Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

JonTerp posted:

We have a pretty large community both on Slack and IRC. Nobody was "chided", but the server was tagged and marked as "The SAGameDev Discord" (not a "general app and dev server"). To avoid confusion and ensure newcomers find the right channels of communication the server owner was asked to change the title and not promote it as the "official" SAGameDev Discord.

As far as being overbearing I am interested to hear what specifically made you feel that way, since not much has changed since last year.

edit:

In other news

https://twitter.com/awfuljams/status/761038189007998981

Awww yeah, 2nd to last on the final day. Expectations won't be high then. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Mo_Steel posted:

Awww yeah, 2nd to last on the final day. Expectations won't be high then. :smithicide:

I think #Everest was the last game played on the gong show last time and we won in a category so I don't think the order has much to do with anyone's opinion of your game. :shrug:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
The judges and gong show tend to be pretty fair. Super fancy graphics and a bit of jank don't matter too much if your game was a good idea or you executed it well for your skill level.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

ALFbrot posted:

The streams are archived and viewable afterwards.

Yeah I know, but half the fun of a stream is watching it live.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Keket posted:

Yeah I know, but half the fun of a stream is watching it live.

Move to America

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout post mortem is up:

For my 3rd SA Game Jam, I wanted to work with a team so I could focus on things I am better at while leave art and music to people more qualified.

InevitableCheese joined as our artist and A1programmer (a personal friend and SA lurker) was originally going to be another programmer for us, but he had some personal stuff come up and was only able to work on sound effects.

During the planning period, we were hoping that the theme would be Terrible Tie-ins. Our plan was to make a crime scene investigation game (something like Phoenix Wright) with product placement, but the product was always used in some horrible crime that no company would want to be associated with. ie: "The rapist didn't leave any DNA behind because he used Centurion brand condoms, and those never leak!"

When the theme was announced, we kicked around several ideas before settling on a 2d side scrolling stealth game that turns into an action game. I say settled because while I personally didn't think that the idea was terrible, I wasn't really in love with it either. But we weren't coming up with anything better.

I wrote up a short design document that covered the concepts of the game. After we went over it and discussed how we wanted to impliment different things, I started work in Unreal Engine and InevitableCheese started making sprites and tiles in Aesprite.

InevitableCheese "Drawing legs is hard"

I started with the 2D side scroller template in UE, but it doesn't provide a whole lot and what it did provide was mostly replaced or altered. Everything was done in Blueprint, Unreal Engines visual programming language. I did make use of the "Nativize Blueprint" option, which converts the Blueprint to C++ code and then compiles it. This should provide a performance increase, but the game isn't very heavy, so it shouldn't matter on anything but very low end systems.

Design wise, we took some inspiration from games like "Gunpoint" and "Mark of the Ninja", with their faster paced combat and hitscan weapons. My goal was to make an action game with some simple puzzle elements. Levels were designed to be beaten with a specific series of actions (hide from this guy, kill, those 2, then hide from the last one), but the player can beat it anyway they are able to. I also tried very hard to work the tutorial into the gameplay so that the levels introduce concepts slowly and make sure that the difficulty curve didn't get out of hand. The hardest level should be level 7. Levels 8 and 9 are actually impossible to lose and were considered to be a "Victory Lap" for the player.

We decided to make the world switching a player controlled game mechanic rather than something that is triggered in the game. We had talked about several different ways to impliment this such as a hallucination meter that depleted while you were in the hallucination world, or a limited number of times you could switch between worlds. In the end, limiting the number of bullets the player had in the hallucination world was the easiest to impliment and the easiest to convey to the player.

There was some concern that having the 2 world mechanic would require too much work since all the art would have to be created twice, but InevitableCheese was able to create and then edit more of the sprites and tiles pretty quickly. The enemy AI wasn't too hard to modify for alternate behavior either.

The game is remarkably close to the original design document. There were only a few concepts that were dropped from it. Originally, we wanted to give Grandpa more places to hide like lockers and desk, but we didn't pursue this because it would be functionally the same as the doorways. We had planned on making crowds of other seniors that Grandpa could hide in that would run away if you fired a gun in the hallucination world. This was just dropped because it would have required a lot more sprites in our limited time and I didn't think it would add a whole lot to the existing game play. Finally, I tested making the Nazi's come to investigate the area if the player fired their gun, but making the enemies leave their patrol area kind of broke a lot of the level design and ruined the game play. I found it to be a lot more playable if the enemy AI was kind of stupid and more predictable.

The only development problems I had were related to a couple of functions I used in Unreal Engine not being documented well. The first was related to Tilemaps. If you just take a texture and make tiles out of it, your tilemap in game will periodically get little white lines at the tile seams. You have to right click on your tileset and select "Condition" which will pad the tiles. I am unclear why this is not done automatically. The other issue was the audio crossfade. It's not very well documented and is really meant for sound cues to play different sounds based on distance from the player, but I was able to get it to act as a real time crossfading mixer tied to the world transitions.

Speaking of music, I asked Rupert Buttarmilk to do our music. I wanted the music to crossfade when the world changed. Rupert was really excited about the prospect and came up with, what I think is, some fantastic tracks for our game

Rupert Buttarmilk "I use Logic Pro 9 for all of my musical work, and I really dug the idea behind one track seamlessly transitioning into another. With that in mind, I composed two tracks at the same time for each musical piece requested. There was a 'Side A', which was meant to sound not just more reserved and 'muzak-like', but also filtered so it would sound as if it was being played over the PA of the nursing home when you're playing as the old man. However, when you hallucinate and you're back in the trenches, I wanted something completely different, upbeat, really almost silly but serious at the same time for the Side B tracks. My Logic project had two sets of tracks with mostly different instrumentation for each set (some shared instruments, in a couple cases), but it was all the same key, same tempo, same length. This allowed me to bounce (or render) the file twice, each time with a different set of tracks muted, and get two files that were exactly the same size and length. This process ensured both tracks, if triggered simultaneously by the game engine, would always be perfectly in sync with each other, allowing for a nice transition effect whenever the player triggered that.

It's amazing how much faster a track can get when you just double-time the drums :allears:

For those interested, plugins used were:

Various from the Logic Pro 9 default set (especially the ES1, for a lot of the 8-bit sounds)
Kirk Hunter Ruby/Emerald Symphony
Addictive Drums 2
reFX's QuadraSIDD
I'm probably going to upload some sort of mix for the soundtrack up on my Soundcloud here -> https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/tracks

There we go. Guess I had more to say than I thought!"

Windows download Grumpy Grandpa in the Big Breakout here

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Back from holiday what did I miss? Oh yeah making and submitting my game v:v:v

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My post mortem is up. :words:

http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/grandpas-medicine

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
Wet Grandpa Post-Mortem

Wet Grandpa was a great learning experience and a terrible game. I've never made a game as complete as this, nor have I used Unity to any real extent, so I can't rag on myself too hard. Yes, it would have been nice to have sound. Yes, it would have been nice to have a more complicated spawner with different waves and additional enemies. Yes, a high score screen would have been a nice finishing touch.

However, I did manage to create my first 3d art assets with a coherent style. I created (I think) a nice looking and nicely lit little level, my first 3d level since my days of Half Life single player maps. I completed a game loop from menu, to game, to endstate, with the ability to pause, restart, and exit from all applicable game states.

I feel like my game probably deserves the Wall of Shame given the complete lack of sound, the lack of clear explanation of the goal (stay alive as long as you can until death comes for you, as it does all of us), and lack of high score screen given that it's an arcade high-score type of game. Also the controls on keyboard sucks and is best played on gamepad, by far. I also would have liked to have a little animated hand with a cane.

Anyhow, come next Awful Jam I'm going to be prepared to hit the ground running. For now I still have lots of Unity/C# to learn so that I can start worrying about making a game that's actually *fun*, which is much harder than making a game that's just... technically a game.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Zarikov posted:

Wet Grandpa Post-Mortem

Wet Grandpa was a great learning experience and a terrible game. I've never made a game as complete as this, nor have I used Unity to any real extent, so I can't rag on myself too hard. Yes, it would have been nice to have sound. Yes, it would have been nice to have a more complicated spawner with different waves and additional enemies. Yes, a high score screen would have been a nice finishing touch.

However, I did manage to create my first 3d art assets with a coherent style. I created (I think) a nice looking and nicely lit little level, my first 3d level since my days of Half Life single player maps. I completed a game loop from menu, to game, to endstate, with the ability to pause, restart, and exit from all applicable game states.

I feel like my game probably deserves the Wall of Shame given the complete lack of sound, the lack of clear explanation of the goal (stay alive as long as you can until death comes for you, as it does all of us), and lack of high score screen given that it's an arcade high-score type of game. Also the controls on keyboard sucks and is best played on gamepad, by far. I also would have liked to have a little animated hand with a cane.

Anyhow, come next Awful Jam I'm going to be prepared to hit the ground running. For now I still have lots of Unity/C# to learn so that I can start worrying about making a game that's actually *fun*, which is much harder than making a game that's just... technically a game.

Is there a public download for Wet Grandpa anywhere?

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum

ALFbrot posted:

Is there a public download for Wet Grandpa anywhere?

Oh jeez, I didn't realize people couldn't just download them. I'll put up a link when I get off work! :(

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Developer's Voice Acting Post-Mortem
Game: Lotería del Adiós by Team Dogpit

Holy crap I started writing a post mortem for my game and it ended up being insanely long. So I'll break it up into segments by topic and go from there. One thing that makes Lotería distinct from most of the other entries is the fact that it is fully voice acted, so I'll start with that. Here are my thoughts on how that came together.

What went well

There were zero auditions for this game. Everything came out perfect. Clearly auditions are pointless and I should cast blindly from now on. (I wouldn't be shocked if this were the casting methodology of a bunch of gamedev studios that actually make bank!)

I cast Team Dogpit alum Michael A. Zekas Voiceover Talent and IRL Anime (Serghei and Dietrich in Slam Fighter II, Troy in #Everest) as Grandpa, El Diablito, and El Borracho right away because I knew he'd do an amazing job and because it amuses me to make him take parts that are as far as possible from the brooding pretty boy archetype.

I cast Loren Giron as Mayte on the strength of her audition for Bunny in the Spanish language version of Slam Fighter II which is currently in development hell. I had literally never heard her perform in English before I got the full takes for Mayte, but I was pretty drat thrilled with the results.

Michael served as my liason with Miranda Gauvin and interfaced with her on her role as Grandma and La Dama. I cast her no-audition-required because I got drunk with her once and decided she was Cool and Good. The high-quality performance that resulted indicates to me that this is a good casting practice and I should do it more often.

As for the involvement of James Brown Jr. and Marissa Lenti, they were brought on board by Michael and delivered some of my favorite line readings in the game. They need to be in my games from now on. I was paticularly wowed by the performance James Brown Jr, who plays La Mano, La Muerte, and El Gallo. If I don't have anything for him to say in my next game by God I will invent characters specifically so I can cast him as them. I also swear I didn't tell him to read for El Gallo like that. It's entirely on him that my game has a big black cock. Michael took charge completely of getting the VO from these two, which included making initial contact and doing all needed follow-up, and I never communicated with them directly at all! It was great to leave this to Michael as I already had my hands full at this point with a ton of bugfixes and other development-related tasks.

I originally did not plan to have the cards announced in-match, but Chernabog, our Staff Mexican, pushed really hard for it. I told him we would probably not have time to get to it (mainly because we didn't know a male Spanish-speaking VO to approach for the work) so he took it into his own hands to make the recordings with a friend. Because Chernabog took the initiative and did the work to get the audio, it end up being one of the most fun and memorable parts of the game and a key component to setting the mood. For that I am very grateful!

Implementation of VO, once I got it, was totally smooth. This was due to two things: Michael organized and named the various takes with a clear numbering schema, and I was able to avoid the pitfalls I fell into when implementing context-sensitive VO for the first time in #Everest. While for this jam I used Unity rather than XNA, which I'd used previously, I learned a lot from the trial-and-error of the VO implementation of #Everest so I was able to avoid repeating the same mistakes. While we later found some bugs that did end up in the judging build, none of them were VO-related.

In general, I think the biggest contributor to the success of our game's VO was Michael's enthusiasm, organization, and dogged pursuit of perfection. So if you too want great VO in your shoestring budget game, get yourself your very own IRL anime!

Room For Improvement

Some NPCs were voiced by Screaming Color and stage actress Roslin Davis. Their recording setup was less than ideal and there's some room noise in their VO. I'm hoping I can bring them over to my place in the coming weeks for retakes with a better recording setup.

Somehow the master script I was working off of ended up not matching the master script the talent was working off of, which led to some discrepancies between the in-game text and the VO. Once these discrepancies were discovered, that led to some very stressful last minute recording and in some cases re-writes to make up for in-game dialogue that didn't have corresponding VO. The cause of the problem was that I, being both developer and writer, wrote the script directly into the code. (Each cutscene was its own static string array!) Once I was satisfied with the writing, I would then fire up the scene in the game to see how the timing worked out in context. Once I liked that, I formatted the lines (removed the curly brackets, at least) and copied them into the master script for the talent. As you can see at any point various discrepancies might be introduced, so next time I'll make sure to copy the master script into the code rather than the other way around.

60% of the script was done two weeks before the deadline. 90% of the script was ready eight days before the deadline. Even that is a short turnaround time for the number of lines that existed. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to tell Michael that the script was 90% ready when it was - I either mentioned it in passing in an unrelated IRL conversation and he forgot, or I just completely forgot to mention it at all. Either way, as the leader of the team it was on me to make sure that got across and to follow up on it and in that regard I failed completely. Consequently, while I spent a few days confused as to why Michael hadn't gotten started casting the characters and recording his own lines, he spent those days confused as to why I hadn't delivered a script yet. In this whole span of time, which ended up being the first half of the last week of the jam, I was scared to ask Michael why he hadn't started recording yet because it ain't easy to be a hardass when dealing with a close friend. If I had, then we would have been on the same page immediately.

Well this slip ended up being my biggest fuckup of the jam. The consequences were not good. I was still getting audio as late as a half-hour before the deadline. This meant that we weren't able to test all the audio and I didn't have the luxury of time to pick and choose my favorite takes so I picked takes arbitrarily without listening first. I've gone through some of the audio subsequently and found that I didn't always pick the take I ultimately ended up liking the best. Worst of all, this put a huge amount of stress on Michael, who had to cut, and engineer everyone's lines and record and do the same to his own in about a two day window while also doing his unrelated professional voiceover work on top of it all.

Additionally, I had delegated almost all of the casting to Michael. Since he didn't think we had a script until very late in the jam, he didn't have anything to provide to anyone to read. This left us running short on time to cast characters and meant we had to ask for VO with a very short turnaround time and it meant that we weren't able to cast some of the talent we were hoping to.

Finally, I also forgot to tell Loren I wanted the lines as separate audio files instead of in a massive WAV file, which is how I got them, which meant Michael lost some time he could have spent recording his own lines cutting up Loren's.

How would I avoid this mistake going forward? First, I shouldn't have procrastinated on finishing the script for such a long time. (I didn't even finish two of the scenes in the game until the last weekend of the jam.) It should have been 100% done two weeks in. Second, I shouldn't have been scared to annoy the poo poo out of a friend. If you can't annoy the poo poo out of your friend, who the hell can you annoy the poo poo out of? Third, I should have announced the script's readiness in our team's Slack along with all other jam-related communication.

Despite this last minute insanity, we managed to submit a fully voice acted game and it sounds absolutely great! Please play it and enjoy all the talking!

(If next year there's a cap on how many audio-only people you can have in one game, it's probably my fault! :downs: )

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Aug 5, 2016

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Xibanya posted:

[Voice Over Post-mortem]

Yeah, I feel ya. I recorded about 30 minutes of voice over material for my game, in two large wave files, in my car with the windows rolled up because it was the only quiet space I had, while it was over 100 degrees out. Also it was the day before the deadline, and I had written the majority of the lines that morning. Also-also it was supposed to be the primary mechanic of my game.

Procrastination is bad. Achieving some semblance of one's goals is good.

(In a couple of days I'll post a video playthrough of some of your game, but the voice acting was definitely top-notch.)

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Cloud Yeller postmortem

What went well:
- Everyone on the team delivered, music, voices and art were great!
- Game feels reasonably polished for what it is.
- I think this fits the theme very well, and works well as a cloud yelling simulator.

What went not so well:
- Seems like several people assumed grandpa killed grandma in the flashback. The intention was that the cloud consumed/killed/ate her. Could have made that more clear :|
- Not super happy with flashback sequence in general.
- I should probably have bothered adding some on-hit-effects to the last two bosses.

First few days
When the jam started, I wanted to quickly decide on what to pursue. I couldn't figure out a great thematic thing for grandpas, but I liked using the grumpy stereotype, and was influenced by this old Simpson thing, and thought it could be fun to make something simple based on that.

Wanted to make a simple one-button game since I knew that I would be time constrained to at most 1-2 hours per evening since I'm on parental leave with a small child at home. The gameplay with a sliding bar seemed alright, so I just commited to that early.

By day four, I had a working prototype with a title screen and a boss in it, and with all placeholder art I did, as well as some lovely public domain music and voice over I did on my phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTEQcjJoe3k
A lot of this is _very_ close to the final thing.

Rest of jam
Wanted to pick up a team to handle all of the artistic parts, since I'm just not capable of that. First was Weird Bias who offered to do the music. The tunes turned out great and I'm super happy with it!
Second came Xibanya who did the art, which also came out great. She also had some great feedback on lovely ideas I had towards the later stage of the game. Finally Mihai Zetta brought it all together with the voices that were used throughout the game.

I feel somewhat guilty in that the actual code that I wrote for the game felt rather minor compared to the assets provided by the other people on the team. Overall, I'm pleased with the end product though.

The game does not have a fail state of any time, you can shout as much as you want and your score will go up, but if you don't shout during the non-boss stages, nothing good or bad will happen. Since I guess the bosses are meant to represent figures of grandpas imagination, I feel that some shouting should be required there, therefore the health bars.

All in all, this is pretty much a short "Art Game", with nice juicy clouds I guess.
Once I started making it, I didn't think much of it and just wanted to make a short dumb thing, but in the end it at least ended up as a short dumb thing that I feel reasonably proud of. The narrative works, and it's a pretty fun 4 minute experience.

Thanks to Xibanya, Mihai Zetta and Weird Bias for making this thing with me :)

Harold Krell
Sep 10, 2011

I truly believe that anyone and everyone is capable of making their dreams come true.

:unsmigghh:
Personally, I hate writing post-mortems. It's really only for the sake of the person who's writing it and you already know the pros and cons of your game already, so putting it to paper just seems like busywork to me I guess.

However, I do have a ton of development stuff and tidbits that might be interesting.

The idea for Lou-ny Balloon-y was first thought up right after I finished Polar Adventure in January of this year. I thought it would be neat to have a game that started out as a traditional platformer, but then you slowly develop the ability of flight to the point where you can get around without walking at all. So I took that idea and started refining it.

Here's an example from the first sprite sheet I made for the game:

• As you can see in the lower right, Lou was originally going to have different perspective in the game, but ultimately went with the profile view since it's more aesthetically appealing.
  • The giant detailed Lou sprite was slightly altered in game to have a darker outline to contrast against the buildings in the intro screen.
  • The original title for the game was supposed to be Lou-nie Balloon-ie. I completely forgot about this when drawing the title. I personally hate it this way because it makes me want to pronounce it Lou-nigh Balloon-nigh.
  • For some reason, I ended up creating a simpler "Press Enter" button on the title screen. I must have forgotten about that one.

Finally, I'll leave off with a few more tidbits about the title screen and the game in general:

• The title theme was inspired by this track in Shining Force II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMSEYAYal4w as well as this track from Rocket Knight Adventures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jThy42Y5wgk
  • The little dash Lou does when you press enter at the title screen was inspired by Sonic Spinball's opening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlxAJEsrZfw
  • With the exception of the win screen, all art in the game uses only 4 shades of gray. I grew up with a Game Boy Pocket so I never considered using the diarrhea-green that original Game Boy screen had.
  • The resolution of the game actually measures up more similarly to the NES (256x240) than the Game Boy (160x144). The detailed Lou sprite was one of the first pieces of art created for the game and was too big for the Game Boy resolution I originally planned for.

I'll probably post next about the first level of the game.

Oh, and seeing everyone here wondering where the "Harold Krell twist" is in this game makes me think that no one here has ever made it to the final boss yet.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

Harold Krell posted:

no one here has ever made it to the final boss yet.

I totally made it to the final boss! This game is way up my alley! I didn't really understand the reference though.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Harold Krell posted:

Personally, I hate writing post-mortems. It's really only for the sake of the person who's writing it and you already know the pros and cons of your game already, so putting it to paper just seems like busywork to me I guess.

I don't know, I like to see the thought process behind the decisions of other games. :shrug:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
:yayclod: Cloud Yeller Art Post Mortem :yayclod:

This game was fun to work on. I first experimented the idea of coloring things programatically with with the clothing items in #Everest, which allowed the player to pick a color theme without getting the muddy result of tinting a gray sprite or going outside the limited palette.

I also took inspiration from the way Ziggy Starfucker visually indicated the day/night cycle in #Everest by using linear interpolation to color the Everest map asset provided by megane. I brought these ideas to Buffi and he was enthusiastic about implementing them, and thus we get to see Grandpa yell at clouds seamlessly from sunrise to sunset.

See those colors? I picked them out myself! :downs:

My main regret was getting so bogged down with my own game near the end of the jam that I ended up not being as responsive to Buffi's emails as I should have and I left him hanging on my one bit of VO for this jam until maybe a week before the deadline. I also wish I had provided more assets, but given how things came down to the wire for Lotería, I wouldn't have been able to do that unless Cloud Yeller had been my only project. Thanks again, Buffi, for tolerating my divided attention!

Also, fun fact! I based the design of The Cloud on that famous painting of The Tower of Babel.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Xibanya posted:

I think #Everest was the last game played on the gong show last time and we won in a category so I don't think the order has much to do with anyone's opinion of your game. :shrug:

Mostly meant tongue in cheek, the gong show is my favorite part of the whole jam.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

Harold Krell posted:

Oh, and seeing everyone here wondering where the "Harold Krell twist" is in this game makes me think that no one here has ever made it to the final boss yet.

I mean duh. I'm terrible at games and I gave up at the second level cause it was pretty frustrating. I might see it in the gong show who knows? (probably not)

---

anyway, more of these:

Loteria Del Adios - Somehow I managed to get a "loteria" even though I'm sure my "loteria card" was not filled? I... I don't get that. Anyway, neat game. Loved the cool little strategy type card game there was in here. Also holy poo poo full voice acting. This is pretty well polished. Good job.

Grandpa's Home - Couldn't run. uh oh :(

Old Man's Drive - Is this supposed to be some kind of pun on "No Man's Sky" or something? Ah yes, procedrually generated golf. A nice relaxing little thing, but it does get a little repetitive. I'm a little reminded of "Desert Golf" in the way that it's not very challenging and strangely satisfying to Do A Golf.

V-Fib - This has some nice art. Shame that I didn't get too see most of it :(. Game was rather short and I'm not sure if it ended because I failed or won. Considering the first time I played there were "0 shows left to watch" I'm going to say I won, but it was hard to tell when I had another game and didn't try as hard (to get a proper look at the tv) and the ending felt almost similar.

Gramp in the Shell - God drat that last boss was tricky although once I finished I was glad Raegan had died (Yes I know someone posted that one Killer Mike song in the thread before. Yes I know I butchered what Killer Mike said). Love the retro feel to everything. Wasn't really keen on the controls (using the D-pad to move? booo)

Babes and Chess - I don't even need to go through the rest of the games for that one bounty about "making me go through hell to play a terrible game". This is clearly the worst thing I've ever had to download. First of all: Can Everyone Stop Using Google Drive? Please? Use itch.io, it's there for people to dump their awful jam games. That's what it was made for probably. Secondly: I have to DOWNLOAD a WEB build? Like download the zip and run it myself? Thirdly: It's the OLD WEB BUILD.

I get to the game. It's just chess. It's just a chess board with random bought unity assets. It's like something you'd see on Steam Greenlight. This is a joke right? Someone did this as a joke to annoy me personally right?

You have to control two sides of the game. I mean, if you're playing on your own, I mean you could get a friend if you had a friend and they were willing to play terrible games. There's no AI. This is incredible.

After reading through their postmortem I've made the following conclusions: 1) They probably don't go on this site, and so sending them a joke symbolic prize would be pretty difficult unless I message them through their site or whatever. 2) It looks like they were 100% sincere with this and this isnt a joke to make me or the poor judge that has to judge this suffer. 3) This may probably be their first game jam they've taken part in and I may have been too harsh in my previous paragraphs.

I think we have a new Something Flappy lads

Yosemite Birding: It's a Snap! - The most disappointing thing about this game is that the hilarious programmer art got removed with actual art. I mean there's bits where you can clearly tell it's still there but whatever. Nice little game. Never did find out what happened if you startle the birds too much or if you run away. It also went on for a bit too long. Overall pretty nice.

Did I Ever Tell You..? - A game with three minigames. Tried the taxi one first where the taxi had this weird sliding thing. Then it suddenly ended and I'm not sure why. I tried the basketball one next which was "I made a level with a bunch of physics in it for laughs". Player did a weird thing where it would pick up a box even though you're touching a ball so you'd end up stuck in a pit for most of the game. Finally the fishing. Got nearly every fish except for the one with the top hat and the monocle that kept getting away and kept getting free. That minigame also didn't seem to want to end suddenly like the other two, so I wasn't sure if the game actually ended or not. Not much payoff from whatever, and I wasn't really paying attention to what was being said in the background cause I can't concentrate on frustrating "physics lol" games while also finding out that the narration changes depending on what you're currently doing.

Grandpa's Medicine - Ok let's read the instruc... oh wait it's gone nevermind, I suppose I can take a guess on how to play the game... gently caress.

When game requires you to take some time to read what the medicine does and then also take some time to look up what the medicine looks like, while a timer counting down to grandpa's death happens, you have to think whether this was supposed to be playable at all. I ate the wrong medicine? I didn't eat any medicine as far as I'm concerned so that text was completely wrong.

I need help - I like this "keep talking and nobody explodes" kind of gameplay with a "limited vocab that changes when it's submitted". Didn't get to play much of this because nobody seems to be on when I get on it but still pretty silly.

---

Bounty status: I still haven't seen waluigi, or any fmv, or any games you can play with a phone. If your game has either of these, please let me know so I can prioritise playing them asap

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

Afal posted:

Bounty status: I still haven't seen waluigi, or any fmv, or any games you can play with a phone. If your game has either of these, please let me know so I can prioritise playing them asap

I was technically able to play the HTML5 version of my game on my iPad, it ran poorly there so I imagine a phone will have difficulties, but it does technically work :P

I've only had time to play Cloud Yeller, Grandfathered In, and #JustGrandpaThings but those three were pretty impressive. I'd say Grandfathered In is maybe a little too trial and error-y though, but the amount of dialog is impressive, what kind of dark future doesn't let you walk naked in the streets though?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
You "can" play I Need Help on the phone. Not sure I would recommend it, but it works :V

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

ALFbrot posted:

Move to America

:jerkbag:

JonTerp posted:

We have a pretty large community both on Slack and IRC. Nobody was "chided", but the server was tagged and marked as "The SAGameDev Discord" (not a "general app and dev server"). To avoid confusion and ensure newcomers find the right channels of communication the server owner was asked to change the title and not promote it as the "official" SAGameDev Discord.

I can't speak to last year as I didn't participate. I can only speak to the comparison between my experiences with SAGDC as a judge, vs. this jam as a contestant.

An example of something overbearing -- "SAGameDev" long predated you or any other challenge; so why should someone have to "run it by you" before using that term? Especially since I never saw the term "official" used anywhere. The size of the community is not really compelling argument when there are several similarly or larger sized SA Game Dev slacks/discords/IRC out there, and "newbies" is not a compelling argument to me when it's buried on page 23, well after most newbies reasonably would have been expected to start the competition.

I'm not going to get into parsing words over whether that was "chiding" or not -- it came off as super passive-aggressive to me.

I think what it comes down to was that it felt like this jam *wanted* to be SAGDC but got too big for it's britches and trapped up in the mechanics of the competition rather than making games. (cf. drama over the theme reveal; drama over the extra 24 hours; drama over 'official' discords, etc.). Just my opinion, y'all are welcome to dismiss it but it didn't come from nowhere and while I don't intend to speak for anyone other than myself, I can tell you I've spoken to a couple other people who complained the formality of this jam made it feel like "a second job".

Maybe the answer is "this jam just isn't for me." But if that's the case, as organizers, I hope you take into consideration why that might be.

If you want to discuss in detail, in the context of how the jam could be improved, we can do it in PM's to not poo poo up the rest of the thread.

Leif. fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Aug 5, 2016

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I don't want to throw a log on the fire, but as a 3rd time returning participant I liked how the previous year's jams seemed much less serious.

I understand that some of the changes for this year's jam were to help prepare for "actual gamedev" stuff but I feel like, ultimately, those changes got rid of a lot of what made the previous jams fun. I think the entire point of a game jam is to get away from super serious "actual gamedev" stuff. I don't like the "you only get one shot, so make sure to test" sentiment at all, especially given that there was an extension this year. The reminders throughout the thread to the tune of "There's X days left, you should be doing this" didn't help make this feel any less serious, either.

Maybe you want it to be more serious, and that's whatever, maybe this jam isn't for me anymore either. I just wanted to throw my $0.02 that I just did not enjoy it as much this time around.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Harold Krell posted:

I'm pretty sure I did (in that I beat it?), I also don't understand any reference it might have though.

Gunzil
Jan 1, 2010
Still trucking along. There were a lot of G games submitted this jam for some reason!!

Grandfathered In
I see this is Long Live the Queen, but with a grandpa. I pretty much just picked options willy-nilly and ended up with a bad end. It would have been nice to be able to save-scum, since the game is long enough that I don't feel motivated to play through the entire thing again. I liked the weird story, I also like how being naked affects dialog. There was a nice variety of clothing and skill-sets that made the game feel really fleshed out. I liked the amount of characters that you got to encounter and how they all looked cohesive despite being pretty different.

Grandpa Gets His Groove
Couldn't get it to run :(

Grandpa GO
Nice little physics game, liked the leapfrog like gameplay and that someone thought of mobile style development. I found this game very difficult, maybe if there were more checkpoints? Graphics look good, but I would have liked some music or sounds so the crushing silence wouldn't get to me as easily.

Grandpa Manager
Community pride / family managment simulator. I like the meta-story with the gramp-sanity constantly in question. With as much stress as the stat growth has, it would have been nice of the stats to be more visible while progressing days. Additionally, I would have appreciated some way to know how much each stat incremented per day, so I didn't have to check my family's stats constantly so I could figure out when to switch.

There were a couple issues, though. When an event happened, the title of the event would display on top of the body text, so there would be a couple lines that were illegible. I also encountered an event where the confirm button wouldn't enabled, so I could progress any further.

Grandpa's Great Escape
This really needed a skip button for the guards. It felt like half my time was spent waiting for guards halfway across the map to walk to another location. It was also unclear what my goal was other than to grab supplies and possibly kill guards? I did like the Hogan's Heroes concept, though. The visuals looked nice for a isometric game, the music seemed unnerving, I couldn't tell if there were multiple instances playing on top of each other or what. Also once I finally got a gun, I was pretty disappointed to see that you just walk on top of a guy to kill them with no animation or satisfying sounds. Eventually, the game seemed to get caught on an enemy turn, where an enemy tried to kill one of my units that had a gun, and I couldn't do anything anymore.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I posted my post-mortem for Story Time w Grampum PeepmPop and it's pretty long but rest assured my first draft was at least twice as long. gently caress it. It has pictures.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Giggs posted:

I posted my post-mortem for Story Time w Grampum PeepmPop and it's pretty long but rest assured my first draft was at least twice as long. gently caress it. It has pictures.

The pictures aren't working, though!

Harold Krell posted:

H-H-H-HOOOWWWDYYYYYYY

I see that some people thought it was some sort of a reference, I just felt that it was Krell-y and that's really all I needed.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 5, 2016

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Ultigonio posted:

The pictures aren't working, though!

Fixed the images because I'm super smart.

Also couldn't help but write a bit more on the ad-lib stuff and how it works because everyone loves to read about arrays and switches.

Giggs fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 5, 2016

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
If you're into an infinitely more laid back version of this jam, just a reminder that we do run a two-week jam in the winter called The Little Awful Jam with the same judging format and Gong Show but with way fewer rules.

Some prefer the stricter format that helps them get / prepare for jobs in the industry. Other's like the super laid back weirdness of a Something Awful Jam. There's no way to please both audiences with one format.

So we've split them up and run two jams a year now.

Speaking to the drama, this year had waaaaaaaaaay less drama that previous SAGDCs, so I'm taking that as a relative victory.

Note for Gong Show

We moved the schedule around, double check The Schedule to see if your game got relocated to a new time.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Aw, I gotta wait until Sunday to see my game get insulted beat the rest of you nerds :smuggo:.

And I'm not on the wall of shame so I guess that means it works.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

JonTerp posted:

If you're into an infinitely more laid back version of this jam, just a reminder that we do run a two-week jam in the winter called The Little Awful Jam with the same judging format and Gong Show but with way fewer rules.

Some prefer the stricter format that helps them get / prepare for jobs in the industry. Other's like the super laid back weirdness of a Something Awful Jam. There's no way to please both audiences with one format.

So we've split them up and run two jams a year now.

Speaking to the drama, this year had waaaaaaaaaay less drama that previous SAGDCs, so I'm taking that as a relative victory.

Note for Gong Show

We moved the schedule around, double check The Schedule to see if your game got relocated to a new time.

lol right up first. i hope it crashes

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

You heard JonTerp. There's still enough time to import some drama. Gotta beat the last jams! :v:

Finally got some time to play some! Like last time I'm doing it randomly (and posters only, right now) and we'll see how many I get through this time.

Buffis posted:

Cloud Yeller by Buffi Buddies

Nice streamlined little game. Knows what it needed to do, did it while giving a few chuckles, and didn't ruin it lingering around. I would've liked a bit stronger mechanics (which was better, skipping to increase the combo or not?) and some better UI (including a quit key) as looking at a bar the whole time while ignoring the graphics probably isn't the best. Though perhaps the first part isn't as important because despite appearances it's more of a narrative game, I suppose. Very nice use of Vlameering for difficulty (I should expect so from the creator of Murder, Death, Chill! I check that section and the post-mortems afterwards, btw), and good on theme. Oddly cheery little game, considering! Oh yeah, the updates throughout the thread were great, too.

First impressions: Your game page should have a download link on it! Moving on: I in particular liked the wall quote, and it sounds like you know what did and didn't work which requires a good level of introspection (though perhaps too negative? You're a big step closer to making a solid game next time). Not the game-iest game, but good job on successfully completing it!

Wow, you really hit the theme there with the audio doing the rambling grandpa thing! I liked the games but think they could've used a little more polish (it felt more like janky to me than "in my day" difficult). I played it over a few times to try to get all the audio clips, but on the flip side I didn't seem to get much better at any of the games (particularly basketball!). I showed this one to somebody else and got a chuckle out of them, too! You also get bonus bush-birds for a comprehensive sound option UI and the breadth of the game itself, as I could easily seeing any of those being a submission in itself.

Enos Shenk posted:

[url="https://"http://www.awfuljams.com/big-awful-2016/games/the-lawn"]The Lawn[/url] by Shenko Heavy Industries

Another strong 3D game from Shenko Heavy Industries. Interesting that it was less of a weird simulator this time! Not so Chill but it definitely itches more of that gaming spot. I did have some issue with the controls (seemed to be a bit sluggish and prone to "stick") and some of the direction. Btw, nice logo! I did a little double take to make sure I hadn't opened something else.

Cute little mini-game compilation! I remember playing Forget Chill from last year (which was done in two hours!) and it's great seeing the evolution to a more solid Wario Ware-like game. Nice art, I remember that title screen early in the thread. Sure there's balance problems and bugs, but that's life, balance problems (bank) and bugs (giant, horrible ones which also require a debugger). One thing though: Admit it, you got this idea when the Lizard Brains theme was floating around. Finally, I can't overlook the music from Willfor which surprisingly fits so ear-wormingly well to bring it up a level.

Megabound posted:

Ennui by Watch Out For Snakes.

Nice little first game. I read your post-mortem and it sounds like you got the big issues (Why is movement constrained? Why do I have to click on everything with everything, and what is everything?), but honestly I liked the colorful little thing even if it ended up coming across a tad mixed. Another good dev log, too!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
How is everyone adding multiple images to their post mortems? I can only add one.

E: Oh wait I got it!

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 5, 2016

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

JonTerp posted:

Note for Gong Show

So much for my cookout...

Rob Filter
Jan 19, 2009

JonTerp posted:

My teams game is on the last day.

Excellent!

We want to have our 3d overworld, which we cut from the judge version, ready to go live before the stream. Our time window is maximized!

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Rob Filter posted:

Excellent!

We want to have our 3d overworld, which we cut from the judge version, ready to go live before the stream. Our time window is maximized!

Doesn't the Gong Show use the judge version?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Afal posted:

Loteria Del Adios - Somehow I managed to get a "loteria" even though I'm sure my "loteria card" was not filled? I... I don't get that.

Thanks for the kind words! Regarding the comment I'm quoting here, is it possible that you got a winning combination that isn't valid in "regular bingo"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loter%C3%ADa

Afal posted:

I pm'd you on how to find our shot at your bounty. :haw:

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Rob Filter posted:

Excellent!

Gong Show uses the version you submitted for judging :smith:

Don't let that stop you from doing a cool update for the public version!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"

Xibanya posted:

Thanks for the kind words! Regarding the comment I'm quoting here, is it possible that you got a winning combination that isn't valid in "regular bingo"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loter%C3%ADa

I... no. I don't think I got any of the combinations. Or at least that's what I think. I only fought like the rooster, the frog, the drunk, the shrimp, and the devil and I'm pretty sure that doesn't match any of the things on the card although I did get it taken away from me at one point so I couldn't look at my status but I'm fairly sure I was way off getting a loteria

---

In other news I've put up the source of the game on my itch page and the postmortem for the game and why I suck on the AwfulJam Page

• Locked thread