Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ahahahaha. They can shove that up their asses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ahahahaha. They can shove that up their asses.

Essentially what I said but much more pleasant. I asked them to find a single line in an email where I said I was buying the car.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Well you 'intended' to buy the car, but they made you change your mind with their bullshit. An intent to buy isn't a promise to buy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

Well you 'intended' to buy the car, but they made you change your mind with their bullshit. An intent to buy isn't a promise to buy.

I never actually said I was going to buy it, just that I was interested and asked a boatload of questions. Every time they asked when I wanted to take delivery I evaded until I found out more.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

And since you were dealing with them over e-mail, you've got that price in writing, right? They're the ones who won't honor the agreed upon price, so that's enough reason for you to walk away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not too worried, there's like 124 MS6's for sale within the continental US, I'm sure one of them will meet my requirements.

Edit: The worst part of this, I have 18K burning a gigantic loving hole in my pocket. Must be strong, must be strong...

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 29, 2011

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Impending purchase...

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

Care to post details so we can talk you in or out of it?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SynMoo posted:

Care to post details so we can talk you in or out of it?

Too late! Paid for it and it'll be on a truck to me this Monday!
Imgur appears to be down so no pics for you until later!

Bum bum bum

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 31, 2011

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Lovely!

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
That looks very nice!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It begins it's journey to me today, so loving stoked.

It does have two flaws, it has a dent in the left rear corner but the paint isn't cracked so I might be able to get it popped out. Besides that there's a scratch on the front. Clean Carfax, 26K miles. Paid $15K for it.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

It begins it's journey to me today, so loving stoked.

It does have two flaws, it has a dent in the left rear corner but the paint isn't cracked so I might be able to get it popped out. Besides that there's a scratch on the front. Clean Carfax, 26K miles. Paid $15K for it.

If you want help detailing it up I'm in Fort Wayne and I've got a dual-action polisher and a shitload of polishes and buffing pads. I might be able to get that scratch out depending on how deep it goes. What side of town do you live on?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

If you want help detailing it up I'm in Fort Wayne and I've got a dual-action polisher and a shitload of polishes and buffing pads. I might be able to get that scratch out depending on how deep it goes. What side of town do you live on?

North East, up towards Leo. I have a few body & paint buds who've offered to look at the den and the scratch.

Should I mention how excited I am?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

North East, up towards Leo. I have a few body & paint buds who've offered to look at the den and the scratch.

Should I mention how excited I am?

Ah were on opposite sides of town, I'm southwest. You drat well should be excited! You're soon to be driving a very awesome car.

Also, you got a very good price on it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
As soon as I get the bumpers sorted we can go cruise!

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

While we are talking about Mazdas in Fort Wayne, I went and looked at this car with my buddy yesterday:

http://imagecarsinc.com/newandusedcars/0/994702/f4038cac-2d8e-49db-a2a3-f555a5010181/none/2006-Mazda-MAZDA3-FortWayne-IN-46808.aspx

He wanted me to help him look it over and I actually really like it. He has two kids and we are both homebrewers who haul a lot of gear and kegs around all the time. This is why I really recommended he go with the liftback style. He is also looking at a 6 tonight with the Mondeo V6, but I don't think he would use the power and would probably rather have the improved fuel economy of the 2.3 in the 3.

My question is that when we were test driving the 3 I noticed when you turned on the headlights a strange humming noise came from the passenger side headlamp. It wasn't an idle up, the engine stayed the same and it was definitely coming from the headlamp assembly. Is this a bad sign? It was pretty loud and if that mean the unit is on it's way out he should be aware because I assume that isn't a super cheap fix.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

While we are talking about Mazdas in Fort Wayne, I went and looked at this car with my buddy yesterday:

http://imagecarsinc.com/newandusedcars/0/994702/f4038cac-2d8e-49db-a2a3-f555a5010181/none/2006-Mazda-MAZDA3-FortWayne-IN-46808.aspx

He wanted me to help him look it over and I actually really like it. He has two kids and we are both homebrewers who haul a lot of gear and kegs around all the time. This is why I really recommended he go with the liftback style. He is also looking at a 6 tonight with the Mondeo V6, but I don't think he would use the power and would probably rather have the improved fuel economy of the 2.3 in the 3.

My question is that when we were test driving the 3 I noticed when you turned on the headlights a strange humming noise came from the passenger side headlamp. It wasn't an idle up, the engine stayed the same and it was definitely coming from the headlamp assembly. Is this a bad sign? It was pretty loud and if that mean the unit is on it's way out he should be aware because I assume that isn't a super cheap fix.

While I can't help you with the humming problem I can advise you to stay far away from Image Cars. They are the definition of scummy car dealer. I'd rather buy from O'Daniels.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

While I can't help you with the humming problem I can advise you to stay far away from Image Cars. They are the definition of scummy car dealer. I'd rather buy from O'Daniels.
The 6 he is looking at is a private seller, which I would always rather be dealing with. However I don't think odaniels has any manual Mazda3s on the lot right now. He is trying to keep it between $10-12k.

What have you heard bad about image? They just got the car in and we saw the carfax, plus he isn't going to be using their financing. I do think they could come down a little on the price, that's about $500 over blue book and there is one scratch in addition to the headlight issue.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

What have you heard bad about image? They just got the car in and we saw the carfax, plus he isn't going to be using their financing. I do think they could come down a little on the price, that's about $500 over blue book and there is one scratch in addition to the headlight issue.

COCAINE. Them and Rose City Motors. Need a car? Need a fix? They can help you out!

One of their managers used to come into Peanuts (bar I work at) all the time and he's a shitbag. Been tossed out of quite a few places for his bullshit.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

COCAINE. Them and Rose City Motors. Need a car? Need a fix? They can help you out!

One of their managers used to come into Peanuts (bar I work at) all the time and he's a shitbag. Been tossed out of quite a few places for his bullshit.
Hmm, the Mazda3 does have that handy little compartment in the hatch that would perfectly hold bricks of Cocaine. I bet they used it for a drug run.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tonedef131 posted:

Hmm, the Mazda3 does have that handy little compartment in the hatch that would perfectly hold bricks of Cocaine. I bet they used it for a drug run.

You can probably find it in the Journal Gazette archives, they got busted a few years back, they have a "new owner" and they moved their lot to shake off the bad rep. Still the same people though.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

The only dealership I've ever bought from was out in New Haven...BONECUTTER AUTO SALES "BECAUSE WE CUT PRICES TO THE BONE!" :ughh:

Apparently I was the first car he ever sold, and he gave me a nasty look when I removed his dealership sticker off the car before even pulling out of the lot. Normally I avoid dealerships but I didn't much care in this case, the car was clean as hell and the price was right. My wife still drives it 3 years later and it's been great, I actually feel kinda bad because I traded in a total lemon of a 3rd Gen Prelude. I saw someone post on craigslist about how he was crook a few months later...I'm wondering if they bought the 'lude I had traded in.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

As soon as I get the bumpers sorted we can go cruise!
Besides bombing the on-ramps to 69, what fun roads are there around here??

tonedef131 posted:

I don't know what could really be wrong, those didn't have HID lights unless it has aftermarket ones installed. Maybe the bulb is just about to go out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Brain Issues posted:

God it's been 10 years since I had a quick car I have no idea. Been rocking the Jeep so long and you don't really need roads for that.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

Auburn road is pretty bad rear end and sorta deposits you in Devils Hollow which is also hilly/curvy. Although these can be dangerous because a lot of it is blind, especially this time of year because cyclists like it for the same reason motorists do. There is some nice stuff out off of Butler road too.

You guys going to autocross at IPFW on the 17th?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

tonedef131 posted:

Auburn road is pretty bad rear end and sorta deposits you in Devils Hollow which is also hilly/curvy. Although these can be dangerous because a lot of it is blind, especially this time of year because cyclists like it for the same reason motorists do. There is some nice stuff out off of Butler road too.

You guys going to autocross at IPFW on the 17th?

Yeah those roads are fun as poo poo but theres always cyclists on them and like you said, blind corners.

Yeah, I'll be going to that autocross. Are you? It'll my first autocross event in my own car and also my first autocross event ran by the FWSCCA. I hope the FWSCCA isn't just a bunch of doriftu people.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

Yeah, I'll be going to that autocross. Are you? It'll my first autocross event in my own car and also my first autocross event ran by the FWSCCA. I hope the FWSCCA isn't just a bunch of doriftu people.
I'm planning on it, just gotta pick up a helmet before then. I've never driven in an autocross before but I've attended a few of them just as a spectator, but it's been a few years even since doing that. Most of the guys seemed pretty cool and there was a good variety of cars, but that could have all changed by now. I know one of my buddies is planning to run his NA miata if he can get his torsen put in by then. I have two other friends who I'm trying to talk into it, one in a MKIII Supra and one in a G35, but they both seem hesitant for some reason.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm attending but not competing. Not nearly ready for that yet.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

tonedef131 posted:

I'm planning on it, just gotta pick up a helmet before then. I've never driven in an autocross before but I've attended a few of them just as a spectator, but it's been a few years even since doing that. Most of the guys seemed pretty cool and there was a good variety of cars, but that could have all changed by now. I know one of my buddies is planning to run his NA miata if he can get his torsen put in by then. I have two other friends who I'm trying to talk into it, one in a MKIII Supra and one in a G35, but they both seem hesitant for some reason.
Awesome! Will you be driving the IS300? If you cant find a helmet you can borrow mine unless we're going at the same time. I do have quite a small head though so it probably won't fit unless you have a freakishly small head too.

Rhyno posted:

I'm attending but not competing. Not nearly ready for that yet.

Practice makes perfect! I'm a noob who sucks at driving, I'll probably hit a few cones or maybe even go off course, but how am I going to get better without trying? I thought that I wasn't ready either when we autocrossed my girlfriends brother's miata. I did awful, but at least I learned how to be better my next time out.

You should do ittt. :D

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Brain Issues posted:

Awesome! Will you be driving the IS300? If you cant find a helmet you can borrow mine unless we're going at the same time. I do have quite a small head though so it probably won't fit unless you have a freakishly small head too.
I think so. I really want to get it out there to see how it can do but I would also like to push my Z through a course sometime. Right now the Z isn't even plated or insured though and had a little idle issue when I put it away, so I doubt I'll have that ready to go this month. Plus I probably have better tires on the IS at this point so I'm sure that's what it will be in

Brain Issues posted:

Practice makes perfect! I'm a noob who sucks at driving, I'll probably hit a few cones or maybe even go off course, but how am I going to get better without trying? I thought that I wasn't ready either when we autocrossed my girlfriends brother's miata. I did awful, but at least I learned how to be better my next time out.

You should do ittt. :D
I agree with this, it's my first time out too and I also daily drove a Jeep for years. If you're going to bother coming out why not drive?

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

Did you also hear the humming on the driver's side? It may have just been the normal noise the ballast makes for the HID lamps.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

SynMoo posted:

Did you also hear the humming on the driver's side? It may have just been the normal noise the ballast makes for the HID lamps.
Nope, it was only from the passenger side and was loud enough you could hear it from the cabin.

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

tonedef131 posted:

Nope, it was only from the passenger side and was loud enough you could hear it from the cabin.

Maybe a leveler motor is jammed/broken.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

SynMoo posted:

Maybe a leveler motor is jammed/broken.
A good suggestion, I told him to be sure and have that checked out before even negotiating price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Bum bum bum

I don't mind the MS3 wheels, but the MS6 wheels just plain look nicer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't mind the MS3 wheels, but the MS6 wheels just plain look nicer.

Agreed, one of the cars I missed out on had aftermarket wheels and they were horrible. I have this urge to have them painted white because I think white wheels on a car look awesome. Feel free to tell me I'm stupid though.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Rhyno posted:

Agreed, one of the cars I missed out on had aftermarket wheels and they were horrible. I have this urge to have them painted white because I think white wheels on a car look awesome. Feel free to tell me I'm stupid though.

Nah man, I think it would look sweet as hell with white wheels.

It already looks REALLY good with those wheels silver though (I love those wheels), so unless you're painting them yourself it might not be worth the cost to have it done. Also, you might want to consider that white wheels would total bitch to keep looking clean, and thats kind of a lot of spokes. Brake dusttt :argh:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

What I kinda dig are Gen2 wheels on the Gen1 MS3 (not my car):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And if the OEM pads on the MS6 are anything like those on the MS3, your pads will practically shed dust while your car is parked. They work great but generate insane amounts of dust. The Hawks I have now are great because they only lost a little initial bite but have almost no dust.