Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
the us is going to be a blighted plagueland for the foreseeable future and i would certainly hope any country with sense doesn't let americans in

i'm under the assumption that it's never getting better here, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Martytoof posted:

There's way too many variables IMO. My gut feeling is that, yes, the travel restrictions will be lifted, but even if it is open for tourism the chance of a second wave of COVID has me re-evaluating my own plans for a December trip.

:sigh: That reminds me, I was supposed to be on a flight to Japan in two days :(

I'm super happy I managed to visist Japan just right before everything got really bad (two weeks in february).

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mikeycp posted:

the us is going to be a blighted plagueland for the foreseeable future and i would certainly hope any country with sense doesn't let americans in

i'm under the assumption that it's never getting better here, tbh

Even bubonic plague didn't stick around forever as a pandemic even though several hundred people still contract the disease every year.
Might take a couple of years until things more or less return to normal, though.

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for any Japanese 80s style rock or such?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Bofast posted:

Even bubonic plague didn't stick around forever as a pandemic even though several hundred people still contract the disease every year.
Might take a couple of years until things more or less return to normal, though.

presumably people were trying to fix that, though

also by never i mostly mean for the rest of my lifespan, however long or short that may be

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Well since Japan has closed its doors to foreigners and Japanese onsen have closed their doors to visitors, Arima Onsen have put up virtual tours of their onsen. Now you too can get the full Arima onsen experience by sitting in your bath with a VR headset on!

http://onsenvr.com/en/

Its pretty cool how Japanese places have started doing these things. I especially like this Tokyo museum that lets you just walk through the entire museum

https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=i7hrHfp7VE2

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Yes, I will sit in a bathtub with an electric device on my head.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Bofast posted:

Anyway, does anyone have recommendations for any Japanese 80s style rock or such?

Blue Hearts and yankee poo poo like Yokohama Ginbae, forever.
B'z, Spitz, Loudness…

This is my record hunt right now.
https://youtu.be/7gckW7F8id0

BB2K
Oct 9, 2012

Bofast posted:

P model and the solo stuff by their front man hirasawa susumu rules

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
With the cancelled trip and increasing likeliness of tourism not resuming for the rest of the year I'm tempted to see what cards I would need to play to get transferred to my company's Tokyo office (though I'm pretty sure the answer would be to stop being a computer toucher and start being a sales person or some other truly awful trade off). As long as I can't speak to anyone in person I might as well add a language barrier to the mix too, right?

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon

captkirk posted:

With the cancelled trip and increasing likeliness of tourism not resuming for the rest of the year I'm tempted to see what cards I would need to play to get transferred to my company's Tokyo office (though I'm pretty sure the answer would be to stop being a computer toucher and start being a sales person or some other truly awful trade off). As long as I can't speak to anyone in person I might as well add a language barrier to the mix too, right?

From what I hear it's almost always the opposite case (bolded).

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

captkirk posted:

especially in Tokyo the opposite seems to be true, there are some firms with IT staff that are mostly foreign. I think it depends on the requirements, but if you're interfacing with other parts of IT in a global company, knowing the systems and how to operate with other offices would be more important. if you're trying to be the IT person as computer janitor for a local office it might be tougher, but that all depends.

one big difference though -- software dev paychecks especially aren't as stratospheric as they are in, say, the Bay Area, Seattle, or other parts of the US. They still pay well, but not always six-figure (USD adjusted). that said, that level of paycheck isn't required to get by in Tokyo at all.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

harperdc posted:

especially in Tokyo the opposite seems to be true, there are some firms with IT staff that are mostly foreign. I think it depends on the requirements, but if you're interfacing with other parts of IT in a global company, knowing the systems and how to operate with other offices would be more important. if you're trying to be the IT person as computer janitor for a local office it might be tougher, but that all depends.

one big difference though -- software dev paychecks especially aren't as stratospheric as they are in, say, the Bay Area, Seattle, or other parts of the US. They still pay well, but not always six-figure (USD adjusted). that said, that level of paycheck isn't required to get by in Tokyo at all.

I'm a site reliability engineer at a tech company (think software dev but with more knowledge about how servers work) but our Tokyo office is actually a sales office. So even if I can get transferred to our Tokyo office I would be working with a software team out of the US.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

Blue Hearts and yankee poo poo like Yokohama Ginbae, forever.
B'z, Spitz, Loudness…

This is my record hunt right now.
https://youtu.be/7gckW7F8id0

BB2K posted:

P model and the solo stuff by their front man hirasawa susumu rules

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

captkirk posted:

I'm a site reliability engineer at a tech company (think software dev but with more knowledge about how servers work) but our Tokyo office is actually a sales office. So even if I can get transferred to our Tokyo office I would be working with a software team out of the US.

Just apply at a Japanese company, there's always lots of jobs for ops ppl.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
genki desu ~~~~ (^^)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My EMS packages have been stuck in logistics hell for the past four weeks now. I know delivery to USA has been cancelled but I'm in Canada -- c'mon JP :mad:

I've been kind of curbing my non-travel depression by popping into VR and doing some google streetview tourism of where I was supposed to be today. Today is arrival day, and a short jaunt from HND to Hamamatsucho, then on to Tokyo Stn. for my train to Osaka. But first maybe a little sightseeing around the area. Mhm. Very nice. And now onto Osaka. Since it's clearly not 10pm when I'm arriving I'm doing a little walking tour from Shin-Osaka to Namba for my AirBnB. Definitely a different vibe to this city. I don't think it comes across very well on Google Street View so I'm looking forward to seeing it in person in 2021, dog willing.

I know from the outside this sounds absolutely braindead, but doing the GSV in VR is really fun, it turns out. Who'd have thought?

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
So I had my job interview and it went very well. The position isn't in Tokyo though, it's in Okinawa. I really had gotten my hopes up for Tokyo so it's gone from something I'm really excited about to just something I'm.considering 😔

I'm also looking at best case scenario a 15% pay cut and no relocation help, though maybe I can negotiate a better deal as we move forward. It's going to be hard to figure out because they use a bonus system which sounds very common.

So how's Okinawa? I'm a little worried about typhoon season. The cost of living looks very good. I suppose it's still a good opportunity to practice Japanese. Do they still have sweet Lawson's selection and prices at convenience stores? Im not enthusiastic about the entire foreigner community being military, do I have that stereotype right?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I hated Okinawa when I was there for 3 days limited to American Village and the surrounding walkable area.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Macaroni Surprise posted:

So I had my job interview and it went very well. The position isn't in Tokyo though, it's in Okinawa. I really had gotten my hopes up for Tokyo so it's gone from something I'm really excited about to just something I'm.considering 😔

I'm also looking at best case scenario a 15% pay cut and no relocation help, though maybe I can negotiate a better deal as we move forward. It's going to be hard to figure out because they use a bonus system which sounds very common.

So how's Okinawa? I'm a little worried about typhoon season. The cost of living looks very good. I suppose it's still a good opportunity to practice Japanese. Do they still have sweet Lawson's selection and prices at convenience stores? Im not enthusiastic about the entire foreigner community being military, do I have that stereotype right?

okinawa is beautiful and the food is very good. the us army there are known for raping and murdering locals and generally being scum but nobody is going to treat you weirdly if you dont look like a soldier or just explain that you have nothing to do with the base

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Macaroni Surprise posted:

It’s Japan’s Hawaii (for those who don’t want to go to Hawaii or Guam). Very built around the tourist industries, especially outside of Naha. You can tell right away that the major roadways were built by Americans after WWII, the size and scale of the suburbs outside Naha is more like America than Japanese cities.

It’s fun and there’s a lot to say for being outside Tokyo to start. Plus you’d get to learn not just Japanese but Okinawa-ben, and probably some real local stuff as well. But it’s not the big big city, and much more requires a car and driver’s license.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Okinawa sounds like a really cool place to like.. rent a motorcycle and go coasting up and down the island, but I've been looking at it and not being a beach type person I can't imagine it'll be something I do often. I'd much rather do a mountain onsen :haw:

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Shibawanko posted:

okinawa is beautiful and the food is very good. the us army there are known for raping and murdering locals and generally being scum but nobody is going to treat you weirdly if you dont look like a soldier or just explain that you have nothing to do with the base

Keep your hair long

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

My EMS packages have been stuck in logistics hell for the past four weeks now. I know delivery to USA has been cancelled but I'm in Canada -- c'mon JP :mad:

I've been kind of curbing my non-travel depression by popping into VR and doing some google streetview tourism of where I was supposed to be today. Today is arrival day, and a short jaunt from HND to Hamamatsucho, then on to Tokyo Stn. for my train to Osaka. But first maybe a little sightseeing around the area. Mhm. Very nice. And now onto Osaka. Since it's clearly not 10pm when I'm arriving I'm doing a little walking tour from Shin-Osaka to Namba for my AirBnB. Definitely a different vibe to this city. I don't think it comes across very well on Google Street View so I'm looking forward to seeing it in person in 2021, dog willing.

I know from the outside this sounds absolutely braindead, but doing the GSV in VR is really fun, it turns out. Who'd have thought?

Back when I bought my VR headset I used the VR version of Google Earth to fly around Mt Fuji and parts of Tokyo, so I won't judge :)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Outgoing EMS from Japan has been stopped and they have like a months long backlog for the stuff that did get into the system before the late April deadline.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I wonder what'll happen to stuff slated to ship, say, a month or two from now

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mikeycp posted:

I wonder what'll happen to stuff slated to ship, say, a month or two from now

A lot of places have removed EMS and SAL as shipping options and suggest FedEx and DHL instead. Some will delay shipping if you prefer that. I have a box that made it to the post office two weeks before the EMS cutoff but didn’t make it out. :(

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

yeah, to specify, it's Japan Post not operating anymore air mail because the number of international flights has dropped so much. So now they're only doing surface shipments in limited amounts.

DHL and FedEx still are operating at some level (probably because they don't piggyback off the airlines?) but not sure. In any case, international shipping is probably going to be a mess for a while.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

oh i'll check that stuff in the morning then. i don't know what the gf chose for shipping options back in january

MoofOntario
Jan 10, 2007

To Maintain the System the Abusive Power is Sometimes Necessary
-Pappa Brittle

harperdc posted:

yeah, to specify, it's Japan Post not operating anymore air mail because the number of international flights has dropped so much. So now they're only doing surface shipments in limited amounts.

DHL and FedEx still are operating at some level (probably because they don't piggyback off the airlines?) but not sure. In any case, international shipping is probably going to be a mess for a while.

I'm not sure at what level DHL is working in Japan but amazon.co.jp seems to have switched completely to DHL for international shipments, in my experience, and I got a package from amazon.co.jp to Canada, ordered May 1, shipped May 5, arrived May 7 , was surprisingly (to me) quick after hearing lots of stories about shipments out of Japan being slow/stopped (but I guess now that's just EMS/Japanpost?)

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Okinawa is very similar to Hawaii economically, with a sharp drop in affluence and infrastructure just 20 minutes away from downtown. The food is diverse, and there's so much nature to explore.

The airport is really well connected for both domestic/international in normal, non-pandemic circumstances. https://www.naha-airport.co.jp/en/flight/city_list/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Stringent fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 16, 2020

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
The last cigarette I ever smoked was stolen from you, and that fact alone will keep me tobacco free for the rest of my life.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m glad I’m an alcohol person and not a smoke person.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Totally original idea, Japan.
https://abc7ny.com/blue-angels-nyc-fly-over-flight-path-coronavirus/6132691/

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I kinda respect how instead of multi-role fighters they just use subsonic trainers.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Other than driving on the left, are there any esoteric road rules that one needs to be aware of when renting a vehicle in Japan? I’m planning on doing a motorcycle trip around Okinawa in 2022 but what better time to start reading and planning than now.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

No turns on a red light.
The stop line at intersections may seem too far back, until a bus turns that corner and you realize they need that space.
Some intersections have pedestrian/bicycle only lights, different from crosswalk lights.
You can park anywhere if you leave your blinkers on, lol.
Trust no one.
Enjoy!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I think at least some parts of Japan have rules against using earphones/-buds while riding a motorcycle, so don't do that :)
https://livejapan.com/en/article-a0000201/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Assuming you have a car/motorcycle license from your home country (Canada?). Make sure to get an International Driving Permit before you leave from home and have that plus your home license when driving.

The other recommendation I'd make is to not cut it too close on gas, especially in the countryside. Lots of gas stations are closed Sundays and close fairly early -- 8 or 9 pm sometimes.

Also, the highways are toll roads for the most part, and it's kind of hit and miss if you'll get the Electronic Toll Control card/reader on a bike if you're renting. So that means carry cash and go through the green cash lanes instead of the purple ETC reader lanes at toll booths. I know there's a portion of big highway on Okinawa that's a toll highway, and "oh I'm going to drive through the countryside" yeah but the highway cuts beyond the US bases and gets you into the countryside. Especially since the non-toll highways are generally posted at all of 50 kph :v: