Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Burning Beard posted:

Here she is at the ECM panel of the B-1 backseat display at the little Air and Space Museum here. I was at the bomb control panel but we switched after a few minutes so she could nuke select Soviet SIOP targets:

DSO seat/OSO seat come on now.

They all want to be called WSOs now though no matter where they sit in the back seats. Usually you get trained for both seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Interesting article in the latest New Yorker(behind a paywall) about Chinese espionage, largely related to their aerospace industry. The guy who's the focus of the piece apparently turned over huge amounts of information about B-1 when he was working at Rockwell. This made me realize I know very little about Chinese aircraft. I mean, clearly there's some overlap with Soviet stuff, up to a point, but post split, it seems to me like they really took their time getting their own development and production off the ground. Based on wikipedia, it looks like their only bomber is their domestic Badger variant/knockoff.

Am I the only one who think that looks too long and too much like a toy?

Veritek83 fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 4, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Because their fighters look so nice the Russians had to make especially ungainly and awkward looking bombers to keep the universe balanced.

Edit: and I'd imagine it's only been the last decade or so China has really bounced back from terrorizing the intellectuals during the Cultural Revolution and the like. While the US and Soviets were spending ridiculous sums on the space race, military tech, and generally inspiring a new generation of engineers and scientists Mao was trying his hardest to crush that down.

Alaan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 4, 2014

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Got this in my email for somehow and for some reason.

Save the EA-18 Growler

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Back Hack posted:

Got this in my email for somehow and for some reason.

Save the EA-18 Growler

It seems rather scummy for Boeing to be asking citizens to tell the government to give Boeing billions of dollars.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Shoulda saved the EA-6B :colbert:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
On the other hand, the Super Hornet/Growler are the only things the Navy's done right in aviation in how long? :v:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

uPen posted:

It seems rather scummy for Boeing to be asking citizens to tell the government to give Boeing billions of dollars.

They could've astroturfed the American Association of Electronic Warfare Veterans or something; at least they're being honest about it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Boeing are colossal assholes with their crocodile tears patriotism. They bought a huge billboard in Wichita to advertise the "American-made" KC-46, and made sure to emphasize the importance of keeping Aerospace jobs in Wichita. The same week they were awarded the KC-X contract, they announced they were closing the Wichita plant and moving operations to Seattle.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 03:16 on May 5, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Back on the Eurocopter Tiger, I find it interesting how many helicopters are out there that look pretty much identical to it

Tiger:

Agusta A129:

South Afreeka Denel Rooivalk:

Chinese WZ-10:

Of course the devil is in the small details so the general design of that stepped cockpit is the main similarity.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

priznat posted:

Agusta A129:

What are the guys on the landing gear doing here? I'm guessing this isn't a normal mission.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uPen posted:

Are you new to the aerospace industry? That is SOP.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Davin Valkri posted:

What are the guys on the landing gear doing here? I'm guessing this isn't a normal mission.

Looks like aircrew recovery practice. I don't know when it was realized that attack helicopters could pick up a couple guys in an emergency, but this is the first mention of it that I remember, personally:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/article-430251/Pictures-Marines-strap-chopper-daring-rescue.html

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Veritek83 posted:

Am I the only one who think that looks too long and too much like a toy?

Haha, sometimes I can't help but think that the only thing :china: really cares about is making stuff that would look cool in a movie.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Davin Valkri posted:

Agusta being Italian they had to test there was a viable way to pick up chicks with it.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Not just an Italian thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH_E6YSQqTo

Someone get the Ukrainian Defense Minister on the phone, Putin won't stand a chance if all the Russian soldiers are worried about Ukrainian Jodies stealing away their women.

This video reminded me of the VDV promo video, which is still one of the greatest things I have ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOaGgY2yUHw

e: Especially since because I'm pretty sure it was made in the early '00's I like to imagine that this video alone consumed a sizable chunk of the Kremlin's budget.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 5, 2014

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

iyaayas01 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOaGgY2yUHw

e: Especially since because I'm pretty sure it was made in the early '00's I like to imagine that this video alone consumed a sizable chunk of the Kremlin's budget.

Your video lead me to this:

http://youtu.be/ihVszNrz6dQ

It's one of those cheesy CGI proof of concept videos that military defense contractors release to help demonstrate, justify, and/or explain an expensive piece future hardware that usually ends up being too costly, too complex, or just plain badly designed. The difference is this one is for an Russian ground attack drone for when they invade the States. :v:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 05:57 on May 5, 2014

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Back Hack posted:

You're video lead me to this:

It's one of those cheesy CGI proof of concept videos that military defense contractors release to help demonstrate, justify, and/or explain an expansive piece future hardware that usually ends up being too expensive, too complex, or just straight up badly designed. The difference is this one is for an Russian ground attack drone for when they invade the States. :v:

I like the bit at 4:15 or so where the SWORDS drone fires at the Russian drone in the spotlight and the Russian drone pulls a rocket launcher from its rear end and goes "No, gently caress you!"

EDIT: Are all defense tech CGI videos this...toyetic? It feels like it belongs in a bad 1990s commercial. "RC TANK WITH REAL rear end ROCKET ACTION" or something.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 5, 2014

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I like how they're supposedly being driven from a laptop and yet have aimbot situational awareness which lets them shoot at everyone with a LAW before they get to shoot the drones. Also, any over/under guess on what volume of those things is comprised of reloads for their LAWs by the end? Cause seriously.

I have a feeling that that project died because the drones weren't survivable because they couldn't get the needed situational awareness to kill every threat ever. That video anyway is probably the surest sign the USSR lost the cold war, they have a military-industrial complex too.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

xthetenth posted:

I like how they're supposedly being driven from a laptop and yet have aimbot situational awareness which lets them shoot at everyone with a LAW before they get to shoot the drones. Also, any over/under guess on what volume of those things is comprised of reloads for their LAWs by the end? Cause seriously.

Everything that is not taken up by the machine gun ammo, the engines strong enough to crash through brick walls or the bulletproof armor. Or the electronics. I'm telling ya, they've got a dimensional pocket in there to cram all this stuff in.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

ArchangeI posted:

Everything that is not taken up by the machine gun ammo, the engines strong enough to crash through brick walls or the bulletproof armor. Or the electronics. I'm telling ya, they've got a dimensional pocket in there to cram all this stuff in.

Don't forget the frag grenades or the smoke grenades.

I'm pretty sure if the thing really got made it'd be the world's cutest little Bradley, and only capable of using that stretcher on city streets.

The totally effective Mogadishu special AA was worth watching for though.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

ArchangeI posted:

Seriously, I thought this might be Michael Bay test driving CGI for the next Transformers move. The whole open nose missile launch thing was straight out of Hollywood big budget scifi.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?
That second shot into the downed and burning helicopter was the russianest thing ever

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Back Hack posted:

Best thing I've watched in a long time. 10/10 Attack of the Killer Roller-skates, would watch again

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
They acknowledge that this is a universe where thermal imaging exists, and yet apparently all it takes to blind an M1 is some very thin smoke.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
They also rely on everyone firing at them missing.

Although I guess the same could be said for a lot of engagements so :shrug:

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 5, 2014

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Davin Valkri posted:

I like the bit at 4:15 or so where the SWORDS drone fires at the Russian drone in the spotlight and the Russian drone pulls a rocket launcher from its rear end and goes "No, gently caress you!"

EDIT: Are all defense tech CGI videos this...toyetic? It feels like it belongs in a bad 1990s commercial. "RC TANK WITH REAL rear end ROCKET ACTION" or something.

Russia finally has the technology to make DickButt a reality.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Back Hack posted:

It's one of those cheesy CGI proof of concept videos that military defense contractors release to help demonstrate, justify, and/or explain an expensive piece future hardware that usually ends up being too costly, too complex, or just plain badly designed. The difference is this one is for an Russian ground attack drone for when they invade the States. :v:

This looks like Ghost Recon DLC.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

That video reminds me of the Gripen propaganda sales demo propaganda video, except with worse CG. Sweden clearly has a technology advantage in the CG Wars.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Really to me it's just hilarious that they always make these videos of Russian hardware shooting at Americans. When in reality they'll be exclusively used on the people of whatever country happens to purchase them (probably including Russians).

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

How about this one Future Combat System , it looks like a 90's intro trailer for a video game.

Fun starts at 2:57, it should be noted that all of the "future" vehicles and hardware displayed in this video has all been shelved, cancelled, or never developed before they were expected to be deployed in 2014.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Psion posted:

On the other hand, the Super Hornet/Growler are the only things the Navy's done right in aviation in how long? :v:

I don't know, the HAAWC seems like a pretty good idea...that should've been thought of back in loving 1980.

The whole idea just seems...off to me. Hunting submarines from 30,000 feet.

I actually do think the Navy could do with a few more Growlers (170 E/A-6Bs were built to the current 100 E/A-18G), but when you get down to it, they can just re-kit Super Bugs if/when more Growlers become necessary. The testbed for the Growler was an F/A-18F with a firmware update, for gently caress's sake. And Australia is ordering Super Hornets that can be field-reconfigured into Growlers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:16 on May 6, 2014

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.
post the WIGEst pics u got :ussr:

SM-8 Prototype

Caspian Sea Monster

Orlyonok

Loon test firing an anti-shipping missile

LOTS OF EKRANOPLANS

I have a copy of the book "Russia's Ekranoplans", which has a lot of information on the various programs concerning WIGE craft that the Soviets worked on or looked at. It's a niche technology to be sure, but interesting to consider the pocket uses for vehicles like these.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Boeing are colossal assholes with their crocodile tears patriotism. They bought a huge billboard in Wichita to advertise the "American-made" KC-46, and made sure to emphasize the importance of keeping Aerospace jobs in Wichita. The same week they were awarded the KC-X contract, they announced they were closing the Wichita plant and moving operations to Seattle.

I know some of people there that were in the industry and man it was hosed up. At the time the local representative was a total clown and made a huge deal out of KC-46, he bought the Boeing argument hook, line and sinker. This idiot didn't even know that the EADS tanker would have been just as American-made as KC-46. And it's not like Boeing was even particularly interested in supplying the Air Force with a good tanker - the point was to keep Airbus from gaining ground on American soil so they couldn't compete in the commercial market.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arglebargle III posted:

Also, their conclusion that they didn't generate any useful data is pretty hilarious in light of the blatantly irresponsible methodology. They could have done this with some potted plants and a lab sized radio emitter instead of a loving 10Mw reactor designed for propulsion research.

You have to keep in mind that the 10MW reactor wasn't there so that they could test soil samples. The purpose of the facility was to explore the materials effects of irradiation. If you're going to put your propulsion reactor on your B-36 and fly it around, you need to know what that flux is going to do to your tires, your hydraulic fluid, your wing box, etc.

And hell yes if you have a 10MW reactor to zap poo poo with you're going to zap the poo poo out of things.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

priznat posted:

Shoulda saved the EA-6B :colbert:

No, it was definitely time for it to go. Interestingly, one of the options during the analysis of alternatives for airborne EA was was the EA-6C. The idea was to rebuild the same airplane with more modern materials and avionics. They also explored the idea of reopening EA-6B factory lines as well.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I don't know, the HAAWC seems like a pretty good idea...that should've been thought of back in loving 1980.

The whole idea just seems...off to me. Hunting submarines from 30,000 feet.

I actually do think the Navy could do with a few more Growlers (170 E/A-6Bs were built to the current 100 E/A-18G), but when you get down to it, they can just re-kit Super Bugs if/when more Growlers become necessary. The testbed for the Growler was an F/A-18F with a firmware update, for gently caress's sake. And Australia is ordering Super Hornets that can be field-reconfigured into Growlers.

Just a side note, the total planned procurement is at 135. The problem with "re-kitting" Supers is that there is nowhere to pull additional airframes from. In addition, the production lines are nearing the end of their planned production. Either way DoD is going to have pony up money for more airframes if you want more EA-18Gs.

edit: Also saying "The testbed for the Growler was an F/A-18F with a firmware update, for gently caress's sake" is a bit of a red herring. The initial testing where they used the "F" model was purely designed to validate flight characteristics with the ALQ-99 and ALQ-218 hardware hanging off the jet. It was not intended to work as a complete mission ready system. That testing was just to support the Milestone C / LRIP I decision. Also there is more to "kitting out" a Super Hornet than just hanging some pods and wingtip pods on the aircraft. It requires additional wiring and antenna arrays.

vulturesrow fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 6, 2014

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's okay, every other week they threaten to pull something out of Seattle and move it to South Carolina.

Boeing is lovely to all their respective states because they want everyone to blink and give them tax breaks or whatever poo poo this week.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Burning Beard posted:

While your post is noted, bombers are still way better than loving Caillou. Watch Caillou for a few episodes and let me know if B-52s with nukes are not a better alternative.

Hint: They are.

Sweet Jesus this is true.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
The Super Hornets Australia is ordering are being built at the factory to support the conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Mortabis posted:

The Super Hornets Australia is ordering are being built at the factory to support the conversion.

Sure. But that is adding all the extra in at time of build. That's a different animal than trying to take a "normal" Rhino and converting to a Growler.