Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

joeburz posted:

actually she's wrong, and old

This is correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I hope that if Garland gets confirmed by a lame duck Congress after a full year of falsely calling Obama a lame duck president that people note the irony.

Ah, who am I kidding

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
Will hipsters laser their RBG tats over this?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

newtestleper posted:

Will hipsters laser their RBG tats over this?

You just get a kneeling Kaepernick tat on the other arm.

Sucks if you're not a Niner fan, but hey, that's life.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Also, sucks if you are a niner fan, but that's more a general thing and not just a tattoo thing.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Also, sucks if you are a niner fan, but that's more a general thing and not just a tattoo thing.

Damnit beaten to it :argh:

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Pretty interesting case is being argued today, concerning whether a "no impeachment" rule violates the Sixth Amendment. The rule basically says that you can't have a juror testify about deliberations, which has the effect of precluding using post-verdict evidence of racial bias to challenge the Sixth Amendment sufficiency of the verdict because you can't use that evidence to say that the jury was biased in its deliberations. The question is whether that rule, in this particular case, violated the defendant's right to an impartial jury. Both sides have really compelling reasons why they should prevail, in my opinion, so I think the argument should be a good one.

http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/pena-rodriguez-v-colorado/

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

joeburz posted:

actually she's wrong, and old

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
it's funny how this thread is almost three years old and still has Scalia in the op

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it's funny how this thread is almost three years old and still has Scalia in the op

Being reminded that he died is one of the few pure things left in my life

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

That which is dead can never die.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

We're still waiting on the senate to vote on a new thread.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I see you haven't heard about this holiday season's big family comedy Ghost Justice

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Munkeymon posted:

I see you haven't heard about this holiday season's big family comedy Ghost Justice

I heard it was pure applesauce.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

We don't need any of this jiggery pokery from activist OPs. The SCOTUS Thread is not a living document, it is stone dead.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Is this something to be worried about?

Federal court grants President power to remove CFPB director without cause

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Sounds better than declaring the entire agency unconstitutional?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

His argument is based off of a Scalia dissent and is probably in conflict with actual SCOTUS jurisprudence, so it wouldn't shock me if the ruling is overturned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Is that ruling essentially "I think this person has to much power and the POTUS/Congress shouldn't have been allowed to appoint a single leader instead of a panel" or did I misread it? Because I'm not seeing the actual basis for why a position created through a law passed by Congress and signed by the President is just suddenly "too strong" in a way that would require it to be reshuffled.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

The Warszawa posted:

Pretty interesting case is being argued today, concerning whether a "no impeachment" rule violates the Sixth Amendment. The rule basically says that you can't have a juror testify about deliberations, which has the effect of precluding using post-verdict evidence of racial bias to challenge the Sixth Amendment sufficiency of the verdict because you can't use that evidence to say that the jury was biased in its deliberations. The question is whether that rule, in this particular case, violated the defendant's right to an impartial jury. Both sides have really compelling reasons why they should prevail, in my opinion, so I think the argument should be a good one.

We really ought to get rid of jury trials imo

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Is that ruling essentially "I think this person has to much power and the POTUS/Congress shouldn't have been allowed to appoint a single leader instead of a panel" or did I misread it? Because I'm not seeing the actual basis for why a position created through a law passed by Congress and signed by the President is just suddenly "too strong" in a way that would require it to be reshuffled.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitary_executive_theory#Judicial_decisions

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

The Warszawa posted:

Mark Joseph Stern at Slate has a nice write-up of the proceedings in this case: The Supreme Court Debates Juror Bias

Samuel Alito is a shitheel.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

We really ought to get rid of jury trials imo

Can't defendants waive their right to a jury trial and opt for a bench trial?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Can't defendants waive their right to a jury trial and opt for a bench trial?

Not without consent from the plaintiff/prosecution.

(Possibly state court trials have different rules but the above is true for federal trials.)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Is this where we post hot takes about how bad juries are and do you want your future decided by people that can't get out of jury duty / I for one actually believe in juries and believe it is an important fundamental right

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm not really impressed with Kagan's “[it's] just a different kind of harm” reasoning when the question came up of why someone should be able to pierce the secrecy surrounding jury proceedings over accusations of racial bias, but not other kinds of bias or misconduct.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
What is the reasoning for jury deliberations being secret forever, by the way? The reasons I can think off dont seem to warrant needing that level, at most ten or twenty years under seal. And to this layman doesnt obviously flow from other legal principles/documents.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Kalman posted:

(Possibly state court trials have different rules but the above is true for federal trials.)

That's kind of odd. What's the rationale? The Sixth is a defendant protection, it seems a lot to offer to subject waving it consent from opposing counsel.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kalman posted:

In Louisiana, the defendant cannot waive their right to a jury trial in a capital case. In a non-capital case, the defendant can unilaterally waive their right to a jury trial up until 45 days before trial; within 45 days of trial, a waiver requires the DA's consent.

In Georgia waiving the right to a jury trial requires the prosecution's consent in all cases.

Rygar201 posted:

That's kind of odd. What's the rationale? The Sixth is a defendant protection, it seems a lot to offer to subject waving it consent from opposing counsel.

The theory is that the defendant has the right to a jury trial, which may be waived, but does not have the right to a bench trial.

"There is a difference in a defendant waiving a right he possesses, and in demanding a privilege for which there is no right provided."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

If Garland (or someone else in the new year) gets confirmed, what are some things the lawyers itt think liberal advocacy groups might try to get in front of a new court?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Badger of Basra posted:

If Garland (or someone else in the new year) gets confirmed, what are some things the lawyers itt think liberal advocacy groups might try to get in front of a new court?

US v. Texas (immigration / DACA) is the biggest I think.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Everything that got remanded this year has a shot. Any hot button issues that were remanded, like the aforementioned immigration case, will be.

I think spokeo or one of its offspring will be back eventually for more guidance on when statutory violations constitute concrete injuries. Lots of defense attorneys out there making spokeo arguments.

Transgender will be there, but that should take some time to develop a test case

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

Immigration, religious exemption for corporations (Hobby Lobby), Gerrymandering if the current cases somehow collapse, the death penalty, Citizens United, and maybe something to get LGBT ruled as a protected class?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Gerrymandering for sure. Obama announced that he's going to make that his post-presidential goal. With the census being in 2020 expect them to try and make moves on that ASAP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SCOTUS took no action on a transgender bathroom case, what was the lower court ruling on that one?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Fluffy posted:

Immigration, religious exemption for corporations (Hobby Lobby), Gerrymandering if the current cases somehow collapse, the death penalty, Citizens United, and maybe something to get LGBT ruled as a protected class?

Would Garland help with capital punishment? Isn't he a tough-on-crime jurist?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

FlamingLiberal posted:

SCOTUS took no action on a transgender bathroom case, what was the lower court ruling on that one?

The circuit court ruling overturned the district court in favor of the transgender student. I'm not sure if the trial court has taken the appropriate action as of yet, but the circuit court remanded the title IX stuff back down for reconsideration with a different standard. What will likely happen is GG will win at the trial level now and the school board policy wil be overturned. This will be appealed again but seems to be heavily in favor of the trans student.

Edit: I'm reading through the circuit decision and they're saying that the January 15 letter from the DoE regarding title IX and transgender bathroom usage is a valid agency determination and should be provided deference. This letter states that schools are supposed to allow students to use facilities that match their gender identity. The trial court originally disregarded this letter and the amicus from the Feds that supported it. This means in the 4th circuit gender identity not sex alone is the determining factor.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 17, 2016

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

botany posted:

Would Garland help with capital punishment? Isn't he a tough-on-crime jurist?

The big difference is that you have to follow precedent when you are a a judge for the circuit court. His personal opinions could be different and as a supreme court judge he can set the precedent rather than follow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Mr. Nice! posted:

The circuit court ruling overturned the district court in favor of the transgender student. I'm not sure if the trial court has taken the appropriate action as of yet, but the circuit court remanded the title IX stuff back down for reconsideration with a different standard. What will likely happen is GG will win at the trial level now and the school board policy wil be overturned. This will be appealed again but seems to be heavily in favor of the trans student.

Edit: I'm reading through the circuit decision and they're saying that the January 15 letter from the DoE regarding title IX and transgender bathroom usage is a valid agency determination and should be provided deference. This letter states that schools are supposed to allow students to use facilities that match their gender identity. The trial court originally disregarded this letter and the amicus from the Feds that supported it. This means in the 4th circuit gender identity not sex alone is the determining factor.
That's good then, I wasn't sure which case this was