Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Nice taco shells.

What's in the broth? Looks darker than I normally associate with birria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Nice taco shells.

Blood.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Speaking of blood.

Stolen from the diet and exercise thread in YLLS, of all places.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DekeThornton posted:

Speaking of blood.

Mmmmmm-mmmm.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

:catstare:

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

That is the future of Danish cooikng. You better get prepared.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
So. Puppy hasn't been very forthcoming with the divorce papers. And I haven't been very insistent that he get them filed. With great fear and trepidation, I emailed him. I said that if he hasn't filed the papers yet, and I haven't been up his rear end to do them, it's possible that maybe we both don't want it to happen. Maybe we're ready to have another go, and see if we can't make this work, even with the distance. We have a friend who racks up obscene amounts of frequent flyer miles, who gave the two of us carte blanche to ask her for airline tickets if we ever needed them.

He called me last night. "I was so happy you sent that email, because I was about to send the same exact one last week. If it hadn't been for the [redacted] that came up, I'd have sent it in the mail."

I didn't even realise that I was holding my breath until I let it out. I never stopped loving him, and I guess now it's not a problem.

Best. Pongal. Ever.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

DekeThornton posted:

Speaking of blood.

brb, gonna fix a sang brulee.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

So. Puppy hasn't been very forthcoming with the divorce papers. And I haven't been very insistent that he get them filed. With great fear and trepidation, I emailed him. I said that if he hasn't filed the papers yet, and I haven't been up his rear end to do them, it's possible that maybe we both don't want it to happen. Maybe we're ready to have another go, and see if we can't make this work, even with the distance. We have a friend who racks up obscene amounts of frequent flyer miles, who gave the two of us carte blanche to ask her for airline tickets if we ever needed them.

He called me last night. "I was so happy you sent that email, because I was about to send the same exact one last week. If it hadn't been for the [redacted] that came up, I'd have sent it in the mail."

I didn't even realise that I was holding my breath until I let it out. I never stopped loving him, and I guess now it's not a problem.

Best. Pongal. Ever.

Dude!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

dino. posted:

:comeback:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Pongal is some sort of sexual thing, isn't it?

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

It is now.

e: :dance: !!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna pongal the poo poo out of my wife tonight. Unless it's just a gay thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm gonna pongal the poo poo out of my wife tonight. Unless it's just a gay thing.

:ohdear: I think I've been doing it wrong. My wife loves to pongal me good. Am I a deviant?

When I lived in NYC there was a good vegetarian Indian place I went to quite often because it was kosher and my brother is religious; it was called Pongal. It was on Lex, I think, around 27th St.

therattle fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 15, 2014

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

automatic ice maker~

I have never lived in a place with one other then a single blissful summer. I was so very happy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

bunnielab posted:

I have never lived in a place with one other then a single blissful summer. I was so very happy.

My experience of things like that is that they produce smelly ice and/or chilled water; the closed system is hard to clean.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

My experience of things like that is that they produce smelly ice and/or chilled water; the closed system is hard to clean.

I got an inline filter that goes between the wall and the fridge and it works great. also emptying out the ice completely from the reserve every other week or so keeps it all fresh.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I'm cribbing a local fusion restaurant's idea and making corn beef tacos. Help me out here.

Flour tortillas
Corned beef, shredded
Shredded cabbage
Diced onions

I need a sauce. Sriracha + greek yogurt? Sriracha + Mayo? Plain old salsa? What sayeth you food goons?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Croatoan posted:

So I'm cribbing a local fusion restaurant's idea and making corn beef tacos. Help me out here.

Flour tortillas
Corned beef, shredded
Shredded cabbage
Diced onions

I need a sauce. Sriracha + greek yogurt? Sriracha + Mayo? Plain old salsa? What sayeth you food goons?

I would do kraut instead of cabbage. Also this is almost just a reuben wrap, so idk if it's really all that ~fusion~

that said, russian dressing would work fine. Mustard aioli maybe. If you want spiciness, just some chopped pickled peppers would work well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
EDIT: And Gravity manages to say it in much fewer words...

Croatoan posted:

Flour tortillas
Corned beef, shredded
Shredded cabbage
Diced onions

At this point, you're basically making a reuben wrap. You could go whole hog and throw thousand island on there. Maybe caramelize the onions before throwing them on there. Maybe a mustard sauce instead of the dressing...

Corned beef is typically on the salty side and you have the various other spices that go into a beef (black pepper, bay leaf, all spice, mustard seeds). I'd probably use a sweet corn-black bean salsa for a topping there. I don't know how big a serving of beef you were thinking of, but for me, corned beef is kind of heavy as it is, where I consider tacos to be lighter, so something acidic to cut through that. Citrus is kind of traditional on tacos, but I can't see lemon/lime with corned beef. Kraut might be good, but that puts you back in reuben territory.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Sweet hashtag bro.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Personally I'd go with crema and lime. And I'd keep the cabbage instead of the sauerkraut, enjoying the crispiness and freshness that it would bring to the party.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A good essay on food in Tarantino films today:

http://www.avclub.com/article/no-one-enjoys-restaurant-table-talk-and-significan-200827

I never made the connection about white foods across all of the films, I admit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

A good essay on food in Tarantino films today:

http://www.avclub.com/article/no-one-enjoys-restaurant-table-talk-and-significan-200827

I never made the connection about white foods across all of the films, I admit.

The rice is the odd one out, though. It would be more accurate to say that it seems ominous at first but turns out to be better for her in the end, symbolic of her training. And maybe that's a better way to tie all the white foods together, instead of saying that they're bad, maybe they're ominous.

I like to point out that Pai Mei actually gives up his own rice in order to feed Beatrice in that moment.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 15, 2014

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I wonder if that's a nod to Coppola at all. Scorsese is nuts about colour too.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

dino. posted:

great news

Fuckin' awesome! It might be worth hunting up a couples counselor even and especially if you guys feel like everything's wonderful now and there's no possible way things could get rough again. From personal experience, you *really* don't want to chance more resentment coming up later seemingly out of nowhere.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dino. posted:

Best. Pongal. Ever.

:3::kimchi:

I'm glad to hear it dino., you always came across sounding like you didn't want things to end. And of course you obviously cared for Puppy the whole time.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SubG posted:

Nice taco shells.

taco shells? :colbert: those are the finest of store bought corn tortillas my friend

yeah, so normally birria broth is almost see through, right? I went overboard with the chili I think - I made about half a cup of chili powder and blended it in my broth. recipe I was sort of following recommended like 8 dried chilies, but I was just like what the heck why not do it up a bit. tasted amazing thoughhhh - same flavor profile, but between the goat gelatin and the thickening power of the chili powder after I ran it through my vitamix, it was like almost a goaty chili gravy. delicious!

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

If I'm gonna get killed for a word it might as well be...pongal

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay, everyone's seen a bunch of horrible vintage cooking websites but I think one's got them all beat:
http://www.midcenturymenu.com

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Okay, everyone's seen a bunch of horrible vintage cooking websites but I think one's got them all beat:
http://www.midcenturymenu.com

That's great, thank you. What I like about it is that they recreate the recipes.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Happy Hat posted:

Pongal is some sort of sexual thing, isn't it?

Hah. No it's the Tamil harvest festival that hits around January 14 or 15 every year. It's my absolute favourite holiday, because it's so much delicious food, and time to get together with friends to exchange more delicious food. Your parents get you new clothes, and you use it as a time to reconcile with friends, get rid of old harmful thoughts in favour of more healthy thoughts. It's that time of year when you really take a look at yourself, and try to make things right if you feel like you've made a mistake. I took a chance, and it paid off.

I made a pot of savoury pongal, and ate it. On the second day of the festival, I fried up some chakkli and murukku for my roommates and my teacher. Her name sounded really REALLY South Indian, so I figured she'd appreciate a little care package. Turns out I was right. She'd forgotten to bring her lunch, and she is from the same area, speaks Tamil, and knows the custom. :)

@PopeCrunch: The only reason we'd started talking about the divorce in the first place was distance. We'd planned on (and actually did) spend every moment together that we could. We still both loved each other deeply. :kimchi:

@Corat: I'd throw in a pico de gallo for sure. I feel like the freshness would really bring out flavours that a more creamy one would mask or mute.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You guys are such loving dumbasses :love:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

This thread has just been amazingly entertaining the last few weeks. :stare:

Love it! Too bad I've been busy with forecasting season!

I'm resurrecting avocado chat because I like them.

geetee posted:

Tomatoes in my guac? Discuss.

NO. Beans in chili, yes, tomatoes in guacamole, no. :colbert:

Doh004 posted:

But I also really like avocados and eat them straight up (with a sprinkling of salt) so YMMV.

Yeah, me too, and this is probably why I keep my guac simple. I like the Mexican BBQ method: slice in half, twist out pit, sprinkle on salt and lime juice, eat directly out of skin with spoon. :Homer Simpson Drool Noise:

New ICSA up later today.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
My guac is a thing of beauty. Avocado, ripe, chunky and natural as possible. Shallot, fresh garlic and jalapeno, lime, salt, cilantro (but not too much, you fuckin bobby flay wannabe.)

I will garnish guac with small-dice tomatoes, folded in at the last second, if I have pretty ones and time.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

pr0k posted:

My guac is a thing of beauty. Avocado, ripe, chunky and natural as possible. Shallot, fresh garlic and jalapeno, lime, salt, cilantro (but not too much, you fuckin bobby flay wannabe.)

I will garnish guac with small-dice tomatoes, folded in at the last second, if I have pretty ones and time.

Your mom emits pretty nasty "guac".

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Okay cool but keep it in the back of your mind and don't be afraid to suggest it if things start to feel strained or whatev.

Also this will be the first time in AGES i have lived in a city big enough for a decent Holi celebration at the right time, I'm loving stoked. I'm going to look like a Sherwin Williams exploded and I am going to love every second of it.

edit to explain: Holi is a Hindu spring festival where you run around throwing brightly colored dye on people. Take one look at this picture and tell me these dudes don't know how to have a good time.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

therattle posted:

Your mom emits pretty nasty "guac".

C'mon, therattle, for shame! You missed the obvious "Your mom loves the guac."

Also yay dino :3:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

C'mon, therattle, for shame! You missed the obvious "Your mom loves the guac."

Also yay dino :3:

Maybe I didn't want to make the obvious joke. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey what's the irc website link that mediaphage set up?