Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Hamburger Test posted:

Shock is still a thing that is nice not to have to worry about.

Certainly. Avatar of the Veil means you can pretty much consider shocked/chilled ground a free map mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
And just like Juggernaught you can open boxes without looking, just make sure you're at full frenzy stacks.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Haerc posted:

Specifically, I'm looking for a life based blade flurry build.

Something like this? https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1301888

Speaking of builds, I'm having decision paralysis on which one to start with for Breach. There's that Blade Flurry, and five others. Maybe I'll just roll a dice on Saturday morning.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I think I want to do either a Scorching Ray Chieftan, ED/Contagion Occultist, or some kind of KB character. Scorching Ray and ED seem pretty straightforward, but does anyone have any tips for making KB work? I have never played a wand attacker so all I know is that it makes explosions and apparently you need Frost Wall.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
My 0 frenzy charge Flurry Raider died last night on HC due to a client crash. It was a fun build and way better than lacerate that I levelled it with, and the new changes will only make it better. Not sure I can bring myself to make another one for the new league though.

Elerion
May 31, 2011
Speaking of which, I wish they would just put non-league HC out of its misery. It's an entirely irrelevant mode with no players and zero items available for trade. The only purpose it serves at this point is to make it so any progress on masters/atlas etc I make in the current HC league is wiped out and worthless after the season is done. I would much rather get that progress transferred to standard, so I could at least test new things while waiting for the next league.

On the positive side, at least my standard stash doesn't have two thousand "remove only" tabs.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

soscannonballs posted:

I think I want to do either a Scorching Ray Chieftan, ED/Contagion Occultist, or some kind of KB character. Scorching Ray and ED seem pretty straightforward, but does anyone have any tips for making KB work? I have never played a wand attacker so all I know is that it makes explosions and apparently you need Frost Wall.

frostwall got nerfed so you can't hit it with your own attacks, straight KB is basically unplayable without mirrored gear

unless you go KB mines, which works fine and plays like rear end

and unless you go bleed/poison like ghudda: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/Ghudda/characters (Quest_For_Shaqs)

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

Another new amulet?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Glacial Cascade is back!

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
You can get over 20% physical mitigation from a chaos golem in 2.5. What a time to be alive.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Right now, it's really looking like Blade Flurry Raider is going to be The Build for Breach.

I am okay with this. Probably not going to run one, but still cool.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

soscannonballs posted:

Wandin' is in a pretty bad place right now. Shaper/Guardians/T15 bosses, demand either insane dps, high mobility, or lots of sustain; wanders, no longer have any of those. Map clear speed is still very good, even with KB in a 4link and some kind of single-target setup in 5L/6Link which is the norm now. However, you're still going to encounter boss fights and other situations that really suck rear end even with 100k+ dps tooltips. I'd suggest staying away from wanding, especially as a first character.

If you insist, inquisitor full elemental low-life or CI is probably the best but the most expensive, chaos-poison assassin/pathfinder is only slightly cheaper, but just as viable with a slightly lower ceiling imo.

I also fully expect to see some kind of frenzy charge raider version pop-up, which could end up being better then both the above, but who knows.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

peak debt posted:

Glacial Cascade is back!

is that really enough to make it good or is this some of that sarcasm I hear you youngsters like

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

theshim posted:

Right now, it's really looking like Blade Flurry Raider is going to be The Build for Breach.

I am okay with this. Probably not going to run one, but still cool.

I think I might stick with my Gladiator dude simply because of this, even though they'd play fairly similar...goddammit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Glacial Cascade is the Elemental Hit of cold spells. If you put mirrors into it it's almost good.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Random boxes gave me two glacial cascade mtx's, of course it's not going to be useful ever.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Glacial Cascade owned as the third skill in CoCslam a couple leagues ago. It looks cool.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I was considering a golem build last league, but those are some insane buffs and jewels, so long as the jewels aren't ultra rare and 10 exalted a piece that should be a pretty cheap and strong build.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

How do you all get going in a brand new league with no economy yet present? Any hot tips?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Personally? I pray for a good drop early that I can flip. Sold a +1 all/+2 fire gem staff in the first week of Prophecy, a Cospri's Will fairly early on last league.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Most of the time I get by at the start by trading up low currency, usually alts and fusings, while I wait for my first lucky drop.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Rushing to item level 60+ drops and abusing the chaos recipe from the junky rings and amulets you get too many of.

You can quickly get enough chaos to afford decent 20c+ items for your build.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Guess that's about what I expected, thanks. Now I just need to figure out what kind of character I want to play first, that would actually work on a minimum of/no purchased gear.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010
There are a ton of good builds that require almost zero gear investment that make good league starters.

Blade Flurry (if you don't mind playing the flavor of the month poo poo that 50% of the server will be playing)
Essence Drain
Firestorm
Ancestral Warchief
Flameblast, both self-cast and totem variety
Earthquake (still good despite nerfs)
Tornado Shot/Lightning Arrow/insert ranged skill here. These often take slightly better gear to make them work well but they certainly aren't expensive to get going.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

madstrike posted:

Another new amulet?

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/804450716643311616

Upgraded version...doesn't really seem like an upgrade, more of a lateral.

vvv Right, but it removes the chance to freeze and increased damage on freezing. Seems weird that they're calling these "upgrades" when the new item is quite a bit different from the original, unlike the Prophecy uniques which simply add a new mod to the original.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 1, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/pathofexile/status/804450716643311616

Upgraded version...doesn't really seem like an upgrade, more of a lateral.

Free blind on chill aka free blind with cold damage is pretty sweet, and that's 20% free penetration for any cold skill too. Seems pretty sweet to me.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
20% cold pen beats 60% increased damage on just about everything except inquisitor.

It'd be wonderful for WI except that it takes the place of astramentis

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

My only issue is I don't think I can afford to give up Astramentis for a Whispering Ice build.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
Use that amulet with nuro's harp, which also makes the chilled ground more effective in 2.5. Hierophant ranged attack totem ice shot.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
That amulet is pretty crazy. Blind is a huge survivability boost and 20% penetration is easily enough with other sources to let you cut everything to 0% or lower. I guess there are endgame bosses like Atziri can't be chilled, but it'd still be great for 99% of the content out there.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A shame there's a blind mod for maps now!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mystery Prize posted:

There are a ton of good builds that require almost zero gear investment that make good league starters.

Blade Flurry (if you don't mind playing the flavor of the month poo poo that 50% of the server will be playing)
Essence Drain
Firestorm
Ancestral Warchief
Tornado Shot/Lightning Arrow/insert ranged skill here. These often take slightly better gear to make them work well but they certainly aren't expensive to get going.

Yeah Blade Flurry looked cool but I have a really dumb thing about FOTMs. I wanna be a special snowflake just like every other special snowflake :arghfist::saddowns:

That said I forgot about ED+Contagion, that'll do nicely as something I haven't already tried.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Even though the essence was nerfed, delirium is a huge boost to ED and I am glad they're still in there.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
750 a second with potential for support gem boosts still makes it an obscenely powerful addition

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I wonder if they're launching those Essence stash tabs on day one because uh yes please I'll give money for that

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if they're launching those Essence stash tabs on day one because uh yes please I'll give money for that

I think they'll be a bit later, based on what Chris said in the reddit thread. He said "a week or two" a few days ago. Maybe they will rush them though, who knows.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Mystery Prize posted:

Essence Drain
Firestorm
Ancestral Warchief

Low roll facebreakers are dirt cheap and will be even cheaper this league: Shield charge your way to 60 in turbo speed.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/QarldeV/status/804490448978878464

Now this looks fun, if you can deal with the lack of defenses (minus +%block)

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/RoryRackham/status/804493879407886336

Seems like getting the right gear and corrupting it and hoping you don't brick seems a bit much for the upside (unless you get really awesome corruptions, of course).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
https://twitter.com/hrishi2908/status/804492242475839488

I like that one, don't know enough about block builds to say how good it is, but it seems cool!

• Locked thread