Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Lately I've seen a lot of people ragging on MLU for the same reason, and at first I thought "huh, that's odd I've used that for years and never had a problem with it."
And then I went through my mod list and realized almost half of it are various MLU patches/compatibility mods, and I used using the "scaled down" version to start with.

i don't know if MLU has other bloat, but aren't compatibility patches expected for something that overhauls leveled lists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Rinkles posted:

i don't know if MLU has other bloat, but aren't compatibility patches expected for something that overhauls leveled lists?

Yeah but half of these patches usually end up turning off a change MLU did to some perk or crafting system.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

I've enjoyed/tolerated MLU well enough (I'm not entirely sure I'd still be using it if it weren't part of this list, but eh), but I do go in and change the things that particularly annoy me, namely the crafting requirements. gently caress no, I'm not doing Dragonborn just to be able to craft a piece of daedric, and I'm not trotting over to the Skyforge to make ebony either.

The other big problem with MLU that's glaring at me this time is that it's so hard to get glass/ebony ore that by the time you can make daedric you might as well just keep going and craft dragonbone/scale, as those are easily obtainable. Even moreso if you're running Ordinator (I am) where dragon armor requires the same skill level as daedric. I know this is because it wants to make things like Morrowind where you largely have to go scrounge for the higher tier armors, but 1. ebony (and I think rarely daedric, it's been a while) would, in fact, drop from random monsters above a certain level, and 2. the last thing I'd say about Morrowind is that anything about it was balanced or particularly reasonable.That was part of its charm.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

kartikeya posted:

I've enjoyed/tolerated MLU well enough (I'm not entirely sure I'd still be using it if it weren't part of this list, but eh), but I do go in and change the things that particularly annoy me, namely the crafting requirements. gently caress no, I'm not doing Dragonborn just to be able to craft a piece of daedric, and I'm not trotting over to the Skyforge to make ebony either.

The other big problem with MLU that's glaring at me this time is that it's so hard to get glass/ebony ore that by the time you can make daedric you might as well just keep going and craft dragonbone/scale, as those are easily obtainable. Even moreso if you're running Ordinator (I am) where dragon armor requires the same skill level as daedric. I know this is because it wants to make things like Morrowind where you largely have to go scrounge for the higher tier armors, but 1. ebony (and I think rarely daedric, it's been a while) would, in fact, drop from random monsters above a certain level, and 2. the last thing I'd say about Morrowind is that anything about it was balanced or particularly reasonable.That was part of its charm.

Funnily enough, the strict crafting station/table requirements kind of turned me off of Ordinator and switch over to Vokrii. I didn’t like having to go to Skyforge to craft anything related to Ebony and I also didn’t like having to go to the College to enchant or make any potions either.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Funnily enough, the strict crafting station/table requirements kind of turned me off of Ordinator and switch over to Vokrii. I didn’t like having to go to Skyforge to craft anything related to Ebony and I also didn’t like having to go to the College to enchant or make any potions either.

Do you mean the ability to make an advanced station that some perks give? I'm otherwise not sure what you're referring to.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

kartikeya posted:

Do you mean the ability to make an advanced station that some perks give? I'm otherwise not sure what you're referring to.

Yeah ordinator even lets you change which crafting table grants those bonuses for just like gold.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm still using SPERG because it does interesting things with perks, but doesn't go beyond that, really. Ordinator turned me off both because of the stuff you guys mentioned here, as well as it's love of conditional combat perks.

I'm not opposed to conditional perks but from what I remember of Ordinator it's got a lot of "on the second Tuesday of the 6th lunar month, at 8pm, swinging your sword left and then bashing with your shield to the beat of Staying Alive by the Bee Gees while singing Ave Maria in dovah, making a pizza, and filing your taxes gives you a 0.00000000001% chance to crit if the target is afflicted with moon sickness which is caused by..."

Like... I get why you want to try to expand on conditionals, but this is Skyrim, not loving D&D. It doesn't model combat well enough to get away with complex poo poo.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Gonkish posted:

I'm still using SPERG because it does interesting things with perks, but doesn't go beyond that, really. Ordinator turned me off both because of the stuff you guys mentioned here, as well as it's love of conditional combat perks.

I'm not opposed to conditional perks but from what I remember of Ordinator it's got a lot of "on the second Tuesday of the 6th lunar month, at 8pm, swinging your sword left and then bashing with your shield to the beat of Staying Alive by the Bee Gees while singing Ave Maria in dovah, making a pizza, and filing your taxes gives you a 0.00000000001% chance to crit if the target is afflicted with moon sickness which is caused by..."

Like... I get why you want to try to expand on conditionals, but this is Skyrim, not loving D&D. It doesn't model combat well enough to get away with complex poo poo.

I prefer SPERG just because it's incredibly no-frills. I find it difficult to play without it now.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Haven't played Skyrim in a few years, but SPERG was, to me, a core part of the game. Felt wrong if it wasn't there.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Enai seems to love the conditional sort of stuff. The enchantment mod does a ton of this stuff but tbh its difficult to say whether it works or not half time time.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Don't know if this is the correct thread but hey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wLoG-SClXU

I've been enjoying this user's "relaxing walk" videos and loved having this one at 1440p while reading/studying. He uses a ENB and some mod or cvar to not get targetted by enemies. Really cool to have it as background.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

the console command is "tai"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

the console command is "tai"

Or “tcai” to just turn off everything’s combat ai without freezing them in place like tai does.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's really cool to know if I ever just want to wander around without breaking the AI

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

So when I say I typically avoid fast travel and walk everywhere I genuinely mean walk. Even on a horse. This is an incredibly weird and time consuming thing to do, and sometimes I just feel like bouncing to the destination (so I don't care for mods that want to force me to do things like that, I like the opportunity to do whatever), but it does make for some very chill and atmospheric pauses between fighting rando (INVISIBLE PROBABLY) bandits and wolves. Going slow enough to hear a sabre cat rumbling before you get close enough for it to pounce is appropriately intimidating. And oh boy does the map feel huge.

I can't advocate for it simply because it takes a good long while to do anything requiring you to travel any distance, but I've been doing it in various bethesda (and New Vegas) games for a while now, and it definitely contributes to the atmosphere. The Fallout games in particular, actually.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

SPERG has been my standby ever since it first was made. It has a lot of interesting / useful perks while not being too heavy handed. If I ever actually do install AE or not depends on if SPERG ever supports it.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

SPERG is the best by far for your general do everything Skyrim run. The other perk mods have stronger points for specific playstyles (like Ordinator for stealth), but SPERG is the most coherent/fun overall if you aren't leaning into that.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I used to use SPERG back in my Oldrim days.
I'm using Adamant now, it feels like a good alternative to SPERG and in the same vein.
Does SPERG still need SKSE? because that's what will break on the update, otherwise it should be fine.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Does SPERG still force that auto-cleave perk on you if you go Two-Handed? That was the only thing that made me switch to Ordinator and then later Vokrii, I kept killing followers with it and it annoyed me so much I just uninstalled it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

kartikeya posted:

So when I say I typically avoid fast travel and walk everywhere I genuinely mean walk. Even on a horse. This is an incredibly weird and time consuming thing to do, and sometimes I just feel like bouncing to the destination (so I don't care for mods that want to force me to do things like that, I like the opportunity to do whatever), but it does make for some very chill and atmospheric pauses between fighting rando (INVISIBLE PROBABLY) bandits and wolves. Going slow enough to hear a sabre cat rumbling before you get close enough for it to pounce is appropriately intimidating. And oh boy does the map feel huge.

I can't advocate for it simply because it takes a good long while to do anything requiring you to travel any distance, but I've been doing it in various bethesda (and New Vegas) games for a while now, and it definitely contributes to the atmosphere. The Fallout games in particular, actually.

I never fast traveled in Skyrim and a couple of my buddies couldn't even understand the concept. Like they kept explaining how I could and what it did.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Does SPERG still force that auto-cleave perk on you if you go Two-Handed? That was the only thing that made me switch to Ordinator and then later Vokrii, I kept killing followers with it and it annoyed me so much I just uninstalled it.

I dunno but you could always do something like this in the console.

help "perkname" to get the perk ID
player.removeperk (ID here)

Or something close to that, I might have messed up the syntax since it's been awhile.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I don't think I've ever managed to keep followers alive with any build without installing a friendly fire disabling mod

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
It is rather silly that 'no friendly fire' in vanilla is gated behind a less-than-obvious quest in a mine on Solstheim. One that's fairly long and IIRC has a fairly high floor for the level of enemies.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I have never managed to kill companions despite using AOE spells all the time.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Leal posted:

I have never managed to kill companions despite using AOE spells all the time.

That's because they can be absolute beasts sometimes

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
When I did qwest, I started off with a heavy armor/block focused build. Combat was rough but manageable, once a had a few perks in armor and block I was good. Since then I started a craft only build, which I knew would be tough, but the enchants, armor improvements and potions really help. Still needed to rely on have at least two companions.

This run I’m trying a conjuration(necromancy) and alteration build and I’m getting my poo poo pushed in WITH every difficulty mod I can find turned off. My summons don’t really grab aggro, and they can’t stand up to being rushed by every mob in a dungeon. Never had this much trouble using ordinator before. I started a new sneak one handed build to see how that goes.

Zosologist
Mar 30, 2007
cross posting from the vr thread. What vr wabbajack list should I play? It's been a while since I played and I've no desire to stick close to vanilla. Lots of new content, preferably of not atrocious quality. I've never played skyrim vr vanilla but that seems fine.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jesus christ I can get killed if two skeevers attack at the same time. Anyone want $20 to make a wabbajack list for me? I am old and decades of undiagnosed adhd means I no longer have the focus to make a nonbuggy mod list.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
How balanced is SPERG compared to something like ordinator? Ordinator has that thing where after a while you gain way too much power when yo go into one skill tree. I am currently using CORI and MISTI for class archetypes and general levelling.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Balanced? No not really. It's fun as hell though. If you want balance usually you are better off not worrying about your perk mod and just choosing mods to counterbalance your perk/magic/combat mods (or going with something like Requiem). I don't think any of the perk mods are balanced very well against vanilla difficulty

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Sperg isn’t balanced but generally you get more powerful by going deeper into multiple skills instead of really deep in one which makes it fun to level no matter what skill it is.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I'm noticing (e: almost) nobody here is bringing up Vokrii, why is that? It's a lightweight perk mod made by the Ordinator guy because he didn't like how cumbersome its predecessor had gotten.

I'd imagine it fills a similar role to SPERG, is that not the case?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
If I recall right, SPERG was goon made, so a lot of people hold an extra dose of affection for it.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I tried vokrii but I found it kinda boring honestly. It still keeps some of the finicky perks where you have to do X with Y and then Z happens without any of the craziness that you can get into with ordinator. But then ordinator just feels like it has way too much nonsense. Sperg strikes a nice balance between the two.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012
I prefer Ordinator to Vokrii. I like having tons of spells, and don't mind mods that aren't trying to be too vanilla. Both are good mods though.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The only perk mod you need is Vokriinator Black

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/26702

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I still like Sperg because pretty much every perk is useful and fun. Every other perk mod falls short on providing that. Either by having so many perks that getting one doesn't feel like a big deal, making them very numbers based, etc. Plus Sperg really rewards picking multiple trees in a way no other mod does. When you get a perk in Sperg it's immediately noticable, feels powerful, and it's exciting. The perks themselves are fun, whereas other perk packs perks are just steps to getting to a fun build.

Granted not every tree is that good in Sperg, but it's out of development.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 11, 2021

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Now this is my kind of mod.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Ten years of this goddamn game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there any way to recreate a save automatically with new mods? Like create a new character and then batch issue console commands to add items, set quest stages, etc