specific applications and simple tasks, like password resets.

Some good things to learn to demonstrate basic support knowledge for interview questions:

Active Directory (Basic account creation, account disable/enable, password resets)
Basic Windows "Networking" (IP Addressing, Subnet, Default Gateway Configuration, Wireless vs. Wired)

If you don't know the answer to an interview question for a level one position, the very best answer you can provide is how you would work toward finding the answer on your own. Non-specific questions via Google, Internet Forums, Internal Documentation. Application or Hardware Specific: Review support options, contact the vendor(s) support.

Thanks for the advice. My city actually has an "intensive" job training program for coding/tech jobs that has some pretty good contacts with the region's computer employers. It's free so the waitlist is decent-sized so I'm doing this right now to try to get my skills up prior to the program or as a back-up if I'm not accepted or the waitlist turns out to be unbearably long so I'm more worried about learning the material right now than interviews which comes later.

I bought ExamCram and am working my way through it and networks is something I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around and I'm going to have to focus hard on. Are there any explanations of how networks work which are particularly good or simple. Labs or simulations? I usually do better hands-on-learning than reading, i think.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Thanks for the advice. My city actually has an "intensive" job training program for coding/tech jobs that has some pretty good contacts with the region's computer employers. It's free so the waitlist is decent-sized so I'm doing this right now to try to get my skills up prior to the program or as a back-up if I'm not accepted or the waitlist turns out to be unbearably long so I'm more worried about learning the material right now than interviews which comes later.

I bought ExamCram and am working my way through it and networks is something I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around and I'm going to have to focus hard on. Are there any explanations of how networks work which are particularly good or simple. Labs or simulations? I usually do better hands-on-learning than reading, i think.

"How do networks work" is so vague that it has either a billion answers or none. Is there anything in particular you have questions about or would like explained?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

"How do networks work" is so vague that it has either a billion answers or none. Is there anything in particular you have questions about or would like explained?

I have a lot of questions but for just one:

What exactly are ports and what does it mean to have them open? Exam cram just kind of assumes I already know what they are and how they work.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

guppy posted:

What exactly are ports and what does it mean to have them open? Exam cram just kind of assumes I already know what they are and how they work.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

You really want to start with something like a Network+ Exam prep for learning basics. Without a good foundation, you wouldn't realize how open-ended a question like this actually is. "Port" can mean several different things without context, for example, some network hardware refers to physical interfaces as ports, but a port can also be the identifier for a specific protocol. An "open port" could be one of these protocols is allowed via security policies, or it could be a physical interface with no port security enabled on it. If someone tells you to "find an open port", they might be asking you to look for a physical interface with nothing currently plugged into it.

There are a lot of terms that get thrown around interchangeably in networking. I frequently see "packet" and "frame" used to mean the same thing, even when it isn't completely accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

your computer has various protocols that it uses to communicate with other devices across a network like http, ssh, telnet, etc. On a basic level, those ports are used by your computer as ears and mouths that recieve and speak requests. There are a set number of permanent ports and basically unlimited temporary ports that can be created. Most major protocols have agreed upon ports that will be expecting to recieve specific protocol communications. Closing your ports means you cannot send or recieve out of them. This is commonly a security measure, as bad requests can be made or recieved from malware or threat actors if you aren't careful.

For example, whenever you try to access a component of a website, your computer will send a http(s) protocol request out of port 80/443 to the web server hosts port 80/443 to try to download that component. The server will respond out of those same ports to your computer.

For security, and if a device doesn't need to be accessing the internet, you could disable 80/443 to prevent it from hearing or recieving http(s) requests

This is very broad so I'd advise doing your own reading for the specifics and for more about protocols.

e. And as said above, I'm assuming port in a network protocol communication context. I'd do independent reading on the specific topic.