Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

The Great Autismo! posted:

what are you using a visa processing service for with a work visa? don't you just have the letter of invitation and you turn it in to the consulate?

Not anymore. Do that, wait 5 business days, get fingerprinted at consulate, wait another up to 5. No fucks given for how much hassle or expense is involved.

So the utility of agents has drastically increased, meanwhile even the ones who aren't lying idiots don't know how anything works anymore.

My visa is in progress in san Francisco, I know of someone who just got theirs in Chicago and only took 3 days. But those are "you may have to come here and won't know far in advance days," so don't leave town.

Seriously, if they don't fix this poo poo, I think there may be upward wage pressure coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

VideoTapir posted:

Not anymore. Do that, wait 5 business days, get fingerprinted at consulate, wait another up to 5. No fucks given for how much hassle or expense is involved.

So the utility of agents has drastically increased, meanwhile even the ones who aren't lying idiots don't know how anything works anymore.

My visa is in progress in san Francisco, I know of someone who just got theirs in Chicago and only took 3 days. But those are "you may have to come here and won't know far in advance days," so don't leave town.

Seriously, if they don't fix this poo poo, I think there may be upward wage pressure coming.

Wtf is going on? Tourist visas should be super easy.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
used these guys last time, got 10 year multi entry pretty quick

https://www.nexusholidays.com/

Gotta call to get pricing on the visa service, they are in chicago.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

SB35 posted:

Wtf is going on? Tourist visas should be super easy.

That must be a work visa. I just filled out a form and sent a check for my tourist one last year

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I just sorted out my work visa recently, don't remember any finger printing business at all. Had to send the usual documents and legalisation stuff to get the work permit but for the visa, I just went to the nearest visa office, submitted a printout of my work permit, handed in my passport and paid the fee.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raeg posted:

I just sorted out my work visa recently, don't remember any finger printing business at all. Had to send the usual documents and legalisation stuff to get the work permit but for the visa, I just went to the nearest visa office, submitted a printout of my work permit, handed in my passport and paid the fee.

this is a guy who gets it

VideoTapir what are you doing lmao

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Raeg posted:

This is new as of April at the earliest.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Hey guys, wondering if you can offer any advice or suggestions for me. I'm about to start teaching English to a class of 15 Chinese kids for a week (at least) at a summer camp in England, wanted to see if there were any tips you can think of right off the bat for this, whether it's lesson/activity ideas or just cultural things it would be useful for me to know. They're aged 12-13 and I've been informed that their level is generally very low.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

VideoTapir posted:

This is new as of April at the earliest.

I did my visa in the middle of May?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

I'm about to start teaching English to a class of 15 Chinese kids for a week (at least) at a summer camp in England, wanted to see if there were any tips you can think of right off the bat for this

- Make a no electronics policy immediately.
- Use Harry Potter as much as possible, but not in a detailed way because they won't have actually read/watched it.
- Boys vs Girls for pretty much everything, even if the numbers are uneven.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Raeg posted:

I did my visa in the middle of May?

Where did you do it?

The people my wife has been talking with about visas went to Chicago last month. They had to do fingerprints but didn't take nearly as long. I'm going to San Francisco this month.

By work visa do you mean Z visa?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm doing my work visa right now and I don't have to do any of the stuff you are talking about

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

I'm doing my work visa right now and I don't have to do any of the stuff you are talking about

I dropped mine off a week and a half ago with a new passport and it was the same as it ever was. I think if you're in China it's different though, got not idea what they're doing in the States.

Because of the new passport I had to actually go down to the entry-exit bureau. For renewals I remember not even having to do that.

The only actually new thing I remember was like last two years or so they got way tougher on Americans w/r/t criminal background checks. I managed to get by with my state's proof of no criminal record this time, but it took some convincing. They seem to really want the FBI one now.

Useless Name
May 3, 2005
No, things are pretty stupid with the new visa rules. They include the following*:

Degree verification. University degree should be notarized, and should be notarized as a Chinese consulate/Embassy. A giant gently caress you to anyone not living in a city with either of these. I got mine notarized while still living in China.

Police check notarized. Has to be a recent one, within 6 months, and also needs to be notarized at a Chinese consulate/Embassy. It wouldn't be hard getting these notarized if any agency could do it, but no, it has to be the Chinese consulate/Embassy nearest to you.

*And because this is China, rules vary depending on both province you are applying to work in, and even the consulate/Embassy you're using. If they decide they want you in person to fingerprint you to do the notarization thing, then whelp, hope you live in a city with one. At least a lot of provinces are waving/ignoring these requirements because they know how stupid/difficult they are to implement.

But hey, at least we're getting a plastic ID card this time.

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Love it or leave it lauwai

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Useless Name posted:

No, things are pretty stupid with the new visa rules. They include the following*:

Degree verification. University degree should be notarized, and should be notarized as a Chinese consulate/Embassy. A giant gently caress you to anyone not living in a city with either of these. I got mine notarized while still living in China.

Police check notarized. Has to be a recent one, within 6 months, and also needs to be notarized at a Chinese consulate/Embassy. It wouldn't be hard getting these notarized if any agency could do it, but no, it has to be the Chinese consulate/Embassy nearest to you.

*And because this is China, rules vary depending on both province you are applying to work in, and even the consulate/Embassy you're using. If they decide they want you in person to fingerprint you to do the notarization thing, then whelp, hope you live in a city with one. At least a lot of provinces are waving/ignoring these requirements because they know how stupid/difficult they are to implement.

But hey, at least we're getting a plastic ID card this time.

I wish I was getting that card. It's only in like (parts of) guangdong, and around shanghai and beijing right now afaict

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

I don't have one in Shenzhen yet and neither does anyone else I know.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

I don't have one in Shenzhen yet and neither does anyone else I know.

Shenzhen is basically part of hk and everyone knows it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Actually HK even is more part of guangdong than Shenzhen is

Flutieflakes017
Feb 16, 2012

only if you've been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain
Need to book a hotel in Chengdu for next month today.

Anyone have any specific recommendations? I usually go for nicer Chinese hotels and avoid international chains/hostels.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Flutieflakes017 posted:

Need to book a hotel in Chengdu for next month today.

Anyone have any specific recommendations? I usually go for nicer Chinese hotels and avoid international chains/hostels.

What's your price range? There are one zillion hanting all seasons and ibis hotels which are probably fine and meet your requirements. Do you know what area you need to be in?

Chengdu is p cheap so even the international stuff is generally not bad.

e: there's also a chain called "Orange" which I've stayed at in Shanghai and Beijing and had good experiences with. Kind of a no-frills business place, but generally clean and good service. They have a few locations in Chengdu.

Zipline
May 9, 2013
Alright guys, lay it out for me: how bad of an idea is it to want to work part of the year in China?

A lot of you in the WeChat group know I spent two months in China back in 2015 and just went back last September. It's undoubtedly a horrible place but something about it just got under my skin, and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a job where I spend part of the year in China. Right now I work full time in the staffing industry as an account manager helping companies find contractors. It occurs to me that a lot of international companies are trying to break into the Chinese market, and perhaps I could be a part of that?

One issue is that I'm really not willing to do the more stereotypical relationship building activities in China like sharing hookers or getting wasted together. I'm open to other ideas that would employ me part of the year in China and the rest of the year in the US, but I'm not sure where to start. Another handicap is I don't speak Mandarin but I am willing to learn, and may in fact do so regardless of getting a job there. How dumb of an idea is this?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I remember you coped remarkably well last time, you "got" China to the point of being willing to hang out a bus driver's window while shouting at him not to drive away and instead let you on, or something. And arrested by the PLA at a brick museum or whatever. You were not disheartened, dismayed, or dissuaded. If you want to go back to China for a couple of months, I think you could handle it.

I'll let someone who's worked in the mainland advise you about learning Mandarin

There are probably recruitment jobs. Like this guy:
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170509-the-cities-that-supercharge-your-career

Also look at Taiwan maybe?

And I love that the guy in the article didn't realise he was in CEO meetings as a Face Foreigner, rather than someone expected to contribute.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

e: there's also a chain called "Orange" which I've stayed at in Shanghai and Beijing and had good experiences with. Kind of a no-frills business place, but generally clean and good service. They have a few locations in Chengdu.

Orange in Beijing is pretty good!

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Anyone in XIamen? What the hell do I do there if I have a 12 hour layover (during the day, fortunately)? I'm not planning to get off Gulangyu.

I heard it's one of the few decent places to live in China, but as a tourist I have no idea except to eat fish balls.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hi, got my vaccines today.

The PA said not to drink the water , get ice in drinks, or eat street food. I am going to Shanghai.

Does this sound like reasonable advice? How common is typhoid in Shanghai?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

TheReverend posted:

The PA said not to drink the water , get ice in drinks, or eat street food. I am going to Shanghai.

Don't drink tap water, ice in drinks is fine at higher end/expat-y places, street food is generally delicious but you probably shouldn't eat it and in the summer it is riskier due to hot.

I dunno about the typhoid thing buy I don't know anyone who has gotten typhoid anywhere in China ever???

Baddog
May 12, 2001

TheReverend posted:

It's not India! I would stick with bottled water though for various reasons. But street food is very very tasty.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

TheReverend posted:

Does this sound like reasonable advice?

Don't drink tap water, but eat all the street food you can because it's cheap and delicious. You have 5,000 years of delicious food to sample.

I'd rule out ice for the simple reason that cold drinks are obviously bad for your body.

Zipline
May 9, 2013

simplefish posted:

I remember you coped remarkably well last time, you "got" China to the point of being willing to hang out a bus driver's window while shouting at him not to drive away and instead let you on, or something. And arrested by the PLA at a brick museum or whatever. You were not disheartened, dismayed, or dissuaded. If you want to go back to China for a couple of months, I think you could handle it.

I'll let someone who's worked in the mainland advise you about learning Mandarin

There are probably recruitment jobs. Like this guy:
http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20170509-the-cities-that-supercharge-your-career

Also look at Taiwan maybe?

And I love that the guy in the article didn't realise he was in CEO meetings as a Face Foreigner, rather than someone expected to contribute.

Haha, yeah, all of that was me, though I was actually trying to get my money back from the bus driver and eventually had to let go as he sped away. I'm still p. salty about being left in that rice field by the PLA too.

That article was great, I'm going to look up the companies mentioned in there. Do you know anything about that Thousand Foreigners Plan? Could be interesting.

I'm not so sure about Taiwan. I didn't really enjoy it when I visited in 2015. It was super hot and I ended up getting molested by a man in a park. But it sounds like it worked out pretty well for the token white guy in that article. Perhaps...

Zipline fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 13, 2017

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Cool.

I'll be in Pudong in a big skyscraper. Is their coffee a no-go you think?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

TheReverend posted:

Cool.

if you're in lujiazui you'll be fine, also your office probably has like a pantry with coffee machine in it
but if not there are 500,000 starbucks in the area

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

TheReverend posted:

Cool.

I can't tell if this is a serious question.

Am I really that out of touch with everyone else?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

It's serious. Probably mega ignorant but serious.
Sounds like coffee is fine. I'm just parroting what the PA said.

Sorry for being an idiot. I'm excited about going though. Got my 10 year visa ready!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

What's a PA?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Everyone boils tap water before drinking. Coffee and tea are made with boiling water so it should be fine (for parasites, not heavy metals.)

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if you're in Shanghai you'll be fine, it's probably more posh than the city you're actually coming from

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

if you're in Shanghai you'll be fine, it's probably more posh than the city you're actually coming from

even then Shanghai feels like a handful of posh areas sprinkled with old slums and migrant worker housing

though if he's in lujiazui the urban planning worked well enough to push that stuff further out towards century avenue

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Does anyone actually live in beijing? I'll probably be there sunday night and maybe monday night if anyone wants to meet up a drink/whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Magna Kaser posted:

Don't drink tap water, ice in drinks is fine at higher end/expat-y places, street food is generally delicious but you probably shouldn't eat it and in the summer it is riskier due to hot.

The only time I got sick from street food was in winter, because the steam trays couldn't keep the food hot enough. (Yeah, the lady actually had steam trays!)

If the street food involves oil, make sure you get a good look at it.