Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlazedMcGuffin
Jan 26, 2004
They don't. I bought them when I started out and I've since given them to a friend and stuck with my normal riding gloves. Sorry :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

edit: I also like the Icon Elsinore's, but I'm not paying $250 for the issues that so many people seem to have with them.

What are the issues? Mine have been fine for the last year.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Posted this many times but with cold / wet weather gloves you really get what you pay for. The cheaper you go, the sloppier / bulkier the liners are, the worse your hands will breathe and the more they'll get clammy sweaty - the cheapest ones are almost like wearing rubber safety gloves. If you can get Gore-Tex it is absolutely worth it.

I would second this, especially having read those reviews of the gloves linked. I'm shopping around for some winter gloves myself, and I'm in the "buy it once" mentality when it comes to gear. I don't necessarily want/need the most expensive stuff, but I prefer to buy something that's going to be really comfortable/useful and last more than a season (I ride year-round, but you get the point).

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Toe box is too big for a Ninja 250 is the only one I know of. This may be a result of my sitting on the bike incorrectly because I don't fit it, not sure.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Posted this many times but with cold / wet weather gloves you really get what you pay for. The cheaper you go, the sloppier / bulkier the liners are, the worse your hands will breathe and the more they'll get clammy sweaty - the cheapest ones are almost like wearing rubber safety gloves. If you can get Gore-Tex it is absolutely worth it.

I've tried on the Scarabs and they seemed nice but they're thin for winter gloves. It's a sporty fit but I'm not sure how they'd hold up in much cold or rain.

I had some Scarabs, they weren't very warm and the thumb was really short compared to the fingers.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

Toe box is too big for a Ninja 250 is the only one I know of. This may be a result of my sitting on the bike incorrectly because I don't fit it, not sure.

Ah... when I first put mine on and hopped on my new bike (an XLR250, although pretty well-sized for me), I had a really hard time shifting that I hadn't in street shoes, to the point the PO watching me ride away seemed genuinely concerned for my safety getting home. It took a little bit to figure out the right way to put my foot, but everything's been fine since, and I've logged about 5k in them. Of course, with RevZilla (and I assume most places) they wouldn't take a boot back that's got a bit of wear on it, so may not want to risk it.

If I had to do it over again I might have gotten something more waterproof (have Frogg Toggs bootie things now though), but I like how easy they are to get on and off, and they get compliments from riders/non-riders alike.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Halo_4am posted:

Looking to get some cold weather gloves on the cheap. I currently roll with a pair of normal winter gauntlets and some liners, but looking to get something that offers more protection.

All the really nice gloves are like $150+ ... man I'm too cheap for that. Anybody have experience with these?
http://www.revzilla.com/product/cortech-scarab-winter-gloves

Quality wise, the Scarabs are good gloves. I've had a pair for quite a few years and they're good at keeping the rain out, but if you have anything more than mild winters they are still going to be chilly. Anything below mid 40's or so is going to start hurting in a hurry.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

clutchpuck posted:

I looked at boots like that (and those in particular) last time I needed a pair of riding boots.

Full height MX boots like that go up really high (like almost knee-high, definitely overkill-high) and they're bulky. Also not waterproof; that type of boot will direct water from puddles "away" from the inside of the boot, but in the rain your feet will get wet. They're not particularly well-suited for street riding but I'm sure they can be made to work if you are motivated enough.

If you're looking for the rigidity of an MX boot but for riding a street bike, check out some shorty offroad boots. I run the Fox Comp 5s boots, they have a lot of ankle protection for the price and they've held together well for the past 20k mi or so and I use them for double-duty (road touring and offroad injuries).

Other shortys: Fly Maverick ATV boots (similar to the ones you linked but lower and I think they have lug soles), Alpinestars Tech 2, O'Neal Shorty 2, and Gaerne GMX. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...-0-0-0-0-24-1-1

Waterproof, or at least legitimately resistant would be nice. I had actually been eyeing the Maverik ATV boots, figuring that full-on MX would be too much. What exactly does "shorty" mean in the boot sense? I've been trying to figure that out, as I want something that comes a good ways up my shin. Some of the shorties look like they'd do that, but others look like goofy basketball shoes. It's being picky, I know, but the power ranger/tactical look of a lot of the boots out there really turns me off. I do really like the look of the A* Scouts, but they're out of my budget. My budget is a limiting thing right now, as all spare funds are going into getting the bike on the road again.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

A handful of the reviews on the gear sites mention that the buckles are pot metal or something fragile. And I think I heard that they don't actually have a ton of lateral ankle protection either. I guess that's not exactly an "issue" in the manufacturing defect sense. But drat if they don't look the tits.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 20, 2013

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

So after getting caught in the rain my helmet smells like wet dog so I figure it's time to wash it. The manual said the liner was machine washable so is there anything special setting or whatever I should put it on or is it just like washing any other piece of clothing?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

If your wife/girlfriend/yourself has a delicates bag I'd wash it in that. Or just run the washer on the delicate cycle if it has one.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
There's not that much to the liners if you have a tub and some detergent. I've always hand washed mine.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I just bought a lightly used pair of Tech8 Lights on E-bay. If they're anywhere near as durable as the old Tech8s I should be set for dirt boots for the next 10 years or so. On the subject of waterproof offroad boots, as long as they aren't vented you're good. The trick is to get water proof pants that go over the boot (and to not melt said pants on your header).

localized
Mar 30, 2008
I recently purchased an older AGV one piece leather suit on a whim from eBay, and much to my dismay it is too small. It was listed as an extra large/ size 54. Its about an inch or two too short in the torso region, and it kind of squeezes my nuts really hard. Is it in the realm of possibility to have a suit altered to make it longer, or would I be better off trying to sell the suit and buying something larger? I am 6' 3" and 190lb, with long, gangly limbs.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

localized posted:

I recently purchased an older AGV one piece leather suit on a whim from eBay, and much to my dismay it is too small. It was listed as an extra large/ size 54. Its about an inch or two too short in the torso region, and it kind of squeezes my nuts really hard. Is it in the realm of possibility to have a suit altered to make it longer, or would I be better off trying to sell the suit and buying something larger? I am 6' 3" and 190lb, with long, gangly limbs.

Does it fit you on the bike? I read that it pinches you if you try to stand up, but nobody does that while in race tuck. Can you crouch and make it feel good, or is it just ball-crushingly tight no matter how you stand?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

A handful of the reviews on the gear sites mention that the buckles are pot metal or something fragile. And I think I heard that they don't actually have a ton of lateral ankle protection either. I guess that's not exactly an "issue" in the manufacturing defect sense. But drat if they don't look the tits.

That... doesn't surprise me. My impression of Icon is that they're basically "style over substance"... I've got a pair of Overlord pants I'm borrowing from a friend (wear them when I'm taking a pillion), and he said the first time he went to fasten them, the buckle over the fly broke. I've had no issues with the boots, although the buckles are pretty much a "set it once and forget it" item. I would say they don't offer much lateral protection, but I wasn't really after that when I was shopping.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Speaking of agv, if anyone remembers project 46, apparently they're actually selling those helmets now. http://www.agv.com/us/agv/RACE/PISTA%20GP/PROJECT%2046

M42 fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 22, 2013

localized
Mar 30, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Does it fit you on the bike? I read that it pinches you if you try to stand up, but nobody does that while in race tuck. Can you crouch and make it feel good, or is it just ball-crushingly tight no matter how you stand?

No, basically when I put it on I need to decide which leg of the suit my junk will be going in. It definitely fits better when I'm in more of a riding position, but still too tight.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Snowdens Secret posted:

I've tried on the Scarabs and they seemed nice but they're thin for winter gloves. It's a sporty fit but I'm not sure how they'd hold up in much cold or rain.

This post convinced me to bump my price tag up a bit. I learned there's actually a local Dainese shop around town and stopped by to see what was what.

devians posted:

I currently use a pair of Dianese Jericho's for when its cold/wet.

However, when I'm travelling on long trips, ie weeks at a time, I find once they get properly wet, such as a few hours in constant rain or a heavy storm, they stay wet and they become nearly impossible to put on. In fact, due to the liner material, even having damp hands can make it difficult.

Does anyone have any recommendations for gloves that can deal with this kind of punishment? Either by drying out quickly, staying dryer longer, etc?

I also find that the gauntlet style is tricky to decide how to wear with my Klim Badlands jacket, as in over or under the sleeve. I opt for glove over jacket because of ease, but it seems like you cant win. Either way you have the jacket draining into the glove or the glove draining into the jacket :/

I tried these and they were kind of awkward hard to put on in totally normal dry conditions. I can certainly see the issue when they get a bit wet.

So I settled on the Scout Gore-Tex Gloves, which were actually on clearance so they worked well for my price point too.

They're mostly textile outside and so they might stay good and wet same as the Jericho's, but the leather palms and Gore-Tex liner should mean they stay dry where it counts. The cuff on the gauntlet is ultimately what sold me on them. There are some days where I prefer tucking the gloves inside the jacket, and others where an over the cuff gauntlet is preferred. Those cuffs allow it to be either depending on the conditions/mood/jacket. Seemed pretty well perfect for the Fall and hopefully they'll stay warm enough down to the mid 30's, but IMO there's nothing short of electric that stands up down to those temps.

They are bulkier than the Jericho's though. Which was explained to me by the rep as a 'touring' glove vs a 'sport' glove.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
I own and have wrecked in a pair of dainese scouts. They're not bad. I don't really feel they're particularly warm, however, and last winter I did spend a lot of time at stop lights reaching down to warm my hands on the engine when driving in Seattle in mid 30s-low 40s. For the price and the brand, that's a little disappointing, but I guess there are more hardcore cold protective gloves and these are intended more for cooler but not yet freezing temps. I have had no complaints so far about the water resistance, although if you "let" significant rain run down your sleeve into them it can take days to dry out. If my hands and/or the insides are damp they are pretty tough to put on, they fit nicely though.

They performed well in a ~30-40 mph lowside on wet road. I slid for a ways on my back and assume I slowed myself and absorbed some impact with my hands. The only damage the gloves suffered was around that little pad at the base of the thumb. If you look closely you see they cut the main panel of leather and then stitched that around the pad and a small piece of leather covering it. That stitching failed about 1/3 of the way around and that pad is exposed. That detail is single stitched, and they do seem to have gotten smarter about it in other glove models. There is no other visible damage. Even in the area I just mentioned, you can't see any rashing. My jacket sleeves were more rashed on the inside of my arms than anything else, so I believe that the gloves were probably tested a few times while I was slowing down, but you could never tell by looking at them.

I do think the pinky finger protector actually did prevent a sprain or break on my right hand when I rolled as well, that finger was sore for days but uninjured. Maybe a gimmick but I'm a believer.

I'll still wear them, I doubt that damaged pad will greatly affect anything. I'll probably spray the textile outers with a bunch of nikwax or something and see if that helps keep warm by keeping the rain further away instead of letting it through the outer layer to be stopped by the goretex. Or maybe look into some silk under-gloves, they seem to be regarded highly, but the scouts are pretty close fitting.

Surprised to see Dainese's entire waterproof gloves line appears on closeout, wtf? At closeout prices, I may buy a another pair, honestly.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I have a pair of Rev'It Orions that are similar in construction. I'll say that on a naked bike they didn't really cut it much below 50F but on a faired bike they were fine deep in nearly freezing-rain conditions. Even minor fairings and windscreens make a huge difference in letting you retain heat. If your bike is naked or mostly so you're going to have a -much- harder time keeping warm; heated gear will help but handguards or those goofy Hippo Hands may be necessary.

Also when comparing 'sport' vs 'touring' cold & wet gloves - my take is when it's lovely cold and rainy (or worse) out, you're not going to be riding aggressively anyway, so get the comfier/warmer ones. If you think conditions are going to improve or you're heading somewhere warmer, just pack sportier gloves. 'Sporty' insulated / waterproof gloves tend to be cruddy compromises.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Halo_4am posted:

Looking to get some cold weather gloves on the cheap. I currently roll with a pair of normal winter gauntlets and some liners, but looking to get something that offers more protection.

All the really nice gloves are like $150+ ... man I'm too cheap for that. Anybody have experience with these?
http://www.revzilla.com/product/cortech-scarab-winter-gloves

I tried the Scarabs out and did not like them. The construction was, in my opinion, poor. I wanted to like them, but decided on returning them. (ninja edit: see you got the scouts)

I just recently purchased the Rev'it Kelvin H20 gloves: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/view_product_images/6506

Sorry for the link, but I cannot access imgur at work. :(

I think I have handguards that I'm going to put on for the winter. It's my hands that get cold the fastest.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I'm going to buy one of those bar muffs. drat winter is not going to get me this time! :comeback:

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Terminus Est posted:

I just picked up a shark s700 which is pretty awesome except that when the wind is blowing I get a blast of air up through the neck and straight into my eyes. It sucks.

Shark make a little insert that fits into the gap in front of your chin. I'll upload a couple of pictures when I get home tonight!

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Shark make a little insert that fits into the gap in front of your chin. I'll upload a couple of pictures when I get home tonight!

Those jerks also want like $22 + shipping for the little removable piece of plastic in front of the chin vent (cheapest I've found it online, anyways) for my Evoline 2. :colbert:

I'll pay it, but ugh.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 24, 2013

Terminus Est
Sep 30, 2005

Motorcycle Miliitia

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

That's fine in Europe, but I cannot find a retailer to sell me the part in the states. I found a German site, Louis.de that had what I need but they won't ship to north america due to 'regulations'. I then asked revzilla about it and they were surprised at the lack of parts as well. They told me to check back in October as the shark distributor is expecting a large parts shipment.

I've ordered an AGV K3 to be my winter beater in the mean time.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
I'm an ATGATT dude so SMX boots, overpants, leather jacket, gloves & helmet at all times.

I was in a hurry and didn't have time to throw on my pants and boots and it was the most miserable experience; I lost all confidence in my riding and was :tinfoil: :ohdear: the whole two miles. Funny how naked you feel after wearing gear the entire time. Every time I felt a gust of wind up my pant lag or the fact that my ankle rolled around like normal and wasn't locked into place by a boot had me freaking the gently caress out thinking about my bare ankle or knee dragging along old concrete. :stonk:

The wind felt nice though I suppose.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

BotchedLobotomy posted:

I'm an ATGATT dude so SMX boots, overpants, leather jacket, gloves & helmet at all times.

I was in a hurry and didn't have time to throw on my pants and boots and it was the most miserable experience; I lost all confidence in my riding and was :tinfoil: :ohdear: the whole two miles. Funny how naked you feel after wearing gear the entire time. Every time I felt a gust of wind up my pant lag or the fact that my ankle rolled around like normal and wasn't locked into place by a boot had me freaking the gently caress out thinking about my bare ankle or knee dragging along old concrete. :stonk:

The wind felt nice though I suppose.

When I was visiting my parents last year a buddy came by with a new-to-him 90s Ducati. I took it out for a little spin in my parent's development wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and chucks and that's it. I've been an ATGATT guy since I started riding in 2006 and it was just loving weird to have all hang out there like that. I did feel like I was riding the thing naked. I can't believe how people ride on the highway at 80-90-100 mph in flip-flops and no helmet.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Dropped my helmet off a bench about 3 feet off a hard surface. Should I replace it?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

MoraleHazard posted:

Dropped my helmet off a bench about 3 feet off a hard surface. Should I replace it?

E: Serious Note. Heres how SNELL feels about it.

SNELL Foundation posted:

I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?"

Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one-use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied, the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general, the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 3, 2013

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Not unless your head was in it.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

MotoMind posted:

Not unless your head was in it.

This.

If there's no visible damage to the shell it's fine. The polystyrene layer is sensitive to all kinds of things, but it's only affected by a drop if there's something on the inside to partially compress it.

At least that's what I understand from Aria's rep who felt comfortable saying it on national TV. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovd3KGu6BgU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Besides, the good holiday sales are just weeks away

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

This.

If there's no visible damage to the shell it's fine. The polystyrene layer is sensitive to all kinds of things, but it's only affected by a drop if there's something on the inside to partially compress it.

Dang, so if I wanged my head on a doorway with my helmet on, and it left a little scratch on the shell, is it dangerous to keep wearing it?

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

alnilam posted:

Dang, so if I wanged my head on a doorway with my helmet on, and it left a little scratch on the shell, is it dangerous to keep wearing it?

If it's a scuff from hitting a corner or something you're probably ok. If it was strong enough of an impact to actually gouge the plastic shell you've probably compacted some of the liner.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah the impact foam in helmets is basically the same poo poo they use to make molded packing material for shipping TVs and poo poo. If you drop it on the ground, nothing happens. If you pinch it with your fingers, it compresses and doesn't bounce back.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I just found there's a neck brace for street use. Would that be a good thing to have? I hear plenty of things about atgatt riders that die cause they broke their neck. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-stx-road-neck-brace

Dat price though :drat:

e: oh, turns out there's a couple other street ones, I thought it was just an MX thing.

M42 fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 3, 2013

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

quote:

The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head.

For some reason that really cracked me up.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Shimrod posted:

For some reason that really cracked me up.

You should read their whole site then. Its all like that.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Thanks for the good advice. I have to replace one of my helmets anyway, but the one I dropped was my newest one.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

M42 posted:

I just found there's a neck brace for street use. Would that be a good thing to have? I hear plenty of things about atgatt riders that die cause they broke their neck. http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/leatt-stx-road-neck-brace

Dat price though :drat:

e: oh, turns out there's a couple other street ones, I thought it was just an MX thing.

It might be too restrictive for shoulder checks, or so cumbersome to put on that you don't use it. I would definitely want to try it before I dropped that kind of money on one.

Zool fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
Guys I hear many motorcyclists are killed after being impaled by large spears. Should I get a breastplate?