Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

So F2 IS part of the rotation now? drat it.

Its just to pad out time to foul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Reiterpallasch posted:

for the record, their response to advice was pretty hostile and something along the lines of "you try playing with a controller with a toddler on your lap," but honest to god, we tried

e: i've actually had really good response to advice from literal sprouts in the <20 dungeons, idk

A controller is the easiest way to play with a kid on your lap, wth are they talking about

Toshimo posted:

Try this and report back.

This is the life I live, every day

Clearly the noted bad gamer is a bad parent in addition to being a bad gamer

Ouhei posted:

I've gotten pretty used to ground targeting with a controller, but yeah chatting mid battle kinda sucks. One of the reasons I switched to PC was so that it was a matter of dropping the controller onto the desk in front of me, rather than on a couch where I then had to grab the keyboard since I played on a couch when I was on PS4.

I just leave the kb on my lap

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Finished Heavensward. :toot:

The last few dungeons were pretty fantastic and I definitely enjoyed it.

Is this just gear syncing shenanigans or were The Knights of the Round always that easy? I feel like I could have just not healed at all and we would have made it through. It's a little bizarre given that the two other Primals the story required were a lot more difficult. I'm into 3.2 now, and it definitely feels a lot smoother than the post 2.0 stuff did.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

LordHippoman posted:

Is this just gear syncing shenanigans or were The Knights of the Round always that easy?

Just about. Post-ult phase took a bit longer.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
That post about the SCH spamming physick in Brayflox worried me, since I just did that, and found it difficult to keep the tank up while using other abilities. The best I could do was sneaking in Bio/Miasma. I also almost bottomed out on mana on the final boss, just trying to keep health up/tossing esuna.

I'm not sure if the tank was just squishy, or if I was doing something wrong or what.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Colgate posted:

That post about the SCH spamming physick in Brayflox worried me, since I just did that, and found it difficult to keep the tank up while using other abilities. The best I could do was sneaking in Bio/Miasma. I also almost bottomed out on mana on the final boss, just trying to keep health up/tossing esuna.

I'm not sure if the tank was just squishy, or if I was doing something wrong or what.

The leveling process for tanks and healers can be rough in some random cases due to gear differences. If one or both of you aren't well geared it can be a painful ride. I had this experience in the Aery as I was bringing up AST, had to work my rear end off just to keep the tank out of death range and it was almost entirely due to my gear being a clusterfuck of leveling stuff from dungeons and vendors. As you get further along this stops happening as much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Colgate posted:

Use your other healing tools to give yourself more breathing room. Adloquium is worth one and a half Physicks for the same cast time. Eos's Whispering Dawn is particularly useful, because it doesn't cost MP, you can order her to use it while you're casting, and it's worth almost two Physicks on each party member every 60 seconds.

Also remember that there's a huge difference between keeping the tank up (ie not dead) and keeping the tank topped off (which is usually unnecessary).

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Fister Roboto posted:

Use your other healing tools to give yourself more breathing room. Adloquium is worth one and a half Physicks for the same cast time. Eos's Whispering Dawn is particularly useful, because it doesn't cost MP, you can order her to use it while you're casting, and it's worth almost two Physicks on each party member every 60 seconds.

Also remember that there's a huge difference between keeping the tank up (ie not dead) and keeping the tank topped off (which is usually unnecessary).

Yeah, Adloquium helped to give me some breathing room with its shield, if a bit pricey for MP. And I was mostly trying to keep the tank around 75%, because I usually figure Eos can top off the rest, but even maintaining that was tough.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cleared O1S tonight, it's a cinch once you have the pattern down. We pubbed an AST that refused to use cards (outside 2x Lady of Crowns, 1x Spire, 1x Ewer). I don't understand why they play AST.

O2S gave us more trouble since people couldn't get the hang of the first Long Drop mechanic and the flurry of stuff that bookends it. Should be able to clear it on Sunday.

Savage raiding so far feels "just right" in terms of difficulty. I look forward wiping repeatedly on 3 and 4.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

O3S is super fun

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

LordHippoman posted:

Is this just gear syncing shenanigans or were The Knights of the Round always that easy?

For about two or three weeks, the ambiguously gay duo knights were a minor inconvenience but otherwise the entire fight was cheese.

Though, if you want true sadism, ask around about the Thordan EX fight and it's fifteen thousand phases.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I've heard this year's Summer Festival item will be dyeable Shisui gear, is this true? I hope not. I mean, who do I gotta kill to get a proper Haori for my Glamouri. I mean, this stuff is in game already, gimmie. :(

I am kinda tempted to drop :20bux: on the Far Eastern Patriach set though...

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

brokenknee posted:

For about two or three weeks, the ambiguously gay duo knights were a minor inconvenience but otherwise the entire fight was cheese.

Though, if you want true sadism, ask around about the Thordan EX fight and it's fifteen thousand phases.

I'll fully admit to not telling newbie MTs about double holy bladedance and watching them get murdered because I thought it would be funny.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Ibram Gaunt posted:

O3S is super fun

oink

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

I suck rear end at gpose in general but met this glorious dude named Bowie Stardust in trial roulette

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

We cleared O1S tonight. Rather than show off a clear screenshot (we have plenty and have seen plenty), we had to commemorate the roots of this fantastic raid.

The second healer kept falling off, so he is only marginally pictured.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ibram Gaunt posted:

O3S is super fun

After clearing O2S my pug group went straight into O3S

That fight does not gently caress around. Why is there an add that hits for 69K with its autoattack

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 22, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

cheetah7071 posted:

After clearing O2S my pug group went straight into O3S

That fight does not gently caress around. Why is there an add that hits for 69K with it's autoattack

Renaud from t7 laughs at this.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Thordan Ex is a thing of beauty and every newbie should do it ilvl-synced at least once.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

LordHippoman posted:

The last few dungeons were pretty fantastic and I definitely enjoyed it.

Is this just gear syncing shenanigans or were The Knights of the Round always that easy? I feel like I could have just not healed at all and we would have made it through. It's a little bizarre given that the two other Primals the story required were a lot more difficult. I'm into 3.2 now, and it definitely feels a lot smoother than the post 2.0 stuff did.

Consider that at contemporary gear levels in EX, tanks needed to use their "Not Die" button in order to... well, not die when hit with a damage-boosted Holy Bladedance.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Ciaphas posted:

So F2 IS part of the rotation now? drat it.

I don't see why it would be. You should just do what he said without the F2s so that you get to the second round of Flares faster. There's no way to speed up your Foul generation so you just have to make sure you're using the best rotation in the interrim, and that has this basic loop:

B4, F3, Flare, Flare, Transpose, Repeat

...and you should be salting it with Thunder 4s to taste. Like whenever the last one runs out. Depending on how long it is until you have to fight a boss or something you'll want to be using sharpcast, swiftcast, triplecast, leylines, convert etc, on cooldown.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

So, Omega got me thinking.

Previous FF references brought into 14 were of two types, either dimensional hopping (usually the crossover stuff like Shantotto and Lightning) or refluffed as natural parts of FF14, whether on Hydaelyn or part of the different worlds that are linked to ours. Xande and crew got refluffed as part of the Allagan Empire. The Warring Triad were also incorporated as eikons. Omega brought us Halicarnassus, a fictional character in the context of FF14, and Exdeath, part of a legend in FF14's world.

So, what about Ivalice? Well, I can't see them just introducing an entirely new region of the world without letting us visit it in some capacity. Given that Ivalice isn't a small region either, it'd be a waste to only see peeks of it in three raids. So why not give us a fictionalized Ivalice? Perhaps, say, the legend of Dalmasca's princess leading a rebellion against the Allagan Empire? Throw in a magical grimoire that sucks the player into it (and say, maybe three kids who roped us into investigating this in the first place to toss a bone to FFTA) and they can give us FF14-ized FF12 references.

And then just have us visit modern Ivalice/Dalmasca in 5.0, somewhere in Ilsabard. If they want to rope Thavnair into it, just have Ivalice be to its immediate north. Maybe modern Ivalice/Dalmasca is fighting off/fought off the Garleans in the wake of Doma's own liberation and wants the heroes of Ala Mhigo and Doma to come to their aid.

Bonus round: Viera refugees show up in Gridania and are accepted by the elementals. They are seen as interlopers and usurpers of the previous order despite their acceptance by the elementals, giving us a new source of Gridania-focused stories.

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Argas posted:

Bonus round: Viera refugees show up in Gridania and are accepted by the elementals. They are seen as interlopers and usurpers of the previous order despite their acceptance by the elementals, giving us a new source of Gridania-focused stories.

This except it's bangaa and Gridania is razed to the ground so that the marketplace is rebuilt in an area that makes sense

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Waci posted:

Thordan Ex is a thing of beauty and every newbie should do it ilvl-synced at least once.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Consider that at contemporary gear levels in EX, tanks needed to use their "Not Die" button in order to... well, not die when hit with a damage-boosted Holy Bladedance.

I just watched it and :magical:.

I mean, it's cool that they took a fight that, story wise, should have been super difficult and gave it an alternate version to match, but...:magical:.

It's such an awesome battle visually, but I'm guessing anyone who tried progressing on that is pretty drat sick of it by now.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

LordHippoman posted:

I just watched it and :magical:.

I mean, it's cool that they took a fight that, story wise, should have been super difficult and gave it an alternate version to match, but...:magical:.

It's such an awesome battle visually, but I'm guessing anyone who tried progressing on that is pretty drat sick of it by now.

I think you may be confused. Story wise the fight against Thordan is a complete stomp in which the Warrior of Light casts them down nearly without effort. This is reflected in both how Thordan flails around in panic and terror after his Limit Break and in the cutscenes after. We can speculate that other fights were meant to be difficult, but Thordan absolutely was not.

Cirina fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jul 22, 2017

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

How do you tackle the last boss of PotD in a matchmade party? I'm assuming the problem on the last run I tried was a combination of the fact that we had two classes, not jobs, and that we were 3 DPS and a conjurer.

Do I just have to hope for a proper party? Will it be better now that I'm a Dragoon and not a Lancer? Everyone seemed to die fairly quickly despite dodging the orange, so I'm assuming a tank would help. I thought my gear was a high enough ranking at +33/+28, but is that not enough?

Everything else went fairly smoothly so it's kinda weird.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Yeah, like Eopia sez, at that moment in time, you are filled with the power of "gently caress you in the left nostril, you sanctimonious prick, you and yours killed my fanboy" and are about as close to being cruel towards a person as you ever have been.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Tyty posted:

How do you tackle the last boss of PotD in a matchmade party? I'm assuming the problem on the last run I tried was a combination of the fact that we had two classes, not jobs, and that we were 3 DPS and a conjurer.

Do I just have to hope for a proper party? Will it be better now that I'm a Dragoon and not a Lancer? Everyone seemed to die fairly quickly despite dodging the orange, so I'm assuming a tank would help. I thought my gear was a high enough ranking at +33/+28, but is that not enough?

I assume you mean Floor 50, which is just a case of getting people who don't entirely suck and doing mechanics right. You'll get it sooner or later. Not fun when you have 25 or so minutes of progress you might lose ahead of that though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tyty posted:

If you're talking about the boss of floor 50, that fight is actually very easy if everyone knows the mechanics. It's a simple damage race so long as you don't get hit by the gaze attack and don't get hit by her telegraphs. However, if anybody gets hit by the dodgeable AOE (and getting Hysteria'd by the gaze attack will guarantee this will happen), one of her attacks will get a dramatic boost in power that gets even stronger every time it happens. It's entirely possible to solo that fight as a DPS because she won't be able to out-damage you if you avoid her mechanics.

The trick that gets newbies is her gaze attack, with the glowing red eye, can be avoided by turning your character around so you don't face the caster. That's it. That's what the glowing red eye telegraph means, "look away." This specific telegraph is actually used and reused a lot in various places throughout the game, including with early game mobs (and once you realize it you can't unsee it, it's pretty common), but this is the easiest content where it becomes vital to know. And people who don't know that will cause the party to wipe, every time.

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jul 22, 2017

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Ah, okay, I didn't know that about getting hit by the AOEs which I guess must've happened during the fight. I'll take a couple more stabs at it on my next day off. Thanks!

I did know that about the eye icon though, I was clued in on it on an earlier floor when one of my friends told me about the snakes doing that. I think it's a pretty interesting mechanic, actually, how FF14 cares about facing and attack angle.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tyty posted:

Ah, okay, I didn't know that about getting hit by the AOEs which I guess must've happened during the fight. I'll take a couple more stabs at it on my next day off. Thanks!

I did know that about the eye icon though, I was clued in on it on an earlier floor when one of my friends told me about the snakes doing that. I think it's a pretty interesting mechanic, actually, how FF14 cares about facing and attack angle.

As a heads up, while knowing the fight is good, the important part is making sure the rest of the party also knows and filling them in if they don't. Most people should be understanding, especially if you mention you've lost a half an hour to a failed run because of people who didn't know.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Colgate posted:

Besides what the other people said, also check your tank's gear. Around level 30 tanks start to take nontrivial amounts of damage and if they're bad or undergeared this makes your job much harder, too.

Days ago I was in a Brayflox as a SCH and everytime I tried to do more than put up a DoT or two, the tank took huge damage spikes and almost died. Turns out this DRK was mostly wearing DPS gear with low defense and weathered jewelry (the stuff you start with at level 1 nowadays). I didn't check their cooldown use but it can't have been great either. The RDM was easier to heal than the tank, whenever they pulled mass aggro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If I get a bad tank in Brayflox, gearwise or no crystal, I'd be more inclined to tell them where to get the crystal and the latest vendor greys and then bail because they might be inclined to actually go do it then.

I've been finding that tanks are just playing like poo poo recently in all levels of content though. Extremely poor use of cooldowns or just not at all.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
I had to double take on that other post because I had almost the exact same thing happen yesterday in LDR - I was tanking, pulled the first 2 packs, the SCH was honest healing, but I only noticed because he was bored and jumping around during the fight while we very slowly killed the pack (we also had a no-job-stone archer).

As soon as I made a comment like "you know you have damage spells too right? :)" his only response was "bye" and he left the party. They were immediately replaced with another honest healer and I just didn't say anything.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Red Mage is already a lot of fun! I'm not used to casters though, so I'm wondering; one really annoying thing is that whenever I start casting too soon after re-positioning, the spell will cancel itself. Is this just 1.0-netcode.txt? I'm assuming the netcode thinks I'm still moving a little while after I stop. Having to pause after moving out of a ground target before I can start casting again feels really awkward :saddowns:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Moving while casting is a fun dance. Even PLD gets in on the action.

Basically you have to stutterstep of sorts and you must be stand still when you start your next cast.

If your cast takes the entire GCD (or longer) you only have half a second to move at the end of the cast.

This should give you an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAGNizT-6xo

It takes a little practice but once you have a flow its not bad.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If I get a bad tank in Brayflox, gearwise or no crystal, I'd be more inclined to tell them where to get the crystal and the latest vendor greys and then bail because they might be inclined to actually go do it then.

I've been finding that tanks are just playing like poo poo recently in all levels of content though. Extremely poor use of cooldowns or just not at all.

Yeah the “pull 3+ packs at once, not use any cooldowns” or the “use cooldowns but all at once” is really burning my out leveling up a healer :sigh:

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah the “pull 3+ packs at once, not use any cooldowns” or the “use cooldowns but all at once” is really burning my out leveling up a healer :sigh:

WHM's insane throughput and my leveling the job entirely through stormblood dungeons resulting in always being up-to-date with gear meant i could handle even the shittiest tank 95% of the time and it actually became kind of fun because if they survive the initial alpha and don't stand in the orange, you can bandage them up just long enough to actually reduce the amount of incoming damage with infinite holy and that's a drat good feel

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Waci posted:

Probably not ilevel sync, but level sync for sure. It's my favourite HW fight. Though I didn't do a8s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Xarbala posted:

As a heads up, while knowing the fight is good, the important part is making sure the rest of the party also knows and filling them in if they don't. Most people should be understanding, especially if you mention you've lost a half an hour to a failed run because of people who didn't know.

When running PotD 41-50, I like to ask if anyone's new right at the start. If anyone's new, I let them know to be prepared for a mechanics rundown before the fight. I explain the eye mechanic, and that, aside from the first big aoe, she tends to do two in a row: run away and then immediately run close, or vice versa.

But I think if you let people know right away that the boss fight has a few tricks, they're a bit more invested and more likely to wait for the explanation, too. Up to that point, the floor bosses have been pretty simple so sometimes people just run in.