Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhoIsBarryBostwick
Sep 17, 2008

You're going to like the way you look...I guarantee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Watching season 5 of DS9 and I'm up to the latest episode of Something Awful Happens to O'Brien. After this, I have one Voyager episode to watch and then I can finally watch Trial and Tribulations. During much of the watchthrough, I get through it by telling myself I do this because I am culturally literate, rolling my eyes and MST3K-riffing my way through the episodes (my Janeway imitation sounds a little like Jon Lovitz and a little like Buster from Arrested Development!), but I am genuinely enjoying this Colm Meaney-focused episode and genuinely looking forward to T&T.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Bicyclops posted:

Watching season 5 of DS9 and I'm up to the latest episode of Something Awful Happens to O'Brien.

Did he open a fitness log and get mocked by FYAD for his pathetic lifts? :ohdear:

nmx
May 16, 2004

If Voyager is on (what I presume is) a straight course back to the Alpha Quadrant at maximum cruising speed (which I think they stated was past warp 9), how do they keep running into the EXACT SAME Kazon?

Even accounting for the occasional stop in a coffee-filled nebula it makes no sense.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Did he open a fitness log and get mocked by FYAD for his pathetic lifts? :ohdear:

Worse. He opened up an E/N thread about Keiko's possession and when people called him crazy, it activated his prison program PTSD. :(

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Terrible writing, e/n would've told him to sever

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Does Janeway ever give "that uniform speech"? The closest I can remember is when she lectured Ransom that they "swore an oath to seek out new life, not destroy it".

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

nmx posted:

If Voyager is on (what I presume is) a straight course back to the Alpha Quadrant at maximum cruising speed (which I think they stated was past warp 9), how do they keep running into the EXACT SAME Kazon?

Even accounting for the occasional stop in a coffee-filled nebula it makes no sense.

Son, in the second-last episode of the series, they find a colony of Talaxians, even though they are ~35 years at warp 9 from the Talaxian homeworld.

In the immortal words of some film-watching robots, "they just didn't care."

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Usually in order to show that Janeway was a Strong Female Character they had her say "I can see your point of view and I am sympathetic, BUT I AM THE CAPTAIN LAUNCH THOSE WARP PARTICLES :byodame:" to everyone, from Nazis to Chakotay.

nmx
May 16, 2004

Marshal Radisic posted:

Son, in the second-last episode of the series, they find a colony of Talaxians, even though they are ~35 years at warp 9 from the Talaxian homeworld.

Oh yeah. Good point.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nothus Infelix posted:

I remember it. There are a couple references in Google Books. Here's one from Sexual Generations: Star Trek The Next Generation and Gender. It's quoting Jeff Greenwald's book Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth, but the Google Books preview of Sexual Generations had a fuller quote.

The split infinitive at the end gives a very Star Trekky feel to Mr. Braga's mission statement.

God, I wish it had been a fever dream, but I guess it might go some way to explain his apparent gender issues and/or catsuit obsessions.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

While we're on the subject, wasn't Jeri Ryan also dating Braga for a while? And doing so primarily to get back at her creeptastic husband?

Ya know, sometimes I think it's best we don't know entirely what happened behind the scenes on Voyager.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

nine-gear crow posted:

Terra Nova had a great premier, and a great finale and then like 10 episodes of static in between them, punctuated by brief moments life and warmth whenever Stephen Lang, or his crazy-rear end son, or the snarky British doctor appeared on screen.

Whoops, got Terra Nova mixed up with Terra Prime and thought you were talking about the Enterprise episode.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

There is actually an episode of Enterprise called Terra Nova.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Trickjaw posted:

But why? Sit around in there playing card games? It makes no sense at all. This had to be something he said when ripped off his tits on coke.

I might agree if I didn't know it was a fetish shared by others.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Based on Data's performance in TNG "Gambit", I think the Federation would benefit greatly from a fleet run by Datas. Maddox had the right idea. TNG "Measure of a Man" is melodramatic fraud.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Mr. Jive posted:

Based on Data's performance in TNG "Gambit", I think the Federation would benefit greatly from a fleet run by Datas. Maddox had the right idea. TNG "Measure of a Man" is melodramatic fraud.

Yeah until it gets taken over by an army of Lores who just want to feed UFP citizens all to an evil Christmas tree.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mr. Jive posted:

Right, and we totally should have let MacArthur drop the A-bomb on those goddamn Red Chinese, too!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr. Jive posted:

He can be taken over by a remote control and take over the ship easily. He is dangerous and should not be allowed to be on a ship. He should be replaced by Doctor and have Data doing the mining.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

He can be taken over by a remote control and take over the ship easily. He is dangerous and should not be allowed to be on a ship. He should be replaced by Doctor and have Data doing the mining.

Honestly, starships should totally have automatic Emergency Command Holograms for when the crew all get gassed/kidnapped/viruses/hyperevolved.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In the future (at least in the future, post-Generations) all ships appear to have an EMH onboard.

Crusher sent the EMH on the Enterprise-E to distract the Borg as they were breaking into sickbay in First Contact.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Just install holo-emitters everywhere, next time your ship gets boarded generate a swarm of bees to repel invaders.

Oh and if your ship gets damaged, a swarm of engineer bees to repair the damage.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

1st AD posted:

Just install holo-emitters everywhere, next time your ship gets boarded generate a swarm of bees to repel invaders.

Oh and if your ship gets damaged, a swarm of engineer bees to repair the damage.

But what happens when the bees get into your eyes?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

I wonder if you could create a holographic Enterprise that has a duplicate of everything onboard, including the holodeck running the program with the holographic Enterprise on it?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

But what happens when the bees get into your eyes?

Obviously you need to remember to program a bee IFF system to make sure they don't attack you accidentally.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Marshal Radisic posted:

In the immortal words of some film-watching robots, "they just didn't care."

Another word for "second to last" is "penultimate", which is a considerably more awesome word. Just a little PSA.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder if you could create a holographic Enterprise that has a duplicate of everything onboard, including the holodeck running the program with the holographic Enterprise on it?

:aaaaa:

I know that in the Star Trek: Armada video games the Nebula class starships were like the Federation's space mages. I seem to recall one of their abilities being that they could use advanced holographic projection tech to create a temporary holographic duplicate of any allied ship, complete with working weapons and poo poo. ...At least I think it was holograms.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Who needs holograms when every Starfleet ship has a life-sized balloon version of itself ready for action?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

1st AD posted:

Who needs holograms when every Starfleet ship has a life-sized balloon version of itself ready for action?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

1st AD posted:

Why do I get the feeling this was the way Starfleet handled the whole "Emergency Command Hologram" thing that Voyager brought back from the Delta Quadrant. Captain says, "Computer, activate ECH" and they're suddenly pushed out their chair by an inflatable redshirt, Airplane!-style.

EDIT

Sweet JESUS! I thought you were joking...

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

1st AD posted:

Does the balloon Enterprise also have a holodeck except instead of using photons and forcefields it uses balloons for everything?

Balloon world! :3:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

Does the balloon Enterprise also have a holodeck except instead of using photons and forcefields it uses balloons for everything?

Balloon world! :3:

I assume it also plays 99 Luftballons when you are in this holodeck?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's like Inception man...holodecks inside holodecks inside balloons

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
And then some jackass says "computer, end program" and it kicks up all the way to the "real world" holodeck and suddenly the universe ends.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

You mean, the balloon pops.

Because we're all inside a balloon.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

:aaaaa:

I know that in the Star Trek: Armada video games the Nebula class starships were like the Federation's space mages. I seem to recall one of their abilities being that they could use advanced holographic projection tech to create a temporary holographic duplicate of any allied ship, complete with working weapons and poo poo. ...At least I think it was holograms.

I think the ability you're thinking of was the Gemini Effect, and that just created a temporary temporal copy of an allied ship. STO actually has that ability; science-based player characters eventually get an ability called "Photonic Fleet," which causes three random allied ships to appear and start firing phasers/torpedoes and whatnot. It's...not that useful, to be honest.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

1st AD posted:

You mean, the balloon pops.

Because we're all inside a balloon.

No, but our balloon universe intersects with their balloon holodeck.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

There is actually an episode of Enterprise called Terra Nova.

I totally forgot that, but regardless, I was thinking of the penultimate episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

I think the ability you're thinking of was the Gemini Effect, and that just created a temporary temporal copy of an allied ship. STO actually has that ability; science-based player characters eventually get an ability called "Photonic Fleet," which causes three random allied ships to appear and start firing phasers/torpedoes and whatnot. It's...not that useful, to be honest.

Yeah, that was it. I guess I assumed it was holograms because it sounded only slightly more plausible than more timey wimey bullshit. Plus, the thought of a temporal copy of an entire starship coming into being and then winking out of existence a few minutes later seems like the kind of existentially horrifying, Temporal Prime Directive-violating poo poo that Starfleet R&D would probably put the kibosh on rather quickly, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Don't forget FlashForward.

"I was loaded... OKAY?!?!?!"

(Okay, Braga actually wasn't responsible for that part. Just the show's premise and pilot.)

I still can't believe he had the nerve to create a whole show called "Threshold".

• Locked thread