Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Artificer posted:

When is the earliest you can access the Throne Defender duo?

Soon as you get the kings ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tallgeese posted:

Let me explain more clearly.

In the code, the fire infusion itself is assigned a better return than all the other infusions for that particular weapon.

Every return an infusion gives you on a weapon is the product or quotient of one or two numbers being applied to the weapon's base stats. Each weapon has a set of individual numbers that determine what infusions do to their stats.

The Black Knight Ultragreatsword in particular shouldn't be much of a surprise, though. It has fire damage by default, the game encourages you to play to a weapon's strengths. I wouldn't bother infusing a Heide Knight Sword with Magic, for example, that would be a waste.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

That's what I mean. I don't see the point of having a set of effectively useless infusions.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Tallgeese posted:

That's what I mean. I don't see the point of having a set of effectively useless infusions.

Because that's not a problem for most weapons. They let you infuse a weapon with whatever you want; in most cases it makes sense to give you options.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I see your point. Well, it's only a set of percentages anyway.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

uhh, is enemy extinction supposed to be temporary? I extincted all the lions in that one level but after coming back much later they're all back. Scared the hell out of me when I saw them thinking they were gone.

The only thing that would make a difference I can think of is that I killed them all off-line then came on-line later.

I'd like to know how exactly this works if what you say is true. It would make farming twinkling titanite trivial by respawning shrine of amana or aerie without using an ascetic.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Summoning a sunbro for the belfries makes it about 300% funner.

Clowned on a pair of powerstancing UGS jerks then took out the NG+ Gargoyles :hellyeah:

These guys don't know how to cope with more than 1 target.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

This probably wasn't intentional but both the duel spots being next to a bonfire is really convenient. Can wait for a duel while I alt-tab and do other poo poo then just come back to it when it's quiet.

Waiting for duels really takes forever with a 5M+ soul memory character. :(

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Raygereio posted:

Apparently when you try to invade, you're not restricted to the area you're using the red orb in.
I picked up some cracked red orbs in Huntsman's Copse just now and decided to use one because why not? I arrived in an area I haven't been to yet, but what I think was Dragon Shrine. After I returned to my own world after getting my face smashed in by the host and his phantom buddies, I couldn't find my bloodstain anywhere near me.
So are those 10.000 souls I had now on the other side of the gameworld? :psyduck:

This happened to me (unpatched on console so I suppose it could've been fixed).

My bloodstain was nowhere :(

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Red Mundus posted:

uhh, is enemy extinction supposed to be temporary? I extincted all the lions in that one level but after coming back much later they're all back. Scared the hell out of me when I saw them thinking they were gone.

The only thing that would make a difference I can think of is that I killed them all off-line then came on-line later.

You know, this happened to me once on console as well. I extincted the stone horsehead guys trying to get the Llewellyn set, and came back much later to try to do some Mirror Knight invading and they were all back. I'm not sure what caused it, I just chalked it up to a bug.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Mystic Mongol posted:

I could choose between losing all my old games and having my account split in half or just not playing that one game any more. Beacuse VAC title were title specific (up until Dark Souls 2, anyway) I didn't see any particular reason to swap.

Eh.

I mean, yeah, that'd be lame. But I'm willing to risk a few bucks to learn. Also everyone in the thread was talking about how the anti-cheating "obviously" works, so I figured I'd get scientific on it.

Someone should play Lise Meitner to my Otto Hahn and install all the graphical upgrades.

A bit late but you could have your cake and eat it too. Create a new account, use the steam family share to have access to all your games. Play the game without issue. Use vac-banned account to gently caress around to your hearts content.

But yeah the people who keep praising DS2's VAC poo poo are kinda screwy. More people are terrified of using their graphics mods than are afraid of being banned for using cheat engine.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Nuebot posted:

But yeah the people who keep praising DS2's VAC poo poo are kinda screwy. More people are terrified of using their graphics mods than are afraid of being banned for using cheat engine.

The funniest part is that VAC has no ability to detect save or offline editing.

In other words, it has no ability to stop SM 0 max-stat griefers. It's worse than useless, it's actually detrimental to the game because it doesn't stop much cheating and dissuades people from using mods out of terror.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I'm sitting on 120k souls, and I just beat the Smelter Demon. The rock lady with a pony tail still isn't selling unlimited Titanite Shards, and I have this fear of leveling up after playing through Dark Souls so many times. Is it okay to throw a whole bunch of souls into leveling in Dark Souls 2, or can I be spending that scrilla more effectively?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Tallgeese posted:

In other words, it has no ability to stop SM 0 max-stat griefers. It's worse than useless, it's actually detrimental to the game because it doesn't stop much cheating and dissuades people from using mods out of terror.

you can still report players of cheating if you see it yourself, i've ratted out a few who were invincible in summoned pvp. kinda annoying and pointless when they do that. :|

that said, no idea what happens after the reporting, for all i know they might wind up in an email pit.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

zfleeman posted:

I'm sitting on 120k souls, and I just beat the Smelter Demon. The rock lady with a pony tail still isn't selling unlimited Titanite Shards, and I have this fear of leveling up after playing through Dark Souls so many times. Is it okay to throw a whole bunch of souls into leveling in Dark Souls 2, or can I be spending that scrilla more effectively?

You can safely level, and the unlimited Tianite shards come after beating Iron Keep.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

zfleeman posted:

Yes, level forever. Soul Memory is the only thing that matters for matchmaking.

Chloanne will sell unlimited shards after you kill the next boss of the Keep.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Deaderinred posted:

you can still report players of cheating if you see it yourself, i've ratted out a few who were invincible in summoned pvp. kinda annoying and pointless when they do that. :|

that said, no idea what happens after the reporting, for all i know they might wind up in an email pit.

My understanding is that Steam support actually reacting to reports like that are very unlikely. After all, can you imagine how many false reports they get in a day?

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Beard Yawn posted:

Yes, level forever. Soul Memory is the only thing that matters for matchmaking.

Chloanne will sell unlimited shards after you kill the next boss of the Keep.

:dong:

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Oh God, I'm going to die laughing. I just acid surged an avelyn-wielding havel and broke all his stuff and he's fat rolling everywhere with no weapons. I can't breathe.

I just heard a bunch of cracks and suddenly he started fatrolling away like crazy. Oh poo poo this is too good.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Tallgeese posted:

My understanding is that Steam support actually reacting to reports like that are very unlikely. After all, can you imagine how many false reports they get in a day?

yeah that's what i thought, it does feels ripe for fake reports by some salty players to get back at someone for annihilating them.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tallgeese posted:

Unlike the 360 version I don't think the PC saves have been cracked yet for DS2. For DS1 nobody bothered putting out an editor that worked either.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Apparently if you attack a mimic from behind, it can activate and instantly bite you without an animation and instantly kill you. So that's good to know.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Giant Lord instantly killed me before he even spawned. :smith:

e: And there is nowhere I can stand I can't get hit by the explosions. Even though I am nowhere close to them. I'm not sure this is working as intended.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 8, 2014

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nuebot posted:

A bit late but you could have your cake and eat it too. Create a new account, use the steam family share to have access to all your games. Play the game without issue. Use vac-banned account to gently caress around to your hearts content.

I don't.... think VAC family share was a thing back then? I might do that going forward, though--I already made a family account share so I could play DS2.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

There is a safespot between the two exposions and at the bosses end

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

e: And there is nowhere I can stand I can't get hit by the explosions. Even though I am nowhere close to them. I'm not sure this is working as intended.

??? He doesn't spawn, he's always in the level. If you're talking about the shockwave from his sword, you can just roll to avoid it.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Was it dusty? Because he was alive and very spawned.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Domattee posted:

There is a safespot between the two exposions and at the bosses end

Nope. I just chugged estus flasks and alternated GRS attacks. Time to end things I guess. You'd think the herald would have something to say about any of this but she doesn't.

quote:

??? He doesn't spawn, he's always in the level. If you're talking about the shockwave from his sword, you can just roll to avoid it.

Was it dusty? Because he was alive and very spawned.

Apparently there was a head he threw at me, but the game decided it didn't need to draw that. Or him. I saw both the second time.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

FrancoFish posted:

My Great Lightning Spear takes about 6-7 to kill them. I guess 42 Faith may as well be 0 then?

I'm not sure if you are a hexer but I ran through dragon shrine with dark orb in two slots for 48 casts and I destroyed everything with a combo of dark sunset +5 and lightning mace +10. I wore hexer + lion mage. The only one's I used the mace on was the fast small guys near the ancient dragon and I back stabbed the caster. When doing Ancient dragon I just ran by everything their very predictable and easy to roll past.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

RBA Starblade posted:

Nope. I just chugged estus flasks and alternated GRS attacks. Time to end things I guess. You'd think the herald would have something to say about any of this but she doesn't.

Apparently there was a head he threw at me, but the game decided it didn't need to draw that. Or him. I saw both the second time.

When you first enter the area, there is a safe spot from the fireballs up on the ledge to left, near a corpse with some loot on it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wait that's it? The throne defenders and Nashandra are chumps. They can't take a hit at all! Or maybe my magic's just that strong.

e: Haha, I sat on the throne still a dragon man. Well, time to off Vendrick, maybe a dragon, then to jump into some abysses.

Kimmalah posted:

When you first enter the area, there is a safe spot from the fireballs up on the ledge to left, near a corpse with some loot on it.

I got blown up going up there too, annoyingly.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:05 on May 8, 2014

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I've been dragon PVPing on Iron Keep bridge for the better part of an evening, the Grand Lance R2 is the most satisfying attack I've ever used in a Souls game. You become a loving train.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My no deaths, no bonfires run is going surprisingly well so far. I've killed the Lost Sinner, the Old Iron King, and am now taking a detour to The Gutter before I head to spidertown. The Rotten has literally unbelievable tracking so I'm probably gonna lose to him, but it's only a few hours of progress lost either way.

"Please send help." - sincerely, chosen undead 2.0

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Poise bar what?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Studio posted:

Poise bar what?

Yeah, what is this enormous horseshit.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
A mod, obviously.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

FrancoFish posted:

They hit hard. I've tried heavy armor and light armor both. You are bad at making people mad.

But yeah, I'll try a bigger weapon. I've been fine up until now with the mace, but this area just seemed to spike upwards in difficulty for me.

i actually switched to my +5 mace that I hadn't used since Heid's for that area, and killed them in 4 or so hits, with a 40/40 str/dex build. I was doing like 350 damage a hit so IDK what your doin rong.

those guys seem to have good lightning resists though.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Studio posted:

Poise bar what?

Poison* It's a mod but it's the gutter so it's just a texture replacement for the little icon with an actual word.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok maybe I'm not beating Vendrick. GRS does diddlysquat, any attack guard breaks me (and has absurd tracking), any attack does 80% of my health. And I have 4 giant souls!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Ok maybe I'm not beating Vendrick. GRS does diddlysquat, any attack guard breaks me (and has absurd tracking), any attack does 80% of my health. And I have 4 giant souls!

Use your sword, fucker.