Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

DemonMage posted:

I like that one, don't know enough about block builds to say how good it is, but it seems cool!

It's loving amazing. Best armour shield in the game by far. Should be pretty close to Aegis Aurora in power level. Aegis is probably quite a bit better on the most expensive side of the scale, but this one is much easier to get going.

whypick1 posted:

https://twitter.com/RoryRackham/status/804493879407886336

Seems like getting the right gear and corrupting it and hoping you don't brick seems a bit much for the upside (unless you get really awesome corruptions, of course).

You'd probably be buying pre-corrupted itemes if you were to use it.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Dec 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

DemonMage posted:

https://twitter.com/hrishi2908/status/804492242475839488

I like that one, don't know enough about block builds to say how good it is, but it seems cool!

Uh this loving rules.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
I want to make love to that shield/use it on my character...not sure in what order though.

In either event, now convinced to go with my Gladiator build.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

BTW, servers will go down/patch will go live at 9AM PST/noon EST, come back up 3 hours later.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

whypick1 posted:

BTW, servers will go down/patch will go live at 9AM PST/noon EST, come back up 3 hours later.

hype levels skyrocketing

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Reading a newbie guide, it suggests keeping some skill gems in your Weapon Swap slots to level up and sell off. It suggests Arc, or Empower/Enhance/Enlighten. Are those still decent candidates, or are there any other good ones?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Empower, Enlighten, and Enhance are not common drops, but they are very good to level and take loving forever to do so.

I always try to level a spare copy or two of my main skill and or supports so I can 20% quality a copy while still using a level 20 later.

E - also a lot of builds will level as something else then switch over into the real skill in merciless or even maps. So you can keep leveling your real skills in the offhands while progressing though normal and cruel.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 2, 2016

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Level either your main skill, or whatever FOTM overpowered skill 50% of the playerbase is abusing, last time was blade vortex, looking like blade flurry this time, you can most likely sell off the gem everyone is using and then buy the skill you actually want and make a little extra in the process.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Yeah, you pretty much always want to level empower and enlighten if you find them. Enhance isn't nearly as much in demand but it's still a fine gem.

It's also always a good idea to get a second copy of your primary skill and level that like Bugsy said.

Always do that.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Also get haku in your hideout and grab a weapon from him with his signature mod on it, because empower and enlighten gain extra xp as their quality bonus.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
These are some god drat sexy uniques. Dat armor shield is legit.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

zxqv8 posted:

It's also always a good idea to get a second copy of your primary skill and level that like Bugsy said.

I'm not sure I understand the rationale. Is there some reason why having one copy of a skill be 20% quality and one be at 0% would be useful?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

10bux posted:

A visual way of knowing what map 3 of the previous tier vendor for, would be really helpful as well.
Aren't the trades always Atlas-adjacent? Or did I make that up?

Ghost of Starman posted:

I'm not sure I understand the rationale. Is there some reason why having one copy of a skill be 20% quality and one be at 0% would be useful?
You can take a level 20 gem and turn it into a level1/20%. So you swap to the other leveled one while the 20% catches up.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Ghost of Starman posted:

When you do the 20 quality recipe it resets it to level 1.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Ghost of Starman posted:

A level 20 gem + a GCP makes a level 1 gem with 20 quality. So for a lot of skills (spells especially) the level 20 gem is much better than the new 20 quality gem. Though with some supports, a level 1 20 quality gem is actually better than a level 20 gem with zero quality.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

Aren't the trades always Atlas-adjacent? Or did I make that up?

You can take a level 20 gem and turn it into a level1/20%. So you swap to the other leveled one while the 20% catches up.

Some maps are connected on the Atlas but aren't connected by tier upgrade, namely ones that don't have a tier upgrade. Torture Chamber is connected to Quay on the Atlas, but there's no recipe to make a Torture Chamber from 3 T10 maps.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 2, 2016

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Ohhhh, gotcha. I... don't think I knew about the "Lvl 20 -> Lvl 1, 20%q" recipe, so that's good to know!

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

DemonMage posted:

I think I know the answer to this but Necromantic aegis with this will not give all of your minions reckoning, yeah?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Anyone ever start a league with a vaal spark build? I've played it before, but not as a league starter and I'm just wondering if I'm going to hate myself and regret it during that initial gearing up phase where I'm playing as a ghetto sparker until I can get the jewels for it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

J posted:

Anyone ever start a league with a vaal spark build? I've played it before, but not as a league starter and I'm just wondering if I'm going to hate myself and regret it during that initial gearing up phase where I'm playing as a ghetto sparker until I can get the jewels for it.

There's nothing ghetto about spark.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

J posted:

I am dumb and bad and was able to get a Sparker with poo poo gear into T8 maps easily. Bosses are a huge pain, especially when you're too poor to roll Chaos on bad boss mods, but otherwise really doable.

I should also mention that I don't know gently caress all about any of the non-release PoE mechanics. I was rolling in all of these maps without even ascending my level 78 character.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Deki posted:

I think I know the answer to this but Necromantic aegis with this will not give all of your minions reckoning, yeah?

I honestly don't know if minions can have skills. My guess is no?

And congrats on 10 years of grinding those gears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJiMvDEKhxA

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Level either your main skill, or whatever FOTM overpowered skill 50% of the playerbase is abusing, last time was blade vortex, looking like blade flurry this time, you can most likely sell off the gem everyone is using and then buy the skill you actually want and make a little extra in the process.

This is likely less profitable with attack skill than spells, since most people don't try to corrupt 20/20 attacks for 21/20. If you know which spells are going to be in demand you're probably better off levelling one of those, even if the demand is lower than Blade Flurry.

Added chaos is also a good candidate if you find one.

Flying Spaghetti
Dec 1, 2002

Existence is overrated

DemonMage posted:

I'm playing from Malaysia and sometimes a get terrible lag spikes. Played tornado shot last league and it was so fragile. Any lags resulted in death. Looking for a much tankier build. That shield makes me want to play gladiator. Think I'm going to follow this build. Any other builds worth considering?

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1647240/page/1

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Deki posted:

I don't think there's anything in the game currently that could give your minions a triggered skill, so we won't know until someone actually tries it in-game or a dev tells us.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Flying Spaghetti posted:

Think I'm going to follow this build. Any other builds worth considering?

That build got me to tweak a couple things on my idea and make me feel better about doing it, thanks.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Deki posted:

i don't see any reason why it wouldn't

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

where the red fern gropes posted:

i don't see any reason why it wouldn't

"All bonuses from an equipped Shield apply to your Minions instead of you"
Reckoning isn't a bonus, it's a skill. You can basically consider the shield a 4link with one socket locked in.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.

ShutteredIn posted:

Uh this loving rules.

Yeah that shield is pretty wild. I'm guessing that's the upgraded form of one of the breachlord items based on the look and text. Haven't seen any indication of exactly how rare that's going to make it, but based on how strong some of them have looked I would guess on par with the guardian uniques at least. A max block character with that on would be nearly invincible to everything but giant single hits.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Count Uvula posted:

I don't think there's anything in the game currently that could give your minions a triggered skill, so we won't know until someone actually tries it in-game or a dev tells us.

Yeah I kind of figured. It'd be amazing if it somehow worked though. Crazy aoe spam with the block offering.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Can someone help me figure something out:
I'm running PewPewPew's Firestorm Witch, exactly as proscribed. I lucked into a Ungil's Harmony, and I'm trying to figure out if the increased Critical Strike Chance is worth the decreased Crit Multiplier. I would imagine that the crits applying elemental status effects would be nice, except that I already have Shaper of Desolation, so automatically get the status effects.
Not sure how to value everything versus everything else. :sigh:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ghost of Starman posted:

Can someone help me figure something out:
I'm running PewPewPew's Firestorm Witch, exactly as proscribed. I lucked into a Ungil's Harmony, and I'm trying to figure out if the increased Critical Strike Chance is worth the decreased Crit Multiplier. I would imagine that the crits applying elemental status effects would be nice, except that I already have Shaper of Desolation, so automatically get the status effects.
Not sure how to value everything versus everything else. :sigh:

His tree gets the keystone "Elemental Overload" which means your crits won't do any extra damage anyway, so the loss of crit multi doesnt actually do anything. Ungil's Harmony is a decent lower level amulet that helps you keep up the elemental overload buff if you dont want to bother with orb of storms.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Flying Spaghetti posted:

I'm playing from Malaysia and sometimes a get terrible lag spikes. Played tornado shot last league and it was so fragile. Any lags resulted in death. Looking for a much tankier build. That shield makes me want to play gladiator. Think I'm going to follow this build. Any other builds worth considering?

Juggernaut Blade Flurry

Elerion
May 31, 2011

TheRat posted:

"All bonuses from an equipped Shield apply to your Minions instead of you"
Reckoning isn't a bonus, it's a skill. You can basically consider the shield a 4link with one socket locked in.

For what it's worth, Victario's Charity has a "x% chance to grant a power/frenzy charge on kill/hit" property which does work with Necromantic Aegis. That's a straight item property and not a skill, though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Flying Spaghetti posted:

Are you not able to log in to SG servers? You might need to type in "Singapore" into the realm box.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Elerion posted:

For what it's worth, Victario's Charity has a "x% chance to grant a power/frenzy charge on kill/hit" property which does work with Necromantic Aegis. That's a straight item property and not a skill, though.

easy thing to test: see if Jaws of Agongy makes your SRS throw around Bear Traps

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Goa Tse-tung posted:

easy thing to test: see if Jaws of Agongy makes your SRS throw around Bear Traps

I don't expect minions would ever use active skills, even if they could receive them. That would mess with their AI. Passive / triggered skills like Reckoning could be possible.

Someone on reddit said it worked like TheRat said - the Reckoning bit is basically a 4th skill gem, which doesn't transfer with Necromantic Aegis.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
The minions won't have reckoning level 30.

That shield is really good, i can think of a few circumstances where its just strait better than aegis.

e1: Its sort of like linking your flame golem to curse on hit+curse. They don't curse anything.

e2: Take necromantic aegis and put tempest shield in your shield, you can still cast it for yourself and it in no way benefits your munsters.

funmanguy fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 2, 2016

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
i kinda want to make a build that uses Malachai's Vision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Spaghetti
Dec 1, 2002

Existence is overrated

Phobophilia posted:

Are you not able to log in to SG servers? You might need to type in "Singapore" into the realm box.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've been using the Australia servers. I would swear Singapore was not there during the first month of Essence league. Avg ping went from 150 ms to 19 ms. This should help a lot.

• Locked thread