Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
current desktop linux status: pressed a hot key that used to bring up a gnome file explorer window. now it resets (crashes?) the X Windows session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer toucher
Jan 8, 2012

Wheany posted:

Then again, do you really want to read documentation that was halfassedly translated in 2006 by a bored AMK student and hasn't been updated since?

absolutely not, so why leave that one word there to taunt me?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

linux is freedom

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregon-standoff/2016/01/david_fry_ohio_resident_who_ha.html#incart_river_home_pop posted:

David Fry, a 27-year-old Ohio resident who has posted "#Pray4ISIS" to his Google+ page, is among those involved in the militant standoff at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Burns.

Fry, who has also made a website supporting the standoff, said in an interview Tuesday night that he is not a supporter of the Islamic State. He characterized his Google+ page — which also includes the hashtag "#HitlerWasRight" and phrase "obama needs to be hung after being found guilty for TREASON!!" — as him "ranting off" and being facetious and sarcastic at times.

"The media is blowing this up and making me look like a bad guy, but I was just being sarcastic," he said. "I was being very offensive. That was the goal, to be very offensive."

Some posts — including those using the hashtags "#BombIsrael" and "#Pray4ISIS" — were deleted from the page Tuesday night.

Fry, who lives near Cincinnati, said he's at the refuge primarily because he thinks the world is beginning to fall apart — morally and physically — and that something needs to be done about it. He said he's concerned about the environment, particularly the health of the Pacific Ocean and its wildlife.

He said he has been at the refuge for about five days, as of Tuesday night, and plans to stay as long as he can.

David Fry of Ohio says he plans to stay at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge as long as he can.

"I felt like this was a good place to maybe make a change for America," he said.

Fry has a criminal record that includes convictions for possession of drugs and possession of marijuana drug paraphernalia, and having an insufficient number of life jackets while, he said, floating on a river in an inflatable raft.

Videos of him burning papers from a collection agency requesting payment of unpaid court debt are on a YouTube account in his name and another YouTube account with the username DefendYourBase.

The video from the latter account is included on a website that Fry said he put together using a personal computer while at the refuge.

He also has been on a computer at the refuge, he said, using a flash drive with the Linux Mint operating system on it. He said he doesn't have access to government data and isn't using the computer's operating system.

He said his goal for the website, defendyourbase.net, is to give people a single source where they can follow the developments at the refuge.

The website includes videos, including some from the refuge, "news feeds" and a "list of serious injustice." It also links to a page where visitors can purchase a novel, "Only by Blood and Suffering: Regaining Lost Freedom," by Robert "LaVoy" Finicum — a Northern Arizona rancher who is among those at the refuge.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
the mint militia

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

he tried to access government data but libreoffice couldnt open the files

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
whois defendyourbase.net

quote:

Registrant Name: Gabriel WorldOfTanks
Registrant Organization:
Registrant Street: 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Registrant City: Washington DC
Registrant State/Province: VA
Registrant Postal Code: 20500

its me, im President Gabriel WorldOfTanks

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

1600 pennsylvania avenue
washington dc va

e: he even hosed that up, the part thats still dc is on the maryland side

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
has anyone made a kde version of fedora yet because lol at using ubuntu but I'd like a sane distro start rather than the weird clump you get with a groupinstall

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

ahmeni posted:

has anyone made a kde version of fedora yet because lol at using ubuntu but I'd like a sane distro start rather than the weird clump you get with a groupinstall

https://spins.fedoraproject.org/kde/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

theultimo posted:

Mir supposedly

is that their bespoke artisanal window server that's totally not a clone of the NeXT & OS X window server, but is also somehow different than the bespoke artisanal window server that's totally not a clone of the NeXT & OS X window server to which the entire rest of the Linux world is switching?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
desktop linux bad

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

pram posted:

desktop linux better then windows 10

Fixed

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

broken clock opsec posted:

one thing i noticed is that linux on the desktop users tend to pretend the rest of the computing world is still in 1995 just so they can feel better about their bad choices

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

is that their bespoke artisanal window server that's totally not a clone of the NeXT & OS X window server, but is also somehow different than the bespoke artisanal window server that's totally not a clone of the NeXT & OS X window server to which the entire rest of the Linux world is switching?

2016 year of wayland on the linux desktop

maybe, if they ever finish nitpicking over the pointer locking protocol

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

nothing in Wayland is in any way related to the shitshow that is Display PostScript

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Also gently caress Linux steam ffs wine does it better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theultimo posted:

linux steam supports streaming which is pretty awesome

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

theultimo posted:

uhh linux steam is fine, unless you are using some garbage can niche distro XXXXXXx_ELITEHACKERZ_LINUZ_XxXxXX

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Linux Steam doesn't support HiDPI either which is quite amazing given that it's basically a WebKit window with a JavaScript launchDrmedGame() method plumbed into it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

steam has hidpi issues on every platform

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Celexi posted:

uhh linux steam is fine, unless you are using some garbage can niche distro XXXXXXx_ELITEHACKERZ_LINUZ_XxXxXX

Oh the ui and stuff is fine, but out of my 1100 or so games only 300 or so have been ported. Wine actually works better in that respect

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

nothing in Wayland is in any way related to the shitshow that is Display PostScript

sure it is, the fundamental model used is the same as what NeXT did for their window server in the 80s and the same as what OS X does for its window server today

the biggest difference between the NeXT & OS X window servers is that the NeXT window server supported server-side rendering via Display PostScript, otherwise the model is pretty similar (and much leaner than the hot garbage that is X because it wasn't a design-by-committee kitchen sink)

contrast this with, say, SunView—dating from the same era as the NeXT design—which had the kernel managing windows as file descriptors

it's just nice to see the rest of the UNIX world finally dragged kicking and screaming into the late 1980s

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theultimo posted:

Oh the ui and stuff is fine, but out of my 1100 or so games only 300 or so have been ported. Wine actually works better in that respect

no poo poo sherlock

wine is freaking awesome

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no poo poo sherlock

wine is freaking awesome

I was more shocked it played ffxiii with no issues.

I haven't had a chance to try it in a while, cooped up with rl

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

theultimo posted:

steam on Linux is for streaming games from your windows machine, any actual porting is incidental

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

computer toucher posted:

absolutely not, so why leave that one word there to taunt me?

Because this [thing] has been localized to 36 languages! *

*(in 2006 by bored students and has not been updated since. 1/3 of the localization keys used in the language file are no longer used and 1/3 of the current keys do not have translations in the language file)

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

The_Franz posted:

steam has hidpi issues on every platform

steam and itunes are probably the apps I hate the most. they both share a bloated feel, and interacting feels like wading through mud

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://lwn.net/Articles/671171/

KDE's media indexing service runs a captive MySQL server (which gets really fun when MySQL gets upgraded and its on-disk format needs to be migrated)
It defines a gratuitous custom IPC protocol which is some horrible bastardization of IMAP of all things
Yet it still requires clients to do the equivalent of a SELECT * from the data store and do filtering themselves

:psyduck:

this is some TDWTF poo poo right here

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Mr Dog posted:

KDE's media indexing service runs a captive MySQL server (which gets really fun when MySQL gets upgraded and its on-disk format needs to be migrated)
It defines a gratuitous custom IPC protocol which is some horrible bastardization of IMAP of all things
Yet it still requires clients to do the equivalent of a SELECT * from the data store and do filtering themselves

WONTFIX - works as intended

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

quote:

My MySQL is currently borked. I can't be bothered to investigate properly, but I think the reason is that, when I upgraded, the on-disk format changed and I was *supposed* to run some conversion utility.
Now I seem to be in a catch 22 - the MySQL service crashes on start because the disk format is wrong, and the conversion utility won't run because it needs MySQL to be running ...

what the gently caress. lmfao. sqlite has been around for like 15 years now

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
yeah i try to excise/disable all of the indexing poo poo from KDE, it is difficult on a distro where everything is compiled ahead of time and linked against that stuff, and apt-get uninstalling stuff like baloo/akonadi wants to take the whole KDE desktop with it

hmm i wonder if theres a gentoo USE flag that could be disabled to omit this stuff when building plasma 5, no way im gonna switch any of my desktop machines to gentoo but now i am curious

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
kde is supremely ugly

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
its also got a bad window manager.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Smythe posted:

its also got a bad window manager.

dont sign your posts!!! lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

triple sulk posted:

dont sign your posts!!! lol

i use gnome 3 which is the best window manager. better than all the rest. by a HUGE margin.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Smythe posted:

i use gnome 3 which is the best window manager. better than all the rest. by a HUGE margin.

You cannot wobby window without a plugin. Fail

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
1) GNOME 3
2-303) nothing, wide gulf
304) WIndows 10
305) OSX
306) Unity
307-705) nothing
706) KDE

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Smythe posted:

1) GNOME 3
304) WIndows 10
305) OSX
306) Unity
307-705) nothing
706) KDE

smythe was wrong

:captainpop:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Smythe posted:

1) GNOME 3
304) WIndows 10
305) OSX
306) Unity
307-705) nothing
706) KDE

source your quotes so we know who to laugh at

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
i cant believe I just wrote the words smythe was wrong is life even worth living when that just happened