Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:snype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

this is also after a screen in which its white text on a black bg lol

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

graph posted:

you missed the best one

i'm the links that look like a paragraph of random copy

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Metrication posted:

let's place bets on wether or not this will end up in the release version

i'm in $100 for 'lol yes'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i know the answer is "lol, microsoft" but seriously

how the gently caress do you get from the clean, functional, if a little goofy metro UI of winpho7 to this abomination in only two major revisions?

who the gently caress spent the last four years watching this byzantine clusterfuck of directionless poo poo accreting on their platform and said, yes, this is what we want to ship?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lysidas posted:

also usually need ISO images to install into VMs, i dont think i have ever successfully booted a vmware vm from a usb drive

its actually real easy to do this?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

graph posted:

this is also after a screen in which its white text on a black bg lol

they keep switching between white on black and black on white for some reason even though the article says the phone's theme color is purple lol

they basically did the same thing on desktop. "don't like our new design? oh well fucker, less choices for you now"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Metrication posted:

im general cortana

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

im not available in your market

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

graph posted:

you missed the best one

I'm actually going to use this for an internal blog post about whitespace, thanks microsoft

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

another update hits the fan https://isc.sans.edu/diary/Microsoft+February+Patch+Failures+Continue%3A+KB3023607+vs.+Cisco+AnyConnect+Client/19331

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Search
SafeSearch

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
"Hello there Dr. Pizza, what will your first sequence of the day be?"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lol

did they pull this one too?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Cocoa Crispies posted:

"Hello there Dr. Pizza, what will your first sequence of the day be?"

Can I get a printout of Ballmer sweating?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

Can I get a printout of Ballmer sweating?

Cortana, is there any way you can generate a nude cortana ejaculating on a bowl of weetabix?

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

update rollup 5 for dpm 2012 r2 causes the console to hang hours (or a couple of reboots) after the update. the backup jobs still run.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

getting rid of all their testers was a great idea. the lols just continue

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

beta tested in the future!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

getting rid of all their testers was a great idea. the lols just continue

yeah but they saved a bunch of money a few quarters ago surely there will be no repercussions for that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MrMoo posted:

beta tested in the future!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

qirex posted:

yeah but they saved a bunch of money a few quarters ago surely there will be no repercussions for that

execs already got their bonuses, now when they hire new QA people the execs can get bonuses again for solving the problem

thanks business degree

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

infernal machines posted:

i know the answer is "lol, microsoft" but seriously

how the gently caress do you get from the clean, functional, if a little goofy metro UI of winpho7 to this abomination in only two major revisions?

who the gently caress spent the last four years watching this byzantine clusterfuck of directionless poo poo accreting on their platform and said, yes, this is what we want to ship?

You take the well designed phone interface and then force it into a tablet and desktop paradigm. Then, when it turns out that doesn't work at all, you hack in adjustments to the design to make it less awful on the desktop. Then, in the name of consistency, you force all of that poo poo backwards onto the phone.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
it's like getting feedback from a sewage line

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Phoenixan posted:

it's like getting feedback from a sewage line

if i didn't love this thread's title already i'd say this would be a contender

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
there is an Iain M Banks novel where the badguy protagonists hijack like a 50km long seagoing ship and it crashes into a continent sized glacier or something and it takes them like 15 minutes to figure out what's in the process of happening and how truly hosed they are and that kinda seems like what is happening watching microsoft eat itself over the course of the past 5-10 years

also shortly after that one of the dudes jumps off the edge of something rly tall and has some sort of anti-gravity jetpack that doesn't engage because lol you fuckin idiot you're on a rotating space station not a gravity well and then some other guy gets hella mad and sets off a backpack nuke that he's carrying around, idk how that fits in to this metaphor but i'm sure it can be made to

anybody happen to know which book this is? it sounds like weird fever dream poo poo so maybe i just imagined that i read this book idk.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

there is an Iain M Banks novel where the badguy protagonists hijack like a 50km long seagoing ship and it crashes into a continent sized glacier or something and it takes them like 15 minutes to figure out what's in the process of happening and how truly hosed they are and that kinda seems like what is happening watching microsoft eat itself over the course of the past 5-10 years

also shortly after that one of the dudes jumps off the edge of something rly tall and has some sort of anti-gravity jetpack that doesn't engage because lol you fuckin idiot you're on a rotating space station not a gravity well and then some other guy gets hella mad and sets off a backpack nuke that he's carrying around, idk how that fits in to this metaphor but i'm sure it can be made to

anybody happen to know which book this is? it sounds like weird fever dream poo poo so maybe i just imagined that i read this book idk.

consider Phlebas

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

that's in consider phlebas [not the best one but that scene owns a lot]

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

my rear end in a top hat has been lose all day and poo poo is just sliding out of my rear end in a top hat all dang day!!!!!!!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

double dip posted:

my rear end in a top hat has been lose all day and poo poo is just sliding out of my rear end in a top hat all dang day!!!!!!!

guess you ate...a banini

yeeeeaaaaaahhhhhhhh

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

thats how people tend to react to reading thurrott.com

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kegels bro, kegels

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

"Bro kegels" - the hot new trend sweeping silicon valley.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

"Bro kegels" - the hot new trend sweeping silicon valley.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Good-bye-Depression-Constrict-Everyday/dp/0595094724

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i'm becoming a broken record here but "let's fire all the qa people" lol

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008

duTrieux. posted:

it's very likely that that was not a microsoft employee, but rather a third-party contractor that specializes in product evangelization. depending on where this was, probably sourced through mosaic

the one i ended up going to the guy did a q&a at the end and when the hard questions started rolling in he had to tell them he actually had no idea and he wasnt 'an engineer'

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

carry on then posted:

Program Files (x86)

syswow64 lmao

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

tile sizes are user set, i don't believe you can enforce a min or max size, you just have to provide assets for each possible size

you can prevent them from being semi-transparent now apparently

You could always have a lovely non modern ui icon for your app that didnt color theme match / go transparent if you wanted. Even Microsoft still has a few that are in the modern ui style, but won't match the color theme or do the transparent background thing (gently caress u ms). The only stuff they really changed on the main screen is double height medium tiles, double height large tiles, and whatever the gently caress that music hub thing is (I assume its all just one button and brings xbox music and podcasts together, again, after they already separated them in 8.1).

That guy has the worst setup. All medium sized tiles and up like hes designing a windows phone for Jitterbug

also

Is sadly an improvement over the current settings menu

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Feb 14, 2015

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
God damnit, Windows Phone is one ugly phone OS: Old-rear end Android 2.3 Gingerbread seems downright beautiful in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I really liked my Windows phone until seeing what it will become in the future.

This must be what having a child is like.

• Locked thread