Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Rick posted:

I like the idea of jerky to the point that I generally consider it when stopping at a convenience store or a truck stop. But I think the amount of times I've been like "wow that was good" have been very very low. I also find the "craft" version that has the consistency of like meat gummies to be actively unpleasant but I've somehow bought it many times.

Sometimes the flat meat strips are okay, but I would say even worse percentage of hits are the "beef stick" model like Slim Jims. There was a time when these were super cheap so I'd often get one on a whim and never felt good about it after. Now that they're expensive I've been a bit less prone to picking them up, but like the new scam that gets me are all the Jack Links "chip flavored ones." They all just taste like meat sticks, the flavor almost never comes through. The closest one I would say are the Fritos Chili Cheese and my conclusion was "I wish I had bought a bag of chili cheese Fritos."

I wish I could internalize this more so all the time spent staring at jerky in the jerky isle or the silly moments of pulling off the freeway when I don't need to on a road trip would stop.

Exception to this are the little sausages. These don't always hit either, but I don't usually feel like I wasted my money. I would go as far as to say the Wisconsin turkey sausages are good, especially the honey version. But these are not in most stores.

Hearing you on all of this. The "artisan" in-house jerky from a local butcher shop I really respect is just... wet and gross tbh. Going to a natural health food type store and getting all the hormone free, free range etc. jerky and it similarly is disappointing for all its touted positive attributes.

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I miss dry super tough salty jerky, kind that took 5 minutes to chew. Hate all this tender wet sweet crap.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
The best jerky I had was when my mom went to Australia and brought back kangaroo and crocodile jerky. Obviously not easy to find in the states

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Fuckin hell kangaroo jerky goes for like 10 dollars an oz in the US . Guess I'll never know what it tastes like heh

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Local chain had a sale on for a while a few years back, a 10 oz. bag of knockoff Jack Links for $15, and I bought the hell out of the hot & spicy flavor for a bit. Then when the promo giant packs ran out, and it jumped to $7.99/4 oz, I haven't bought jerky since.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I really like most types of jerky, some more than others, but I rarely have any because I just can't justify it coming in at only slightly less expensive per ounce than diamonds (half joking).

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I will say I only really like tender jerky which I think kind of defeats the point, but what can I say. I rarely buy jerky as a result cause I can't often tell if it's soft enough for my tastes. All in all, not worth the effort, especially with my de-emphasis on snacking.

----------------

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Wendigee posted:

Fuckin hell kangaroo jerky goes for like 10 dollars an oz in the US . Guess I'll never know what it tastes like heh

Kangaroo jerky is good and you are correct on the price. Alligator jerky is horrible and nobody should ever eat it for any reason

----------------

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
when i get a craving for a classic meat stick sort of treat but i cannot gently caress with slim jims and the same anymore, duke's are pretty good. they're bags of small meat sticks that aren't as greasy/oily as the gas station ones.

for regular jerky these days i pretty much only gently caress with the greggman's goon jerky or occasionally a stop off at the buc-ee's counter

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
jerky is best on a plane because it smells like someone poo poo their pants when you first open the bag

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

this is not really in the spirit of the thread but I have a cheapo food dehydrator from amazon that I only really use to produce jerky and its dead simple and fun to gently caress around with. the time it takes to make feels worth it whenever I see the insane prices they're asking for a bag of even the cheapest stuff at the gas station.

you gotta put it in the garage or something though because your whole house will smell like marinated beef otherwise

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

you gotta put it in the garage or something though because your whole house will smell like marinated beef otherwise

and rob yourself of such a delight?

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

its fun until like, hour four

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

its fun until like, hour four

yeah I imagine, but I figured someone had to say it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gonna get a bunch of fast food tomorrow

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I need to stop getting salads. I dump a big bag of croutons, a wedge of blue cheese, and balsamic vinegar into it and it’s very far from healthy. But it’s so good

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Hotel Kpro posted:

I need to stop getting salads. I dump a big bag of croutons, a wedge of blue cheese, and balsamic vinegar into it and it’s very far from healthy. But it’s so good

go ez on teh croutons and it aint so bad. oil=monounsaturated fats, lowers ldl. cheese=protein. ur good fam

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This is how we do it

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

The deals keep rollin!!!

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I just bought some chicken fries for $9

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Headed down mountain tomorrow thinking couple Del Taco hard tacos and a couple Wiener chili cheese dogs. Do I want the all beef with shredded cheddar or the classic someone took a dump and tried to wipe with a slice of American cheese dog? Both are great for their own reasons.

I wish Wiener had a medium sized drink cup filled with chili-cheese-buncha hotdog chunks. I mean they put fries in cups…….wait poo poo chili cheese fries in a cup, why isn’t this a thing?!

Do not steal

----------------

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

a sexual elk posted:

Headed down mountain tomorrow thinking couple Del Taco hard tacos and a couple Wiener chili cheese dogs. Do I want the all beef with shredded cheddar or the classic someone took a dump and tried to wipe with a slice of American cheese dog? Both are great for their own reasons.

Why not both? You are living la vida loca

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Had tonkatsu for lunch. It was kind of meh...

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Dokapon Findom posted:

Why not both? You are living la vida loca

Ended up getting a Double Double Animal Style, add chilis, toasted

So messy to eat in the car haha

----------------

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Had tonkatsu for lunch. It was kind of meh...

This is always depressing. It is usually very reliable but I've definitely had a couple "meh" experiences.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Rick posted:

This is always depressing. It is usually very reliable but I've definitely had a couple "meh" experiences.

I was reflecting on it and the issue was the curry wasn't spicy whatsoever. The minimum on a 1-10 heat scale I want for a curry is a 5 or a 6

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Dokapon Findom posted:

I was reflecting on it and the issue was the curry wasn't spicy whatsoever. The minimum on a 1-10 heat scale I want for a curry is a 5 or a 6

That's hard to find with Japanese cuisine

----------------

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Wendigee posted:

White castle was founded where I live and hasn't existed in this state for like 50 something years. The frozen ones seem okay though occasionally. Just a little oniony beef puck

My girlfriend of the time and I got a sack when Harold and Kumar came out and even driving home we were like 'are we sure this smells like....food?'

Guess we needed to be more drunk and/or high before eating it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Pretty much. It's the Waffle House of the burger industry. You go there late at night in a city and it's party time. It's a legit fun time mostly.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Used to hit up a shithole Denny's when I worked at Cracker Barrel as a dishwasher when I was 16. By the time we closed it was like 1am so off to Denny's with a couple servers/cooks/etc. on a Friday/Saturday night. Server was a blast.

It served alcohol. Good innocent times as a teenager.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was at a grocery store today and in the liquor section they had Doritos liquor. Which sounds like it would be funny to try but it was $60 for a bottle.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I had that doritos liquor earlier this year, tastes like poo poo with a cheesy aftertaste (so guess like real doritos)

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
got the Cheesy Baja Crispy Tender Wrap at sonic and it had the option for "extra cheese sauce" for free so why wouldnt I hit that button? and well, that was a lot of nacho cheese in a tortilla.

not bad, exactly what you expect from a small chicken wrap ala the old mcdonalds snack wraps/wendys go wraps except nacho cheese

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

The cheese slice in the McDonalds wraps is a crime.

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

got the Cheesy Baja Crispy Tender Wrap at sonic and it had the option for "extra cheese sauce" for free so why wouldnt I hit that button? and well, that was a lot of nacho cheese in a tortilla.

not bad, exactly what you expect from a small chicken wrap ala the old mcdonalds snack wraps/wendys go wraps except nacho cheese

Ha, I did the loaded spicy tiny tacos from Jack today and they had a shitload of cheese sauce on them. Almost too much

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Getting some panzerotti and cannoli tonight :discourse:

Free Kyoon
Free SPR
Free cuppy tea

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Jack has a bunch of spend 1 dollar, get free item stuff next week
Monday 13 May: Free Jack Wrap
Tuesday 14 May: Two free tacos
Wednesday 15 May: Free chicken sandwich
Thursday 16 May (Jack’s birthday): Free Jumbo Jack
Friday 17 May: Free fries
Saturday 18 May: Free fountain drink
Sunday 19 May: Free regular size shake

You can likely also use the digital deals alongside these, so in theory on thursday you could get 3 jumbo jacks for 5 bucks. I dunno. Kinda whatever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The chiicken wraps deals that everyone is doing are truly for the morons out there, paying five dollars for 2 chicken tenders of which you could get 3-4 of alone for less than 5 bucks, and half a burger of condiments they'd give you for free.

At least when McDonalds did it years ago it usually had some sort of sauce and toppings you couldn't get more affordably with a different order.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Rick posted:

The chiicken wraps deals that everyone is doing are truly for the morons out there, paying five dollars for 2 chicken tenders of which you could get 3-4 of alone for less than 5 bucks, and half a burger of condiments they'd give you for free.

At least when McDonalds did it years ago it usually had some sort of sauce and toppings you couldn't get more affordably with a different order.

The worst are these Bojangles tenders in a hot dog bun, two for five bucks. Tenders don't need another carb source, the breading is enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

wraps are a false prophet. full of lies and deceit. i despise them in all forms.

----------------