Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Lamuella posted:

Weirdly in his case I think it helps him that he was only ever a big star in wrestling rather than a megastar. I know a lot of people who love Dave Bautista and neither know nor care anything about wrestling, who might have been put off by him if he was just The Wrestling Guy.

It also helps that he is genuinely a very good actor and seems committed to working on his craft.

Yeah, that sounds right. Cena has started having some mainstream acting success but I suspect he was held back a little at first by being so strongly associated with WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah, that sounds right. Cena has started having some mainstream acting success but I suspect he was held back a little at first by being so strongly associated with WWE.

And in both cases having James Gunn in their corner to let them successfully be really funny has helped.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

BGrifter posted:

Cena did the same thing as The Rock to achieve his Hollywood success: step back from action heroics and do a bunch of weird supporting character parts to show off his range. Dude was the best part about Sisters.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

the fact that The Rock played a gay cowboy singer/actor in an Elmore Leonard film with John Travolta and Uma Thurman is always going to weird me out. He does a cover of "You Ain't Woman Enough To Steal My Man".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Shankel Magnus posted:

So despite all these releases...Lacey Evans is still employed. :confused:

The only person happy today is Chris Jericho since he just got a whole lineup of interviews for his podcast.

Lol they're never firing her

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

BGrifter posted:

It’s kinda crazy that Batista ended up being a bigger star outside of wrestling than Stone Cold Steve Austin.

I don't think this is the case. I'd argue the expendables is comparable to guardians, and Stone Cold has plenty of Stubers in his filmography. I don't see Batista with multiple cable TV shows in syndication, on commercials selling me tide pods with Ice-T.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

beggar posted:

I'd argue the expendables is comparable to guardians
:lmao:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

hahaha

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
The Guardians films have made billions and people can't wait for the next one. I honestly had forgotten the Expendables existed until that post.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

beggar posted:

I don't think this is the case. I'd argue the expendables is comparable to guardians, and Stone Cold has plenty of Stubers in his filmography. I don't see Batista with multiple cable TV shows in syndication, on commercials selling me tide pods with Ice-T.

Guardians Of The Galaxy by itself had a comparable box office to the entire Expendables trilogy. And that's the highest profile project Austin has done as an actor. While Stone Cold has plenty of Stubers in his filmography he doesn't have a Dune.

(and honestly he doesn't have that many Stubers either. Pretty much every Austin vehicle where he's had a leading role has been straight to video)

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 16, 2021

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

beggar posted:

I feel like you’re underselling just how huge the Marvel franchise is. Bit of an apples to oranges comparison, but Guardians 2 did 863.8 million at the box office. The Expendables 2 did 315 million. Marvel stuff is on another level right now. Avengers: Endgame did an insane 2.798 billion dollars box office.

Austin is certainly busy and has lots of reality TV shows like the Broken Skull Challenge and things. But Vanilla Ice had a dozen of those shows.

Not begrudging Austin his success. But I think it’s fair to say Batista is a step above purely on the back of the Marvel juggernaut. (Not that Juggernaut)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The second GOTG made more money than the entire Expendables franchise combined

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

The second GOTG made more money than the entire Expendables franchise combined
And Austin wasn’t even in all of them! And he was a way smaller part of the first one than Bautista was

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 45 minutes!

Lamuella posted:

Guardians Of The Galaxy by itself had a comparable box office to the entire Expendables trilogy. And that's the highest profile project Austin has done as an actor. While Stone Cold has plenty of Stubers in his filmography he doesn't have a Dune.

(and honestly he doesn't have that many Stubers either. Pretty much every Austin vehicle where he's had a leading role has been straight to video)

Leaving box offoce asside, Batista has some bona fide blockbusters and cult hits under his belt and is quite frequently the best part in them. Like, Man with the Iron Fists is a silly, silly movie and Batista is absolutely great in it and manages to outshine a fat, drunken, horny Russel Crowe whose character is called "Jack Knife".

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

It's always seemed to me like Stone Cold is happy mostly just doing ranch stuff at his ranch and occasionally doing projects that he's interested in. I'm sure he could've leveraged his insane mainstream popularity in the Attitude era to still be a relevant star today but it seems that he just kinda... never did. Maybe he just wasn't interested. He probably wouldn't have to work another day in his life if he decided not to.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Expendables - $274M worldwide (Austin 7th billed)
Expendables 2 + 3 - Austin wasn't in them

Guardians of the Galaxy - $773M worldwide (Batista 3rd billed)
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - $864M worldwide (Batista 3rd billed)

Films featuring Steve Austin: The Longest Yard, The Condemned, Damage, The Expendables, The Stranger, Hunt to Kill, Recoil, Born to Fight, Tactical Force, Maximum Conviction, The Package, Grown Ups 2, Smosh: The Movie, Chain of Command Forthcoming: The Walk Ons.

Films featuring Dave Bautista: House of the Rising Son, Scorpion King 3, The Man with the Iron Fists, Riddick, Guardians of the Galaxy, Spectre, Heist, Marauders, Kickboxer: Vengeance, Bushwick, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Blade Runner 2049, Hotel Artemis, Escape Plan 2, Final Score, Master Z: The Ip Man Legacy, Stuber, Avengers: Infinity War, Avengers: Endgame, Escape Plan: The Extractors, My Spy. Forthcoming: Army of the Dead, Dune, Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Italics = Direct to Video

Steve Austin is still a bigger name/cultural figure than Batista in a lot of aspects (i.e. appearing in a commercial with Mister T), but saying he's a bigger movie star than Batista (or even comparable) is like arguing that everyone knows who Mr. T is and he's doing a commercial, therefore his acting career is as good/better than Keith David or Don Johnson, who weren't in that ad and also were stars in the mid 1980s.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd also like to leave box office aside and say Batista's films are simply better films than Austin's

GOTG over Expendables, Blade Runner 2049 over The Condemned, Stuber over The Longest Yard

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Blade Runner 2049 over The Condemned

mods!???!?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

beggar posted:

I'd argue the expendables is comparable to guardians

Everyone has already justifiably roasted you for this but holy poo poo lmao :xd:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
If we want to get really crazy for a moment, does The Rock have any hits on the level of peak Marvel stuff like Guardians 2 or Avengers Endgame?

I mean, it’s a total apples to oranges comparison. The Rock is a much bigger movie star and tends to be the lead in a way Batista is not in the Marvel stuff.

But it’s insane how big Marvel has become. I’m kinda sick of it by now, but those movies do huge business. I’m not sure the later Fast and the Furious films compare.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BGrifter posted:

If we want to get really crazy for a moment, does The Rock have any hits on the level of peak Marvel stuff like Guardians 2 or Avengers Endgame?

I mean, it’s a total apples to oranges comparison. The Rock is a much bigger movie star and tends to be the lead in a way Batista is not in the Marvel stuff.

But it’s insane how big Marvel has become. I’m kinda sick of it by now, but those movies do huge business. I’m not sure the later Fast and the Furious films compare.

The fast and furious films absolutely compare

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The fast and furious films absolutely compare

A quick google search tells me Fast 7 did 1.516 billion USD in box office. So bigger than Guardians but way short of Avengers Endgame.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
^^^ Everything is a lot of short of Avengers Endgame

The Fast franchise only became a commercial hit when the Rock joined and the last two films both made over a billion and are in the top 20 highest grossing movies of all time

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bautista is a relatively tiny part of the MCU compared to The Rock’s role in FF

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BGrifter posted:

A quick google search tells me Fast 7 did 1.516 billion USD in box office. So bigger than Guardians but way short of Avengers Endgame.

Yeah but like endgame is what, the #1 box office ever??

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Also the Rock is the highest paid actor in Hollywood and there's a reason for that

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

jesus WEP posted:

Bautista is a relatively tiny part of the MCU compared to The Rock’s role in FF

Absolutely fair and in no way am I trying to imply Batista is a bigger movie star than The Rock. That would be utterly barking mad.

But Avengers Endgame is one of the biggest box office successes of all time.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah but like endgame is what, the #1 box office ever??

It was but then Avatar did a limited rerelease in cinemas to push it back up to #1

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BGrifter posted:

Moana might be in the ballpark (against Guardians, not Endgame). I think it took in close to 700M and that's before you factor in the Disney merch machine.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

flashy_mcflash posted:

Moana might be in the ballpark (against Guardians, not Endgame). I think it took in close to 700M and that's before you factor in the Disney merch machine.

Kids movies often tend to be sneaky huge. The Jumanji movies are probably right up there too.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Rarity posted:

It was but then Avatar did a limited rerelease in cinemas to push it back up to #1
Zoe saldana needs to do a wrestling match so she can be the undisputed biggest movie star wrestler

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

Jim always has to get his win back smdh

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I was curious and holy poo poo Jumanji did 962.2 million box office. That’s wild. That alone is bigger than Guardians 2 and Fast 7 almost doubles it.

Avengers Endgame is just such a crazy outlier it’s tough for anything to stack up. Maybe they could edit The Rock into Avatar or something. :3:

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Movies with Over a Billion Dollars in Box Office Worldwide Starring Pro Wrestlers

#2: Avengers Endgame ($2.8B, Batista)
#5: Avengers Infinity War ($2.1B, Batista)
#9: Furious 7 ($1.5B, The Rock)
#19: Fate of the Furious ($1.2B, The Rock)
#48: The Dark Knight ($1B, Zeus/Z-Gangsta)

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Edge & Christian posted:

#48: The Dark Knight ($1B, Zeus/Z-Gangsta)

:golfclap:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SD commentary team going forward is Michael Cole and Pat McAfee

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I wonder how long he’ll tolerate Vince screaming in his ear

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

southland tales is better than anything big dave has done

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I feel like that will lead to an Aaron Rodgers appearance on Smackdown which will make me watch WWE. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

yea ok posted:

southland tales is better than anything big dave has done

Using Southland Tales as a measuring stick for film quality is the same thing as using Endgame as a measuring stick for box office success. It’s just never going to be a fair comparison