Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, gently caress, thank you! Now I get it! I really do!

But wait, if this, then... who is the Wild? My favoured team, which Trek represents them?! :ohdear:

Oh that's easy. You're Enterprise. A young show with potential that it never really fulfills, ending in bitter disappointment and angry fans. In short, a pale imitation of the true classics....like my Chicago Blackhawks, for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Shadeoses posted:

Two seasons, that way we can get more borderline good episodes and argue over which season is better.

Oddly enough I asked a friend of mine to compile a list like this awhile ago which I still have. I asked for a mix of episodes (mostly good a plus a few of the bad ones) which would generally cover the main plot points so I could watch the series in an abbreviated fashion. He sent me a 53 episode compilation which was more than I wanted and resulted in me just watching the whole series eventually. But hey list!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

This thread has accumulated more sports references in the past day than the past ten threads added up.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Nov 2, 2013

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MikeJF posted:

This thread has accumulated more sports references in the past day than the past ten threads added up.

Well, only if you don't count Anbo-Jyutsu.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
I was gonna warn you all about Vagabundo in the OP but I'm all "nah. it's been a while. maybe it won't happen" and I've never felt dumber in my life

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Dark One posted:

Well, only if you don't count Anbo-Jyutsu.

Anbo-Jyutsu is not a sport, it is an art.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

poo poo, don't call it an art, now Data's looking it up on Wikipedia and writing a custom algorithm which will allow him to play it more good.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

None of these non-NYC sports references have any traction for me. But if I were to make a wild guess, watching Voyager is like watching the Mets under Joe Torre. Lots of one-run games that stretch into extra innings with the Mets often losing.

For some graphic content, here's a post shamelessly lifted from BSS, original poster Mister Beeg.

Nina's Adventures (January 1989)

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Brawnfire posted:

Why don't Ferengi ears have ear canals? Do they have no internal ear physiology?

Their ears are a mixture of ear and cock n' balls.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

DemeaninDemon posted:

Their ears are a mixture of ear and cock n' balls.

If Ferengi ears are erogenous does that mean that one time Odo was dragging him to the brig by the ear was basically BDSM play?

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
So, is it ok to talk poo poo about Rick Berman now?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Otisburg posted:

If Ferengi ears are erogenous does that mean that one time Odo was dragging him to the brig by the ear was basically BDSM play?
It would be like grabbing someone by the dick and dragging them around like that; it's excruciating pain and super embarrassing, and Odo totally knew this and that's why he grabbed the ear.

Because, you know. Humanoids. Solids.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Vagabundo posted:

Course: Oblivion is my most hated because it teases us with the best outcome to a Voyager episode ever, only to cruelly snatch it away from us.
I'm still not sure why that episode even exists. It's a dumb waste of time.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hyperriker posted:

I was gonna warn you all about Vagabundo in the OP but I'm all "nah. it's been a while. maybe it won't happen" and I've never felt dumber in my life

This is why England have the Ashes and the Wallabies are a joke.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Otisburg posted:

No Odo doesn't partake in such feeble, solid matters.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Throwdown posted:

So, is it ok to talk poo poo about Rick Berman now?

Eh, it does get a bit tiresome and there's a lot of blame to go around to a lot of people.

Plus didn't he apologize for some of the lovely episodes anyhow

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Rick Berman just strikes me as a nice guy who made a few bad and stupid decisions running Star Trek.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Berman was on Trek for like, two decades. With that range of time, you're gonna gently caress up here and there. I have no real enmity for Rick Berman.

Brannon Braga, on the other hand...

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Berman saved Trek from Roddenberry. The problem was he got complacent and tried to make 80s TV in the 90s and didn't realize it didn't work anymore until it was too late.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Berman saved Trek from Roddenberry. The problem was he got complacent and tried to make 80s TV in the 90s 2000 and didn't realize it didn't work anymore until it was too late.

fixed

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

More Rent-a-Shat fun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJnYcdtDDw

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Berman was on Trek for like, two decades. With that range of time, you're gonna gently caress up here and there. I have no real enmity for Rick Berman.

Brannon Braga, on the other hand...

Braga strikes me as the kind of guy who's governed by his emotions. He does stupid poo poo like "Threshold" or that whole "I'm gonna ruin the end of Enterprise so bad they will pay multiple authors tens of thousands of dollars to write books retconning it out of existence because I'm pissed that Rick likes Manny Coto more than he does me now" thing because it feels like a good idea at the time. And then when he calms down and looks at it with more sober eyes, he realizes what a mistake it was, and apologizes profusely for it.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 2, 2013

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Braga strikes me as the kind of guy who was probably bored and wanted to do something else by the time Voyager rolled around, but couldn't pass up an "Executive Producer" bullet point on his resume.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Many years ago (during Voyager's run) I read that Braga in an interview somewhere said that his fantasy was to use the holodeck to make a gigantic woman whose vagina he could crawl entirely inside of.

I don't know if that's true, or a fevered dream because I can't find it. Anyone remember this?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Trent posted:

Many years ago (during Voyager's run) I read that Braga in an interview somewhere said that his fantasy was to use the holodeck to make a gigantic woman whose vagina he could crawl entirely inside of.

I don't know if that's true, or a fevered dream because I can't find it. Anyone remember this?

I find it hard to believe a professional would say that in a public interview.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Thom12255 posted:

I find it hard to believe a professional would say that in a public interview.

I find it hard to believe that a professional would put his name on such disasters as Star Trek: Voyager and Terra Nova, but here we are.

Also you should check out the Community thread because that show's creator says dumb poo poo on a regular basis.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Braga produced the final seasons of 24, and those seasons are all loving amazing. So I think maybe he's just not a guy who should be creating, but just running someone else's show and writing, it's not too bad.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

1st AD posted:

I find it hard to believe that a professional would put his name on such disasters as Star Trek: Voyager and Terra Nova, but here we are.

Also you should check out the Community thread because that show's creator says dumb poo poo on a regular basis.

Terra Nova is fine, it's These Are The Voyages that is hosed. And to be honest I didn't even care that much because I <3 fat Riker.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Terra Nova had a great premier, and a great finale and then like 10 episodes of static in between them, punctuated by brief moments life and warmth whenever Stephen Lang, or his crazy-rear end son, or the snarky British doctor appeared on screen.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Stephen Lang was at my college reunion this year. Also I played rugby with his son.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Braga produced the final seasons of 24, and those seasons are all loving amazing. So I think maybe he's just not a guy who should be creating, but just running someone else's show and writing, it's not too bad.

There's also an argument that maybe Braga's scripts wouldn't be so terrible without the interference of network suits from two different networks.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

When Braga is on, he's loving on. When he's off...

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Berman strikes me as the kind of guy who makes shows that Grandpa Simpson would enjoy. Because he's the kind of rear end in a top hat who tries to please everyone.

Nothus Infelix
Jan 1, 2006
Scelesti vulgus superstitiosus ignavusque sunt.

Trent posted:

I remember it. There are a couple references in Google Books. Here's one from Sexual Generations: Star Trek The Next Generation and Gender. It's quoting Jeff Greenwald's book Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth, but the Google Books preview of Sexual Generations had a fuller quote.

quote:

Producer Brannon Braga's fantasy, reported by Jeff Greenwald, is surely pertinent here. Braga explains, "'The female body, as a functional instrument, obsesses me'" (55-56). Directly connecting the female body to science fiction, Braga continues, "'My greatest fantasy is to be with the fifty-foot woman from those schmaltzy 1950s sci-fi films. That would be the ultimate: to actually crawl up into a vagina'" (56).
The split infinitive at the end gives a very Star Trekky feel to Mr. Braga's mission statement.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Astroman posted:

When Braga is on, he's loving on. When he's off...

Yeah, when he was a TNG writer, he was responsible for some of the best.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Nothus Infelix posted:

I remember it. There are a couple references in Google Books. Here's one from Sexual Generations: Star Trek The Next Generation and Gender. It's quoting Jeff Greenwald's book Future Perfect: How Star Trek Conquered Planet Earth, but the Google Books preview of Sexual Generations had a fuller quote.

The split infinitive at the end gives a very Star Trekky feel to Mr. Braga's mission statement.

To boldly crawl into orifices where no man has been before.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Nothus Infelix posted:

What he should really do is go to the Holodeck and activate Data's Freud program, because that has "Freudian Field Day" written all over it.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Bicyclops posted:

What he should really do is go to the Holodeck and activate Data's Freud program, because that has "Freudian Field Day" written all over it.

Yeah it's to the point that I almost think it just is a reference to Freud.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

quote:

to actually crawl up into a vagina'

But why? Sit around in there playing card games? It makes no sense at all. This had to be something he said when ripped off his tits on coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Trickjaw posted:

But why? Sit around in there playing card games? It makes no sense at all. This had to be something he said when ripped off his tits on coke.

Some men want to be astronauts, others want to be a human dildo.

• Locked thread