Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Falls short of the very high bar set by warcraft reforged, but still pretty embarrassing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Got that Skyrim itch again with the new edition coming out soon and am trying to build a stable and graphic-intensive SKSE modlist to essentially use the game as a relaxing vacation simulator - i've got most of the world stuff sorted but I'm having trouble on deciding what the people should be like. Especially hair-wise since the vanilla textures and meshes are so, so bad. On the other hand, the most popular mods like KS and Apachjii add like 800+ new hairstyles when I'm realistically only ever going to use one, and the NPC's could do with a few dozen styles at most. Also, those hugely popular packs all seem to be impossibly glamorous cat-walk models whereas I'm going for more of a fantasy camping trip vibe, I think.

Anyone have any suggestions on "immersive" hair meshes/textures that wont char everyone's faces? And maybe some sort of bodymod that at least tries to approach things realistically and doesn't break every single armour out there, though my hopes on that front aren't very high.

Currently using ECE, and Total Character makeover, but I haven't actually started playing yet* so I'm fine to change those out for something better.

*Unless modding Skyrim counts as playing it, which it probably should :V

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Helith posted:

It's only going to break SKSE and SKSE dependent mods, everything else will be ok.

It's still bad, lots of good mods use SKSE but it's not a total disaster.

SKSE will almost certainly get updated. It just means a lot of poo poo will be broken for a while.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Skwirl posted:

SKSE will almost certainly get updated. It just means a lot of poo poo will be broken for a while.

Didn't the SKSE folks say an update to the extender won't be enough, mods will also have to be updated?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rinkles posted:

Didn't the SKSE folks say an update to the extender won't be enough, mods will also have to be updated?

I think that's been true every time SKSE has been updated.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Got that Skyrim itch again with the new edition coming out soon and am trying to build a stable and graphic-intensive SKSE modlist to essentially use the game as a relaxing vacation simulator - i've got most of the world stuff sorted but I'm having trouble on deciding what the people should be like. Especially hair-wise since the vanilla textures and meshes are so, so bad. On the other hand, the most popular mods like KS and Apachjii add like 800+ new hairstyles when I'm realistically only ever going to use one, and the NPC's could do with a few dozen styles at most. Also, those hugely popular packs all seem to be impossibly glamorous cat-walk models whereas I'm going for more of a fantasy camping trip vibe, I think.

Anyone have any suggestions on "immersive" hair meshes/textures that wont char everyone's faces? And maybe some sort of bodymod that at least tries to approach things realistically and doesn't break every single armour out there, though my hopes on that front aren't very high.

Currently using ECE, and Total Character makeover, but I haven't actually started playing yet* so I'm fine to change those out for something better.

*Unless modding Skyrim counts as playing it, which it probably should :V

You could take a look at Salt and Wind for vanilla hairs which just changes the hair textures and pair that with Realistic Hair Colours to improve the vanilla hair without adding new meshes. For beards there’s Beards

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/45147

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10783

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1067

For clothes and armour check out sforzinda’s variations, it tweaks vanilla textures and meshes but uses the vanilla body. It’s really high quality and I love it for a vanilla plus playthrough. It removes boobplate on women too

https://sforzmods.tumblr.com/sse_variations

Helith fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Nov 6, 2021

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

kartikeya posted:

So my question is if there are other quest mods that you guys would recommend.

Clockwork. I really liked this.

Legacy of the Dragonborn has quests (and a lot besides). Can't imagine playing without this now.

Beyond Bruma. It's nice to have a new place to wander around, and there are a few quests. Not hugely interesting quests, but those are rare in Skyrim.

Helgen reborn has quests, but I was less impressed. Quests mostly standard 'go and kill', but there's one where you go to a brothel (yawn), and while you don't have to have sex with the woman there (who talks in the most nauseating 'hello big boy' way), it saves you money if you do. Incredible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

Clockwork. I really liked this.

Legacy of the Dragonborn has quests (and a lot besides). Can't imagine playing without this now.

Beyond Bruma. It's nice to have a new place to wander around, and there are a few quests. Not hugely interesting quests, but those are rare in Skyrim.

Helgen reborn has quests, but I was less impressed. Quests mostly standard 'go and kill', but there's one where you go to a brothel (yawn), and while you don't have to have sex with the woman there (who talks in the most nauseating 'hello big boy' way), it saves you money if you do. Incredible.

Helge Reborn is hit or miss, I find, but the reward for finishing it—ie: your own entire town, is pretty decent and worth sticking it through. Also it’s got a certain level of charm to it beyond the weird brothel thing, which I think is actually optional, maybe? It’s be a while since I last played through it.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

nine-gear crow posted:

the weird brothel thing, which I think is actually optional, maybe?

You have to have the cringeful conversation with the sex worker, but you can pay her to simply tell you the answer. She will charge more for this than for two nights of sex. It's indefensible I think. But yes, if I didn't have Legacy of the Dragonborn the town with the armoury and creature display would be pretty cool.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Orange Crush Rush posted:

just remember to turn off those updates folks, and probably back up your mods or something

I backed up my entire Skyrim SE folder just in case.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

So some Wabbajack modlists have started using the "Stock Game" system, wherein they make their own separate copy of the Skyrim folder, exe and all. That way nothing is added or modified in the original Skyrim folder. The intention is to make it so you don't have to reinstall the game whenever you try out a new modlist, and to allow you to keep several concurrent modlists on your machine without risk of overlap.

What I've just realized, is that if the upcoming Skyrim update does manage to get itself installed, it wouldn't actually affect already-installed Wabbajack modlists using the Stock Game system. They already have their own Skyrim.exe and all the rest.

aarstar
Mar 7, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

So some Wabbajack modlists have started using the "Stock Game" system, wherein they make their own separate copy of the Skyrim folder, exe and all. That way nothing is added or modified in the original Skyrim folder. The intention is to make it so you don't have to reinstall the game whenever you try out a new modlist, and to allow you to keep several concurrent modlists on your machine without risk of overlap.

What I've just realized, is that if the upcoming Skyrim update does manage to get itself installed, it wouldn't actually affect already-installed Wabbajack modlists using the Stock Game system. They already have their own Skyrim.exe and all the rest.

Yea, I was recently thinking the same thing. Seems like a bunch of them do this now.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Commander Keene posted:

Even better; the new version breaks all the mods even if you don't pay for it - but you don't get the new stuff unless you do. This is a masterstroke of evil.

It’s not evil, it’s the inevitable and necessary consequence of moving to tooling which isn’t completely archaic.

I agree the new edition thing is ugh all around and I’ve no intention of buying it anytime soon, and obviously breaking mods sucks. But it’s hardly malicious.

zhar
May 3, 2019

ThaumPenguin posted:

im surprised bethesda is ok with people distributing the full game files

The Iron Rose posted:

It’s not evil, it’s the inevitable and necessary consequence of moving to tooling which isn’t completely archaic.

its necessary to integrate with game pass achievements from what ive read, i doubt they are still developing skyrim enough to need new tooling

e: vv ah fair enough i misread that

zhar fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 6, 2021

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
They don't distribute the files, wabbajack copies them from the game install.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

zhar posted:

im surprised bethesda is ok with people distributing the full game files

They don't, during the installation process they just make a copy of the Skyrim folder you've already got installed, probably with some safeguards to detect whether it's a truly clean install or not.

It's like how Tale of Two Wastelands copy/extract files from your Fallout 3 install without actually hosting any Fallout 3 files themselves.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They could have just made AE a new store entry instead of updating SE on Steam.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

cheesetriangles posted:

They could have just made AE a new store entry instead of updating SE on Steam.

That’s largely what they did do. It’s basically just DLC for SE, that comes with an update to support that DLC. It sucks how it was implemented and the way it’s messing up mods, but it’s not like it’s abnormal to do updates in conjunction with DLC releases in a world where Crusader Kings and Iron Hearts exists

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kartikeya posted:

So I'm poking around with an attempt at a modified version of Lexy's, and I'm wondering about quest mods. I really haven't done any quest mods before, but since I'm doing LotD, it seems a good chance to actually see what's out there. Lexy's list contains:

Falskaar
Konahrik's Accountrements
Moonpath to Elseweyr
Moon and Star (I'm not going to use this one)
Teldryn Serious
Gray Cowl of Nocturnal
The Forgotten City
The Tools of Kagrenac
Wyrmstooth
Interesting NPCs (probably not using this one either)
Popular Follower Mods(tm)

So my question is if there are other quest mods that you guys would recommend. For instance, I've heard good things about Vigilant, but one glance at screenshots shows that at least visually it is very, ahem, inspired by Dark Souls. Now, I like me some Dark Souls, but Skyrim is not Dark Souls, and basically every attempt I've seen by modders to make it so has been a car crash of frustration. If Vigilant is built for that kind of thing, then I suspect I won't like it.

Ehhhhhh, I can anti-recommend several of those mods. I reviewed some of them. It was just ones I was playing in that particular game, so I'll add some:

I found Teldryn Serious COMPLETELY INCOHERENT. I know they were working with vanilla game voices and splicing them, but I felt like I was having a stroke for the entire mod. Seriously (ha), was that just me? I was never sure what anyone was saying, it all felt like malfunctioning robots. I will give them credit for a really cool burning boat rescue scene, but I'd prefer that in a mod where I could comprehend the dialog. Example: I convinced a guy to help me out at one point and we went back to Neloth to talk and Neloth just loving NUKES the guy following me out of NOWHERE and starts a dialog like nothing happened. Was this a bug or did they hate each other or something? I don't know! The dialog did not convey any information to me either way.

Moonpath to Elseweyr seems like something people just recommend for nostalgia. It was the first big Skyrim world mod, and it feels extremely dated. I played it once and wouldn't install it again, but I didn't exactly regret it? I just... You know, I've seen it, and that's enough. It's quite janky and typo-filled (though I think someone made a typo patch for those). The quest isn't worth doing and the lore's apparently very off if you care about that kind of thing. I'm not anti-recommending it, just modulate your expectations. I'd EASILY recommend it over Gray Cowl of Nocturnal if you wanna visit a warmer climate though. I never got angry at Moonpath.

I'd second Clockwork hard, it's all-around very good. Blackreach Railroad is also very fun.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

God, I really don't like Interesting NPCs.

Every other person you talk to has some new extremely jarring voice and just spends 10 minutes dumping their life story on you.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

Ehhhhhh, I can anti-recommend several of those mods. I reviewed some of them. It was just ones I was playing in that particular game, so I'll add some:

I found Teldryn Serious COMPLETELY INCOHERENT. I know they were working with vanilla game voices and splicing them, but I felt like I was having a stroke for the entire mod. Seriously (ha), was that just me? I was never sure what anyone was saying, it all felt like malfunctioning robots. I will give them credit for a really cool burning boat rescue scene, but I'd prefer that in a mod where I could comprehend the dialog. Example: I convinced a guy to help me out at one point and we went back to Neloth to talk and Neloth just loving NUKES the guy following me out of NOWHERE and starts a dialog like nothing happened. Was this a bug or did they hate each other or something? I don't know! The dialog did not convey any information to me either way.

Moonpath to Elseweyr seems like something people just recommend for nostalgia. It was the first big Skyrim world mod, and it feels extremely dated. I played it once and wouldn't install it again, but I didn't exactly regret it? I just... You know, I've seen it, and that's enough. It's quite janky and typo-filled (though I think someone made a typo patch for those). The quest isn't worth doing and the lore's apparently very off if you care about that kind of thing. I'm not anti-recommending it, just modulate your expectations. I'd EASILY recommend it over Gray Cowl of Nocturnal if you wanna visit a warmer climate though. I never got angry at Moonpath.

I'd second Clockwork hard, it's all-around very good. Blackreach Railroad is also very fun.

Thanks for that link! Yeah, most of your observations on those mods match up with my general impressions from other folks (and that's the reason I haven't actually played any of these before, quest mods are usually real poo poo, especially with voice acting). I'm going to try the ones Lexy has because it's generally less annoying than to take them out, but it's probably to hate play them. I'm tossing Moon and Star because I don't like the big twist (I hate that kind of thing in games), and Helgen Reborn because I just don't care, and it will otherwise just sit in my quest journal forever. I'll toss in Clockwork, I don't need or want another house mod, but it does look like fun.

I've never been terribly thrilled by Interesting NPCs, I threw it onto a game I played a few years back but never got very far in, and my impression from that was "why did you stick some random lol crazy dude in this empty hut I usually stopped at for camping?". This next go around with Lexy's (I've already got a mostly unmodded list I'm trying a game on, the one I'm working on right now is basically 'that, except without the poo poo that really annoys me'), and I only found it more annoying. The part that crossed the line was when I was sent to go kill some vampire, got there, and there was some argonian who 1. had already killed it, and 2. talked for what had to be at least twenty minutes while saying so little I actually don't even know if he was a vampire or not. And then, at the end, he was salty I didn't want him for a companion. After that I just started exiting out of conversations the instant they started rambling. I found a fair number that were interesting to have random conversations with, but even with those I usually didn't finish the dialogue, they just talk for so, so, so long without any real prompting. The one quest I tried doing from that mod I gave up on when some chef in a castle wanted me to go track down things like a tomato for him (I went into the next room and stole one out of his pantry), but also had a few items in that list that sounded like they would be really obnoxious to look for.

Frankly, more than anything Interesting NPCs reminds me of these two incredibly popular (or, at least they were at the time) mods for Oblivion. The first was an Argonian that would randomly stop to discuss philosophy, but in a very weird, boring way that suggested the author thought it was deeper than it was, and when he wasn't doing that he was being sad about something. I like me some angst, but his was a bit much. And then he died? But he came back without much fuss. The second was by the same author, and I didn't get any further than the start of the quest, where some old dude woke my character up to yell about how they were an amazing hero (I hadn't even gone to meet Baurus at that point), they must have some incredible bloodline, and that there was a birth mark on their foot.

I do also hate OBIS, so maybe I have poor taste (but I haaaate OBIS. 85% of my reason for building a more modified list is to ditch OBIS).

kartikeya fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 6, 2021

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
helgen reborn is also insanely buggy

i don't mind moonpath because it works so nicely with LOTD and it doesn't overstay its welcome in my mind

clockwork is like 2/3rds of a fantastic mod but i hate the backtracking and respawning enemies in the middle segment underground

really enjoying VIGILANT and can hard recommend as a really interesting attempt at Bloodborne in Skyrim

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish someone else would try rebuilding Helgen. I've just tripped up more than once, thinking "It'd be nice to rebuild that, maybe I can just power through the content and have it built" and then remembering the goddamn endless guard recruit training dungeon that felt like it took a full drat year, all the unskippable dialog full of bad Ahnold impersonations, and the uniquely pointless arena segment.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

kartikeya posted:

I do also hate OBIS, so maybe I have poor taste (but I haaaate OBIS. 85% of my reason for building a more modified list is to ditch OBIS).

OBIS is unmitigated garbage.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Agents are GO! posted:

OBIS is unmitigated garbage.

is that the one that makes every cave have two dozens bandits that come bum rushing me at level 1 and a couple of those guys are level 30?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Soonmot posted:

is that the one that makes every cave have two dozens bandits that come bum rushing me at level 1 and a couple of those guys are level 30?

Probably.

My experience with OBIS:

Level 1 - 5: Oh okay, these bandits murder me by breathing. Well, the modlist upped the difficulty and enemy level range, that's probably it. Kind of dumb, since bandits are who I'm supposed to be fighting at these levels.

Level 6 - 10: Okay, so these bandits are still murdering me by breathing. I'm still dead in a single hit if one of them lands a two handed power attack, I am guzzling health potions, and if I take out one from a distance, twenty of them come looking for me.

Level 10 - 20: So the bandits are nastier than the draugr in Bleak Falls Barrow?

Level 20+: No they're basically one-on-one nastier than all the other humanoid enemies I've encountered what the gently caress.

It's not just OBIS, I know, KYE makes it rougher, as do the other mods in that list; however those also make the other enemies rougher, and I still dread fighting a fort full of bandits over an entire dungeon full of falmer and chaurus. And it's not just that they're tougher and hit harder than they should, oh, oh no, my friends, this mod pulls the ultimate sin of putting in invisible enemies, a thing which I've never seen contribute positively to any gaming experience, and it does it with the most common enemy type in the game. There are invisible bandits in seemingly every camp. They're archers, naturally, and they can sit there and shoot at you all drat day while still being invisible. Or, I should say, there were invisible bandits until I took away their stupid invisibility rings.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
My OBIS experience isn’t nearly that bad, and I do like some of the variety of new bandits you get - like deserters and corrupt nobles.
Then you get the ones that are always permanently invisible, or their trained skeevers they must use to fight mammoths or something because they’re nigh invincible and could one shot god.

Every time I try it out it doesn’t take long to remember why I stopped using it though.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

My OBIS experience isn’t nearly that bad, and I do like some of the variety of new bandits you get - like deserters and corrupt nobles.
Then you get the ones that are always permanently invisible, or their trained skeevers they must use to fight mammoths or something because they’re nigh invincible and could one shot god.

Every time I try it out it doesn’t take long to remember why I stopped using it though.

lol, how did I forget the skeevers.

Yeah, I do like the variety (the were-bandits are a bit silly, but it's nice to see werewolves outside of quests), and I even liked the one time a vampire turned up in one of the forts, which was a nasty little surprise, but it's surrounded by so much garbage.

That sounds similar to my feelings toward Requiem. Every now and then I try it again, because I really want to like it, and then I abandon it shortly afterward. At least Wabbajack makes reminding myself why I don't like it much, much easier.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kartikeya posted:

lol, how did I forget the skeevers.

Yeah, I do like the variety (the were-bandits are a bit silly, but it's nice to see werewolves outside of quests), and I even liked the one time a vampire turned up in one of the forts, which was a nasty little surprise, but it's surrounded by so much garbage.

That sounds similar to my feelings toward Requiem. Every now and then I try it again, because I really want to like it, and then I abandon it shortly afterward. At least Wabbajack makes reminding myself why I don't like it much, much easier.

You can get that experience with Heritage, though that's fairly old and I hear they're redoing it. And it's without the insane power creep!

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Midnight Voyager posted:

You can get that experience with Heritage, though that's fairly old and I hear they're redoing it. And it's without the insane power creep!

They've released the first part of it, actually. I was looking it over the other day, but rando bandits using shouts seems like, while it might be mildly entertaining, it would irk me more often than not.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
OBIS is a great example of a good concept killed by ridiculous feature creep. I noped out once I saw that it created its own bespoke elemental arrows system or some poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

OBIS is a great example of a good concept killed by ridiculous feature creep. I noped out once I saw that it created its own bespoke elemental arrows system or some poo poo.

Not a Skyrim mod, but I felt the same way about Project Variety for Mass Effect 3; great concept that devolved into feature creep and weird choices on the part of the mod author that wound up literally crashing the game before it was just up and abandoned, still broken.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

I really want to know the thought process of "a mod that adds more bandit types for variety also has a bespoke elemental arrow system"

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I really want to know the thought process of "a mod that adds more bandit types for variety also has a bespoke elemental arrow system"

At a guess, a bandit gang with the gimmick of having elemental arrows.

Edit: I checked out the Nexus page for OBIS and it doesn't mention it so maybe it got removed :shrug:

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Nov 7, 2021

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I thought the author just tacked on a crafting system.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Because what Skyrim needed was more crafting systems.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I liked how when I finished clearing the first rush of bandits, exploiting map geography, and letting my companions and then another dozen spawned directly behind me.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Unless the mod has changed considerably in the last few versions you should be able to turn off all the extra spawns in the MCM.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I believe I did that when I was looking through the settings last time, but I haven't played in a few days since then.

Edit: Actually i think the mod that was really loving me was Genesis.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

GunnerJ posted:

Lately I've seen a lot of people ragging on MLU for the same reason, and at first I thought "huh, that's odd I've used that for years and never had a problem with it."
And then I went through my mod list and realized almost half of it are various MLU patches/compatibility mods, and I used using the "scaled down" version to start with.