Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I'd like to know what the "worth watching" voyager eps are in that guide because these here trek threads can never come up with more than 12-15, less than 20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

Scudworth posted:

I'd like to know what the "worth watching" voyager eps are in that guide because these here trek threads can never come up with more than 12-15, less than 20.

The Thaw probably has the distinction of appearing in many best of and worst of lists.

It is one of the very few Voyager episodes I like.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Living Witness is also excellent.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Future's End is a good romp.

Darkling is some good, good Doctor.

Macrocosm is not great, as I have discussed of spookTrek, but it is fun.

Scientific Method is Good.

The Thaw is weird and creepy. You might have noticed a patern here. You could, I guess, round it off properly with The Haunting Of Deck 12, but that's a Nelix episode, which is basically Crusher and Troi episodes condensed into one.

E: Oh and Memorial is poo poo. There that's all of them.

Orv fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 15, 2017

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
Just watch the last five minutes of "The Thaw." It's about an evil clown, and the only good part is when Janeway wrecks him in the end.

Voyager sucks, so if you're going to watch it, just condense it down into one big season worth of good sci fi:

"Jetrel" (1.15)
"Meld" (2.16)
"Deadlock" (2.21)
"Darkling" (3.18)
"Real Life" (3.22)
"Scorpion" (3.26/4.1)
"Year of Hell" (4.8/4.9)
"Mortal Coil" (4.12)
"Prey" (4.16)
"The Killing Game" (4.18/4.19)
"Living Witness" (4.23)
"One" (4.25)
"Latent Image" (5.11)
"Bride of Chaotica!" (5.12)
"Course: Oblivion" (5.18) (I guess you should also watch "Demon," ep. 4.24 for this one to make the most sense, but "Demon" sucks in comparison)
"Equinox" (5.26/6.1)
"Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" (6.4)
"Human Error" (7.18)
"Author, Author" (7.20)
"Endgame" (7.25/7.26)

( I may have missed a couple good ones, but that's what I got from looking at the wiki list for a couple minutes.)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Don't forget to watch the one with The Rock.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Scudworth posted:

Whatever you do, don't watch the pilot episodes. My last attempt to rewatch Voyager ended 20 minutes into the series premier because I knew how much of the show's premise is wasted. But it's all laid out right there for you: crew conflicts, stranded away from the niceties of 24th century life, inexperienced crew stepping up, etc. All of it, for the most part, is just thrown aside within the first season and a half.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
I watched Year of Hell last night and didn't really like it at all.

On the other hand, i liked Revulsion, so idk.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Cojawfee posted:

It would be Klingon as gently caress to block universal translators during their plays.

Or maybe the viewers turned it off themselves to hear it as it is meant to be heard. Opera IRL tends to be in German or Italian. It could be translated, but for serious performances you'll usually get it in the original language no matter where you or the performers are from.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Railing Kill posted:

Just watch the last five minutes of "The Thaw." It's about an evil clown, and the only good part is when Janeway wrecks him in the end.

Voyager sucks, so if you're going to watch it, just condense it down into one big season worth of good sci fi:

"Jetrel" (1.15)
"Meld" (2.16)
"Deadlock" (2.21)
"Darkling" (3.18)
"Real Life" (3.22)
"Scorpion" (3.26/4.1)
"Year of Hell" (4.8/4.9)
"Mortal Coil" (4.12)
"Prey" (4.16)
"The Killing Game" (4.18/4.19)
"Living Witness" (4.23)
"One" (4.25)
"Latent Image" (5.11)
"Bride of Chaotica!" (5.12)
"Course: Oblivion" (5.18) (I guess you should also watch "Demon," ep. 4.24 for this one to make the most sense, but "Demon" sucks in comparison)
"Equinox" (5.26/6.1)
"Tinker, Tenor, Doctor, Spy" (6.4)
"Human Error" (7.18)
"Author, Author" (7.20)
"Endgame" (7.25/7.26)

( I may have missed a couple good ones, but that's what I got from looking at the wiki list for a couple minutes.)

I noticed that you were missing Blink Of an Eye, so I pulled the imdb ratings 8.0 or higher. Also added the bottom 5 ratings. 8.0+'s are not necessarily all good scifi, but watchable.

Edit: vvvvv too many Voyager episodes for my liking vvvvv

CharlieWhiskey fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 15, 2017

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
This is the episode guide im using.

http://pastebin.com/CuAZmKV1

I am just getting started with season 5.

To make the list, an episode must meet at least one of the following criteria:

1) Important to show continuity, i.e. affects multiple later episodes or resolves continuing plotlines.
2) Important to character development, i.e. Tom/B'Elanna romance or Seven's social skills.
3) Unusually good episode even if not important, i.e. The Thaw.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Deathwish is very good, and belongs on any worth-watching list. One of the few Q episodes that actually has a story beyond "Q does wacky things!".

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Angry Salami posted:

Deathwish is very good, and belongs on any worth-watching list. One of the few Q episodes that actually has a story beyond "Q does wacky things!".

Too bad they then turned the continuum into the American Civil War...

But yes, Deathwish is a good Voyager episode.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

willie_dee posted:

This is the episode guide im using.

http://pastebin.com/CuAZmKV1

I am just getting started with season 5.

gently caress me that is at least 4x too much voyager.

If you watched this much and still think it's better than DS9, the DS9 list you're using is broken. Or you're mental.

The 37s is on that list, no one should have to watch that.

Scudworth fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 15, 2017

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, what's the DS9 guide you used? If I was making a "good DS9" list, it would probably be like, 3/4 of the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Here's my DS9 Viewing guide:

Watch all the episodes, ESPECIALLY Move Along Home.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Alamarain, if you can see

Alamarain, you'll watch with me

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Like, poo poo, the worst episode of DS9 and the only one I could truly recommend be skipped is the Brigadoon planet one, and that's because it commits the heinous crime of being incredibly boring. All the other "bad" DS9s, in my opinion, are either totally insane and funny or roughly equivalent to a mediocre episode of TNG and just "bad" by DS9's higher standards.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Profit and Lace is worth skipping.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Cojawfee posted:

If you've never even seen a movie, you can't really go around saying "wow, you guys actually like that lovely movie?"
As someone who saw Into Darkness, I give people permission to poo poo on it even if they haven't seen it. It doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Beyond is great, though.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Dude, Beyond had an extended obnoxious dirtbike scene. It somehow usurps the Nemesis dune buggy scene as the goofiest superfluous vehicle poo poo in Star Trek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The dirtbike made more sense to exist in the story and actually mattered to the plot, so I have to disagree that it was worse than the dunebuggy in a world of hover tech and suchlike.

willie_dee posted:

with all the dross cut, Voyager is way better than DS9.
LOL

I guess this might be true in an odd way if what you mean is no trek is better than any trek , but I'd still disagree.

skooma512 posted:

Alamarain, if you can see

Alamarain, you'll watch with me

This syncs up amazingly with your avatar

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

As much as I enjoy DS9, there is a lot of forgettable filler (especially if you don't generally care for the Ferengi episodes) because the writers had a habit of writing several almost indistinguishable episodes for certain characters. I defy you to say that any of the Dax symbiont related episodes are really worth watching.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

King Hong Kong posted:

As much as I enjoy DS9, there is a lot of forgettable filler (especially if you don't generally care for the Ferengi episodes) because the writers had a habit of writing several almost indistinguishable episodes for certain characters. I defy you to say that any of the Dax symbiont related episodes are really worth watching.

Blood Oath is totally worth watching. The one where she meets her previous host's wife's symbiote is kind of cool since they create the same artificial wormholes that Barclay uses to communicate with Voyager.... but that's about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah I'll bet they created some wormholes alright.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

MrJacobs posted:

Blood Oath is totally worth watching. The one where she meets her previous host's wife's symbiote is kind of cool since they create the same artificial wormholes that Barclay uses to communicate with Voyager.... but that's about it.

Just the episode "Dax" is alright just because Trek courtroom episodes are always good, even it is basically a ripoff of Measure of Man.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

King Hong Kong posted:

I defy you to say that any of the Dax symbiont related episodes are really worth watching.

That one with her former host's wife is a huge landmark in queer TV history.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

showbiz_liz posted:

You are right and it does give Farrell a chance to emote a little more than usual. There's kind of a sad tension throughout that one you don't usually get in a Star Trek.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
The other sent away shapeshifter odo meets in season 7 is a real poo poo. that guys a real jerk

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

showbiz_liz posted:

That's a fair point. I'm still not sure that I genuinely enjoy that episode but it probably comes closest to working because the drama feels more real than contrived legal drama or "guy wants to steal the symbiont" plot or "we really wish we had Curzon on this show instead."

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

dangerdoom volvo posted:

The other sent away shapeshifter odo meets in season 7 is a real poo poo. that guys a real jerk

Odo gave him that shifting disease and he probably died alone, so happy ending I guess.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

Buffy did it first .:colbert:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Odo's like the only shape shifter that didn't become a massive racist rear end in a top hat. I wonder how much of the whole "we're oppressed and hated by solids everywhere we go!" basis of their culture and militarism is their own drat fault.

"These racist solids chased me out of their village! They are so fearful and close minded. All I did was sneak into their village, become a cloud of toxic gas that killed their livestock, then turned into a physical representation of their most feared demon and might have killed a couple of their young because they threw rocks at me but they only died because their idiotic bodies were so fragile and limited. It was all a prank, guys, so close minded and hateful. Guess I'll just have to genocide/enslave these people so their kids never throw rocks at us again"

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
That's sorta on purpose. The thing about the shapeshifters is that their persecution is in the ancient past and they believe preemptively genociding and/or enslaving everyone else is the only way to keep it from happening again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The founders are "it's just a prank bro" as a whole species.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

willie_dee posted:

I'm currently watching Voyager with an episode guide saying which episodes are worth watching and which aren't, I did the same with TNG and DS9, and with all the dross cut, Voyager is way better than DS9.

Well, if you cut out all of the bad episodes of Voyager there's like a solid British TV season's worth of good episodes.

If you only watched the best episodes of DS9 I'd be hard pressed to keep it under 30 episodes.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I might be remembering wrong but at some point I think someone was telling odo an ancient story of changelings being oppressed and chased out of a village by evil solids. And odo's reaction was obviously "Well maybe they did something to the villagers?" and the changeling was all "OF COURSE NOT IT'S JUST BECAUSE ALL SOLIDS HATE US FOR NO REASON!!" and I think that was a pretty strong hint that the changelings probably had it coming, or at least are so uncritical of their own past and their racism they are unable to even consider they were anything other than totally innocent victims.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Buffy did it first .:colbert:

Buffy did it in 2001, DS9 did it in 1995

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

showbiz_liz posted:

Buffy did it in 2001, DS9 did it in 1995

I stand corrected!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
I watched voyager when I was a kid so I did not have the capacity to tell what episodes were good or not, I enjoyed them all pretty equally.

But I still knew that ds9 was the best