Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henker
May 5, 2009

DinoGenics is currently doing a second printing/expansion KS, anyone have any experience with the game? Particularly in comparison to the other dinosaur park game, Dinosaur Island. The latter got a lot more attention, but I wonder how much of that was due to 1) it coming out first and 2) the wild artstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

How is Prêt à porter ? Economic game with a reasonable play time and interesting theme seems like an impossible intersection of what I'm in to.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

OgreNoah posted:

It made me sad that Harpy won instead of Sphinx, which looked much cooler.

Good news!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

After watching the Rhado play-through of Etherfields I am 80% positive I will end up dropping my pledge. I want to like the game but the mechanics fall flat for me in the video.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I haven't seen that vid yet, what didn't you like about it? I'm wondering before I go in so I can keep an eye out for anything in particular since I sometimes have trouble keeping up with long playthrough vids

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

To fair it could just be me or Rhado video but it appears to be nothing more than a really long fancy hand management game, with a lot of extra stuff piled on to pull in more backers.

On the other hand the Dice Throne game appears to be a game my wife and I would enjoy so maybe I will toss them some cash.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Etherfield is giving me KD:M vibes, in the sense of they seem to be leaning on the weirdness and super-intricate minis more than the game itself.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
This kickstarter is loving amazing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/90998762/a-call-to-arms-chess-set

quote:

What if a chess pieces represented the hands or tools of each piece?

Opposing chess pieces are mirrors of each other , only differentiated by color?

Why can't Pawns and Rooks be similar but not the same. Easily recognizable, yet completely playable? Why can't I capture the spirit of a piece yet give it its own identity?

quote:

Your opponent might spend more time studying each piece than their next move. Then you win. You are welcome. I have thought about how I envisioned this set for a long time.

quote:

How this all started.

“No! It has to be as if you are holding the word KING in your hand!”

That is how it started. I came to Las Vegas to open a second chess store with dear friends. We sold all kinds of chess sets, but we focused on themed chess sets. King Arthur, Civil War, even Poseidon. Differentiating which piece easy with those sets. Not so much with endangered species set. So the ocelot is the Bishop? The black bear is a Knight, but the North American brown bear is a Rook?

I was getting frustrated hearing every day at the store, “these sets look pretty cool, but I would spend more time figuring out which piece was which instead of my next move.”

quote:

After a long discussion, and many Long Island Iced Teas, for fun, we came upon the idea of making our own.

Paul:” We could glue computer chips into the shape of a horse. A computer set!”

Many Long Island Iced Teas.

That’s when I said it. I can still recall myself holding the salt shaker, frozen by that phrase.

I held onto the phrase for a long time.

Sorry for basically quoting most of the kickstarter but that page is extremely quotable.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The video is, uh, something, too.

"Naturally, form follows function. But why does function have to be so boring?"

Which of course means chess pawns look like…bows and arrows? Or shields? Rooks are naturally…doors, or giant meaty arms throwing rocks over crenels?

I guess bishops being praying hands or a book makes sen—holy loving poo poo incredibly loud Bible passage!?

"I can use a kiln" *?a big grin with finger guns?*

I guess he's really busy since he recorded the last part of his pitch video with his phone in his car.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
guys I'm a genius

what if

chess

but anime girls

if you use this idea I want a cut of your no doubt billions of funding dollars

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Lunatic Sledge posted:

guys I'm a genius

what if

chess

but anime girls

if you use this idea I want a cut of your no doubt billions of funding dollars

Yes, hi, I’d like to order a chest set please.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Bieeanshee posted:

That CMON announcement is shades of Golem Arcana... which looks like it had its mobile apps discontinued sometime in the last few years. Whoops.

Yeah it turns out that apps rot much faster than expected. I was really excited by Ice-Bound Concordance ... and the app's now gone.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Fuuuuuck. I remember drooling over that, especially since I didn't have a device that could run the AR app. That makes me sad.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In other kickstarter news, here are 3 games that look neat, cool, interesting, and/or wholesome.

İnkılâp
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1786399936/inklap

Complexcity
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bigkidgames/complexcity-by-sen-foong-lim-and-jay-cormier

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PXGYL8TNOQ

Magical Kitties Save the Day!
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasgames/magical-kitties-save-the-day

quote:

Every Magical Kitty has a human. Every human has a Problem. In Magical Kitties Save the Day, you need to use your magical powers to solve problems and save the day!

But kitties live in Hometowns that are filled with Troubles like witches, aliens, and hyper-intelligent raccoons. Troubles make Problems worse, so the kitties need to go on adventures to take care of the Troubles before that can happen.

Magical Kitties Save the Day is a roleplaying game designed for all-ages. Older players — whether they’re parents, babysitters, teachers, or older siblings — can be the Game Master for kids as young as six-years-old and everyone else who loves kitties. If you’ve been looking for a way to introduce your friends and family to roleplaying games, Magical Kitties is the perfect game to do it!

You’ve never played a roleplaying game, either? Purr-fect! Magical Kitties includes a lot of tools — including a solo play module so that you can start playing within moments of opening the box! — and guidance for both first-time roleplayers and first-time GMs. Whether you’ve played board games with roleplaying elements like Mice & Mystics or T.I.M.E. Stories, watched actual play videos, or just think roleplaying games sound like a lot of fun and you want to give them a try, Magical Kitties can be your first step into a larger world.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I have zero interest in a game that cites Mice & Mystics and T.I.M.E. Stories as its reference points, and is praised by Emma, the nine-year-old nephew, but 482 people disagree with me right now.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homullus posted:

and is praised by Emma, the nine-year-old nephew

No no no Emma is not the nephew, her name is Nephew.

homullus posted:

I have zero interest in a game that cites Mice & Mystics and T.I.M.E. Stories as its reference points

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 20, 2019

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
It is being advertised on KARTAS, so that surely helps give it a boost on KS.

Didn't Ron Edwards write an RPG about being a cat way back in the long long ago?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jimbozig posted:

It is being advertised on KARTAS, so that surely helps give it a boost on KS.

Didn't Ron Edwards write an RPG about being a cat way back in the long long ago?

John Wick did. So did Evil Hat, but I don't remember the specific author.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

Etherfield is giving me KD:M vibes, in the sense of they seem to be leaning on the weirdness and super-intricate minis more than the game itself.

Awaken Realms has alway shad very intricate minis, but they've had a pretty good track record (excluding some english/translation issues) in terms of delivering a decent game.

KD:M only went on the super weird minis later on because of the demand, the original game was pretty decent in balancing the two.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

That Old Tree posted:

John Wick did. So did Evil Hat, but I don't remember the specific author.

The Secrets of Cats, by Richard Bellingham

There's also Laser Kittens by Cheyenne Grimes and Stentor Danielsen.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

That Old Tree posted:

The video is, uh, something, too.

"Naturally, form follows function. But why does function have to be so boring?"

He got form and function backwards in the second sentence. :argh:

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Maybe he thinks playing chess is boring.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Honestly crushing it.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Complexcity has lost money since I posted that pic :(

They only have 9 days left. This is their second time trying to kickstart it, first campaign was cancelled for whatever reason. I really want them to succeed because it looks like a fun game and I really like the aesthetic and art and more tile-laying city-building games is cool, but I don't know if there is much of a chance for them to get the money before the campaign ends. Their kickstarter doesn't seem to have any momentum now and with it actively losing money, I'm having my doubts they'll be able to pull it off. I'm really hoping for them but I'm not sure what else they could do at this point. I imagine it doesn't help that there are several other high-profile kickstarter board game pitches going on right that they have to contend with.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The latest Fragged Empire kickstarter has five days left and is within spitting distance of their goal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

The latest Fragged Empire kickstarter has five days left and is within spitting distance of their goal.
I don't know. I want to support it but I haven't even read much from the last one :(

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I don't know. I want to support it but I haven't even read much from the last one :(
...you read your RPGs?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Evil Mastermind posted:

...you read your RPGs?

what kind of fucken nerd does that lol

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

I mean Fragged * kinda discourages you from reading it, even.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Nonsense, fragged is extremely readable

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

As a reference, sure. But it's pretty bad at reading from start to finish. And the various spinoffs are worse, because they're just patches on the main rulebook, listing what's different, so you have to constantly flip back and forth.

Serf
May 5, 2011

fragged is pretty incomprehensible and i would pay money for a version written for humans

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Are we talking something like Starfleet Battles here?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

...you read your RPGs?
I mean ... yeah? I at least try to... Some of them...

And my usual policy is not to spend more after the initial core unless there's a concrete plan to get the game on the table. (Or I have enjoyed reading it.)

I am mostly getting PDFs these days and staring at my huge collection of unread/unplayed games is more likely to create a feeling of shame than a feeling of accomplishment at my collection. :)

I feel like I need a hardcopy of Fragged in order to understand the game itself; the PDF is hard to get into, and I'm a compulsive page-flipper when teaching myself a game.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I've had similar issues with Fragged, and it bums me out. I have the base game and the last 3 supplements (not-bloodborne, pirates, and the other one). I really want to run it with my group, but I have a hard time digesting the books and end up just setting it aside to tackle later. I feel like I need a primer for idiots that goes over base level stuff, and then dive into the books for more information from there.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
Try the quick-start guide, free on drivethrurpg

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Anyone hear anything good or bad about Middara?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ego Trip posted:

The art ranges from neat to dumb, the updates are silly, I'm excited to try it out some day but I totally understand why someone would look at it and decide that they wouldn't like it. Basically, if you think a sorta cyoa plot-heavy game that looks like that is neat then you'll probably like it, and if you think it looks bad then I can't imagine much changing your mind on that.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ego Trip posted:

I backed the first Kickstarter. It was EXTREMELY delayed. They kept in constant contact throughout the entire process, but I'd expect delays for this new Kickstarter, too, if I'm being honest. They ultimately delivered on what they promised, so I don't hold any ill will (and backed this new KS, to boot). It plays similar to Gloomhaven, but it's much more story focused. I'd describe it as a persistent, story-guided, dungeon crawler. My group actually likes it more than Gloomhaven, with the caveat that like FirstAidKite said, the art ranges from great to stupid. There's lots of plot and exposition (and audio recordings to play via an app, etc), so if that sounds like your bag, I'd say it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Fragged isn't "incomprehensible." The way it's organized is a little rough on a first impression but once you dig into it it's not that complicated a system. Everything (including combat) is 3d6 resolution with a few conditional bonuses you have to remember how to apply, and the only really gnarly/complicated parts are how Rate of Fire works, and the optional / completely silo'd space combat mechanics.

Honestly I think half the problem is that people look at it and think there must be some incredibly complicated subsystem that they're missing. There isn't. What it does have is a lot of rules content that's relegated to specific traits instead of being universal (e.g. there are relatively few status effects and many of them just apply a keyword that other stuff interacts with) but the great thing about that is they're all designed so that you only have to know about them if you're using them, and if you're using them, everything you need to know is written right in the trait's text.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jul 22, 2019