Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nitsuga posted:

The serpentine belt is the rubber belt that drives the alternator, A/C compressor. Definitely going to defer to what the mechanics have to say on it, but if a leak from a seal is getting oil onto your serpentine belt it's definitely worth addressing sooner than later. FWIW, that's a V6 Audi in the diagram. I'm not sure whether or not yours but if it is, I think they'd call that a balance shaft. It helps to smooth the timing chain's motion with its counterweights.

I was under the impression it's the I4 2.0T, and if that's the case, I think you're looking at part 18 in the diagram here: https://parts.audiusa.com/a/Audi_20...IN/F201030.html

In either case, it's not going to be a cheap repair, but it's one you want done well and diagnosed properly.

thanks, yeah the picture there was all I could find. Yes it's part 18.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well thanks to this thread (mostly Greeb's photos!) I just bought a 2019 Alltrack S from Carvana, it gets delivered later this week.

I'll post photos once I get it. Original owner bought it new a year ago, it has less than 5K miles.

Should I bother having a shop do a PPI during the 7 day return window, or just drive it around to assess it, give it a look over myself, change the oil based on age, and call it a day since it has almost 70K miles left of factory warranty?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Tyro posted:

Well thanks to this thread (mostly Greeb's photos!) I just bought a 2019 Alltrack S from Carvana, it gets delivered later this week.

I'll post photos once I get it. Original owner bought it new a year ago, it has less than 5K miles.

Should I bother having a shop do a PPI during the 7 day return window, or just drive it around to assess it, give it a look over myself, change the oil based on age, and call it a day since it has almost 70K miles left of factory warranty?

They're definitely not a guarantee against issues, but I would still recommend it. If you're comfortable skipping it, I'd understand, but it's a relatively minor expense in the grand scheme of things. You ought to post a picture or two though.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

actionjackson posted:

one of my dad's many audis was a nogaro blue s4 avant, either 2000 or within a year of that

from a design perspective, my favorite wagon would be that color on the 1995 rs2 avant. I absolutely love those headlights, and in general I love the 1990s styling, 90 degree angles >>> curves

And I still love my old '90 coupe quattro, in every angle except dead-front.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Tyro posted:

Awesome! Drop that sucker a couple inches and it'll look really good imo. Speaking of, I'm selling:

- BEC Golf-R replica headlights (these https://www.becautoparts.com/products/2018-vw-golf-r-style-replica-hid-led-headlights?variant=12176633233522) $450
- Neuspeed power module https://neuspeed.com/collections/volkswagen-golf-mk7-5-1-8l-tsi/products/neuspeed-power-module-641014 $150
- Neuspeed intake https://neuspeed.com/collections/volkswagen-golf-mk7-5-1-8l-tsi/products/neuspeed-p-flo-air-intake-kit-651047 $150
- Eibach lowering springs https://www.tirerack.com/suspension...19&autoModClar= (the 1.4" drop ones) $100

and the Motegi Traklite MR131s with Conti Extreme Contact tires on them if you're local. ($500) For the stuff above I'll ship at actual cost. These all work on I believe any Mk 7.5 with the 1.8 TSI engine so any Golfsportwagen or any regular Golf that doesn't have the 1.4 in it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

my B5.5 came in this shade (not my pic) and I miss it very much

that steering was wonderfully heavy

that's a real nice color

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Tyro posted:

if there's damage or poo poo that's been done wrong (unlikely but possible) a PPI would maybe catch it. For other issues, they would likely manifest during the warranty period.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Greeb I replied to your PM :)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if there's damage or poo poo that's been done wrong (unlikely but possible) a PPI would maybe catch it. For other issues, they would likely manifest during the warranty period.

Yeah I'll probably just do it for peace of mind to see if they catch random damage. Good opportunity to try to find a decent local shop I guess.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Walp I just ordered a 2015 Sportwagen TDI SE 6mt with the fancy pants headlights and stereo. Let us pray I stay out of the horrible mechanical failures thread.

User Error fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 19, 2021

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Can’t wait to see the moonroof in these pics.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
If it leaks I'm gonna silicone the whole thing and pull the fuse.

E: I did have the dealer send me a bunch of high res photos of the headliner

User Error fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 20, 2021

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Car was dropped off today! The 1.8 TSI with the DSG is better than I was expecting, not like my old GTI power wise, but still fun enough to drive. If this thing wasn't almost brand new with a long warranty ahead of it, I would probably be calling the local Unitronic guy though.

My top 2 local shop choices are too busy to give me a PPI before the 7 day return period is up, so tomorrow I'll try to call some others I guess. Car looks nice and drives well but I don't have a lift so I don't mind paying someone else to take a look at it. Local dealership finally posted their price on their same spec, higher mileage CPO Alltrack, and it's about $2900 more than I paid. The sales guys were good sports and told me I got a good deal and to enjoy the car.

I think you're right Greeb that a set of front lowering springs would help the looks a lot.

I suspect my first changes will be a light ceramic tint, maybe paint protection film, and that rearview mirror swap that you did, Greeb.

Presenting, dadmobile:

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hey that looks nice, unlike everyone else on earth I like a red rear end car

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Partner's 2013 Jetta with the anemic 2L. There's no way this coolant hose is supposed to be resting on top of the alternator... right? It has the little padded fitting on there but that just seems like such a strange design decision:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

You have to be able to get coolant to the tail lights somehow. :colbert:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

that's a real nice color
a year after i gave it to my brother, i was perusing a junkyard for a part for my a6, and lo and behold, there it was.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

VelociBacon posted:

Partner's 2013 Jetta with the anemic 2L. There's no way this coolant hose is supposed to be resting on top of the alternator... right? It has the little padded fitting on there but that just seems like such a strange design decision:

Were you being sarcastic? 'cause that's pure stock setup, because, maybe...

Suburban Dad posted:

You have to be able to get coolant to the tail lights somehow. :colbert:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I have some follow-up on my 2011 A4 Avant issue with the magnetic camshaft and the oil leaking

I took it to another place that someone in the thread recommended, and they said that the leakage was very small, so they would wait until I need the timing chain replaced

So I was feeling pretty good about that, until they told me that the timing chain was at six degrees, and at eight degrees is where you start having major issues. I knew timing chains were an issue because I got a letter a few years ago about a class action lawsuit that was settled, but unfortunately the deadline to submit a claim was two years ago.

So I then asked how much it would be to replace the time chain as well as address the leak, and it's 2800 - ouch

but it got to this eight degree mark, then you would have other issues and you'd be looking at 6k

I'm going to get another estimate, but this sucks :/

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

look at it this way: to do the chain and the cam follower is just 9 months of Jetta payments and they will be fixed for the remainder of the life of the car

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm probably said poster, so I'll give you another recommendation of Volkswagen Man, they'd be worth talking to as well. There are some other Euro-focused places out there too, but I can't vouch for them.

Sorry it's bad news you got though. :-/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I will call that place, thanks. I'm also going to ask the place across the street where I typically have been going (because it's across the street).

and yeah I get that it will be fixed forever, it's more that

a) I missed out on the settlement period, which would have covered part of the cost. I got a timing chain that clearly had issues, but it didn't fail early enough, hah!

and

b) much more important, I've been overspending this year so far, so this totally fucks my budget, and is causing me major anxiety attacks. I just have a lot of stresses in my life this year - mainly my greyhound Abby is very old and having a lot of health problems - I thought I was going to have to put her down at the end of last month. As well as some health and relationship issues.

Anyway here is the broken down estimate from Good Carma. loving balance shaft

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I did call the Volkswagen Man, the woman I talked to was very helpful and underbid Good Carma by about 400. She also said you don't know if you need to replace the balance shaft until you get in there, so that might not actually be necessary.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Well, that's relatively good news. I'm not sure it'd net you anything, but it might not hurt to get in touch with Audi Customer Support too. VW's representatives have been pretty helpful with my Golf saga, but your situation is pretty different (mine's still in warranty, et cetera).

Anyway, sorry to hear about all the other things going on. I was in a similar place a couple years ago too (sick dog, broken ankle, expensive car problems, et cetera), and yeah it was tough and really stressful.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

It's worth giving VWoA (1-800-822-8987) a call about the recall thing if it is clearly having issues related to that and you have documentation to price that they may still approve you to have it repaired although it might have to be done through an official dealership.

That's how I got them to pay for a new engine for my GTI when the crank poo poo itself at 80,000 miles even though the car was out of warranty.

The dealer mechanics confirmed it was a manufacturing defect and VWoA covered the replacement including a loaner for the month they had it. I just had to pay for the clutch/flywheel as they were considered wear items.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks, I will call them

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Were you being sarcastic? 'cause that's pure stock setup, because, maybe...

Not being sarcastic, I would really have assumed they wouldn't have designed it to sit on there.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Nitr0 posted:

My 2019 Q8 has the sim enabled in Canada and all data functions including google maps works fine without a cell phone

DoesNotCompute posted:

Yeah that makes sense since it's a '19. No Audi connect features were available on the '17 A4 so it took screwing around with the long coding to get the hardware active and working with software, sim and google maps weren't available otherwise.

It's because the Q8 uses the new MMI3 infotainment system. My 2019 RS5 uses MMI2 and has only the most basic data functions (I can lock and unlock the car via the app). The 2021 B9s got the updated MMI3 interface.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Saw a mythic black, blacked out S8 parked on the curb near my office yesterday.

Was pretty cool. Never seen one before.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib
I've only seen one in the wild, they make a hell of a statement. Can't imagine daily driving one though

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

JACK SHAFT TUBE

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

well VW said the expected wait time was 10 minutes. after 40 minutes on hold I gave up. I'll try again today.

anyone know anything about the balance shaft? As I said, the person I talked to said she had done at least 100 of these timing chain replacements, and only a few times was replacing this part necessary.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Murgos posted:

Saw a mythic black, blacked out S8 parked on the curb near my office yesterday.

Was pretty cool. Never seen one before.

that's awesome, looks like only the latest one was sold in the US (?)

when I hear S8 I can only think of this

though I would imagine with such a large vehicle, handling will definitely suffer compared to an S4 or whatever

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

So I've put 1k, maaaybe 1.5k miles on Baby Truck in the 5 years I've had it (Odo doesn't work but I don't recall filling the tank more than 4 or 5 times) and noticed a weird rumble that felt like a rear wheel bearing last time I had it out

Nah, it was front pax side full tread separation. Once I got it off, since the previous owner put the DOT code on the inside, I learned these tires are legally marriagable in Alabama and Utah.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

I had a nice weekend in the Vanagon in the White Mountains, eastern California. The 2.2L Subaru engine had no problems climbing up to 10,500'. I think it's time to get a Propex heater installed before next winter, though, because 30° F temps were no fun to wake up to.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

That's gorgeous, nice pics! How much do Vanagons cost nowadays anyway

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

There's a huge spectrum, from poorly-maintained rustbucket tintops in the $8k-$10k range to restored, upgraded, engine-swapped syncro Westies over $60k or more. I don't know how many actually sell in that upper range, but if you want one to actually perform well/reliably, they're money pits one way or another.

Mine had two previous owners. The first was a West German woman who settled in Arizona with her partner, used it lightly, and stored it in a dark garage. She sold it to her nephew and his partner in SoCal, who upgraded it, used it lightly, and sold it to me. Original paint and interior, GoWesty 2300cc Wasserboxer, upgraded shocks, replaced fabric pop-top, added awning, stereo, aux battery, some other stuff. I had some really bad experiences with the engine and eventually went for a Subaru EJ22 conversion from Buslab. Significantly better power, 87 octane, better fuel economy, but the most important thing is that reliability is way, way better and it's a Subaru EJ22, an engine that almost anyone will work on. BTW Buslab was bad and I would not recommend them.

One thing I'll say is that if you are interested in getting a Vanagon, do not get one with a Wasserboxer, period. I would trust an air-cooled carbureted bus engine (which they had at the start) over the Wasserboxers. The Wasserboxers are arguably among the shittiest engines VW ever engineered. Worst of all worlds. Poor performance, unreliable, poor parts availability (in the US, anyway) and almost no one will touch them. Anyone who defends a Wasserboxer should not be trusted -- with cars, or in everyday life. They're that loving bad. A Vanagon missing an engine is a good start. Even better would be one with a Subaru swap, a later VW or Audi swap, or an Ecotec swap. Almost any engine that could go in a Vanagon would be better than a Wasserboxer. An upgraded Wasserboxer is a polished piece of poo poo. I'm not exaggerating. Read these words and let them be branded in your mind forever.

rope kid fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 24, 2021

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

got a bit better estimate from VW Man, this is for eight hours labor. hopefully they don't need to replace the balance shaft which is obviously a big expense.

And the JACK SHAFT TUBE is not needed??!!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Oh HELL yeah that labor. VAG: we replaced your timing belt with a chain so it wouldn't wear out. P.S. the tensioners absolutely wear out. P.P.S. we've made them very difficult to get to.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
At least it isn’t a b6/7 S4. Speaking of, what’s the thread’s opinion on rs4 cabs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

willroc7 posted:

At least it isn’t a b6/7 S4. Speaking of, what’s the thread’s opinion on rs4 cabs?

Probably expensive to maintain and the performance, unless impeccably maintained, is probably no better than a B9 S5?

One of the youtubers (I think Matt Watson) did a comparison of a 2011 RS4 vs a 2021 S4 and the difference was like half a car length over a quarter mile.

A quick look around though seems to indicate that a 2008ish RS4 Cab is about 15k cheaper (45k miles $30k at auction) than a 2018 S5 Cab (20k miles and $45k) to purchase though.