Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I also don't think I've gone down that alt-right path, I'm not sitting here linking Milo or Brietbart, I'm linking liberal academics. It has almost become a conservative stance when you criticize PC culture. Which I am not really a conservative, so the alt-right thing seems kind of like a massive jump to conclusions. I'm probably more liberal than conservative, imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
White ppl are evil tho.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Like I don't agree with many things Milo says but I will defend his right to say whatever he wants. That's almost a conservative viewpoint these days, when 30 years ago in Berkeley it was a pretty liberal stance.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
actually now might be a good time for me to ask: are there certain race/gender/income requirements for me to be allowed to view Worldstarhiphop videos? Will the same requirements exist for leaving comments on the videos, or will they be more strict since now im more than a bystander and am contributing ideas or approval/disapproval of the actions taken in the videos

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Yeah GBA I wasn't saying you were going alt-right or anything, I'm just saying that when you choose to argue hard against this stuff specifically you have to be very careful that you don't end up appearing alt-right to a lot of people. I know you enough to know you aren't; though you also probably don't care that much if someone jumps to that conclusion I guess.

fwiw I rarely encounter this kind of poo poo in real life. I only really see it on twitter and online. If I ended up in a real life situation where someone told me "you don't get to talk here" or whatever, I would just leave.

edit: Right now, as we speak, China is picking a fight with North Korea. North Korea sucks, but of all the things this country could expend resources on, is talking tough and starting fights with NK the wisest thing to do atm? Same for arguing with political opinions...of all the dumb awful political opinions people have, is arguing that "you hate Trump for thew wrong reasons" worth fighting over?

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 18, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I don't really think any of this is worth arguing over. I don't argue this poo poo with most people. It's just my beliefs. and bad day broth it up so I figured I'd hop on this unused soapbox and type out some of my ideas and see how they landed.

I appreciate the feedback

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

angel opportunity posted:

Yeah GBA I wasn't saying you were going alt-right or anything, I'm just saying that when you choose to argue hard against this stuff specifically you have to be very careful that you don't end up appearing alt-right to a lot of people. I know you enough to know you aren't; though you also probably don't care that much if someone jumps to that conclusion I guess.

fwiw I rarely encounter this kind of poo poo in real life. I only really see it on twitter and online. If I ended up in a real life situation where someone told me "you don't get to talk here" or whatever, I would just leave.

edit: Right now, as we speak, China is picking a fight with North Korea. North Korea sucks, but of all the things this country could expend resources on, is talking tough and starting fights with NK the wisest thing to do atm? Same for arguing with political opinions...of all the dumb awful political opinions people have, is arguing that "you hate Trump for thew wrong reasons" worth fighting over?

This FTW!!!!

The Great Autismo! posted:

I don't really think any of this is worth arguing over. I don't argue this poo poo with most people. It's just my beliefs. and bad day broth it up so I figured I'd hop on this unused soapbox and type out some of my ideas and see how they landed.

I appreciate the feedback

You gotta work on your material a bit more before you tke it public IMHO.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
No better place to try it out than in front of my quasi anonymous internet buddies IMO

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Nice anonymity you got there

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ugh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What's the problem? That's a very handsome picture

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

fart simpson posted:

What's the problem? That's a very handsome picture
Very humor and handsurm.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

These are the people destroying the left and why even I, someone who thinks Bernie Sanders is too moderate, don't like being lumped with liberals anymore.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
What's RT

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Russian news network.

Retweet

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Grand Fromage posted:

These are the people destroying the left and why even I, someone who thinks Bernie Sanders is too moderate, don't like being lumped with liberals anymore.

They're annoying people but the actual people destroying the left are the Democrats

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

fart simpson posted:

They're annoying people but the actual people destroying the left are the Democrats

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
It's true though. All the boomers are freaking out. Their whole lives were built around this delusion of respectability and morality in governance and all that Aaron Sorkin West Wing poo poo that never really existed means absolutely nothing now. They feel crushed. And since feelings are facts now that means they're being oppressed too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

fart simpson posted:

There's more to the world than electoral politics. The right did it very effectively, they shat up the culture for decades and it ultimately paid huge dividends. Creating an exclusionary holier than thou culture cut into pieces that all fight each other over ideological purity is not good for anyone and will destroy any chance of making our ideas attractive.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

What really happened is right wing economic policies got adopted even by the supposed left and normal people have been neglected and are voting in inexperienced populists to give the finger to the establishment. The left is naturally more ideologically fragmented than the right and has been forever, but it's largely economics that are actually driving stuff. Bernie would have won because he's an anti-establishment populist, Trump did win because he's an anti-establishment populist, right or left matters less than that.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

What really happened is right wing economic policies got adopted even by the supposed left and normal people have been neglected and are voting in inexperienced populists to give the finger to the establishment. The left is naturally more ideologically fragmented than the right and has been forever, but it's largely economics that are actually driving stuff. Bernie would have won because he's an anti-establishment populist, Trump did win because he's an anti-establishment populist, right or left matters less than that.

correct, at least the republicans figured that out at some point in the process, the democrats still haven't figured it out lol!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Great Autismo! posted:

correct, at least the republicans figured that out at some point in the process, the democrats still haven't figured it out lol!

The Democrats know exactly what's going on and they decided they'd rather risk losing than risk Bernie Sanders winning.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
The Republicans didn't "figure that out".

Did you follow the primaries at all or are you just trolling at this point?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The Republicans got taken over by the monster they unleashed in the 80s that has finally matured into utter loving madness.

I don't know why anyone was surprised the Democrats didn't want their party to be represented by a man who is not a Democrat, as much as I wanted it to happen and it seems like most Dem operatives at this point admit Bernie had a better chance.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

The Republicans didn't "figure that out".

Did you follow the primaries at all or are you just trolling at this point?

:angel:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

To return to, you know, Chinese stuff: The in laws have been known to drink apple cider vinegar from time to time. Is this a thing over there?

Edit for clarity

Warbird fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 19, 2017

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Warbird posted:

To return to, you know, Chinese stuff: The in laws have been known to drink apple cider vinegar for funnies from time to time. Is this a thing over there?

I don't know if you mean "funnies" like getting high, but a LOT of people drink apple cider vinegar for it's supposed health benefits

Warbird
May 23, 2012

My experience with it usually has it being diluted/mixed before drinking. It's the first time I've seen someone do it straight, no chaser. It wasn't terrible when I tried it, but I'm not sure I'd go out of my way to do so again.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Is 青汁 green vitamin juice popular in CHINA
?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Warbird posted:

To return to, you know, Chinese stuff: The in laws have been known to drink apple cider vinegar from time to time. Is this a thing over there?

Edit for clarity

Vinegar drinks are a thing, yes

I don't know about straight vinegar because I am not an old.

It could be weird behavior on an individual level. I know someone who swears up and down that baked beams are supposed to be eaten cold (despite what the label says) and I had a psychopathic Italian housemate who used to snort vodka that he kept in the freezer after every meal.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 19, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

simplefish posted:

It could be weird behavior on an individual level. I know someone who swears up and down that baked beams are supposed to be eaten cold (despite what the label says)

splash a little jet fuel on there?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The drinking vinegars are pretty good but not the same thing at all as just straight vinegar, do they not know?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Some of the stuff you see on the shelf that says "Apple Cider Vinegar" is really just Apple juice.

Also I'm pretty sure that Jew's Ear Juice isn't made from real Jews but some kind of mushroom or fungus.

bad day fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 19, 2017

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Jew Ear is a good one because normally it means a type of mushroom but I've seen it as a translation of 'pig's ear' before

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Apple cider vinegar is pretty popular in local traditional "can't hurt" type health stuff here in Canada, far as I can see.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

My aunt is a "health food" nut and has been drinking apple cider vinegar as long as I can remember.

peanut posted:

Is 青汁 green vitamin juice popular in CHINA
?

no. only yakult is here.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Oh hey, there's another China thread, I always forget about this one.

bad day posted:

I consider myself a postmodernist but think that everyone's perspective (including mine) is equally useless.

So, like, my experience isn't more valid than yours, because nobody cares what you think either. Not really. Here, smoke this.

Wouldn't the real po'mo' perspective be that "valid" isn't really a thing?
If the people TGA is complaining 'bout are just using a different totalising system, they're not postmodern at all...

Relatedly, I just finished teaching some undergrads Gödel's first incompleteness theorem, which pre-dates most of the postmodernists by a few decades, anticipates pretty much what they were saying.... and doesn't seem to be cited as an influence by any of them. Weird.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Hush, I'm running out of weird inlaw stuff to derail the derails with. At least wait a few months so I can stock back up.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Warbird posted:

Edit for clarity

It's actually really good for you and a lot of hippies do it. I have one friend who swears she can control her PCOS with it.

But definitely spring for the good stuff if you do it; the drinking vinegar here is, as someone else said, pretty much just corn syrup with apple flavoring, AKA juice. (I hate fuckin' juice, man.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It's actually really good for you and a lot of hippies do it. I have one friend who swears she can control her PCOS with it.

But definitely spring for the good stuff if you do it; the drinking vinegar here is, as someone else said, pretty much just corn syrup with apple flavoring, AKA juice. (I hate fuckin' juice, man.)

FYI nobody else* in the world calls that juice except America. Juice elsewhere is actually made of juice, or else they have to label it as 'a juice drink' and even then it needs to have some % of juice.

It took me loving ages to realise why Americans said juice was so unhealthy. Like sure, even pure fruit juice has loads of sugar but it isn't just e-numbers and HFCS and water.

Not meant as a dig, I don't go in for that, just in case any other eurotrash like me is confused by 'AKA juice'

*ok I'm sure other places do too but Europe doesnt