Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I assume they want you to find something to use AI in so they can say AI bunch during the shareholder quarterly meeting and pump the stock. Because currently how well your stock does depends on how often you say AI, just like it used to depend on saying blockchain a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

MrQwerty posted:

yeah but you didn't invent netscape

yeah i did. i just dont brag about it all the time

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Nutscrape®

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my navigatorial skills are unsurpassed in the domain of the net-scape

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Haha, Google is now loud and proud its first result is AI.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
How long until I can just tell an AI to deposit a million dollars in my bank account and it will figure out the rest?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like to think after the dust settles and the sparkle of AI wears off, the only companies left standing will be the ones that weren’t stupid enough to sink money into it.

Alas, tis merely a dream

naem
May 29, 2011

Vakal posted:

How long until I can just tell an AI to deposit a million dollars in my bank account and it will figure out the rest?

**calibrating**

***currency devaluation complete***

****monopoly money deposited****

P A P E R C L I P

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Gutcruncher posted:

I like to think after the dust settles and the sparkle of AI wears off, the only companies left standing will be the ones that weren’t stupid enough to sink money into it.

Alas, tis merely a dream

this might be true if service economies in the developed world weren't massive collective hallucinations

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

If your company's fundamentals are bad enough you can get hurt by a little thing like the products you sell not working your best prospect was to hope to be consumed by Amazon anyway

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

SettingSun posted:

Goddamn everything has an AI button now. Do a google search and before any of your results is their AI assistant attempting to give you an answer like it's Ask Jeeves. Facebook has it as part of almost every post. Microsoft is pushing Co-Pilot as hard as it possibly can.

this is my favorite of these so far

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I'm reading that OpenAI fired its chief scientist...?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Waffle House posted:

Well yeah why pay him when his creation can do just as good a job?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Waffle House posted:

gently caress that guy anyway

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
destigmatize beating up nerds

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

kntfkr posted:

Nerds are the new jocks

They can beat you up with their robots

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

lol @ firing the guy who develops your product while the CEO gets away with the billions

Love this era of meme stocks, newsprint-side economics, and speculative fan fiction productivity and output.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 20:31 on May 17, 2024

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I don't think Ilya was fired. After their attempted ouster of Altman he stayed on to see things out and that he wanted out. At least that's what I heard back in Nov. Another safety guy left along with him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There are some pretty restrictive NDAs in place for former OpenAI employees, so it's hard to say what's going on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

kntfkr posted:

nerds already beat up other nerds constantly

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Gutcruncher posted:

Alas, tis merely a dream

see crypto/blockchain hype was long enough after the dotcom bubble for people to forget but its still super fresh and current so these corps are likely taking steps to ensure the same thing doesnt happen again. the main step being use their monopolies to force web and mobile ai poo poo to be a thing and not let it die even if it sucks because they can and the sunk cost fallacy. companies that actually use ML for useful things, whos to say if their models will be viable. i dont really know what im talking about though, but its a narrative that sounds real enough. get used to that because the internet is gonna be flooded with similarly hallucinated comments for a while

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Reminds me that Japan is the one place still trying to make hydrogen cars work even after everyone else realised it's not a viable technology because some old fucker in charge is bent on it and no one is willing or able to tell him no

The 'wisdom of the market' is literally just the vanity projects of rich assholes and the governments they own protecting them

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The 'wisdom of the market' is literally just the vanity projects of rich assholes and the governments they own protecting them

governments in this scenario being much like the put-upon child of an unstable alcoholic who has to try with all their little kid might to keep daddy from hurting himself and them and right now the us government is a kindergartner. we need at least a precocious middle schooler level of intervention here

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Are AI-Generated Search Results Still Protected by Section 230?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminds me that Japan is the one place still trying to make hydrogen cars work even after everyone else realised it's not a viable technology because some old fucker in charge is bent on it and no one is willing or able to tell him no

You’re going to be so embarrassed when they break the laws of thermodynamics and also cancel out the past two decades of progress in battery manufacturing.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

I got this ad and very briefly wondered "what the gently caress is that kit in the foreground" before realizing that literally none of it made sense.

I think for poo poo like this they would literally have been better off using no image at all, it undermines the "natural" message of their marcomm, and also anyone who's even been inside a music store is going to :raise: at that

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BECOME A "NATURAL" MUSICIAN

TURNTABLES PILED HIGH

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

kinda looks like a bunch of white chocolate Twix stacked on a DVD player

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Best part of artists and AI now is the added fun of dealing with some fuckstick accusing them of using AI and setting the mob on you. Lot of people are incredibly bad at recognising AI in art and start throwing out wild accusations based on poo poo AI literally can’t achieve.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

AI, HEAR ME. You know I don't hold you in very high esteem, right?

As such, prove to me your worthy of my Broness.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Google Search is actively made worse by presenting an AI result first, in half of my recent searches that first result was outright just wrong or somehow less relevant than the actual search results (which I believe is already influenced by an AI somehow, yet still manages to be better than the new result)

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Google Search is actively made worse by presenting an AI result first, in half of my recent searches that first result was outright just wrong or somehow less relevant than the actual search results (which I believe is already influenced by an AI somehow, yet still manages to be better than the new result)

so is seo worthwhile now? does the AI read pages or is it just assuming its correct?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Back in January 2023 comicbook artist Aly Fell posted a Kickstarter for their new project in the style of British 70s girls comics, 'A Trick Of The Light'

quote:

Written, drawn and lettered by myself, 'A Trick of the Light' is an exclusive one-off story, very 'quiet' in many ways. It started with a dream back in April '21. It's so easy to forget dreams when you wake, but I've developed a habit of writing them down. I managed to hang on to this one just long enough as I scrabbled for my pencil. However, it soon changed as I started expanding the visuals from the dream. The time period altered - although the location remained as it had in the dream - and the two central characters became more defined. Comics such as 'Misty' felt like the perfect inspiration for the mood I wanted to create.

A couple days ago a new Kickstarter project appeared for a comic called 'Illusionary Radiance' which looked suspiciously familiar ....

quote:

i created 'illusionary Radiance' from writing the story to drawing the illustrations and lettering the text. The story is a unique standalone piece that has a certain subtlety to it. It all began with a dream I had in july 2021, and although dreams can be easily forgotten upon waking up, I made it a habit to write them down. Luckily, I was able to hold onto this one long enough to jot it down. As I started expanding on the visuals from the dream, the time period changed, but the location remained the same. The two main characters became more defined, and I drew inspiration from comics like 'Misty' to evoke the mood I was aiming for.
:thunk:

People spotted it pretty much immediately and Kickstarter Inc canceled it right away when they reported it

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Mr Teatime posted:

Best part of artists and AI now is the added fun of dealing with some fuckstick accusing them of using AI and setting the mob on you. Lot of people are incredibly bad at recognising AI in art and start throwing out wild accusations based on poo poo AI literally can’t achieve.

Basically "highly detailed and/or saturated colors"= "IT'S AI! GET THEIR rear end".

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah. My wife is a professional illustrator with years of experience and a masters degree in design and illustration and now she has to deal with comments about how so and so part of her work is “sus”. It was sussy ears the other day. Sussy. Ears. People have accused work from like 2017 of being AI gen, people have accused ink work in her sketch book of being AI.

It was bad enough when AI was going to take work away from an illustrator but now you have to deal with the frothing psychos coming the other direction. Literally had people spam emailing a convention she volunteers for doing art charity stuff demanding they poo poo can her for being an AI artist.

Longlisted for the folio society last year and hopefully this year too but now she’s super reluctant to even post about it because they’ll do the same poo poo there.

:magical:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mr Teatime posted:

Yeah. My wife is a professional illustrator with years of experience and a masters degree in design and illustration and now she has to deal with comments about how so and so part of her work is “sus”. It was sussy ears the other day. Sussy. Ears. People have accused work from like 2017 of being AI gen, people have accused ink work in her sketch book of being AI.

It was bad enough when AI was going to take work away from an illustrator but now you have to deal with the frothing psychos coming the other direction. Literally had people spam emailing a convention she volunteers for doing art charity stuff demanding they poo poo can her for being an AI artist.

Longlisted for the folio society last year and hopefully this year too but now she’s super reluctant to even post about it because they’ll do the same poo poo there.

:magical:

If you can't tell how it was produced it doesn't really matter how it was produced. You have so much more control over real art it will show in a finished collection or coherent story.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://x.com/MalteLandwehr/status/1792465084054376611

https://x.com/Pinboard/status/1792239012444299595

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

pixaal posted:

If you can't tell how it was produced it doesn't really matter how it was produced.

Most products we can't tell how it was produced but it still matters to people, it's why we have things like the rain forest alliance logo on coffee or 'Made in USA' on tshirts.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

QuarkJets posted:

yandex is the new google, CC's the FSB on your searches instead of the NSA :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Yandex is shockingly good. I've been trying it out for the last couple of months, way better than Google.