Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Everyone else is varying levels of sensible to boring. The main dude is all blue and named loving Geoff. Creativity through supreme laziness.
I think I recruited that guy in Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Million Ghosts posted:

Everyone else is varying levels of sensible to boring. The main dude is all blue and named loving Geoff. Creativity through supreme laziness.

Geoff is a fancy name if you're Japanese.
:goonsay:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

VC does rule

when you inevitable get stuck on chapter 7 come back here and i'll give you quality advice

It's been a while since I played it, is chapter 7 the kidnapping in Randgris? That was a pain in the rear end, but abusing like 3-4 shocktroopers for reaction shots into the rear of the transport was how I ended up doing it.

I swear, one of these days I'll finally finish VC2. That day is not today, nor will it be a day where VC3 is localized :eng99:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Nah Chapter 7 is big loving tank chapter

or if it's not, I meant the big loving tank chapter

also VC3 has a translation patch, skip VC2 and get that

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Nah Chapter 7 is big loving tank chapter

or if it's not, I meant the big loving tank chapter

also VC3 has a translation patch, skip VC2 and get that

Oh really? Sounds like a plan. I don't exactly hate VC2, but I don't have the drive to finish the story like I had with the first.

Those of you playing Natural Doctrine, how is the Vita version? I mean, I could always buy it on PS4 and cross-play it. I haven't messed around with the interaction between the two yet so I have no idea how it works. I assume Sony want me to buy a copy on both systems for the cross-play, cross-save gimmick. Basically, I love lovely anime J/SRPGs and can't decide on if I want the Vita or PS4 version.

Oblivion590
Nov 23, 2010

HiveCommander posted:

It's been a while since I played it, is chapter 7 the kidnapping in Randgris? That was a pain in the rear end, but abusing like 3-4 shocktroopers for reaction shots into the rear of the transport was how I ended up doing it.

I swear, one of these days I'll finally finish VC2. That day is not today, nor will it be a day where VC3 is localized :eng99:

No, that one is Chapter 10. You can complete it in 1-2 turns if you use the same unit for all of your actions and don't get yourself killed off along the way.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Oblivion590 posted:

No, that one is Chapter 10. You can complete it in 1-2 turns if you use the same unit for all of your actions and don't get yourself killed off along the way.

drat, it's a lot further into the game than I remembered it. Shocktroop spam was fun though. Watching it move and have a literal firing squad blaze away and complete the mission in the enemy turn was amusing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Chapter 10 is pretty dumb

Normally I'm an apologist for pretty much everything about VC but chapter 10 is straight busted. First turn shocktrooper kill every day.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I think my main issue was that I was pumping all my XP into Scouts and Lancers since between the two classes, they solved like 95% of all problems. Oh boy, did I learn my mistake after chapter 10...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BloodWulfe posted:

Though I do recognize that VC was way more well received than Ring of Red ever was. I've been playing Ring of Red every day since launch and I still haven't reached the end yet.

Ring of Red really needed an in game save that didn't erase when you loaded it, or some checkpoints. I played it until one day I got towards the end of a 2 hour map and still lost, never touched it again.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HiveCommander posted:

I think my main issue was that I was pumping all my XP into Scouts and Lancers since between the two classes, they solved like 95% of all problems. Oh boy, did I learn my mistake after chapter 10...

There's nothing wrong with elite scouts. Rifle grenades rule.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mokinokaro posted:

There's nothing wrong with elite scouts. Rifle grenades rule.

You can outright break Tank fights with Scouts. Pump them with the two-star Tank damage boost Order and aim at the radiator. One round of shooting and no more tank to worry about.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
VC3 tackled the Scout "problem" by making interception fire so powerful it drops them in seconds. Though with the right equipment and orders you can still single-turn a decent number of maps.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Is it normal that a super slim PS3 can't play Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 1.5? I can't get past the selection screen--clicking on Final Mix causes the disc to spin and spin to no avail, and I have to quit to the XMB. What up with that?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I kind of liked in VC1 how you could play a ton of the maps as puzzles where you had to figure out "How do I get my scout from deploy point to X in Y turns". You could often plot a course that allowed you to sneak around line of sight and get to a capture point you could either backcap under their nose or launch the defenders away with nades.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
So it looks like Atlus is releasing Tears to Tiara 2 next week. I've watched some Japanese video and it looks very reminiscent of Jeanne d'Arc. How is it actually?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
So I've never played Lunar Silver Star Story. I have it on ios. What should I be expecting?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Himuro posted:

So I've never played Lunar Silver Star Story. I have it on ios. What should I be expecting?

It's a somewhat clunky 90s RPG that punishes grinding to an extent if they kept the boss leveling system from the PSX version. It has a macro system where you can make sets of commonly used actions to speed up random battles and such.

And since this is SA I should probably mention that there's some fairly sleazy anime scenes involving 14 year olds later in the game.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

dis astranagant posted:

It's a somewhat clunky 90s RPG that punishes grinding to an extent if they kept the boss leveling system from the PSX version. It has a macro system where you can make sets of commonly used actions to speed up random battles and such.

And since this is SA I should probably mention that there's some fairly sleazy anime scenes involving 14 year olds later in the game.

Is..SA known for pedophilia or something?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Not only do you have to go out of your way to see that but it's like, PG-13 fare at worst.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Himuro posted:

"Check this out." :smuggo:

Anyway, expect an easy and simple yet charming game. A bit slow too, if it's based on the PSP version.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Himuro posted:

More like panicking about it.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

kirbysuperstar posted:

"Check this out." :smuggo:

Anyway, expect an easy and simple yet charming game. A bit slow too, if it's based on the PSP version.

This is the ios version. Does it look based on the psp version to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3UuvKujjNQ

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Himuro posted:

This is the ios version. Does it look based on the psp version to you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3UuvKujjNQ

That looks like a direct port of the PSX version. The PSP version is yet another remake, with new art.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What I remember about Lunar is that the voice acting is horrifically cheesy, cutscenes are real media ugly, the localization had a lot of weird parts like one character talking about eating his Wheaties, the main character's story powerup gives him a helmet/no-cape in cutscenes and no-helmet/cape sprite and that just really bothered me for some reason, and enemies that moved a million miles an hour and were annoying as gently caress. I don't think I ever actually finished it.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Nate RFB posted:

What I remember about Lunar is that the voice acting is horrifically cheesy, cutscenes are real media ugly, the localization had a lot of weird parts like one character talking about eating his Wheaties, the main character's story powerup gives him a helmet/no-cape in cutscenes and no-helmet/cape sprite and that just really bothered me for some reason, and enemies that moved a million miles an hour and were annoying as gently caress. I don't think I ever actually finished it.

Doesn't that just fill you with nostalgia for PSX RPGs? I dunno, I really liked Lunar (not sure about the whole weird scene mentioned above). It's charming, a bit clunky, but overall a great game and especially so considering when it was released. It was a bit tough on PSX (PSP nerfed the difficulty). The sequel was better but tough to get. It's a shame neither are up on PSN.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

VC3 tackled the Scout "problem" by making interception fire so powerful it drops them in seconds. Though with the right equipment and orders you can still single-turn a decent number of maps.

Most of the maps are so small that you can just use Shocktroopers most of the time. They also have the added bonus of actually being able to kill things without needing an Ace weapon and/or a bit of luck for headshots.

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
It's probably the optional hot springs stuff, which requires you to spend a stupid amount of money for an item at a very specific point in time, and one of them requires you to pretty much spam a late-game skill in order to make it through a short dungeon. They're also about 5 seconds long at most.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Forest Thief Pud posted:

It's probably the optional hot springs stuff, which requires you to spend a stupid amount of money for an item at a very specific point in time, and one of them requires you to pretty much spam a late-game skill in order to make it through a short dungeon. They're also about 5 seconds long at most.

That explains it, I am never quite that dedicated with vast majority of games.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Himuro posted:

You've been here for 7 years now, you tell me :shrug:

WrightOfWay posted:

Most of the maps are so small that you can just use Shocktroopers most of the time. They also have the added bonus of actually being able to kill things without needing an Ace weapon and/or a bit of luck for headshots.
Did they find a way to make ace weapons not suck rear end? In VC1 they were almost entirely guns with a little more damage, but with a range and accuracy penalty that doesn't make the extra damage seem worth it.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ace weapons are insane in VC3 (half the time, the other half suck)

Ten shot scout weapon stronger than the five shots being sold, shocktrooper weapons that are twice as strong with reticules the size of a pinhole, sure why not.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Ace weapons are insane in VC3 (half the time, the other half suck)

Ten shot scout weapon stronger than the five shots being sold, shocktrooper weapons that are twice as strong with reticules the size of a pinhole, sure why not.
:getin:
Sounds a lot better than the usual 6-shot scout rifle with the range and spread of your average shocktrooper machine gun.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Captain Walker posted:

Is it normal that a super slim PS3 can't play Kingdom Hearts HD Remix 1.5? I can't get past the selection screen--clicking on Final Mix causes the disc to spin and spin to no avail, and I have to quit to the XMB. What up with that?

It works ok for me

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Walker posted:

Scratched disc? Dying PS3?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

More like panicking about it.

Thank God you're here to stand up for the pedophiles.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lunar was not a spectacular rpg, by any stretch, but it did have a lot of charm to it that was appealing to a teen / pre-teen especially in the psx era. unfortunately this translates to incredibly poor aging, with very little of it being part of something fun or recommendable to someone just getting into the series. and i never was able to sit through those singing portions, hooooo boooy, what embarrassing nonsense the 90s were.

i liked lunar 2 better anyway, felt like the difficulty was more reasonable in that one.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Wendell posted:

Thank God you're here to stand up for the pedophiles.

Nah I think with this case, panicking is the right word. It's overreacting to say that about Lunar!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Srice posted:

Nah I think with this case, panicking is the right word. It's overreacting to say that about Lunar!

But ain't nobody gonna say it in the first place! He just had to preemptively own those rotten pedophile haters.

Anyway, the boat song ruled and still rules, hubris.height, kindly check yourself. Lunar's overly slow and uncomplicated battle system is its main flaw.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

WrightOfWay posted:

I actually found myself using Shocktroopers less and less in the endgame because I got sick of them running out of AP in no man's land; I used them more for defending bases and chokepoints. Occasionally it'd be a case of they would take bases, it would just take a couple of turns of them jumping from sandbag to sandbag before they get there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Wendell posted:

Anyway, the boat song ruled and still rules, hubris.height, kindly check yourself. Lunar's overly slow and uncomplicated battle system is its main flaw.

if it owns so much you won't mind listening to it at your desk today at a volume at which passerbys can hear the lyrics to the song

:colbert: